FSU c/o2014 Applicants!

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
Sandro

Re: FSU c/o2014 Applicants!

Postby Sandro » Thu Feb 17, 2011 4:47 pm

Just checked in, reminded the front desk guy my ug beat fsu in football, got a nice room overlooking the pool 8) nap time.

NCtoDC

Postby NCtoDC » Thu Feb 17, 2011 5:19 pm

Sandro wrote:Just checked in, reminded the front desk guy my ug beat fsu in football, got a nice room overlooking the pool 8) nap time.

haha we got a room overlooking the pool too!

FeelTheHeat

Postby FeelTheHeat » Thu Feb 17, 2011 6:52 pm

In Tallahassee! Tonight should be fun, see you guys at 7:30.

Barbie

Postby Barbie » Thu Feb 17, 2011 7:08 pm

Finally here. Friends are tempting me to go drink with them. Can I get a contact # from one of you guys (along with a real name) via PM?

leidice

Postby leidice » Thu Feb 17, 2011 7:09 pm

It's a great day for y'all to be arriving! Some of the nicest weather all year (2011). Looking forward to tonight! :)

Barbie

Postby Barbie » Thu Feb 17, 2011 7:55 pm

I'll prob text all of you who sent me your numbers, but my friends said that On the Border (on monroe st.) is the only place they know of right now that all drinks are 2-4-1 so I guess thats where they want to go! Not sure if you guys were set on thai but you are all more than welcome to join, its just my sister, friend and his roommate. I'll message you all back my # and you can let me know! I'll be leaving the double tree and heading there in like 20 and anyone is welcome to ride!

Sandro

Postby Sandro » Thu Feb 17, 2011 8:40 pm

Miami we left for on the border on monroe, meet us there

Barbie

Postby Barbie » Fri Feb 18, 2011 11:52 am

If you plan on going to FSU, go ahead and put a few hundred dollars away for the towing fees you will end up paying at some point. It's $120 per time, if you're curious. The law school should really just add that into your expected expenses. :cry:

gotcha

Postby gotcha » Fri Feb 18, 2011 11:54 am

Barbie wrote:If you plan on going to FSU, go ahead and put a few hundred dollars away for the towing fees you will end up paying at some point. It's $120 per time, if you're curious. The law school should really just add that into your expected expenses. :cry:

lmao

rmjones03

Postby rmjones03 » Fri Feb 18, 2011 12:20 pm

I hope yall have fun!! Wish I were there! Let us know how it goes/what yall think, and if you do take pics, please post them:)

Sorry you got towed Barbie!!!!

Sandro

Postby Sandro » Fri Feb 18, 2011 1:45 pm

Fsu>uf

FeelTheHeat

Postby FeelTheHeat » Fri Feb 18, 2011 2:05 pm

Sandro wrote:Fsu>uf

However, my car wasn't towed which certainly would influence my perception lol

minuit

Postby minuit » Fri Feb 18, 2011 2:06 pm

<3 the FSU love! Super jealous, I'm stuck at work until 5 only a couple blocks away from the school. Ugh!

Also, that sucks you already got towed, Barbie. Towing is a booming business in this town.

leidice

Postby leidice » Fri Feb 18, 2011 4:17 pm

minuit wrote:<3 the FSU love! Super jealous, I'm stuck at work until 5 only a couple blocks away from the school. Ugh!

Also, that sucks you already got towed, Barbie. Towing is a booming business in this town.

Lol. I like to think that nobody is a true Tally resident or student until they're towed. For me, it only took 1 time before I learned my lesson!

Barbie

Postby Barbie » Fri Feb 18, 2011 5:18 pm

The tow was bad luck and stupidity. The huge ass WHITE scratch the red neck left on my BLACK audi, however, is pure bad luck. Still crying inside about that.

leidice

Postby leidice » Fri Feb 18, 2011 5:19 pm

Barbie wrote:The tow was bad luck and stupidity. The huge ass WHITE scratch the red neck left on my BLACK audi, however, is pure bad luck. Still crying inside about that.

That part does completely suck. :(

FeelTheHeat

Postby FeelTheHeat » Fri Feb 18, 2011 5:44 pm

TLSers know how to party, I was very surprised lol

The presentation was good, nothing was particularly noteworthy but I've yet to experience anything that says Tallanasty will be a bad choice.

LSATmakesMeNeurotic

Postby LSATmakesMeNeurotic » Fri Feb 18, 2011 6:49 pm

I'm not gunna lie, I liked FSU a lot. It seems there is a LOT of love between the professors and the students. Don't think I heard "the professors are very accessible" enough today.

NCtoDC

Postby NCtoDC » Fri Feb 18, 2011 7:33 pm

Yeah, I enjoyed it also. Not the prettiest facility but the atmosphere was great. It was awesome "knowing" people there hahaha. I think we def stood out.

leidice

Postby leidice » Fri Feb 18, 2011 8:43 pm

FeelTheHeat wrote:TLSers know how to party, I was very surprised lol

Haha, TLSers have shown we can work hard and party hard :D

NCtoDC wrote:Yeah, I enjoyed it also. Not the prettiest facility but the atmosphere was great. It was awesome "knowing" people there hahaha.I think we def stood out.

FTFY :)

And FSU did a really good job at their recruiting! Lots of yummy food and free FSU gear!

FeelTheHeat

Postby FeelTheHeat » Sat Feb 19, 2011 12:00 am

LSATmakesMeNeurotic wrote:I'm not gunna lie, I liked FSU a lot. It seems there is a LOT of love between the professors and the students. Don't think I heard "the professors are very accessible" enough today.

This is 100% correct. A few other random notes/observations I made...

-The school architecture itself is nothing special, but the Court of Appeals building they are acquiring across the street is badass. Should be a really neat addition.

-After the tour I drove around campus for a while to get a feel for it. From two days worth of checking it out it seems the the Law School is in a fantastic location, far away enough from the undergrad life to where it doesn't infiltrate the law area but close enough that if you want something to do it is a really quick walk/drive away. I REALLY liked the school itself, made Miami feel like even more of a different country then it already does.

-You obviously put your best foot forward for these events, but the professors, students, and dean himself were all great. Dean Wiedner certainly seemed like a nice and knowledgable man, but more importantly to me he didn't avoid addressing the economy and job situation. In particular, he mentioned how schools pay firms to employ students through the rankings period as to count as employed, and even admitted to doing so with 3 students last year. Really appreciated the transparency.

-I can totally see why it is called Tallanasty. It is almost a weirdly endearing quality, though. While much of the city definitely earns the name, I did not mind it whatsoever myself, and actually found it pretty charming. Certainly rampant with undergrads, but the town is big enough to escape them and go to "big kid" places without mixing it up with the young 'uns.

-Law library average. Not a selling point.

-Football stadium is a place of worship. I had never actually seen Doak Campbell stadium and was utterly blown away. I took plenty of pictures of it which I should have up later.

-There are four houses in front of the law school itself for the Law Review, Alumni Association, etc. I really liked them and thought they added a lot to the general feel of the environment.

-As mentioned earlier, promoted the hell out of professor/student relationships. As someone who slacked off a LOT in undergrad and didn't really do much in terms of contact with professors, it wasn't a huge selling point for me, but given what I've learned of the nature of law school I can see that coming really in handy down the road.

-The grouper for lunch wasn't particularly good, wish I would have gone with the chicken.

-TLSers are great and made the trip infinitely more enjoyable, particular the Thursday night antics. Not quite the night I was expecting but a damn good one lol

-If you were already pretty set on Tallahassee like I was, the day did nothing to dissuade you from coming. I feel confident that I am making a good decision should I choose to attend. I've read in previous threads that they have something of an inferiority complex to UF they show during these events; I observed nothing of the sort. They are EXTREMELY confident in themselves of being able to set up strong internships during the 1L and spoke highly of their alumni network. The capitol influence is clear-I think that wishing to go into the public interest sector, one would be better off choosing FSU over UF even at sticker. But I digress. I have to imagine the capitol being a five minute walk away is a HUGE plus.

-For some reason everyone attending looked really young. Then again, I look like I'm 15 so I'm not really one to talk.

-Adding this cause Barbie mentioned it, but there was definitely a lack of the cut throat feel one usually gets in law school. I think a LOT of it has to do with the fact the scholarships have no stipulations. I even said myself that if I was competing with, for example, other UM students to keep a 24k/year scholarship, I sure as hell wouldn't want to help them take my money. l understand that in law school this competition preexists because of the curve, but it is magnified MANY times over because of the $$$$ stips. The relative friendliness between the students were a big selling point for me. Can't believe I forgot to mention this. Alas.

-Lastly, I can't see the trip in and of itself making anyone's final decision (except Barbie's lmao), but if you are choosing between several schools (see: UF, UM) I think a visit will go a long way. I loved the environment and could completely see myself attending. Hopefully some of the rest of you feel the same way.

If anyone has any questions, I'll be happy to answer them as best as I can. I'll probably throw up some pictures between Saturday and Sunday.
Last edited by FeelTheHeat on Sat Feb 19, 2011 12:28 am, edited 2 times in total.

Barbie

Postby Barbie » Sat Feb 19, 2011 12:22 am

haha! My misfortune has no bearing on the law school. I was actually really impressed in the time I was there. It definitly does NOT have the cut-throat feel I get from UF. I felt confident in myself the moment I walked in, and until I walked out. I didn't get the vibe that anyone was out for blood in the least. At UF, I remember feeling that quite a bit, but it wasn't an ASD so next week might be different. I thought the law campus was better than I thought it would be! I wonder if it is frowned upon to walk on the grass :D :D :D

Anyways, who of the FSU TLS group is headed to GVille next week? Lets repeat Thursday, except NOT on Thursday... oh and I'm not driving.

Cool Brees

Postby Cool Brees » Sat Feb 19, 2011 12:42 am

Great summary.

The special part of the school for me, is the tightness of the student community. FSU seems like an enjoyable law experience, that focuses just as much on building relationships, as it does academics. Some of the faculty accomplishments were impressive, but I am sure that is the case at many schools. However, two standouts for me were having a Florida Supreme Court Justice teach at your school and having the guy who essentially wrote the book on evidence as a member of the faculty. Lastly, for me, the school's greatest asset is the capital setting and having access to the legislative side of the law.

Unrelated, I was actually given a free ticket to the ball game (so, I did not have to sit in bleacher/ general admission student section). It was a pretty cool atmosphere, and the fans were as passionate about baseball, as I expected. Pretty good crowd for a Friday @ 4 game. I took some pictures, but none really captured the setting that well. I might post one up later.

LSATmakesMeNeurotic

Postby LSATmakesMeNeurotic » Sat Feb 19, 2011 10:54 am

Barbie wrote:haha! My misfortune has no bearing on the law school. I was actually really impressed in the time I was there. It definitly does NOT have the cut-throat feel I get from UF. I felt confident in myself the moment I walked in, and until I walked out. I didn't get the vibe that anyone was out for blood in the least. At UF, I remember feeling that quite a bit, but it wasn't an ASD so next week might be different. I thought the law campus was better than I thought it would be! I wonder if it is frowned upon to walk on the grass :D :D :D

I was wondering the same thing! It was so nice yesterday that I would definitely be laying outside on the grass if it were allowed.

LSATmakesMeNeurotic

Postby LSATmakesMeNeurotic » Sat Feb 19, 2011 3:22 pm

If any of you are coming to Gville early and want to grab dinner before I drive to Orlando, I'd love to do that!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”