FSU c/o2014 Applicants!

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
User avatar
LSATmakesMeNeurotic
Posts: 941
Joined: Sat Jun 26, 2010 9:17 am

Re: FSU c/o2014 Applicants!

Postby LSATmakesMeNeurotic » Mon Mar 14, 2011 11:23 pm

Barbie wrote:
LSATmakesMeNeurotic wrote:
Barbie wrote:2 spot jump in rankings!


hrm? I thought it went from 54-50...

Edit: Unless you're counting those that share the number...


? According to LSP they were 52nd last year and now they are 50th...


Ah. The rankings on this website list FSU as 54.

User avatar
FeelTheHeat
Posts: 5203
Joined: Tue Jan 18, 2011 2:32 am

Re: FSU c/o2014 Applicants!

Postby FeelTheHeat » Tue Mar 15, 2011 12:54 am

Either way, a nice jump, seemingly irrelevant disparity, and 20k to kick it. Looks like I'm taking my talents to Tally.

EricBerry
Posts: 247
Joined: Wed Nov 18, 2009 7:52 pm

Re: FSU c/o2014 Applicants!

Postby EricBerry » Tue Mar 15, 2011 10:35 am

Tier 1, brahs.

minuit
Posts: 611
Joined: Thu Jan 07, 2010 1:39 pm

Re: FSU c/o2014 Applicants!

Postby minuit » Tue Mar 15, 2011 10:59 am

The rankings are:
2010 - 52
2011- 54
2012 - 50

(TLS is really lacking in listing the rankings correctly and up to date)

Anyway, this is the first year that FSU cracked the T50! If you look, the main difference between UF and FSU is the peer assessment rating - UF is lucky it has its alumni base keeping the school slightly on top. But FSU should still be proud today!! :)

User avatar
Barbie
Posts: 3746
Joined: Mon Jun 07, 2010 8:51 pm

Re: FSU c/o2014 Applicants!

Postby Barbie » Tue Mar 15, 2011 12:32 pm

minuit wrote:The rankings are:
2010 - 52
2011- 54
2012 - 50

(TLS is really lacking in listing the rankings correctly and up to date)

Anyway, this is the first year that FSU cracked the T50! If you look, the main difference between UF and FSU is the peer assessment rating - UF is lucky it has its alumni base keeping the school slightly on top. But FSU should still be proud today!! :)


I could have sworn it was 54, 52, then 50. I remember when everyone was excited that LSP updated to the new year (and it still reads FSU-52). Anyway, 2 Florida schools are now in T1! And, as I expected, the clear line has been drawn between FSU and UF and.... Miami.

fsulawjd
Posts: 6
Joined: Tue Mar 01, 2011 2:55 pm

Re: FSU c/o2014 Applicants!

Postby fsulawjd » Tue Mar 15, 2011 3:57 pm

Bill Cosby-I started school in 2007 and as far as I know the residency requirements have not changed.

Eric Berry- There's not much you can do to complete the residency requirements without being in Florida. I'd say to start your house/apartment hunting, lock it down, and be ready to go when you get there.

Just to clear up questions I'm posting a link to the requirements. Its from the FSU Law website. Hope it helps!

http://www.law.fsu.edu/prospective_stud ... elines.pdf

limelightwave
Posts: 83
Joined: Thu Feb 17, 2011 4:26 pm

Re: FSU c/o2014 Applicants!

Postby limelightwave » Tue Mar 15, 2011 7:52 pm

oh man, just when I had almost crossed FSU off my list for not giving me money, they sent the scholarship app form. Way to complicate things, lol.

User avatar
FeelTheHeat
Posts: 5203
Joined: Tue Jan 18, 2011 2:32 am

Re: FSU c/o2014 Applicants!

Postby FeelTheHeat » Wed Mar 16, 2011 10:33 am

Genuinely happy to see that FSU is now officially a T1 school. It would seem that the disparity between them and UF is next to nothing more than undergrad rep, and further reinforces my belief that the main deciding factor between the two schools is lifestyle and how much someone enjoys one over the other. Regardless, the two schools are unequivocally the top dogs in Florida and attending either is something to be proud of. I'm visiting Gainesville in about 2 weeks, and unless it totally blows me away I'll be taking the $$$ and running.

I have a feeling FSU is going to continue to fluctuate between where they are over the next few years, rising one or two sports because of all the money they are giving out, maybe dropping a few. Either way, it seems to have definitely solidified itself as a school that (I hope) will give decent job opportunities ITE throughout the state.

I've noticed the main thing holding back FSU is the peer assessment rankings, unfortunately. Hopefully they (we?) find a way to improve that in the coming years.

gator6589
Posts: 59
Joined: Fri Dec 03, 2010 7:22 pm

Re: FSU c/o2014 Applicants!

Postby gator6589 » Wed Mar 16, 2011 12:22 pm

FeelTheHeat wrote:Genuinely happy to see that FSU is now officially a T1 school. It would seem that the disparity between them and UF is next to nothing more than undergrad rep, and further reinforces my belief that the main deciding factor between the two schools is lifestyle and how much someone enjoys one over the other. Regardless, the two schools are unequivocally the top dogs in Florida and attending either is something to be proud of. I'm visiting Gainesville in about 2 weeks, and unless it totally blows me away I'll be taking the $$$ and running.

I have a feeling FSU is going to continue to fluctuate between where they are over the next few years, rising one or two sports because of all the money they are giving out, maybe dropping a few. Either way, it seems to have definitely solidified itself as a school that (I hope) will give decent job opportunities ITE throughout the state.

I've noticed the main thing holding back FSU is the peer assessment rankings, unfortunately. Hopefully they (we?) find a way to improve that in the coming years.
FeelTheHeat wrote:Genuinely happy to see that FSU is now officially a T1 school. It would seem that the disparity between them and UF is next to nothing more than undergrad rep, and further reinforces my belief that the main deciding factor between the two schools is lifestyle and how much someone enjoys one over the other. Regardless, the two schools are unequivocally the top dogs in Florida and attending either is something to be proud of. I'm visiting Gainesville in about 2 weeks, and unless it totally blows me away I'll be taking the $$$ and running.

I have a feeling FSU is going to continue to fluctuate between where they are over the next few years, rising one or two sports because of all the money they are giving out, maybe dropping a few. Either way, it seems to have definitely solidified itself as a school that (I hope) will give decent job opportunities ITE throughout the state.

I've noticed the main thing holding back FSU is the peer assessment rankings, unfortunately. Hopefully they (we?) find a way to improve that in the coming years.


I attend UF undergrad, and gainesville is a great city. I love it but have been to Tally many times as well. There really isnt much of a difference and if I were you I would take the money and run. Both law schools are on the same level with similar networking.

procrastinator
Posts: 144
Joined: Sat Apr 24, 2010 5:19 am

Re: FSU c/o2014 Applicants!

Postby procrastinator » Thu Mar 17, 2011 4:23 pm

Congrats to all of you who've been accepted. I'm a current 1L and I'm looking for someone to sublease a room in a big house with a huge deck and a pool from June until August.

We haven't signed the lease yet, but the guy can't hold it 'til August. All my future roommates can get out of their leases on the cheap, but I made the mistake of signing a lease with a liquidated damages clause that runs 'til August. In an attempt to not pay rent at two places simultaneously, I'd love for someone to take my huge downstairs suite with own bathroom.

If anyone's interested, send me a PM. $600/mo + utils, but price might be negotiable. Gender immaterial.

User avatar
Bless
Posts: 533
Joined: Sun Sep 26, 2010 12:32 am

Re: FSU c/o2014 Applicants!

Postby Bless » Thu Mar 17, 2011 5:02 pm

Still at a 1/19 complete! :shock:

User avatar
Bless
Posts: 533
Joined: Sun Sep 26, 2010 12:32 am

Re: FSU c/o2014 Applicants!

Postby Bless » Thu Mar 17, 2011 5:04 pm

gator6589 wrote:I attend UF undergrad, and gainesville is a great city. I love it but have been to Tally many times as well. There really isnt much of a difference

As an FSU undergrad, I beg to differ.

Sandro
Posts: 2526
Joined: Sat Jul 18, 2009 12:12 am

Re: FSU c/o2014 Applicants!

Postby Sandro » Thu Mar 17, 2011 5:05 pm

I've been to Gainesville ~once. I've been to tally ~once. I feel Tally is better. the end.

procrastinator
Posts: 144
Joined: Sat Apr 24, 2010 5:19 am

Re: FSU c/o2014 Applicants!

Postby procrastinator » Thu Mar 17, 2011 5:20 pm

fsulawjd wrote:Bill Cosby-I started school in 2007 and as far as I know the residency requirements have not changed.

Eric Berry- There's not much you can do to complete the residency requirements without being in Florida. I'd say to start your house/apartment hunting, lock it down, and be ready to go when you get there.

Just to clear up questions I'm posting a link to the requirements. Its from the FSU Law website. Hope it helps!

http://www.law.fsu.edu/prospective_stud ... elines.pdf


That stuff is all a major pain in the ass and MUST be done before school starts (actually I think it's one year from the start date of resident tuition... so if school starts on Aug. 24 this year and Aug. 20 next year, you need it done on Aug. 19).

You need a bunch of different crap to get your drivers license because Florida is an immigration state. They wouldn't accept a letter from the county in my home state that included nothing but the title to my vehicle, because there was no address on the inside and apparently I could have written my address on the outside (as if I couldn't have written up a phony piece of paper with my address on it too). Utility bill works. Need a copy of your lease, too.

Registration is equally difficult. Every other state you can just give fill out a form with loan company information. In Florida, you have to get the company to send them a copy of the lien (or something... I just remember it being ridiculous).

It's also a pain in the ass getting stuff at the various administrative buildings, like declaring your domicile, etc., notarizing your letter of intent, bla bla.

Expect it all to take about four days.

Bar application can't be started until Sept. 15 or so. That just has to be done before you start next year (although recommend doing it by January to avoid the $500 penalty).

User avatar
Barbie
Posts: 3746
Joined: Mon Jun 07, 2010 8:51 pm

Re: FSU c/o2014 Applicants!

Postby Barbie » Thu Mar 17, 2011 5:22 pm

Sandro wrote:I've been to Gainesville ~once. I've been to tally ~once. I feel Tally is better. the end.


Its all preference. I've been to Gville probably 12 or so times and Tally twice. DESPISE Tally. Can tolerate Gainesville.

Sandro
Posts: 2526
Joined: Sat Jul 18, 2009 12:12 am

Re: FSU c/o2014 Applicants!

Postby Sandro » Thu Mar 17, 2011 5:29 pm

Barbie wrote:
Sandro wrote:I've been to Gainesville ~once. I've been to tally ~once. I feel Tally is better. the end.


Its all preference. I've been to Gville probably 12 or so times and Tally twice. DESPISE Tally. Can tolerate Gainesville.


You got your car towed in Tally, lol.

User avatar
Bless
Posts: 533
Joined: Sun Sep 26, 2010 12:32 am

Re: FSU c/o2014 Applicants!

Postby Bless » Thu Mar 17, 2011 5:34 pm

For those of you guys who haven't lived in Tallahassee.... haaa..... just wait. You will have a newfound LOVE for grocery shopping, and it has nothing to do with the groceries.

procrastinator
Posts: 144
Joined: Sat Apr 24, 2010 5:19 am

Re: FSU c/o2014 Applicants!

Postby procrastinator » Thu Mar 17, 2011 5:40 pm

EricBerry wrote:I've got a few questions for current students and future students in the know:
1. Is LRW graded? What's the structure of the class? Any other quirks in the curriculum I should know about?
2. Are previous exams available in the library/online?
3. Will Macs work with the exam software?
4. I'm planning on living in the direct vicinity of the law school. Is this a good choice? Are there decent restaurants and grocery stores within walking distance?
5. What kind of grades do you need for the study abroad programs?
6. How do students get football tickets?
7. Any good fishing areas nearby?

Thanks! Looking forward to my visit!


Doesn't appear anyone who actually has knowledge has replied to this... so:

1. Yes. First semester revolves around legal research and an "objective" office/court clerk memoranda in which you do the research (based on the skills you learned) after the judge you clerk for directs you to give him the dirty on some sort of motion before the court (ours was a motion on the pleadings involving a settlement dispute). Second semester jumps write into persuasive writing and preparing you for your appellate brief. It sucks, but it's also awesome. It takes a lot of your time (mine's due in a week and a half). Another quirk in the curriculum is that FSU has followed Harvard's lead in introducing a Legislation/Regulation class second semester. This class is what you and your professor make of it. Some hate it, some love it. It's really very interesting stuff, but I can see how someone would see it as dry and boring.

2. Yes, there's a little computer with past exams. I never used it and I'm in the top 5%. All our professors gave practice exams at least twice in the semester (one just gave us a bunch of old exams to look through), a couple of them gave us mini practice exams regarding certain portions of the material. None are graded, most professors will review them and give feedback if you go to office hours (one this semester told me s/he wouldn't, but only because it may be perceived as unfair by those too shy/lazy to do the same).

3. Yes. It's a mac. It just works. :) The software is Exam4 if you want to check it out (you can play around with it in practice mode)

4. No. The apartments are trashy old motels (I'm not really sure why there were motels in such a fratty location). There are better places to live.

5. I don't know if there is a requirement. A girl I know who botched last semester is going.

6. You get them online and print them out. One per student, guests are $50, but if you can get someone to give one up for your guest, they don't usually check student IDs.

7. The Gulf is like an hour away.

procrastinator
Posts: 144
Joined: Sat Apr 24, 2010 5:19 am

Re: FSU c/o2014 Applicants!

Postby procrastinator » Thu Mar 17, 2011 5:40 pm

Bless wrote:For those of you guys who haven't lived in Tallahassee.... haaa..... just wait. You will have a newfound LOVE for grocery shopping, and it has nothing to do with the groceries.

I have no idea what you're referring to.

User avatar
FeelTheHeat
Posts: 5203
Joined: Tue Jan 18, 2011 2:32 am

Re: FSU c/o2014 Applicants!

Postby FeelTheHeat » Thu Mar 17, 2011 5:43 pm

procrastinator wrote:
Bless wrote:For those of you guys who haven't lived in Tallahassee.... haaa..... just wait. You will have a newfound LOVE for grocery shopping, and it has nothing to do with the groceries.

I have no idea what you're referring to.


Sounds like the appeal of the female constituency.

procrastinator
Posts: 144
Joined: Sat Apr 24, 2010 5:19 am

Re: FSU c/o2014 Applicants!

Postby procrastinator » Thu Mar 17, 2011 5:46 pm

FeelTheHeat wrote:
procrastinator wrote:
Bless wrote:For those of you guys who haven't lived in Tallahassee.... haaa..... just wait. You will have a newfound LOVE for grocery shopping, and it has nothing to do with the groceries.

I have no idea what you're referring to.


Sounds like the appeal of the female constituency.

Apparently I shop at the wrong Publix.

User avatar
Bless
Posts: 533
Joined: Sun Sep 26, 2010 12:32 am

Re: FSU c/o2014 Applicants!

Postby Bless » Thu Mar 17, 2011 5:48 pm

procrastinator wrote:
Bless wrote:For those of you guys who haven't lived in Tallahassee.... haaa..... just wait. You will have a newfound LOVE for grocery shopping, and it has nothing to do with the groceries.

I have no idea what you're referring to.

Oh, don't you worry... you will.

Image

minuit
Posts: 611
Joined: Thu Jan 07, 2010 1:39 pm

Re: FSU c/o2014 Applicants!

Postby minuit » Thu Mar 17, 2011 6:18 pm

procrastinator wrote:
FeelTheHeat wrote:
procrastinator wrote:
Bless wrote:For those of you guys who haven't lived in Tallahassee.... haaa..... just wait. You will have a newfound LOVE for grocery shopping, and it has nothing to do with the groceries.

I have no idea what you're referring to.


Sounds like the appeal of the female constituency.

Apparently I shop at the wrong Publix.


Haha you haven't been to Club Pub then... I personally have shopped at the Lake Ella Publix since freshman year, even when I lived in the dorms! Club Pub is too effin' crowded all the time.

EricBerry
Posts: 247
Joined: Wed Nov 18, 2009 7:52 pm

Re: FSU c/o2014 Applicants!

Postby EricBerry » Thu Mar 17, 2011 6:30 pm

lol so do the girls dress up (down?) more for the grocery than for class? Funny that you specifically mention grocery shopping.

Anybody going to the ASD on the 25th? I'm trying to get some friends to make the 7 hour drive with me, but looks like I'll be going alone. Hopefully I can find a group that's trying to check out the bars on Friday night.

ChiCubs14
Posts: 108
Joined: Wed Jun 02, 2010 10:15 pm

Re: FSU c/o2014 Applicants!

Postby ChiCubs14 » Thu Mar 17, 2011 6:33 pm

I go to UCF so very similar situation...

The girls don't really dress up, but there are some girls that make gym shorts and a t-shirt look goooooooooooooooooooooooood




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Assasindowntheavenue, Bing [Bot], blackpi, genjustice, Google Adsense [Bot], malysh, maybeman, merkech95, mudiverse, Nickel94, Nobiggie, RickyBunny, Scherbatsky and 34 guests