FSU c/o2014 Applicants!

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
ns77770

Re: FSU c/o2014 Applicants!

Postby ns77770 » Mon Nov 01, 2010 11:50 pm

Hey guys just checking in... the anticipation is killing me... And since most people in this thread are probably applying to UF, hopefully we should hear this week!

Barbie

Postby Barbie » Mon Nov 01, 2010 11:52 pm

ns77770 wrote:Hey guys just checking in... the anticipation is killing me... And since most people in this thread are probably applying to UF, hopefully we should hear this week!

This is the FSU thread haha but I can't help but mention that acceptances didn't come out til early December last year... but then again we did go UR quicker. ::Off to check LSN::

ns77770

Postby ns77770 » Mon Nov 01, 2010 11:57 pm

Barbie wrote:
ns77770 wrote:Hey guys just checking in... the anticipation is killing me... And since most people in this thread are probably applying to UF, hopefully we should hear this week!

This is the FSU thread haha but I can't help but mention that acceptances didn't come out til early December last year... but then again we did go UR quicker. ::Off to check LSN::

I know it's the FSU thread but I figured most people in here would be applying to UF, and for whatever reason I'm too lazy to go to the UF thread lol. Also like you I am really interested in when we will hear since went UR MUCH quicker!

minuit

Postby minuit » Tue Nov 02, 2010 10:43 am

Neo wrote:
minuit wrote:For the people who are just below 162, do you mean 160+, or are you including 150s scores? Because if I remember correctly, from last year there was a biiiig difference between 159 and 160 in admissions decisions.

Here's the graph of applicants from LSN last year: you can see 160 was a big cut-off. It shows only 3 people admitted under 160, and two were URMS and one was non-trad.

http://fsu.lawschoolnumbers.com/stats/0910/

So if you are 160+, you are pretty set I think, it may just take a little longer.

You speak the truth; however, I would like to point out that LSN is a very small sample of people. I feel like the people who post on LSN are the minority of law school applicants and there are many others who apply without ever having heard of the website (let alone make an account and post). Not to mention it is all self-report data.

Also, I personally know someone who got into FSU last cycle with a 157 (although they had close to a 4.0). They actually were in the SUG program with us.

I don't mean for my post to sound like I am bashing your post :lol: because I am not! I just wanted to post this to act as a flicker of hope and illustrate that there are more than 3 people that got in with sub 160 LSAT scores...I have a feeling they just hear back later in the cycle.

Oh for sure, it's a small sample. And it's quite an assumption to make that this sample is a representative sample of the overall applicant pool; I feel it's fairly representative, though. The graph of the year before that, it looks like the big cutoff was 158, and FSU is really trying to boost their LSAT median (UF, too). I doubt they will be able to bump it up again this year, that would be really tough.

There will definitely be people who get in with sub-160 scores, but my guess is that a very good GPA is going to have to go along with it. SUG probably helped that person you mentioned, too. It's just going to be a long road.

Also, as for scholarships, the dean told me when she called me that info would be coming out "in a few weeks" but I wouldn't hold my breath. My guess is sometime before January. The way it went last year is that they sent an email notification that you were eligible for scholarships, then you filled out a form and sent it back through email. If you received a scholarship the letter came snail mail. For need-based, you also filled out a separate form through email.

Barbie

Postby Barbie » Tue Nov 02, 2010 8:37 pm

Someone tell me again how Florida public law schools can't give a URM boost...

http://lawschoolnumbers.com/maurocol/jd

SixStrings11

Postby SixStrings11 » Tue Nov 02, 2010 9:20 pm

Barbie wrote:Someone tell me again how Florida public law schools can't give a URM boost...

Maybe he had a killer PS? :wink: (It's times like these I wish I were Mexican or something..)

rundoxierun

Postby rundoxierun » Tue Nov 02, 2010 10:07 pm

Barbie wrote:Someone tell me again how Florida public law schools can't give a URM boost...

Ehh not to troll for URMs.. but did you really just read that profile and come out with the idea that they unambiguously received a "URM boost" that got them in?? 5+ years work experience+1st generation immigrant+MBA+Married with a kid leads to there being a lot more factors to consider.

Barbie

Postby Barbie » Tue Nov 02, 2010 10:38 pm

tkgrrett wrote:

Ehh not to troll for URMs.. but did you really just read that profile and come out with the idea that they unambiguously received a "URM boost" that got them in?? 5+ years work experience+1st generation immigrant+MBA+Married with a kid leads to there being a lot more factors to consider.

It was one example of many. Oh, you're applying to FSU? Have anything substantial to offer? Didn't think so-- GTFO.

rundoxierun

Postby rundoxierun » Tue Nov 02, 2010 11:00 pm

Barbie wrote:
tkgrrett wrote:

It was one example of many. Oh, you're applying to FSU? Have anything substantial to offer? Didn't think so-- GTFO.

LOL at the hostility.. I was just pointing out that you shouldnt be so quick to label someone as an URM admit when there are other factors that come into play. I was in no way trying to be hostile. If that was one example of many then you shouldve chosen one of the other many because this person clearly has other things going for them and probably wouldnt take kindly to having all that other stuff discounted and being rubber stamped an URM admit.

But obviously Im not good enough for the FSU club.. so I will GTFO and let you carry on.

Barbie

Postby Barbie » Tue Nov 02, 2010 11:28 pm

tkgrrett wrote:
Barbie wrote:It was one example of many. Oh, you're applying to FSU? Have anything substantial to offer? Didn't think so-- GTFO.

LOL at the hostility.. I was just pointing out that you shouldnt be so quick to label someone as an URM admit when there are other factors that come into play. I was in no way trying to be hostile. If that was one example of many then you shouldve chosen one of the other many because this person clearly has other things going for them and probably wouldnt take kindly to having all that other stuff discounted and being rubber stamped an URM admit.

But obviously Im not good enough for the FSU club.. so I will GTFO and let you carry on.

We would all like to think we are special snowflakes-- but having numbers that far below the medians almost never works out. Granted, there were URMs with higher numbers than him. I'm not saying he got accepted BECAUSE he is a URM, but I would wager that it had something to do with it, among his other characteristics. The topic of debate is whether FSU and UF offer a URM boost at all-- to anyone. I think the answer is that they do. That is all.

alicrimson

Postby alicrimson » Wed Nov 03, 2010 12:54 pm

Barbie wrote:
tkgrrett wrote:
Barbie wrote:It was one example of many. Oh, you're applying to FSU? Have anything substantial to offer? Didn't think so-- GTFO.

We would all like to think we are special snowflakes-- but having numbers that far below the medians almost never works out. Granted, there were URMs with higher numbers than him. I'm not saying he got accepted BECAUSE he is a URM, but I would wager that it had something to do with it, among his other characteristics. The topic of debate is whether FSU and UF offer a URM boost at all-- to anyone. I think the answer is that they do. That is all.

+1. The candidate does have a lot of special things going; however, I too believe that being a URM helped them atleast a little bit and would wager that, despite what UF and FSU say, there is a considerable boost for being a URM. Athleast, that is the trend I observe. Then again, I could be wrong.

Barbie

Postby Barbie » Thu Nov 04, 2010 5:49 pm

Really sweet call from an FSU professor today to see if I had any questions. I really appreciate the effort FSU puts into things...

minuit

Postby minuit » Thu Nov 04, 2010 6:03 pm

Barbie wrote:Really sweet call from an FSU professor today to see if I had any questions. I really appreciate the effort FSU puts into things...

ikr? i got one too. they always do personalized, cute little things like that :)

Barbie

Postby Barbie » Thu Nov 04, 2010 6:06 pm

What is ikr?

minuit

Postby minuit » Thu Nov 04, 2010 6:10 pm

i know, right??

Barbie

Postby Barbie » Thu Nov 04, 2010 6:11 pm

minuit wrote:i know, right??

ooooh hahah okay :D

Tuyarp

Postby Tuyarp » Thu Nov 04, 2010 8:30 pm

Just curious, which professor called you guys?

amniwi

Postby amniwi » Thu Nov 04, 2010 9:03 pm

Complete 11/1

Fingers crossed. Luck to you all!

Sean Bateman

Postby Sean Bateman » Sun Nov 07, 2010 10:05 am

Hey all! I'm a 1L here at FSU. Just wanted to stop in and say congratulations to all the recent admits. FSU Law is definitely amazing, I can't even imagine being anywhere else. And yes, I did choose it over UF! If anybody has any questions about the school/area/student life/classes, etc I will be happy to answer. good luck w your application cycles!

Barbie

Postby Barbie » Sun Nov 07, 2010 12:20 pm

Sean Bateman wrote:Hey all! I'm a 1L here at FSU. Just wanted to stop in and say congratulations to all the recent admits. FSU Law is definitely amazing, I can't even imagine being anywhere else. And yes, I did choose it over UF! If anybody has any questions about the school/area/student life/classes, etc I will be happy to answer. good luck w your application cycles!

Did you go to UG @ FSU? Also, why'd you choose it over UF :D and how are employment prospects seeming?

Sean Bateman

Postby Sean Bateman » Sun Nov 07, 2010 11:57 pm

Barbie wrote:
Sean Bateman wrote:Hey all! I'm a 1L here at FSU. Just wanted to stop in and say congratulations to all the recent admits. FSU Law is definitely amazing, I can't even imagine being anywhere else. And yes, I did choose it over UF! If anybody has any questions about the school/area/student life/classes, etc I will be happy to answer. good luck w your application cycles!

Did you go to UG @ FSU? Also, why'd you choose it over UF :D and how are employment prospects seeming?

I did my UG 4 hours south of here at UCF (Go Knights! Nationally ranked today for the first time ever) I picked FSU over UF for a few reasons
1.It's in the capital of Florida....LOTS of government jobs, lobbying firms, and in general a lot more firms and stuff to do than Gainesville....I can't stand Gainesville.
2. My interactions and visits with both schools. Everyone at UF seemed a little too formal, overworked, and stuck up. FSU is a very 'collegial' environment. The faculty, administration, and fellow students are some of the greatest people I've ever had the pleasure of knowing. It is not a stressful environment compared to many other law schools
3. Bottom line, FSU gave me a lot of $$$ and UF didn't give me any, but even without the money I would have gone this way.

In regards to employment prospects. It's the first semester of my 1L so I'm not thinking too much about that but I'll tell you what I know. They say last years class was 99% employed 9 months after graduation. How these numbers are calculated, I don't know. I have spoken with people who graduated last year, were "average" students are employed in jobs they like (my interest is working for the states attorney, so that is most of the people I have spoken to. Starting salaries are about 40k, depending on the district). Career services seems pretty helpful. They were happy to give me resume a makeover. I know plenty of 2Ls and 3Ls who at the very least have been getting interviews. I know a 1L (mind you we don't even have grades yet) who has an internship this summer. Me, I've already decided to study abroad, but there's something for everyone. Wish I could have answered that one better. Keep em coming!

Barbie

Postby Barbie » Mon Nov 08, 2010 12:16 am

Yeah, I agree about the feel of the schools. FSU seems to be really welcoming and helpful.
But I am not interested in government jobs... at all really. Also, 40k starting salary is almost SCARY to me. I could be making close to that now. :(. I guess thats more the economy than FSU though.

But $$$ from FSU would definitly sway me.. but I don't think I'll be getting any. :(
Thanks for the answers!

Oh btw I went to UCF too. Woop!

whereto4law

Postby whereto4law » Mon Nov 08, 2010 4:57 pm

In terms of $$$, when do you think FSU will start sending out scholarship offers to accepted students? Also, what do you think the numbers will be to receive some $$$?

Barbie

Postby Barbie » Mon Nov 08, 2010 5:07 pm

whereto4law wrote:In terms of $$$, when do you think FSU will start sending out scholarship offers to accepted students? Also, what do you think the numbers will be to receive some $$$?

Hm... I'd predict above 75th percentiles... but since it seems FSU is a big fan of LSATs I would wager 164+ might get some. And the letter says within a few weeks... so who knows.

minuit

Postby minuit » Mon Nov 08, 2010 5:30 pm

so as i was browsing the UF and FSU law sites today, i noticed that FSU's 25/75 LSAT is 161/164 and UF's is 160/164 with both medians at 162. very interesting...

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”