FSU c/o2014 Applicants!

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
Intraining

Re: FSU c/o2014 Applicants!

Postby Intraining » Fri Mar 11, 2011 3:46 pm

EricBerry wrote:Just got accepted from hold. I'm completely shocked. 160 3.0 OOS non-URM. I guess theres some truth to the rumor about FSU looking at degree GPA (3.7). It's gonna be a tough choice between FSU and UK w/$$$.

Congrats man! Here's to hoping a couple similar outcomes happen today!

dukivich10

Postby dukivich10 » Fri Mar 11, 2011 3:53 pm

EricBerry wrote:Just got accepted from hold. I'm completely shocked. 160 3.0 OOS non-URM. I guess theres some truth to the rumor about FSU looking at degree GPA (3.7). It's gonna be a tough choice between FSU and UK w/$$$.

by phone or what?

zebes

Postby zebes » Fri Mar 11, 2011 4:32 pm

Parent here, Son or Daughter (for privacy purposes) doesn't participate on these forums. Anyway, S/D received a phone call right after lunch offerening her/him admissions. He/she told the very nice lady on the phone that he or she'd already paid the seat deposit for UF. The woman expressed a bit of frustration that committee wasn't getting this out to them faster. Also, D/S told the lady nothing had changed on status since it went "complete," so couldn't tell if things were even being evaluated. She expressed dissatisfaction with that, too.

Good luck, everyone!

Zebes

stats: 163ish, 3.2ish, instate

Tuyarp

Postby Tuyarp » Fri Mar 11, 2011 6:07 pm

Congrats to all the admitted applicants! Let me know if you have any questions regarding FSU law. Also, let me know if you're looking for a roommate or two.

EricBerry

Postby EricBerry » Fri Mar 11, 2011 7:51 pm

Intraining wrote:Congrats man! Here's to hoping a couple similar outcomes happen today!

Thanks! Good luck to you.

dukivich10 wrote:by phone or what?

Status change from "Hold" yesterday to "Under Review" yesterday and "Decision made and will arrive by mail" today. Got a call seconds after seeing the status change on my checker.

Tuyarp wrote:Congrats to all the admitted applicants! Let me know if you have any questions regarding FSU law. Also, let me know if you're looking for a roommate or two.

Thanks! 99% sure I'll be attending. I talked to admissions today and they made it sound pretty easy to gain residency. Sounds like I need to secure housing by July to satisfy the 12 month residency requirement. I'll definitely be looking for roommates.

Neo

Postby Neo » Fri Mar 11, 2011 9:51 pm

For those of you who have been to an admitted student day at FSU, do you know whether or not they give away free stuff (e.g., water bottles, shirts, etc.)?

Sandro

Postby Sandro » Fri Mar 11, 2011 9:53 pm

Neo wrote:For those of you who have been to an admitted student day at FSU, do you know whether or not they give away free stuff (e.g., water bottles, shirts, etc.)?

at ASD they gave a t shirt/water bottle.

FeelTheHeat

Postby FeelTheHeat » Fri Mar 11, 2011 9:54 pm

Also, a pen and cheetos ftw

Neo

Postby Neo » Fri Mar 11, 2011 9:59 pm

Sandro wrote:
Neo wrote:For those of you who have been to an admitted student day at FSU, do you know whether or not they give away free stuff (e.g., water bottles, shirts, etc.)?

at ASD they gave a t shirt/water bottle.

This is better than the acceptance :mrgreen:

Sandro

Postby Sandro » Fri Mar 11, 2011 10:04 pm

FeelTheHeat wrote:Also, a pen and cheetos ftw

I had cool ranch doritos, those we so clutch. And that orange juice.

FeelTheHeat

Postby FeelTheHeat » Fri Mar 11, 2011 10:30 pm

Sandro wrote:

The orange juice was a phenomenal hangover healer lol

leidice

Postby leidice » Fri Mar 11, 2011 10:38 pm

FeelTheHeat wrote:
Sandro wrote:

The orange juice was a phenomenal hangover healer lol

Yeah, something a lot of us needed that day haha.
I had BBQ lays! mmmm

ps: Also got a nice little FSU notebook, and a small packet of colored post-it tabbies!

LSATmakesMeNeurotic

Postby LSATmakesMeNeurotic » Fri Mar 11, 2011 10:56 pm

those tabbies were awesome! I have a collection of those from my office haha. Also, the water bottle was definitely a nice touch even if it has the FSU label on it. I walk around UF with it all the time now haha.

FeelTheHeat

Postby FeelTheHeat » Fri Mar 11, 2011 10:56 pm

LSATmakesMeNeurotic wrote:those tabbies were awesome! I have a collection of those from my office haha. Also, the water bottle was definitely a nice touch even if it has the FSU label on it. I walk around UF with it all the time now haha.

The water bottle was great, I take it to the gym all the time.

leidice

Postby leidice » Fri Mar 11, 2011 10:59 pm

FeelTheHeat wrote:
LSATmakesMeNeurotic wrote:those tabbies were awesome! I have a collection of those from my office haha. Also, the water bottle was definitely a nice touch even if it has the FSU label on it. I walk around UF with it all the time now haha.

The water bottle was great, I take it to the gym all the time.

On a scale of 1-10, I rate all the swag we received at.... an 8.5

alicrimson

Postby alicrimson » Fri Mar 11, 2011 11:10 pm

IN today!!!!!!!!!!!!! Got the voicemail on the bus on the way to the race. Nice way to start spring break. I'm shocked because I thought of both of the big Floridas FSU would be my WL/Reject. V,v excited! Also shocked because LSAT was not so hot. Oh well. Night Nole, fight Nole.

FeelTheHeat

Postby FeelTheHeat » Fri Mar 11, 2011 11:14 pm

alicrimson wrote:IN today!!!!!!!!!!!!! Got the voicemail on the bus on the way to the race. Nice way to start spring break. I'm shocked because I thought of both of the big Floridas FSU would be my WL/Reject. V,v excited! Also shocked because LSAT was not so hot. Oh well. Night Nole, fight Nole.

Congrats! Are you for sure attending?

alicrimson

Postby alicrimson » Fri Mar 11, 2011 11:21 pm

FeelTheHeat wrote:
alicrimson wrote:IN today!!!!!!!!!!!!! Got the voicemail on the bus on the way to the race. Nice way to start spring break. I'm shocked because I thought of both of the big Floridas FSU would be my WL/Reject. V,v excited! Also shocked because LSAT was not so hot. Oh well. Night Nole, fight Nole.

Congrats! Are you for sure attending?

Waiting on UF and Bama to make a counter. Haha. Not sure. But surely am very happy to be accepted and saving about 100 grand in one day. Meaning: no Miami and no Tulane. What about you?

SixStrings11

Postby SixStrings11 » Fri Mar 11, 2011 11:49 pm

Congrats! I'm glad at least one of us heard from one of these schools. Happy for you.

ChiCubs14

Postby ChiCubs14 » Sat Mar 12, 2011 12:12 am

I wish I could say no Miami...

I really want to hear back from FSU and UF...lol... this waiting is killing me!!

Congrats on all the acceptances today though!

EricBerry

Postby EricBerry » Sat Mar 12, 2011 12:20 pm

I've got a few questions for current students and future students in the know:
1. Is LRW graded? What's the structure of the class? Any other quirks in the curriculum I should know about?
2. Are previous exams available in the library/online?
3. Will Macs work with the exam software?
4. I'm planning on living in the direct vicinity of the law school. Is this a good choice? Are there decent restaurants and grocery stores within walking distance?
5. What kind of grades do you need for the study abroad programs?
6. How do students get football tickets?
7. Any good fishing areas nearby?

Thanks! Looking forward to my visit!

FeelTheHeat

Postby FeelTheHeat » Sat Mar 12, 2011 12:32 pm

EricBerry wrote:I've got a few questions for current students and future students in the know:
1. Is LRW graded? Any other quirks in the curriculum I should know about?
2. Are previous exams available in the library/online?
3. Will Macs work with the exam software?
4. I'm planning on living in the direct vicinity of the law school. Is this a good choice? Are there decent restaurants and grocery stores within walking distance?
5. What kind of grades do you need for the study abroad programs?
6. How do students get football tickets?
7. Are there plenty of cabs in Tally on the weekends? Do you even need them?
8. Any good fishing areas nearby?

Thanks! Looking forward to my visit!

I can answer a few of these from ASD...

LRW is graded. Sucks, but whatever.

Macs work with the exam software.

The closer the apartment is to the school, the shittier and more expensive it is likely to be. Weird, right? They say if you look about 10-15 away (on a bike), you find some great value. The students didn't make it sound like a problem. There were PLENTY of restaurants, its technically a city so you'll have plenty of options to choose from.

Football tickets are free and the students we talked to said they don't miss a single game. I loved that.

I took a cab when I went out with my merry band of TLSers, but it was goddamn expensive.

Wish I could answer the fishing, as its something I'm looking forward to do to relieve the stress.

alicrimson wrote:Waiting on UF and Bama to make a counter. Haha. Not sure. But surely am very happy to be accepted and saving about 100 grand in one day. Meaning: no Miami and no Tulane. What about you?

Change my mind by the day. Its frustrating. I think I'm going to end up having a one hour special on ESPN 3 announcing my decision with all proceeds going to charity.

Skipper2014

Postby Skipper2014 » Sat Mar 12, 2011 1:30 pm

EricBerry wrote:Thanks! 99% sure I'll be attending. I talked to admissions today and they made it sound pretty easy to gain residency. Sounds like I need to secure housing by July to satisfy the 12 month residency requirement. I'll definitely be looking for roommates.

Weird question about residency -- specifically registering your car. Does your car have to be physically present at the DMV to register it (I know it does in CA and various other states). I have a FL mailing address as of today, and I'm going to be flying out this summer but making the terrible coast to coast drive until August. If I bring my plates, proof of insurance and proof of address to the DMV is that enough? Or do they have to do some sort of vehicle inspection? I just want to get this taken care of as early as possible so I don't have to think about it anymore :D

EricBerry

Postby EricBerry » Sat Mar 12, 2011 1:47 pm

Skipper2014 wrote:Weird question about residency -- specifically registering your car. Does your car have to be physically present at the DMV to register it (I know it does in CA and various other states). I have a FL mailing address as of today, and I'm going to be flying out this summer but making the terrible coast to coast drive until August. If I bring my plates, proof of insurance and proof of address to the DMV is that enough? Or do they have to do some sort of vehicle inspection? I just want to get this taken care of as early as possible so I don't have to think about it anymore :D

I don't know the answer to your question, but you should contact one of the Motor Vehicle Service locations listed here: http://www.flhsmv.gov/offices/leon.html. Also, is there a particular reason that you decided to get housing in FL this early if you're not moving down until August? I was planning on getting a place in July in order to satisfy the 12 month residency requirement. I was going to move to Tally in July and work through the residency reclassification checklist (driver's license, declaration of domicile, voter registration, and vehicle registration). Would that be too late?

Skipper2014

Postby Skipper2014 » Sat Mar 12, 2011 1:54 pm

EricBerry wrote:
Skipper2014 wrote:Weird question about residency -- specifically registering your car. Does your car have to be physically present at the DMV to register it (I know it does in CA and various other states). I have a FL mailing address as of today, and I'm going to be flying out this summer but making the terrible coast to coast drive until August. If I bring my plates, proof of insurance and proof of address to the DMV is that enough? Or do they have to do some sort of vehicle inspection? I just want to get this taken care of as early as possible so I don't have to think about it anymore :D

I don't know the answer to your question, but you should contact one of the Motor Vehicle Service locations listed here: http://www.flhsmv.gov/offices/leon.html. Also, is there a particular reason that you decided to get housing in FL this early if you're not moving down until August? I was planning on getting a place in July in order to satisfy the 12 month residency requirement. I was going to move to Tally in July and work through the residency reclassification checklist (driver's license, declaration of domicile, voter registration, and vehicle registration). Would that be too late?

I think July is plenty of time but August is potentially too late. My fiance is military and is going to be stationed out there (technically in St. Mary's, GA) but he has housing lined up in JAX already so we have a mailing address. Obviously if I go to FSU I won't be living with him, but I'll use his permanent address as mine. But we can't transfer until early August (ie: the military won't pay to move our stuff until then), so I'd like to fly out there beforehand and take care of residency stuff in the summer in case August is too late. If I end up going to FSU I'll also probably look around for a place to live then, too.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”