FSU c/o2014 Applicants!

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
amarkonthedoor

Re: FSU c/o2014 Applicants!

Postby amarkonthedoor » Sun Mar 06, 2011 7:29 pm

amniwi wrote:I saw some people worried about bringing people to ASD. I went last year with a current 1L, and many people brought significant others and friends, though parents were not so frequent. Just FYI.

Ok, makes sense...thanks for the tip! I'll be coming alone like a few others said. Anyone else staying at the Doubletree?

pnt07

Postby pnt07 » Sun Mar 06, 2011 8:58 pm

I found out I got in through email yesterday!!! It was a really quick response. I put in my app around 2/23 went under review within like a day or two, and heard back on 3/4.

I just checked my phone messages and I got a scholarship too!

Mattfl88

Postby Mattfl88 » Sun Mar 06, 2011 11:29 pm

last.chance wrote:
Mattfl88 wrote:
last.chance wrote:Just finalized my travel arrangements for the ASD on the 25th. CAN'T WAIT.

I'm out of state, and got money @mattfl88.

Congrats on the scholarship!

I'll be attending as well on the 25th. Where you staying?

Thanks! I will be at the Days Inn -- University Center. You?

I'm staying at Holiday Inn and Suites at Monroe and I-10. I did the name your own price thing. I wanted to stay downtown but maybe I selected the wrong area. Oh well not too far and isn't costing me much.

highdraws

Postby highdraws » Mon Mar 07, 2011 1:07 am

Congrats to all the c/o 2014 admits!
FSU COL is a fantastic place to study the law, truly a school on the rise. I'm a 1L, and would be happy to answer any questions from those excited about attending or those still trying to make that all important decision. If there are enough inquires, I'll move the thread over to the "Discuss Your Law School" forum.
Congrats again!

Skipper2014

Postby Skipper2014 » Mon Mar 07, 2011 1:32 am

Thanks for taking questions! This is probably randomly specific, but my situation is a bit unique. My fiancée is Navy (no military jabs, please :D )and will be stationed near Jacksonville and buying a house there. We plan to stay in FL for the rest of his career (12 years) if not longer. UF is closer and I could feasibly live with him throughout law school (hooray free rent!), but I'm much more concerned with which school will place better in the JAX area. Any insight on this or on the market in JAX in general?

FeelTheHeat

Postby FeelTheHeat » Mon Mar 07, 2011 1:35 am

Hey highdraws, thanks for taking questions. First and foremost, I'm curious whether you consider the allocated $10,000 in living expenses listed in FSU's financial aid packet to be an accurate representation of cost of living. Next, do you know any classmates that were given the choice between UF and FSU? I'm just curious if it was a considerable amount. Thanks again.

highdraws

Postby highdraws » Mon Mar 07, 2011 2:24 am

Skipper2014 wrote:Thanks for taking questions! This is probably randomly specific, but my situation is a bit unique. My fiancée is Navy (no military jabs, please :D )and will be stationed near Jacksonville and buying a house there. We plan to stay in FL for the rest of his career (12 years) if not longer. UF is closer and I could feasibly live with him throughout law school (hooray free rent!), but I'm much more concerned with which school will place better in the JAX area. Any insight on this or on the market in JAX in general?

Agreed, your situation is unique. Honestly, UF probably has a stronger presence in JAX. Geographically, it's closer, and that often plays a bigger role than it probably should.
That being said, in today's market, there are two main game changers: 1) class rank, and 2) connections.
If you're in the top third at FSU, I'm pretty confident that come 2013 or 2014, there won't be many FL markets that you won't have a puncher's chance of getting a foot in the door.
And, as always, connections will build bridges faster than a slew of engineers. If you have a strong connection to JAX, that's a huge selling point for firms-agencies-companies. The legal market is tough right now, and people don't want to invest time and resources in a young lawyer when they suspect he/she is waiting for the first tempting bus ticket out of town (or out of the firm).

I haven't read through this thread, but I suspect there's some "UF v. FSU" banter going. They're both great schools, by far the best two in Florida. Your situation is unique, and while I'll always advocate for FSU, I don't think you'll be disappointed with either choice. As long as you kick butt, you'll be able to get into the JAX market with both.
Last edited by highdraws on Mon Mar 07, 2011 12:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

highdraws

Postby highdraws » Mon Mar 07, 2011 2:52 am

FeelTheHeat wrote:Hey highdraws, thanks for taking questions. First and foremost, I'm curious whether you consider the allocated $10,000 in living expenses listed in FSU's financial aid packet to be an accurate representation of cost of living. Next, do you know any classmates that were given the choice between UF and FSU? I'm just curious if it was a considerable amount. Thanks again.

Don't mention it, FeelTheHeat, I'm happy to help.
1) I do think 10K is an accurate representation. My rent for a single apt is $660. According to my standards, I live in a very accommodating complex about 10 minutes from the law school. My complex isn't one of those "for students" get-ups. It's quiet and modest, and I get a lot of studying done with no distractions.
There's a complex directly across from the law school (you can wake up and be in class in less than 10 minutes), and while it's not as nice as other places, it's pretty cheap and a lot of law students prefer the convenience. In addition, there are many other reasonable places to live. And if you choose to have a roommate or two, that 10K estimate is definitely accurate.

2) A fair amount of my classmates were accepted to both FSU and UF, myself included. Since you mention it, my understanding is that over half of all FSU Law students are UF alums. We even have a LitiGators student organization.
I'm making an assumption here, but I'm guessing your question is hitting at why people who were accepted to both FSU an UF ultimately choose to come to FSU. (correct me if I'm wrong)
FSU is amazingly friendly and supportive. The professors, TA's, librarians, and older students are always willing to go the extra mile for you. Dean Weidner is a fantastic spokesperson for our law school, and he's probably the most approachable person I've ever met considering his position. He invited a group of us to his house, and he and his wife talked my ears off.
I don't doubt that UF is a great school, but if you work hard and are willing to put yourself out there, FSU won't let you fall through the cracks. And considering how tough the legal market is, I think that says a lot.

Mattfl88

Postby Mattfl88 » Mon Mar 07, 2011 10:12 am

Thanks again highdraws. I know that FSU COL is a couple blocks away from the capitol and courts, but how many opportunities do you see law students getting within the state government? Also, Have you heard of students going to work as lobbyists or consultants for unions, interest groups, political parties, etc? As you can tell I am interested in public policy/legislation and basically am wondering the relationship between FSU college of law and the state government.

highdraws

Postby highdraws » Mon Mar 07, 2011 2:14 pm

Mattfl88 wrote:Thanks again highdraws. I know that FSU COL is a couple blocks away from the capitol and courts, but how many opportunities do you see law students getting within the state government? Also, Have you heard of students going to work as lobbyists or consultants for unions, interest groups, political parties, etc? As you can tell I am interested in public policy/legislation and basically am wondering the relationship between FSU college of law and the state government.

There are a fair amount of opportunities on the hill for us. If you're willing to volunteer, you'll have a wider array of options. There are also a few structured, paid internship programs that are awesome, like this one - http://www.flsenate.gov/usercontent/pub ... ochure.pdf
As I understand, the Senate program had around 12 interns for '10-'11 year, and all of them were FSU Law students. If you know that's what you're interested in, then you're already ahead of the game. The opportunities are definitely there if you start planning for them on Day 1.

I don't know anyone personally who has gone onto one of those jobs, and a 2 or 3L could probably answer the question better, but I do know that some FSU law students do start working in Florida public policy/legislation. I think that path probably isn't as well defined as others, mainly because you don't really need a law degree to get into politics, but if you spend your free time during law school working on the hill and building your resume towards that career path, then it's certainly attainable.
FSU Law is definitely well represented in those fields and the law school could put you in touch with alumni who will answer questions, give guidance, etc.

NCtoDC

Postby NCtoDC » Mon Mar 07, 2011 7:20 pm

Mattfl88 wrote:Thanks again highdraws. I know that FSU COL is a couple blocks away from the capitol and courts, but how many opportunities do you see law students getting within the state government? Also, Have you heard of students going to work as lobbyists or consultants for unions, interest groups, political parties, etc? As you can tell I am interested in public policy/legislation and basically am wondering the relationship between FSU college of law and the state government.

FWIW, at academic scholars day there was a a lady on the alumni panel that is a lobbyist.

fsulawjd

Postby fsulawjd » Tue Mar 08, 2011 1:58 pm

Hi everyone!

I'm a recent FSU COL graduate and like highdraws, I'm here to answer your questions and encourage you to choose FSU!

I noticed that there was some discussion regarding the public policy field. The Florida Senate and the Florida House both have great internship programs. They pay and offer some tuition benefits. Several of my friends did the program while in law school and I know many graduates who stayed on after graduation. Some of them are still there and others have used their experience to go into lobbying, government relations, or back into practicing. I'd definitely say that being in the capital and and the great relationship that FSU COL has with the state government is a plus. Its truly an experience that you can't get outside of Tallahassee.

I'm happy to answer any questions. I'll probably be checking the board about once a day, so please be patient. I'll definitely get back to you.

rmjones03

Postby rmjones03 » Wed Mar 09, 2011 12:03 pm

What are some good neighborhoods/areas to rent houses in Tallahasee? I have a dog, and though I can live in an apartment ( I am now) I would really like to rent a house with a backyard. He is an inside dog, but loves to be outside. Since I will be studying a lot, I don't want him to get bored. So... I just wanted to get some pointers on where to look. Also, I know FSU has that site for finding roommates, is that a good way to go about finding someone, or is there another/better way of doing so. And, thanks for your help!!

FeelTheHeat

Postby FeelTheHeat » Wed Mar 09, 2011 12:32 pm

rmjones03 wrote:What are some good neighborhoods/areas to rent houses in Tallahasee? I have a dog, and though I can live in an apartment ( I am now) I would really like to rent a house with a backyard. He is an inside dog, but loves to be outside. Since I will be studying a lot, I don't want him to get bored. So... I just wanted to get some pointers on where to look. Also, I know FSU has that site for finding roommates, is that a good way to go about finding someone, or is there another/better way of doing so. And, thanks for your help!!

A TLSer I know IRL said themselves and one other person are the only two people listed on the roommate finder from FSU lol, I need to stop being lazy and start looking into housing already. Or make up my damn mind between FSU and UF in the first place.

Barbie

Postby Barbie » Wed Mar 09, 2011 12:34 pm

FeelTheHeat wrote:
rmjones03 wrote:What are some good neighborhoods/areas to rent houses in Tallahasee? I have a dog, and though I can live in an apartment ( I am now) I would really like to rent a house with a backyard. He is an inside dog, but loves to be outside. Since I will be studying a lot, I don't want him to get bored. So... I just wanted to get some pointers on where to look. Also, I know FSU has that site for finding roommates, is that a good way to go about finding someone, or is there another/better way of doing so. And, thanks for your help!!

A TLSer I know IRL said themselves and one other person are the only two people listed on the roommate finder from FSU lol, I need to stop being lazy and start looking into housing already. Or make up my damn mind between FSU and UF in the first place.

I didn't know this was still up for debate with you hah

FeelTheHeat

Postby FeelTheHeat » Wed Mar 09, 2011 3:59 pm

Barbie wrote:
FeelTheHeat wrote:

I didn't know this was still up for debate with you hah

Gville is 2 hours closer to my lady and there is chance she does her accounting masters there...you visiting seems to have made up your mind, I'm planning a trip so hopefully the same can happen for me lol

Barbie

Postby Barbie » Wed Mar 09, 2011 4:05 pm

FeelTheHeat wrote:
Barbie wrote:I didn't know this was still up for debate with you hah

Gville is 2 hours closer to my lady and there is chance she does her accounting masters there...you visiting seems to have made up your mind, I'm planning a trip so hopefully the same can happen for me lol

Just make 100% sure you would choose the school even if she wasn't in the picture. I can't stress that enough!!

Sandro

Postby Sandro » Wed Mar 09, 2011 4:28 pm

Dont base your decision off your gf! Unless she is pregnant or you have the ring to put on her today! Lol

Barbie

Postby Barbie » Wed Mar 09, 2011 6:03 pm

Sandro wrote:Dont base your decision off your gf! Unless she is pregnant or you have the ring to put on her today! Lol

:)
Even the ring! My first srs boyfriend and I got engaged and I was all like yay I love you, and then I got a little older and realized.. meh I could do better and did! He, unfortunately, was a heart broken guy who went to a certain school FOR ME (was a good bit older than me too). I'm just sayin, choose for you. If it ends up making your relationship not work, that relationship wasn't meant to :)

FeelTheHeat

Postby FeelTheHeat » Wed Mar 09, 2011 6:31 pm

You guys are 100% correct, which pisses me off all that much more that I can't stop doing it lol

NCtoDC

Postby NCtoDC » Wed Mar 09, 2011 6:51 pm

Sandro wrote:Dont base your decision off your gf! Unless she is pregnant or you have the ring to put on her today! Lol

+1

Barbie wrote:

:)
Even the ring! My first srs boyfriend and I got engaged and I was all like yay I love you, and then I got a little older and realized.. meh I could do better and did! He, unfortunately, was a heart broken guy who went to a certain school FOR ME (was a good bit older than me too). I'm just sayin, choose for you. If it ends up making your relationship not work, that relationship wasn't meant to :)

+1

FeelTheHeat

Postby FeelTheHeat » Wed Mar 09, 2011 6:54 pm

Barbie is just trying to keep me away from UF I'm bad luck for her lol

fsulawjd

Postby fsulawjd » Thu Mar 10, 2011 12:42 pm

There are obviously a ton of apartment complexes in Tallahasse. However, if you'd like a house I would focus on the side of town that doesn't cater to the undergraduate population. My 3L year, I lived in a house in the Midtown area. I know several other people who did that as well. There were always for rent signs around. Southwood is also a great residential area. Its probably slightly more expensive. I'd start checking craigslist and the websites for realty companies.

As far as roommates go, its really up to you. I know some people who met through the roommate matching board. Sometimes it worked out and sometimes it didn't. A lot of people met their roommates at Admitted Students Day/Scholars Day. That's how I met mine. If you have attended or will be attending, definitely make friends and stay in touch through the spring and summer. Even if you don't end up living together, its nice to know some people at orientation.

Hope this helps and let me know if you have further questions!

rmjones03

Postby rmjones03 » Fri Mar 11, 2011 12:39 am

fsulawjd wrote:

There are obviously a ton of apartment complexes in Tallahasse. However, if you'd like a house I would focus on the side of town that doesn't cater to the undergraduate population. My 3L year, I lived in a house in the Midtown area. I know several other people who did that as well. There were always for rent signs around. Southwood is also a great residential area. Its probably slightly more expensive. I'd start checking craigslist and the websites for realty companies.

As far as roommates go, its really up to you. I know some people who met through the roommate matching board. Sometimes it worked out and sometimes it didn't. A lot of people met their roommates at Admitted Students Day/Scholars Day. That's how I met mine. If you have attended or will be attending, definitely make friends and stay in touch through the spring and summer. Even if you don't end up living together, its nice to know some people at orientation.

Hope this helps and let me know if you have further questions!

Thanks for the info. I will check into the areas you suggested, and I will be at the ASD this month:)

EricBerry

Postby EricBerry » Fri Mar 11, 2011 2:48 pm

Just got accepted from hold. I'm completely shocked. 160 3.0 OOS non-URM. I guess theres some truth to the rumor about FSU looking at degree GPA (3.7). It's gonna be a tough choice between FSU and UK w/$$$.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”