FSU c/o2014 Applicants!

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
Barbie

Re: FSU c/o2014 Applicants!

Postby Barbie » Mon Sep 20, 2010 11:37 pm

ns77770 wrote:
flgator10 wrote:[

Mid-150's. I will start improving and then all of a sudden get a couple of 152's or something and then go back up...it's pretty frustrating. I know it's normal to fluctuate but this close to the test, I just want consistent scores. I at least want to get a 160, but I'm not sure how likely that is for October. I will probably end up taking the December test, so I can try to bring it up as high as I can. That will allow me to at least get my applications in early and then send in the new score later.

I had some drops in scores also along the way, and looking back on it I am pretty sure it was burn out. Whatever it is, good luck!

ns I have an awful memory but weren't our numbers similar?

Barbie

Postby Barbie » Mon Sep 20, 2010 11:38 pm

minuit wrote:
Barbie wrote:
I'm assuming its because of the assumption that everyone would go to UF>FSU... Idk... but minuit.. play nicely :)

i mean, it's just not true. it's a silly thing to think. i know lots of people who chose FSU over UF. you'll meet lots of these people if you come here :)

so then you are a current LS student??

tell us about it! is the LS around a young-adult type area, or still surrounded in the UG bars and apartments and all that?

ns77770

Postby ns77770 » Mon Sep 20, 2010 11:40 pm

minuit wrote:
Barbie wrote:
I'm assuming its because of the assumption that everyone would go to UF>FSU... Idk... but minuit.. play nicely :)

i mean, it's just not true. it's a silly thing to think. i know lots of people who chose FSU over UF. you'll meet lots of these people if you come here :)

haha sorry I certainly did not mean to offend you. When I said people prefer UF, I mostly just meant my crazy gator friends who have brain washed me...

ns77770

Postby ns77770 » Mon Sep 20, 2010 11:42 pm

flgator10 wrote:Thanks guys! I'll be practicing like crazy the next couple of weeks. Crossing my fingers and trying to stay positive!

Good luck! You can do it! Your hard work will pay off soon!
Barbie wrote:
ns77770 wrote:
flgator10 wrote:[

Mid-150's. I will start improving and then all of a sudden get a couple of 152's or something and then go back up...it's pretty frustrating. I know it's normal to fluctuate but this close to the test, I just want consistent scores. I at least want to get a 160, but I'm not sure how likely that is for October. I will probably end up taking the December test, so I can try to bring it up as high as I can. That will allow me to at least get my applications in early and then send in the new score later.

I had some drops in scores also along the way, and looking back on it I am pretty sure it was burn out. Whatever it is, good luck!

ns I have an awful memory but weren't our numbers similar?

I perhaps have an even worse memory, but I think I remember your LSAT being higher than mine while my GPA was higher than yours?

minuit

Postby minuit » Mon Sep 20, 2010 11:48 pm

Barbie wrote:
minuit wrote:
Barbie wrote:

so then you are a current LS student??

tell us about it! is the LS around a young-adult type area, or still surrounded in the UG bars and apartments and all that?

no, not a current student yet! however, i did apply during the 2010 cycle to law schools and ended up deciding to take a year off. i was accepted to FSU last year and am re-applying again this year... the class of 2013 is really cool, though, and i know lots of people who just started 1L. i went to undergrad here so i know the area pretty well. the law school and law library are separated by a few blocks from the regular undergrad campus, so it's definitely set apart - you won't have to encounter many undergrads except in the parking garage. there's some undergrad frats and sororities in the area, too. lots of cheap apartments that are quite popular with law students directly across from the building. lots of bars in the area for all types of people! i'm not sure which bars are popular with law students, however.

edit: just wanted to add if you have any questions about applying to FSU or financial aid or scholarships, i can definitely help with that!
Last edited by minuit on Mon Sep 20, 2010 11:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

flgator10

Postby flgator10 » Mon Sep 20, 2010 11:49 pm

ns77770 wrote:
minuit wrote:
Barbie wrote:

haha sorry I certainly did not mean to offend you. When I said people prefer UF, I mostly just meant my crazy gator friends who have brain washed me...

hahaha. Probably people like me. But in all reality, I have many friends who go to FSU who are very happy. I'm sure if I went there for undergrad, it would be the opposite situation and I would hate UF. So, at the end of the day, if my worst case scenario is going to FSU for law school, then life is pretty good. I will never be a noles fan though!

Tuyarp

Postby Tuyarp » Mon Sep 20, 2010 11:54 pm

I'm one of those people minuit mentioned. I chose FSU over UF for several reasons. If anyone is interested, just ask. Also, don't hesitate to ask about FSU law, either.

ns77770

Postby ns77770 » Mon Sep 20, 2010 11:59 pm

Tuyarp wrote:I'm one of those people minuit mentioned. I chose FSU over UF for several reasons. If anyone is interested, just ask. Also, don't hesitate to ask about FSU law, either.

If you don't mind, what factors went into your decision to choose FSU over UF? And what led you to your final decision? Thanks!

Barbie

Postby Barbie » Tue Sep 21, 2010 12:01 am

Tuyarp wrote:I'm one of those people minuit mentioned. I chose FSU over UF for several reasons. If anyone is interested, just ask. Also, don't hesitate to ask about FSU law, either.

I've been less than impressed with the UG (not the campus, but the people kind of-- never ending partying, etc) and I was wondering how much of an impact this has on the LS students? Once in LS, is it really a different environment that results from being in LS or is the same drunken debauchery everywhere?

minuit

Postby minuit » Tue Sep 21, 2010 12:02 am

hi tuyarp!!!

Tuyarp

Postby Tuyarp » Tue Sep 21, 2010 12:06 am

ns77770 wrote:

If you don't mind, what factors went into your decision to choose FSU over UF? And what led you to your final decision? Thanks!

Coming from a huge undergrad, I wanted to attend a law school with a smaller class size. So, that's a plus for FSU. In addition, Tallahassee, being the capital of FL, gives FSU students a better chance to gain some legal experience while still in law school. Lastly, it came down to money because in my mind UF = FSU. You have to realize that FSU law is a very young law school compared to some of the other schools in FL. The administration has big plans for the school, so I think we will see a lot of improvements over the next few years. As a matter of fact, there's a brown bag luncheon with the Dean on Wednesday to discuss the law school's future plans.

Tuyarp

Postby Tuyarp » Tue Sep 21, 2010 12:07 am

minuit wrote:

hi tuyarp!!!

Hi, minuit! How are you doing these days? FSU law could use you here :)

Tuyarp

Postby Tuyarp » Tue Sep 21, 2010 12:11 am

Barbie wrote:

I've been less than impressed with the UG (not the campus, but the people kind of-- never ending partying, etc) and I was wondering how much of an impact this has on the LS students? Once in LS, is it really a different environment that results from being in LS or is the same drunken debauchery everywhere?

Definitely not drunken debauchery on a regular basis. Law student socials, so far, have been heavily concentrated on drinking, but that's only one night a week. You can certainly get to know people outside of a bar if you make an effort. I'd say my classmates are very motivated, but then again this is supposedly the best class FSU law admitted ever. We're pretty much on the edge of campus, by the way. UGs don't normally venture out here.

Barbie

Postby Barbie » Tue Sep 21, 2010 12:23 am

Tuyarp wrote:
Barbie wrote:

Definitely not drunken debauchery on a regular basis. Law student socials, so far, have been heavily concentrated on drinking, but that's only one night a week. You can certainly get to know people outside of a bar if you make an effort. I'd say my classmates are very motivated, but then again this is supposedly the best class FSU law admitted ever. We're pretty much on the edge of campus, by the way. UGs don't normally venture out here.

Don't get me wrong, I love some beer!! The only time I visited FSU it just seemed like, sorry to say this, but trashy. It was a big football weekend (but I assume almost every weekend in the fall will be) but it was crazy!

2011Law

Postby 2011Law » Tue Sep 21, 2010 12:26 am

Barbie wrote:I have a bad taste in my mouth about FSU's undergrad. Ive visited there once for a football game and it was downright nasty... hopefully the LS is much nicer and in a much nicer area. I want an older feel to the area... young adults rather than UG students. I have heard GREAT things though! And they are well ranked. Also, they take DEGREE GPA if it is higher than your cumulative! Win :)

Tallanasty ftw!!!

lol, graduate fsu undergrad in Dec (my graduation ceremony is on test date btw). If you want to live in an area with an older feel to it, Tallahassee is prob the wrong place to be: FSU, FAMU, and TCC all within 5 miles of each other. But all in all I've known some people in the law school here and they all loved it, especially for the price. Though personally, it was cool going to undergrad here, I don't really want to stay for another 3 years. Miss being in a big city (shout out to 305), and also don't want to spend my entire life in the gunshine state, as great as it is. Though if none of that really bothers you, there is only one school in this giant ass state that places better, though if you want to practice in Miami the conventional wisdom is that UM is the place to go, though I know people who had no problem finding jobs in the 305 coming from FSU, and I assume the same is with UF.

Oh one other thing, the law school is really not far from the main campus. Its closer to downtown (I always laugh when I think about what downtown constitutes here vs miami downtown), so I guess the law school itself is in a somewhat nicer area, but if you didn't care for the area that FSU main campus is, don't expect to care for the law school area either (and the building is nothing to go crazy over either, not that bad, but nothing that stands out, imo anyway).

Tuyarp

Postby Tuyarp » Tue Sep 21, 2010 12:27 am

I can see your point of view, but I would caution against using one trip to make a judgment on a school. Come visit the law school and see for yourself. I'd say that our faculty will impress you enough to make you want to come here even more. If you have a choice, sit in Atkinson for property, Bayern for torts, and Craig for civ pro (I'm assuming you're visiting in the fall).

Barbie

Postby Barbie » Tue Sep 21, 2010 12:31 am

Tuyarp wrote:I can see your point of view, but I would caution against using one trip to make a judgment on a school. Come visit the law school and see for yourself. I'd say that our faculty will impress you enough to make you want to come here even more. If you have a choice, sit in Atkinson for property, Bayern for torts, and Craig for civ pro (I'm assuming you're visiting in the fall).

Once I (read: If I) get accepted, I will be up there to spend a long weekend! I have a few friends in the UG, and a friend in the med school (who said they sometimes do socials with yall, thats cool!) but if I come visit I def want to meet/talk to some of the law students. Maybe you can help me out! I am submitting my app this week, next week at the latest! Hopefully I will hear back pretty quickly :)

Tuyarp

Postby Tuyarp » Tue Sep 21, 2010 12:39 am

Barbie wrote:
Tuyarp wrote:I can see your point of view, but I would caution against using one trip to make a judgment on a school. Come visit the law school and see for yourself. I'd say that our faculty will impress you enough to make you want to come here even more. If you have a choice, sit in Atkinson for property, Bayern for torts, and Craig for civ pro (I'm assuming you're visiting in the fall).

Once I (read: If I) get accepted, I will be up there to spend a long weekend! I have a few friends in the UG, and a friend in the med school (who said they sometimes do socials with yall, thats cool!) but if I come visit I def want to meet/talk to some of the law students. Maybe you can help me out! I am submitting my app this week, next week at the latest! Hopefully I will hear back pretty quickly :)

Lemme know how I can be of assistance and I'll try my best. And yes, we do hang out with med students, but I personally haven't gone to one of those. Actually, you should come visit before you get admitted and speak to an admission representative, I think that shows you're genuinely interested in coming if admitted, IMO.

Barbie

Postby Barbie » Tue Sep 21, 2010 12:41 am

Tuyarp wrote:
Barbie wrote:

Lemme know how I can be of assistance and I'll try my best. And yes, we do hang out with med students, but I personally haven't gone to one of those. Actually, you should come visit before you get admitted and speak to an admission representative, I think that shows you're genuinely interested in coming if admitted, IMO.

I just don't know if I have the time before. A rep came to my UG and I went to the meeting early and asked her a bunch of questions, etc, though and got her email address and all that. :)

minuit

Postby minuit » Tue Sep 21, 2010 9:14 am

Tuyarp wrote:
minuit wrote:

hi tuyarp!!!

Hi, minuit! How are you doing these days? FSU law could use you here :)

I am doing good and enjoying this year off. I'm working for a few lawyers now who have quite extensive connections in the state and Tallahassee, so FSU is definitely still on the table. My application just went complete today, so hopefully an acceptance is soon to follow :)

charlesxavier

Postby charlesxavier » Tue Sep 21, 2010 10:19 am

I applied to FSU but only as a backup. I figured I needed to apply somewhere close to home (Jacksonville) just in case something happened with my family in the next year. Personally, FSU tops UF because my wife is a nurse and Tallahassee offers a few more job opportunities. Also, Gainesville is a little too close to both of our families :lol:

Tuyarp

Postby Tuyarp » Tue Sep 21, 2010 10:23 am

charlesxavier wrote:I applied to FSU but only as a backup.

That's how I felt about FSU at the beginning of my application cycle. There are a lot of factors when you're deciding which school to attend. In the end, the backup choice might end up being the best choice, IMO.

flgator10

Postby flgator10 » Tue Sep 21, 2010 10:29 am

Where else is everyone applying? I'm guessing everyone wants to eventually end up in Florida so are you guys applying to all FL schools or some out of state ones also?

charlesxavier

Postby charlesxavier » Tue Sep 21, 2010 10:43 am

flgator10 wrote:Where else is everyone applying? I'm guessing everyone wants to eventually end up in Florida so are you guys applying to all FL schools or some out of state ones also?

I applied to more out of state schools than FL schools. I don't want to work in FL long term. I was already accepted at Tennessee and as long as my wife gets a job I qualify for in state tuition right away. I also applied to Cincy, OSU, and Iowa.

Barbie

Postby Barbie » Tue Sep 21, 2010 11:22 am

charlesxavier wrote:
flgator10 wrote:Where else is everyone applying? I'm guessing everyone wants to eventually end up in Florida so are you guys applying to all FL schools or some out of state ones also?

I applied to more out of state schools than FL schools. I don't want to work in FL long term. I was already accepted at Tennessee and as long as my wife gets a job I qualify for in state tuition right away. I also applied to Cincy, OSU, and Iowa.

Same here. I'm applying to 20 schools (16 with fee waivers, though) and the great majority of them are out of state. I just haven't really travelled so Idk where I want to live yet... I'm applying to... UConn, Tennessee, Kentucky, Wake Forest, UGA, Iowa, Wisconsin, Tulane etc. (But UF and FSU are veeeery high on my list. In-state tuition FTW!)

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”