FSU c/o2014 Applicants!

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
dukivich10

Re: FSU c/o2014 Applicants!

Postby dukivich10 » Thu Oct 14, 2010 1:10 pm

I've been in since 9/2

Barbie

Postby Barbie » Thu Oct 14, 2010 1:14 pm

dukivich10 wrote:I've been in since 9/2

someone else joining us in this fantastic edition of "The Waiting Game", it's great to have you! :D

dukivich10

Postby dukivich10 » Thu Oct 14, 2010 1:18 pm

Don't worry I've been stalking this threads every move. Part of me wishes I wouldn't of applied so early just for blood pressure and anxiety reasons.

Barbie

Postby Barbie » Thu Oct 14, 2010 1:24 pm

dukivich10 wrote:Don't worry I've been stalking this threads every move. Part of me wishes I wouldn't of applied so early just for blood pressure and anxiety reasons.

same!! since they are known for being so quick with admitting applicants, the three week+ wait has convinced me I've been autodinged.

dukivich10

Postby dukivich10 » Thu Oct 14, 2010 1:31 pm

Don't let the TLS negativity get to you...everybody has a chance...I have personal knowledge of some bad scores getting onto good schools(everyone would call me a flame or troll or whatever if I told u). I'm only applying once, so that's why I applied to schools where I have little chance. I can get into schools that I would be proud of for my situation. If I get lucky, then I can go from there.

Barbie

Postby Barbie » Thu Oct 14, 2010 1:33 pm

dukivich10 wrote:Don't let the TLS negativity get to you...everybody has a chance...I have personal knowledge of some bad scores getting onto good schools(everyone would call me a flame or troll or whatever if I told u). I'm only applying once, so that's why I applied to schools where I have little chance. I can get into schools that I would be proud of for my situation. If I get lucky, then I can go from there.

Well I originally considered myself to be pretty locked in at FSU, because LSN shows my #s in a sea of pretty, green acceptances. But it also shows how quickly these people heard back after they applied. I worried I messed something up in my application... who knows!! All we can do is sit back, drink a beer, and try to calm the anxiety :). Oh, and HOPE!

dukivich10

Postby dukivich10 » Thu Oct 14, 2010 1:40 pm

Barbie wrote:
dukivich10 wrote:Don't let the TLS negativity get to you...everybody has a chance...I have personal knowledge of some bad scores getting onto good schools(everyone would call me a flame or troll or whatever if I told u). I'm only applying once, so that's why I applied to schools where I have little chance. I can get into schools that I would be proud of for my situation. If I get lucky, then I can go from there.

Well I originally considered myself to be pretty locked in at FSU, because LSN shows my #s in a sea of pretty, green acceptances. But it also shows how quickly these people heard back after they applied. I worried I messed something up in my application... who knows!! All we can do is sit back, drink a beer, and try to calm the anxiety :). Oh, and HOPE!

Noone on LSN has heard anything. Do they call or mail the decision?

Barbie

Postby Barbie » Thu Oct 14, 2010 1:48 pm

dukivich10 wrote:
Barbie wrote:

Noone on LSN has heard anything. Do they call or mail the decision?

They called minuit, so I suppose they would call all acceptances? Who knows. and I'm refering to last years cycle when comparing myself to when people heard...

minuit

Postby minuit » Thu Oct 14, 2010 1:52 pm

Yeah, they definitely call everyone accepted. A packet comes in the mail a few days later! Barbie, my guess is your overall GPA is holding you up, but if FSU takes degree GPA, I don't get it!! Your LSAT should be a lock.

Barbie

Postby Barbie » Thu Oct 14, 2010 3:33 pm

minuit wrote:Yeah, they definitely call everyone accepted. A packet comes in the mail a few days later! Barbie, my guess is your overall GPA is holding you up, but if FSU takes degree GPA, I don't get it!! Your LSAT should be a lock.

Thats what they told me 98890380 times! :( With my LSAT last year they accepted even people with sub 3.0 GPA. I wonder if they made their admission index much more difficult this year. Either way, I really need to detatch my phone from my hand. I look at it every 15 minutes haha!

minuit

Postby minuit » Thu Oct 14, 2010 4:09 pm

Barbie wrote:
minuit wrote:Yeah, they definitely call everyone accepted. A packet comes in the mail a few days later! Barbie, my guess is your overall GPA is holding you up, but if FSU takes degree GPA, I don't get it!! Your LSAT should be a lock.

Thats what they told me 98890380 times! :( With my LSAT last year they accepted even people with sub 3.0 GPA. I wonder if they made their admission index much more difficult this year. Either way, I really need to detatch my phone from my hand. I look at it every 15 minutes haha!

Well maybe they haven't started handing out other acceptances yet. I'm sort of an unreprentative sample because of my history with them... there hasn't been anyone else yet who has reported being accepted. So don't worry!! :)

Neo

Postby Neo » Thu Oct 14, 2010 6:25 pm

minuit wrote:
Barbie wrote:

Well maybe they haven't started handing out other acceptances yet. I'm sort of an unreprentative sample because of my history with them... there hasn't been anyone else yet who has reported being accepted. So don't worry!! :)

Minuit,

Are you in the honors legal scholars program at Florida State? I ask because that's the only way I can understand you being the only person accepted so far (by the way congratulations!). My GPA is close to yours and although my LSAT score is a little lower than yours, I still have not heard anything. AND I did the Summer for Undergraduates Program last summer. Do you have any other ties to the law school that could maybe help the rest of us out? For some reason I don't think the reasons you listed were things that gave you too much of an edge over other applicants.

When I spoke with the admissions people the lady told me that they want their average LSAT to be a 162. The way I see it is that since UF jumped up in the rankings so far ahead of FSU (they used to be only 1 apart) FSU is trying to play catch up. That's why they respond so quickly to people with numbers above their target scores and wait to let other people know later in the cycle. But I don't see why Barbie hasn't heard anything given that her LSAT meets their "requirements", ESPECIALLY if they actually take the degree GPA over LSAC's.

Does anyone know how they take into account the question on the application that asks what other schools you are applying to? I don't think it's fair/gives them an accurate representation of your desire to go to their school. Of course people are going to apply to reach schools so I am wondering if this has any bearing on the decision/speed of the decision?

minuit

Postby minuit » Thu Oct 14, 2010 7:58 pm

Neo wrote:

Minuit,

Are you in the honors legal scholars program at Florida State? I ask because that's the only way I can understand you being the only person accepted so far (by the way congratulations!). My GPA is close to yours and although my LSAT score is a little lower than yours, I still have not heard anything. AND I did the Summer for Undergraduates Program last summer. Do you have any other ties to the law school that could maybe help the rest of us out? For some reason I don't think the reasons you listed were things that gave you too much of an edge over other applicants.

I am not in the legal scholars program... I was going to give the reason that I've done SUG, but I see that you've done it, too... Hmm. I don't know. :? I also listed the other schools I am applying to this cycle, so I don't think they take that into account positively or negatively.

Neo

Postby Neo » Thu Oct 14, 2010 8:43 pm

minuit wrote:
Neo wrote:

Minuit,

I am not in the legal scholars program... I was going to give the reason that I've done SUG, but I see that you've done it, too... Hmm. I don't know. :? I also listed the other schools I am applying to this cycle, so I don't think they take that into account positively or negatively.

I think I might know who you are, when did you do SUG? I did it the summer of 2009....

minuit

Postby minuit » Thu Oct 14, 2010 9:10 pm

haha yeah we probably do! feel free to pm me :)

Barbie

Postby Barbie » Thu Oct 14, 2010 9:30 pm

Neo wrote:When I spoke with the admissions people the lady told me that they want their average LSAT to be a 162. The way I see it is that since UF jumped up in the rankings so far ahead of FSU (they used to be only 1 apart) FSU is trying to play catch up. That's why they respond so quickly to people with numbers above their target scores and wait to let other people know later in the cycle. But I don't see why Barbie hasn't heard anything given that her LSAT meets their "requirements", ESPECIALLY if they actually take the degree GPA over LSAC's.

Does anyone know how they take into account the question on the application that asks what other schools you are applying to? I don't think it's fair/gives them an accurate representation of your desire to go to their school. Of course people are going to apply to reach schools so I am wondering if this has any bearing on the decision/speed of the decision?

I thought their median was already 162? They have no desire to bring this up? I guess with their ranking it is going to be difficult (and with UF right down the street)...

I listed some pretty well ranked schools, because I kind of figured they would rather know about the reaches than the safeties (what school they will actually be compared to) so I hope that doesn't have any impact on decisions. That would be pretty lame if they did... I think it's mostly to detect people who are using it as a seriously safety (also applying to t14) ? I have no idea..

jr1886

Postby jr1886 » Fri Oct 15, 2010 9:19 am

I'm thinking about Not listing any other schools I am applying to. I think they asked this question strictly for Yield related purposes.

Barbie

Postby Barbie » Tue Oct 19, 2010 2:05 pm

My status checker was complete a while ago, then went incomplete today, then complete again... so I called... and she said I actually went under review today. uhohhhh...

dukivich10

Postby dukivich10 » Tue Oct 19, 2010 5:14 pm

Barbie wrote:My status checker was complete a while ago, then went incomplete today, then complete again... so I called... and she said I actually went under review today. uhohhhh...

Barbie, did your current status date change on your status checker?

ns77770

Postby ns77770 » Tue Oct 19, 2010 5:21 pm

Barbie wrote:My status checker was complete a while ago, then went incomplete today, then complete again... so I called... and she said I actually went under review today. uhohhhh...

Damn it I convinced myself not to look today, and now I will never know if mine was changing too...

bostlaw

Postby bostlaw » Tue Oct 19, 2010 5:25 pm

Barbie wrote:
ns77770 wrote:I'll be submitting in the next couple days (hopefully). I dare say, the campus is nicer than UF's! Plus I think I might like the Northern Florida feel, ya know?

I have a bad taste in my mouth about FSU's undergrad. Ive visited there once for a football game and it was downright nasty... hopefully the LS is much nicer and in a much nicer area. I want an older feel to the area... young adults rather than UG students. I have heard GREAT things though! And they are well ranked. Also, they take DEGREE GPA if it is higher than your cumulative! Win :)

ha bad taste? and this was based off a drunken crowd of UG students? and btw the law school is walking distance from the rest of campus ive visited before, its a really nice area, but same area as the univ.

Barbie

Postby Barbie » Tue Oct 19, 2010 7:41 pm

dukivich10 wrote:

Barbie, did your current status date change on your status checker?

Yes. It still says complete but it has todays date! (ns-- this is how you can tell!)

and bostlaw it wasn't so much the people as it was the area. Even outside it smelled like stale beer sewage. I just felt dirty the entire time. This was a BIG football weekend so I'm sure it isn't always like that... just a few weekends a year.

Barbie

Postby Barbie » Tue Oct 19, 2010 7:51 pm

You guys... it looks like I got rejected :( Decision made and in the mail. No phone call. No congratulations. Good luck to the rest of you!

ns77770

Postby ns77770 » Tue Oct 19, 2010 8:09 pm

Barbie wrote:You guys... it looks like I got rejected :( Decision made and in the mail. No phone call. No congratulations. Good luck to the rest of you!

Your status checker said your decision is in the mail? Also, Maybe your call is coming tomorrow?

charlesxavier

Postby charlesxavier » Tue Oct 19, 2010 8:11 pm

ns77770 wrote:
Barbie wrote:You guys... it looks like I got rejected :( Decision made and in the mail. No phone call. No congratulations. Good luck to the rest of you!

Your status checker said your decision is in the mail? Also, Maybe your call is coming tomorrow?

I agree. The call will probably come tomorrow. For my acceptance to Tennessee my status online changed to show that I was getting something mailed the day before I got the call.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”