FSU c/o2014 Applicants!

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
Barbie

Re: FSU c/o2014 Applicants!

Postby Barbie » Sun Jan 30, 2011 12:27 pm

govorett wrote:
Barbie wrote:Undergrady? Last time I was there we went to 2 places (with my friends from HS still in UG) and one I don't remember the name and the other was AJ's I think and it was AWFUULLLLLL. Smelled like throw up and had tons of underagers.

Well Bulls is strictly 21+ and they will arrest you if you try to get in with a fake. There is a deck out back with live music if you want to chill and then inside is like a normal club. It's pretty good for just chilling and then if you want to dance you can go inside. AJs is horrible, along with Bajas and Chubbys.

20/20 is new..haven't been there yet. But its pretty popular too.

I love places that are strictly 21+. My sister is an 18 year old starting at FSU in August. If I ever see her out boozing (and she is a big partyer) I'm going to raise hell haha.

mteevin

Postby mteevin » Sun Jan 30, 2011 12:32 pm

does anyone know how the parking situation is in tallahassee around the law school? as a recent UCF grad, i'm hoping it would be a little better than what i'm used to.

Barbie

Postby Barbie » Sun Jan 30, 2011 12:34 pm

mteevin wrote:does anyone know how the parking situation is in tallahassee around the law school? as a recent UCF grad, i'm hoping it would be a little better than what i'm used to.

UCF HOLLER <3 <3 <3

mteevin

Postby mteevin » Sun Jan 30, 2011 12:43 pm

another UCFer, eh?

my ultimate goal is to have my name on the future UCF law school -- we'll see.

Barbie

Postby Barbie » Sun Jan 30, 2011 12:47 pm

mteevin wrote:another UCFer, eh?

my ultimate goal is to have my name on the future UCF law school -- we'll see.

I went to UCF for 3 years then transferred, but definitly some of the best times of my entire life. If I hadn't transferred, though, law school wouldn't even be an option haha.

FeelTheHeat

Postby FeelTheHeat » Sun Jan 30, 2011 1:06 pm

I've visited UCF numerous times and must say the parking issues at FIU dwarf it. Like I said, the possibility of riding a bike excites me in ways I cannot describe.

With the manner in which FSU has reached out to me and been so receptive from the start in acting like they wanted me I am having a difficult time justifying attending UF (FSU's scholarship doesn't hurt, in the interest of full disclosure lol).

That may just be because UF is sending me letters encouraging me to apply to other schools. Thanks, Gators!

gov

Postby gov » Sun Jan 30, 2011 1:16 pm

Parking anywhere on FSUs campus is rough. I have friends at the law school and they all have to be there early to secure parking. The LS parking lot is tiny.

fiery_searcher

Postby fiery_searcher » Sun Jan 30, 2011 1:29 pm

FeelTheHeat wrote:I've visited UCF numerous times and must say the parking issues at FIU dwarf it. Like I said, the possibility of riding a bike excites me in ways I cannot describe.

With the manner in which FSU has reached out to me and been overall just fantastic from the start I am having a difficult time justifying attending UF (FSU's scholarship doesn't hurt, in the interest of full disclosure lol).

That may just be because UF is sending me letters encouraging me to apply to other schools. Thanks, Gators!

When I went to FSU for my undergrad the parking was pretty difficult, but not impossible. I lived 3 miles from campus and either biked or rode the bus the majority of the time, also all of the buses have bike racks on the front of them. Another note for those that bike, Tally has hills, unlike most of the rest of Florida!

Of the law schools I have applied to, FSU has been the most professional and most welcoming by far. I will have to see how my visit to Lewis and Clark goes in March, but am heavily leaning towards FSU.

Barbie

Postby Barbie » Sun Jan 30, 2011 2:52 pm

I def won't live close enough to campus to bike so I wonder if you can purchase a parking spot? I think UCF had them for like, $4,000 haha. I am still curious as to the representation of married people in the LS? My friend told my UF has a lot of engaged/married people which is comforting. I don't want all my peers off being single and partying :) I need some couple friends! haha

gov

Postby gov » Sun Jan 30, 2011 2:55 pm

Barbie wrote:I def won't live close enough to campus to bike so I wonder if you can purchase a parking spot? I think UCF had them for like, $4,000 haha. I am still curious as to the representation of married people in the LS? My friend told my UF has a lot of engaged/married people which is comforting. I don't want all my peers off being single and partying :) I need some couple friends! haha

There are married people in the LS. I am sure it is similar to any other LS that takes kids straight from undergrad and is in a "college town". I have heard nothing but good things about it. As for buying parking, I am pretty sure you can at the civic center, which is close.

http://www.law.fsu.edu/admitted_student ... g_info.pdf

Barbie

Postby Barbie » Sun Jan 30, 2011 2:59 pm

govorett wrote:
Barbie wrote:I def won't live close enough to campus to bike so I wonder if you can purchase a parking spot? I think UCF had them for like, $4,000 haha. I am still curious as to the representation of married people in the LS? My friend told my UF has a lot of engaged/married people which is comforting. I don't want all my peers off being single and partying :) I need some couple friends! haha

There are married people in the LS. I am sure it is similar to any other LS that takes kids straight from undergrad and is in a "college town". I have heard nothing but good things about it. As for buying parking, I am pretty sure you can at the civic center, which is close.

Oh nice that isn't bad. Gov I forget are you thinking about FSU or are you set elsewhere?

gov

Postby gov » Sun Jan 30, 2011 3:00 pm

Barbie wrote:
govorett wrote:

Oh nice that isn't bad. Gov I forget are you thinking about FSU or are you set elsewhere?

I am ready to get out of Tallahassee. My heart is set on NU and they are stringing me along [which I am grateful for...since it would be a miracle]

Barbie

Postby Barbie » Sun Jan 30, 2011 3:03 pm

govorett wrote:I am ready to get out of Tallahassee. My heart is set on NU and they are stringing me along [which I am grateful for...since it would be a miracle]

Yeah it seems like a lot of people are stuck with NU! How do you feel about making the move from Florida to Illinois? I think you saw my thread I made but I'm having a HUGE heart attack about it and starting to lean more towards staying in Florida, esp after my 3 hour anxiety attack last night haha.

gov

Postby gov » Sun Jan 30, 2011 3:07 pm

Barbie wrote:
govorett wrote:I am ready to get out of Tallahassee. My heart is set on NU and they are stringing me along [which I am grateful for...since it would be a miracle]

Yeah it seems like a lot of people are stuck with NU! How do you feel about making the move from Florida to Illinois? I think you saw my thread I made but I'm having a HUGE heart attack about it and starting to lean more towards staying in Florida, esp after my 3 hour anxiety attack last night haha.

I am a big believer in going with my gut. I know my fam. will always be here and that if you stay connected with people who can help you down the road, I really don't think it matter where you graduated from. I would go with where you are going to feel comfortable. All 3 places seem like a nice place to live for 3 years. But, I am in the same situation as you in regards to a SO coming with me- so their job prospects are important too.

Sean Bateman

Postby Sean Bateman » Sun Jan 30, 2011 3:34 pm

Barbie wrote:
Sean Bateman wrote:Barbie, I actually got the scholarship offer a few weeks after scholars day. To this day, I really am not sure of the difference between scholars day and admitted students day, but we think that the kids who are invited to scholars day are the higher caliber acceptances, ones who will be getting scholarships, etc (Class ranking came out today, I got top 20%, woo!)

Also, they didn't offer me a travel stipend but I e-mailed and asked for one, and then they gave it..good luck all!

Nice. How far were you coming from? I've already been offered a 20k total scholarship from FSU. Just wondering if that could be raised by going to ASD and being awesome :)

I was only coming from Orlando (UCF) but was broke at the time, figured anything would help. They offered me $50 after I asked. Obviously it didn't cover the entire trip but enough to make me happy to come up and visit. Glad I did. Now, I have NO idea if coming to ASD had anything to do with the scholarship offer or not. I can't imagine them doing something like that but I guess I would see the logic in it if they did.

Barbie

Postby Barbie » Sun Jan 30, 2011 3:35 pm

Sean Bateman wrote:I was only coming from Orlando (UCF) but was broke at the time, figured anything would help. They offered me $50 after I asked. Obviously it didn't cover the entire trip but enough to make me happy to come up and visit. Glad I did. Now, I have NO idea if coming to ASD had anything to do with the scholarship offer or not. I can't imagine them doing something like that but I guess I would see the logic in it if they did.

Oh okay. Thanks. I'll call tomorrow and see if they can offer me any travel stipend from Tampa for hotel rooms... which leads me to: For scholars day, you guys (current students) going to take us out for drinks after or what? :D :D :D hah

Sean Bateman

Postby Sean Bateman » Sun Jan 30, 2011 3:39 pm

mteevin wrote:does anyone know how the parking situation is in tallahassee around the law school? as a recent UCF grad, i'm hoping it would be a little better than what i'm used to.

I went to UCF undergrad and am a 1L at FSU now. Parking is MUCH better here...the law school has it's own parking lot. Also the city is small enough that you may not have to worry about this at all. A lot of us walk or bike to law school.

Re: whoever was asking about nightlife. The good newS: FSU Law allows plenty of time to go out. The bad: nightlife here dwarfs that of UCF, but it's still pretty good. some personal favorites...
Bulls; as someone already said, it has something for everyone and really cheap drink specials. $60 bulls card gets you no cover all semester w/ all you can drink specials 4 nights a week
Yiannis: fishbowls, and 80s night...enough said
Level 8: classier rooftop bar overlooking Tallahassee. The girls love 'little black dress night'
AJ's is awful, Pot's is across from the law school but heavily greek life oriented, IMO
Student Bar Association holds socials with free beer every thursday night!

Sean Bateman

Postby Sean Bateman » Sun Jan 30, 2011 3:41 pm

Barbie wrote:
Sean Bateman wrote:I was only coming from Orlando (UCF) but was broke at the time, figured anything would help. They offered me $50 after I asked. Obviously it didn't cover the entire trip but enough to make me happy to come up and visit. Glad I did. Now, I have NO idea if coming to ASD had anything to do with the scholarship offer or not. I can't imagine them doing something like that but I guess I would see the logic in it if they did.

Oh okay. Thanks. I'll call tomorrow and see if they can offer me any travel stipend from Tampa for hotel rooms... which leads me to: For scholars day, you guys (current students) going to take us out for drinks after or what? :D :D :D hah

depending on the night i'm sure we'll have something going on! When is scholars day anyway?

Barbie

Postby Barbie » Sun Jan 30, 2011 3:44 pm

Sean Bateman wrote:
Barbie wrote:

depending on the night i'm sure we'll have something going on! When is scholars day anyway?

Feb 18th, Friday

minuit

Postby minuit » Sun Jan 30, 2011 7:30 pm

just adding in some more opinion... poor pauls is a good chill bar next to bulls, also 21+ and very popular. it's pool, darts, air hockety, a really good juke box, pretty good drink specials, and free pizza sunday and monday nights. leon's pub is another dive bar with a tremendous beer selection. both allow smoking inside (so does bulls though...). krewe de gras, waterworks, the filling station, wine loft, mockingbird (cans of PBR for $1 every night after 11) and finnegans are all very midtown, young professional, "yuppie" oriented. less crazy than the bars near campus. never been to AJs and never will. fermentation lounge and st. mikes are near railroad square and attract an alternative crowd.

bulls is probably the most popular bar, though. crazy drink specials, a club/dance room, a room with live music, a rooftop with a huge screen to watch games... it's big and varied.

mteevin

Postby mteevin » Mon Jan 31, 2011 12:19 pm

this waiting game is making me a little squeamish -- went under review friday, was hoping to get a call today so i could stop thinking about it. what day of the week were you accepted folks notified?

tas817

Postby tas817 » Mon Jan 31, 2011 12:45 pm

I went to FSU on a recruiting trip when I was in H.S. (03). The party atmosphere there is directed toward getting drunk to the point of puking.(litterally everybody on the team told puke stories) Just wanted to know, the places that have been mentioned are they targeted more toward grad level crowd or would we still have to deal with puking undergrads. I think 03' was the year they won best party school in nation so they may have been trying to just live up to title. lol Thanx and good luck all.

minuit

Postby minuit » Mon Jan 31, 2011 12:48 pm

mteevin wrote:this waiting game is making me a little squeamish -- went under review friday, was hoping to get a call today so i could stop thinking about it. what day of the week were you accepted folks notified?

they called me on a friday, but i believe they make calls any week day. give them a few days ;)

alicrimson

Postby alicrimson » Mon Jan 31, 2011 1:12 pm

tas817 wrote:I went to FSU on a recruiting trip when I was in H.S. (03). The party atmosphere there is directed toward getting drunk to the point of puking.(litterally everybody on the team told puke stories) Just wanted to know, the places that have been mentioned are they targeted more toward grad level crowd or would we still have to deal with puking undergrads. I think 03' was the year they won best party school in nation so they may have been trying to just live up to title. lol Thanx and good luck all.

UG athletics and law school are two very different ball games. UF was leading party school in the nation for 2008 and they were fine. Truthfully, anywhere you go for UG there is going to be a scene for "puking". Also, that's highly common thing for hosts to do with their recruits. I did it on my visits and I do it when people come stay with us. Just because a segment does it for a period of time, doesn't mean it happens outside of that segment. Also, you can choose what you do. I know a few law students at my current institution who could tell current puking stories too but...you don't have to hang out with those kids.

Oblivion426

Postby Oblivion426 » Mon Jan 31, 2011 2:38 pm

I thought I'd post here after seeing several of you reference FSU's parking situation. While I cannot attest to parking at the law school, I can comment on parking elsewhere on campus. The parking situation directly correlates with the time of day. During undergrad I took early classes the grand majority of the time, leaving me with little problem finding a parking space. Once the mid-day classes roll around, however, one must train their eyes to find parking spaces in most of the garages; or stalk the people walking back to their vehicles, only to realize that they were simply getting something out of their car.

I am preparing to take the June LSAT in hopes of returning to FSU's law school for the C/O 2015. I loved that school. I have been teaching English for the past two years. I am enjoying it, but my dream has always been to become an attorney; to follow in my father's footsteps. I took the LSAT in my senior year of college at FSU after having two of my fingers severed in an accident three weeks prior. Needless to say, I did extremely poor and, in retrospect, should have canceled the score. I sit on an LSAC GPA of 3.75, so I'm hoping to have a high enough LSAT score to allow me to attend FSU or UF. I signed up for a Testmasters course to help me with studying this time around.

I have been lurking these forums for a few months, and finally felt comfortable posting today. Good luck to those of you who have not heard back from the school yet, and congratulations to those of you who have.

Alex

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”