FSU c/o2014 Applicants!

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
NCtoDC

Re: FSU c/o2014 Applicants!

Postby NCtoDC » Fri Feb 04, 2011 5:15 pm

fiery_searcher wrote:
NCtoDC wrote:
Sandro wrote:Just did the Priceline negotiator , bid $45 and got Doubletree right next to campus for Thursday night.

Sweet! I did the exact same thing...same place :-)

Dang, told the husband to bid LOWER! That's a great location. I love priceline. :)

Where did you end up?

Barbie: That sounds great! I didn't realize it was THAT close to campus! :-)

Barbie

Postby Barbie » Fri Feb 04, 2011 5:19 pm

NCtoDC wrote:
fiery_searcher wrote:
NCtoDC wrote:
Sandro wrote:Just did the Priceline negotiator , bid $45 and got Doubletree right next to campus for Thursday night.

Dang, told the husband to bid LOWER! That's a great location. I love priceline. :)

Where did you end up?

Apparently .4 miles. I can walk my fat ass that far :)

NCtoDC

Postby NCtoDC » Fri Feb 04, 2011 5:32 pm

hahaha I hope the weather is nice that day.

fiery_searcher

Postby fiery_searcher » Fri Feb 04, 2011 8:20 pm

NCtoDC wrote:
fiery_searcher wrote:
NCtoDC wrote:

Where did you end up?

Courtyard on Apalachee Pkwy. It's about 2 miles from the campus, so not a bad deal either.

LSATmakesMeNeurotic

Postby LSATmakesMeNeurotic » Sat Feb 05, 2011 3:44 pm

I'm wondering if I should do the same thing. I'm in Gainesville though, so the drive wouldn't be too difficult to do beforehand. They gave me a travel stipend of $200.00...

Sandro

Postby Sandro » Sat Feb 05, 2011 3:56 pm

you guys asked for one ?

FeelTheHeat

Postby FeelTheHeat » Sat Feb 05, 2011 4:41 pm

Sandro wrote:you guys asked for one ?

Yes. So far the school has been nothing but kind and helpful with all my inquiries, and although that opinion may be swayed because everything has pretty much gone the way I wanted it to I am quickly warming up to the school. If all goes well on February 18th that should seal the deal.

Can't wait to see everyone! I'll wear a Heat shirt so there is no mistaking who I am lol

Barbie

Postby Barbie » Sat Feb 05, 2011 7:23 pm

LSATmakesMeNeurotic wrote:I'm wondering if I should do the same thing. I'm in Gainesville though, so the drive wouldn't be too difficult to do beforehand. They gave me a travel stipend of $200.00...

REALLY??? That pisses me off. I'm quite a bit farther away than you and they told me no-- actually they LIED and said that in-state people aren't getting them yet. At this point, I'm about to tell them I'll be spending that valuable weekend in Gainesville instead.

Sandro

Postby Sandro » Sun Feb 06, 2011 12:04 am

I would ask but I already rsvp-ed so I lost all my leverage haha. Plus im not tootoo far and got a ridic cheap hotel.

NCtoDC

Postby NCtoDC » Sun Feb 06, 2011 10:06 am

Well, I can tell you that I am OOS and the deadline in my email to request the stipend was Friday. So, maybe that means that what is left now is for IS. I would throw them an email and ask...they can only say no.

Barbie I would ask again. Maybe even say that you were wondering if they would simply cover the cost of the hotel or something.

Barbie

Postby Barbie » Sun Feb 06, 2011 12:31 pm

Just the fact that they lied to me REALLY ticks me off. Gville is like 2 hours from Tally lol. I hate being lied to :evil: I'd so much more respect them telling me that (I'm assuming) people they consider better candidates are getting the stipends first.

FeelTheHeat

Postby FeelTheHeat » Sun Feb 06, 2011 12:40 pm

Barbie are you sure there wasn't miscommunication? I dunno, it just strikes me as really odd that they would single you out of apparently everyone and lie to you. Strange.

Trinity11

Postby Trinity11 » Sun Feb 06, 2011 12:41 pm

Barbie wrote:Just the fact that they lied to me REALLY ticks me off. Gville is like 2 hours from Tally lol. I hate being lied to :evil: I'd so much more respect them telling me that (I'm assuming) people they consider better candidates are getting the stipends first.

"sorry ma'am, you didn't get a travel stipend because we give them to candidates with higher numbers that you".
Somehow i highly doubt that you'd rather hear that.

Barbie

Postby Barbie » Sun Feb 06, 2011 12:57 pm

Trinity11 wrote:
Barbie wrote:Just the fact that they lied to me REALLY ticks me off. Gville is like 2 hours from Tally lol. I hate being lied to :evil: I'd so much more respect them telling me that (I'm assuming) people they consider better candidates are getting the stipends first.

"sorry ma'am, you didn't get a travel stipend because we give them to candidates with higher numbers that you".
Somehow i highly doubt that you'd rather hear that.

I'm sure there are different ways to word it. And something like that may leave me like ... Oh okay :? at first, but I greatly favor it over being just lied to.

LSATmakesMeNeurotic

Postby LSATmakesMeNeurotic » Sun Feb 06, 2011 3:10 pm

Barbie- I'm sorry, that is pretty crappy of them. I was completely surprised they were offering me anything considering I'm two hours away. It COULD be because my address on file with them is in so fla... I would try asking them again though. :(

Christ_Gaj_FSU_LAW

Postby Christ_Gaj_FSU_LAW » Mon Feb 07, 2011 5:41 pm

To all FSU LAW c/o 2014 Applicants:

My name is Christopher Gaj, and I am one of the student ambassadors at the law school. I look forward to meeting you guys in the near future! :)

@ Barbie: I apologize if there was any miscommunication, but I can assure you that no one lied to you. Just to give you and all the applicants, a brief synopsis of how traveling stipends are awarded is:
1) there is a budget of how much money may be awarded for stipends.
2) the school starts with Out-of-State (OOS) applicants *AND* at the same time, the farthest away In-State (IS) applicants. In FSU's case being, south Florida/Miami-Dade area/Key West.
3) Once the deadlines to respond for those interested in stipends are reached to both groups, OOS & IS (south FL area), the school will continue north from the south FL area. Once that group's (i.e. Fort [deleted]/Naples & West Palm Beach/Boca Raton areas) deadlines are reached, the school
4) The process continues heading north towards FSU.
***Caveat: Again, there is a limit to how much money the school has for traveling stipends. So once the money runs out, then there can be no more stipends to be awarded.

If you have further questions, comments, or concerns, PLEASE do not hesitate to contact me.

Thank you, and good luck!
Christopher Gaj, Class of 2011
cag09d@fsu.edu
(941) 769-0146
--LinkRemoved--

Barbie

Postby Barbie » Mon Feb 07, 2011 5:44 pm

Christ_Gaj_FSU_LAW wrote:To all FSU LAW c/o 2014 Applicants:

My name is Christopher Gaj, and I am one of the student ambassadors at the law school. I look forward to meeting you guys in the near future! :)

@ Barbie: I apologize if there was any miscommunication, but I can assure you that no one lied to you. Just to give you and all the applicants, a brief synopsis of how traveling stipends are awarded is:
1) there is a budget of how much money may be awarded for stipends.
2) the school starts with Out-of-State (OOS) applicants *AND* at the same time, the farthest away In-State (IS) applicants. In FSU's case being, south Florida/Miami-Dade area/Key West.
3) Once the deadlines to respond for those interested in stipends are reached to both groups, OOS & IS (south FL area), the school will continue north from the south FL area. Once that group's (i.e. Fort [deleted]/Naples & West Palm Beach/Boca Raton areas) deadlines are reached, the school
4) The process continues heading north towards FSU.
***Caveat: Again, there is a limit to how much money the school has for traveling stipends. So once the money runs out, then there can be no more stipends to be awarded.

If you have further questions, comments, or concerns, PLEASE do not hesitate to contact me.

Thank you, and good luck!
Christopher Gaj, Class of 2011
cag09d@fsu.edu
(941) 769-0146
--LinkRemoved--

Thanks for offering to take questions. FWIW, Gainesville and Orlando residents were offered stipends upon request when my request was denied, and I am farther away than both of these locations. Welcome to the thread, and I hope everyone in here can come up with some good questions for you :)

FeelTheHeat

Postby FeelTheHeat » Mon Feb 07, 2011 6:10 pm

Hey Chris,

I will be heading up for ASD next week and was hoping you could offer some information as to where you and your classmates find housing. I hope to have a list of places to look at Saturday and first-hand information from those that know the places is a great place to start.

Thanks for taking the time to answer questions, FSU has been fantastic throughout the application process.

FeelTheHeat

Postby FeelTheHeat » Mon Feb 07, 2011 9:37 pm

Double posting like a douche, but I was curious as to everybody's opinion on the JD/MBA offering. The GMAT score seems pretty reasonable and I don't see how it could hurt to have additional qualifications ITE.

Or am I crazy?

Barbie

Postby Barbie » Mon Feb 07, 2011 9:40 pm

FeelTheHeat wrote:Double posting like a douche, but I was curious as to everybody's opinion on the JD/MBA offering. The GMAT score seems pretty reasonable and I don't see how it could hurt to have additional qualifications ITE.

Or am I crazy?

Do you have your UG degree in business?

FeelTheHeat

Postby FeelTheHeat » Mon Feb 07, 2011 9:56 pm

I got a minor in it, I was in accounting until a year and a half ago fwiw.

Christ_Gaj_FSU_LAW

Postby Christ_Gaj_FSU_LAW » Tue Feb 08, 2011 2:21 pm

@ Barbie: You're quite welcome and it is my pleasure as I recall the Admissions' process very well and I had more questions and concerns than humanly possible. With regards to your stipend situation, from the facts that you've given me, a possible reason for your request being denied, while Gainesville and Orlando residents' requests were approved, is because you may have missed the deadline for your geographical area and not replied to the Admissions Office in time. Since I don't know all the details, I would be more than happy to talk to you about it on Friday. :)

@FeelTheHeat: I hate to use this word, but, where to live "DEPENDS" on the person. Personally, I live in a 1 bed/bath, a block from school called Parkwood Apts (on the corner of W. Park Ave & MLK)---cozy & convenient. A large amount of students live across the street from the law school (Jefferson St.) which holds multiple apt. buildings and dorm-style halls. One example is the Jefferson Towers, which offers a 1 bed, 1 bath, mini-kitchen, desk area...but all-in-one type style, as in there is no separation.

FSU Law conveniently offers a link off its website which has more than enough information regarding housing. Here it is:
http://www.law.fsu.edu/current_students ... index.html

You're quite welcome, and again it is my pleasure and honor. You are correct about FSU College of Law being fantastic; it is a phenomenal institution with a solid and supportive staff, and a student body that is friendly and more than willing to help some in need. (i.e. present scenario)

Hope all this helps, and see you & everyone at check-in!

Chris Gaj
cag09d@fsu.edu
(941) 769-0146
Last edited by Christ_Gaj_FSU_LAW on Tue Feb 08, 2011 3:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mattfl88

Postby Mattfl88 » Tue Feb 08, 2011 2:40 pm

My status checker says application complete and has for about a week and a half. Is a decision rendered from this or is it 'placed in review' before? Basically is there another step?

This is my top choice and I feel like I am checking my status ten times a day.

alicrimson

Postby alicrimson » Tue Feb 08, 2011 3:39 pm

Mattfl88 wrote:My status checker says application complete and has for about a week and a half. Is a decision rendered from this or is it 'placed in review' before? Basically is there another step?

This is my top choice and I feel like I am checking my status ten times a day.

I believe it stays there until it "goes under review" I've been sitting at complete since very early November so I wouldn't waste tons of time hitting refresh on your status checker because you could potentially be waiting for a while.

Christ_Gaj_FSU_LAW

Postby Christ_Gaj_FSU_LAW » Tue Feb 08, 2011 7:23 pm

@Mattfl88 & alicrimson:

The admissions committee tries to make a decision on files once they become complete within 3 months. It usually goes from complete to under review, but sometimes the status will go straight from complete to decision made if the admissions committee reviews the files quickly. A lot of it depends on the volume of applications that are being dealt with at a given time and we have entered the busy part of the cycle.

Hope that clears up some issues.

Christopher Gaj
cag09d@fsu.edu
(941) 769-0146
--LinkRemoved--

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”