FSU c/o2014 Applicants!

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
FortuneFavorsTheBold

Re: FSU c/o2014 Applicants!

Postby FortuneFavorsTheBold » Mon Jan 24, 2011 6:50 pm

an event from 9am-2pm where you meet faculty, students, and "learn more about what makes Florida State University College of Law such a unique and rewarding place to start your legal career". I guess it's their optional orientation.

Swanky wrote:
FortuneFavorsTheBold wrote:Academic Scholars email and acceptance packet in snail mail today!!! niiiiiice. Still waiting on UF, might drop/withdraw UM this week.

What exactly is the Academic Scholars thing? I'm having trouble finding more information.

Swanky

Postby Swanky » Mon Jan 24, 2011 7:00 pm

FortuneFavorsTheBold wrote:an event from 9am-2pm where you meet faculty, students, and "learn more about what makes Florida State University College of Law such a unique and rewarding place to start your legal career". I guess it's their optional orientation.

Swanky wrote:
FortuneFavorsTheBold wrote:Academic Scholars email and acceptance packet in snail mail today!!! niiiiiice. Still waiting on UF, might drop/withdraw UM this week.

What exactly is the Academic Scholars thing? I'm having trouble finding more information.

Nevermind, I hit the forums too quickly. Just got notification of a scholarship via e-mail. 16k/year.

FortuneFavorsTheBold

Postby FortuneFavorsTheBold » Mon Jan 24, 2011 7:05 pm

congrats!! Full ride!

FeelTheHeat

Postby FeelTheHeat » Mon Jan 24, 2011 7:05 pm

Swanky wrote:
FortuneFavorsTheBold wrote:an event from 9am-2pm where you meet faculty, students, and "learn more about what makes Florida State University College of Law such a unique and rewarding place to start your legal career". I guess it's their optional orientation.

Swanky wrote:

Nevermind, I hit the forums too quickly. Just got notification of a scholarship via e-mail. 16k/year.

WOW, congrats! You all are seriously getting my hopes up! Any money at all would be great. (3.0/166)

minuit

Postby minuit » Mon Jan 24, 2011 7:08 pm

Hey all! Some clarification...

Scholars Day is for top candidates - not everyone is invited. There's a full fancy meal provided at lunch, and a professor or dean sits at each table conversing with the students. You meet the dean, there's a student panel to ask questions, you have a mock class with a professor, break into small groups based on your interest area and meet with a faculty member and a couple students in that specialization, and tour the facilities. I'm probably missing some stuff, but that's what I can think of off the top of my head from last year. I'm assuming that everyone invited at least has a small scholarship offer - so if you have been invited and didn't get a scholly yet, don't give up hope!

FeelTheHeat

Postby FeelTheHeat » Mon Jan 24, 2011 7:35 pm

$10,000/year from FSU. I'm going absolutely nuts, totally shell shocked. Drinks are on me tonight!!!!!

Barbie

Postby Barbie » Mon Jan 24, 2011 8:22 pm

minuit wrote:Hey all! Some clarification...

Scholars Day is for top candidates - not everyone is invited. There's a full fancy meal provided at lunch, and a professor or dean sits at each table conversing with the students. You meet the dean, there's a student panel to ask questions, you have a mock class with a professor, break into small groups based on your interest area and meet with a faculty member and a couple students in that specialization, and tour the facilities. I'm probably missing some stuff, but that's what I can think of off the top of my head from last year. I'm assuming that everyone invited at least has a small scholarship offer - so if you have been invited and didn't get a scholly yet, don't give up hope!

Where have you been!! Where do you think you're going to go?

fiery_searcher

Postby fiery_searcher » Mon Jan 24, 2011 10:21 pm

In with 35K! My first no strings scholly. The email also said that I could apply for additional scholarships during years 2 & 3. Yay! Will definitely be going to Academic Scholars Day.

Bill Cosby

Postby Bill Cosby » Mon Jan 24, 2011 10:57 pm

How hard is to obtain in-state for second and third year?

FeelTheHeat

Postby FeelTheHeat » Mon Jan 24, 2011 11:16 pm

Bill Cosby wrote:How hard is to obtain in-state for second and third year?

Someone posted a link regarding the degree of difficulty in achieving residency, and IIRC Florida was among those that were supposed to be easier. However, I have seen a number of posters on TLS say it is actually difficult. I know that doesn't help, but hopefully someone can build on that.

Guys, I'm in trouble. $20,000 over two years at FSU or sticker at UF? I'll be putting up a topic about it sometime later, but I'm looking for every reason I can to be a 'Nole. My only issue is that I've heard next to nothing about their job prospects or where their alumni end up. Hopefully someone can shed some light?

rockylo88

Postby rockylo88 » Tue Jan 25, 2011 12:13 am

vdbl1901 wrote:I went complete on 12/03/2010 and my application status is still showing application complete.
My numbers are 163/3.48 LSDAS gpa. Is there anyone on here with similar numbers who have not changed to under review. Should this be cause for any concern?

3.4/161

Complete 1st week of Jan

pearlmc

Postby pearlmc » Tue Jan 25, 2011 9:03 am

Question: I was accepted back in November and like everyone else's, the letter said I would get a separate scholarship email. I saw throughout the threads that people said they filled out the scholarship application...the only scholarship email that I got was a need-based application. Is that what y'all got too or did you get merit based ones? I was invited to the Academic Scholars Day so I think they like me, but I haven't heard anything about scholarships! Seeing as I'm out of state, I could really use some scholarship money and I don't know if it's worth traveling down there for Academic Scholars Day if they aren't giving me any money. Thanks guys!

gov

Postby gov » Tue Jan 25, 2011 9:11 am

FeelTheHeat wrote:

Someone posted a link regarding the degree of difficulty in achieving residency, and IIRC Florida was among those that were supposed to be easier. However, I have seen a number of posters on TLS say it is actually difficult. I know that doesn't help, but hopefully someone can build on that.

Guys, I'm in trouble. $20,000 over two years at FSU or sticker at UF? I'll be putting up a topic about it sometime later, but I'm looking for every reason I can to be a 'Nole. My only issue is that I've heard next to nothing about their job prospects or where their alumni end up. Hopefully someone can shed some light?

Here's their placement info : --LinkRemoved--

To be honest, you need to visit both Tallahassee and Gainesville. I went to FSU (UG and Grad) because I could not imagine living in Gainesville for 3 years. I think both places are fairly affordable, but I am not sure how much their placement differs. I would imagine that UF has a better reach to South Florida... but I do know FSU students who have landed summer associateships in addition to the usual PI/gov't work.

fiery_searcher

Postby fiery_searcher » Tue Jan 25, 2011 11:12 am

FeelTheHeat wrote:

All I have is some ancecdotal evidence. My optometrist told me that his son-in-law, an FSU grad, beat out applicants from UF, Harvard, and others for a federal clerkship in Orlando recently. I tend to think that it is really going to be up to you as far as how far your JD, from whichever school, will take you.

I love the city of Tallahassee, so it is an easy choice for me.

fiery_searcher

Postby fiery_searcher » Tue Jan 25, 2011 1:48 pm

pearlmc wrote:Question: I was accepted back in November and like everyone else's, the letter said I would get a separate scholarship email. I saw throughout the threads that people said they filled out the scholarship application...the only scholarship email that I got was a need-based application. Is that what y'all got too or did you get merit based ones? I was invited to the Academic Scholars Day so I think they like me, but I haven't heard anything about scholarships! Seeing as I'm out of state, I could really use some scholarship money and I don't know if it's worth traveling down there for Academic Scholars Day if they aren't giving me any money. Thanks guys!

The application I received had separate check boxes to mark for interest in merit-based and interest in need-based.

Bill Cosby

Postby Bill Cosby » Wed Jan 26, 2011 2:02 pm

Barbie wrote:Anyone going to Academic Scholars Day?

I am. It's really odd to think about, but assuming the trip goes well, FSU is probably my top choice if I don't get in at UGA and it was barely on my radar at the start of the process.

jr1886

Postby jr1886 » Wed Jan 26, 2011 2:22 pm

FSU just offered me $51,000 over three years!!!! This is really enticing

cr1stina

Postby cr1stina » Wed Jan 26, 2011 3:12 pm

I just went "Under Review" today...how long have people usually heard back after this? They received my application the 18th and I'm technically not complete yet since I need to still send in my traffic citations, do you think they'll hold off on sending a decision until I've sent those in?

NCtoDC

Postby NCtoDC » Wed Jan 26, 2011 3:55 pm

cr1stina wrote:I just went "Under Review" today...how long have people usually heard back after this? They received my application the 18th and I'm technically not complete yet since I need to still send in my traffic citations, do you think they'll hold off on sending a decision until I've sent those in?

I also have to send in traffic citation documentation, and I went complete/under review yesterday...I guess they figure they can revoke an acceptance if you don't send in the documentation.

Sandro

Postby Sandro » Wed Jan 26, 2011 3:57 pm

cr1stina wrote:I just went "Under Review" today...how long have people usually heard back after this? They received my application the 18th and I'm technically not complete yet since I need to still send in my traffic citations, do you think they'll hold off on sending a decision until I've sent those in?

Received it Jan 18 and UR already ? wow.... btw for traffic tickets you can just send in one of those driver history reports from a website. Atleast I did and they had no problems.

cr1stina

Postby cr1stina » Wed Jan 26, 2011 4:14 pm

Sandro wrote:

Received it Jan 18 and UR already ? wow.... btw for traffic tickets you can just send in one of those driver history reports from a website. Atleast I did and they had no problems.

Ah! I did this and spent $30 on the report and I had this woman from the admissions office email me letting me know it wasn't "official". So then I printed out the dispositions from each counties website sent it in and she emailed me again. So I've been going through a mission calling each county and paying for all of them to send me a CERTIFIED final disposition....so annoying.

Sandro

Postby Sandro » Wed Jan 26, 2011 4:33 pm

cr1stina wrote:
Sandro wrote:

Ah! I did this and spent $30 on the report and I had this woman from the admissions office email me letting me know it wasn't "official". So then I printed out the dispositions from each counties website sent it in and she emailed me again. So I've been going through a mission calling each county and paying for all of them to send me a CERTIFIED final disposition....so annoying.

Weird. I copy pasted one of those 9.99 reports into a word doc.

NCtoDC

Postby NCtoDC » Wed Jan 26, 2011 4:36 pm

cr1stina wrote:
Sandro wrote:

Yeah, I sent in my driving history too, and it was not sufficient. I am having to pay for a certified disposition as well. What is even more awesome is that I disclosed a ticket that turned out to not be over $200. It happened 3.5 years ago and I didn't really remember the fine and thought that it was over 200, but turns out, as I was investigating it for FSU, it was only $134 :-/ So, since I opened my big mouth I have to provide documentation to the contrary....

fiery_searcher

Postby fiery_searcher » Wed Jan 26, 2011 10:12 pm

jr1886 wrote:FSU just offered me $51,000 over three years!!!! This is really enticing

Wow! Congrats!

Lili305

Postby Lili305 » Thu Jan 27, 2011 11:48 am

Hi all! Long time stalker, first time poster. I also submitted on 1/18 and went UR 1/25. Based on LSN it seems people are getting accepted pretty quickly. I hope to hear something soon so I can stop stalking my email. :oops:

Also, in case anyone is curious, a friend of mine just graduated from FSU in May. I asked her about job prospects, etc. and she told me that everyone from her class had a job at or shortly after graduation. She is currently working in Orlando, and it seems that job prospects are not as dismal as some of the numbers make it seem. You just can't bank on the outrageous salaries or sign on bonuses of the past.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”