FSU c/o2014 Applicants! Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
FeelTheHeat

Platinum

Re: FSU c/o2014 Applicants!

Post by FeelTheHeat » Sat Mar 12, 2011 2:51 pm

In the UF topic there was a report that the tuition will be around $18,500. In the FSU financial aid newsletter, it lists the the expected tuition to be $16,500. Is there any credence to that disparity? If that rate of increase continues it could make a substantial difference in total costs over 3 years.

If that disparity holds up over 3 years, that will make a $26,000 in COA difference for me. Damn.

EricBerry

Bronze

Post by EricBerry » Sat Mar 12, 2011 2:56 pm

Skipper2014 wrote:I think July is plenty of time but August is potentially too late. My fiance is military and is going to be stationed out there (technically in St. Mary's, GA) but he has housing lined up in JAX already so we have a mailing address. Obviously if I go to FSU I won't be living with him, but I'll use his permanent address as mine. But we can't transfer until early August (ie: the military won't pay to move our stuff until then), so I'd like to fly out there beforehand and take care of residency stuff in the summer in case August is too late. If I end up going to FSU I'll also probably look around for a place to live then, too.
Ahhh, gotcha. FWIW, I talked to someone in admissions yesterday and she said that you should go ahead and start taking care of what you can as soon as possible (early FL bar app requires transcripts from every UG and a bunch of supporting documents) and get housing by July. I'm gonna call next week and get a little more specific about the requirements because i have to be 100% sure that I'll get in-state by 2L.

EricBerry

Bronze

Post by EricBerry » Sat Mar 12, 2011 2:59 pm

FeelTheHeat wrote:In the UF topic there was a report that the tuition will be around $18,500. In the FSU financial aid newsletter, it lists the the expected tuition to be $16,500. Is there any credence to that disparity? If that rate of increase continues it could make a substantial difference in total costs over 3 years.

If that disparity holds up over 3 years, that will make a $26,000 in COA difference for me. Damn.
Who in their right mind wants to be a jort-wearing Gator anyways? They're still bitter that Joachim Noah didn't get the #1 overall pick in the WNBA draft.

gnulaw77

New

Post by gnulaw77 » Sat Mar 12, 2011 5:31 pm

Skipper2014 wrote:Weird question about residency -- specifically registering your car. Does your car have to be physically present at the DMV to register it (I know it does in CA and various other states)
As of 4 years ago when I registered my car, it DID have to be physically present. An employee came outside to verify the VIN number.

EricBerry

Bronze

Post by EricBerry » Sat Mar 12, 2011 6:20 pm

Can anyone answer these questions posted earlier:

-Are previous exams available in the library/online?
-What kind of grades do you need for the study abroad programs?
-How do students get football tickets?
-Any good fishing areas nearby?

Thanks

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Tuyarp

Bronze

Post by Tuyarp » Sat Mar 12, 2011 7:17 pm

EricBerry wrote:Can anyone answer these questions posted earlier:

-Are previous exams available in the library/online?
-What kind of grades do you need for the study abroad programs?
-How do students get football tickets?
-Any good fishing areas nearby?

Thanks
I can answer the first three questions.

It depends on the professors. FSU is hiring a lot of new professors, so some professors don't have previous exams in the library. There are past exams in the library for the more established professors.

I'm not certain about this, but I think you just need to be in good standing to participate in the study abroad programs.

Students go online to print out football tickets. If there's more demand than available tickets, there will be a lottery. That usually happens when there is a big game (FSU vs. UF, for example).

EricBerry

Bronze

Post by EricBerry » Sat Mar 12, 2011 7:53 pm

Awesome. Good news all around. Can't wait for the ASD.

NCtoDC

Silver

Post by NCtoDC » Sat Mar 12, 2011 10:47 pm

Just to clarify, I believe the checklist states that all the requirements must be completed prior to the start of 1L classes...so that gives you the first week or so of August to get it all done.

EricBerry

Bronze

Post by EricBerry » Sun Mar 13, 2011 3:44 pm

NCtoDC wrote:Just to clarify, I believe the checklist states that all the requirements must be completed prior to the start of 1L classes...so that gives you the first week or so of August to get it all done.
I was told to get started on the early FL bar app as soon as possible because it requires fingerprints and transcripts from all UG institutions. Seems like it could take at least a month to complete. I'll take care of everything else when I move down in July because a couple of the items on the list require completion of others. I could be wrong, but starting in early August might not give you enough time.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Bill Cosby

Bronze

Post by Bill Cosby » Mon Mar 14, 2011 11:19 am

EricBerry wrote:
NCtoDC wrote:Just to clarify, I believe the checklist states that all the requirements must be completed prior to the start of 1L classes...so that gives you the first week or so of August to get it all done.
I was told to get started on the early FL bar app as soon as possible because it requires fingerprints and transcripts from all UG institutions. Seems like it could take at least a month to complete. I'll take care of everything else when I move down in July because a couple of the items on the list require completion of others. I could be wrong, but starting in early August might not give you enough time.
Do you know of a handy checklist?

NCtoDC

Silver

Post by NCtoDC » Mon Mar 14, 2011 11:38 am

Bill Cosby wrote:
EricBerry wrote:
http://www.law.fsu.edu/prospective_stud ... elines.pdf

Bill Cosby

Bronze

Post by Bill Cosby » Mon Mar 14, 2011 11:41 am

NCtoDC wrote:
Bill Cosby wrote:
EricBerry wrote:
http://www.law.fsu.edu/prospective_stud ... elines.pdf
Thanks! I remembered having seen this before, but had totally forgotten where.

hobie2515

New

Post by hobie2515 » Mon Mar 14, 2011 12:25 pm

Hey everybody! My status is currently on hold whatever that means.

I was going to visit the school at some point next week. I don't have much time but I was thinking of taking a basic tour, and talking with a few people within the admissions department. Is there anything else I should be looking at? What was helpful for others when they visited the school?

I really appreciate your input, thanks everyone!

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

noleknight16

Silver

Post by noleknight16 » Mon Mar 14, 2011 12:29 pm

Application complete since 2/1/11.

-______- What is going on!?!?!?

alicrimson

Silver

Post by alicrimson » Mon Mar 14, 2011 2:32 pm

noleknight16 wrote:Application complete since 2/1/11.

Before I received my acceptanceI was complete from very early November until mid-February and then on hold until last Friday. Theyt are probably sorting through people who applied ealier than you did unless your numbers are crazy high. Don't worry though you'll porbably hear very soon.

SixStrings11

Bronze

Post by SixStrings11 » Mon Mar 14, 2011 2:40 pm

Application complete since end of September.. Hold since 1/19. Don't fret.

last.chance

New

Post by last.chance » Mon Mar 14, 2011 2:52 pm

Went complete on Nov. 17, I think. Received decision on February 24th.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

fsulawjd

New

Post by fsulawjd » Mon Mar 14, 2011 4:12 pm

I noticed there were several posts regarding gaining Florida residency.

I moved from Virginia and gained residency after my 1L year so I'm very familiar with the process.

Its best to start the process ASAP, but if your lease doesn't start until August 1 that is ok. You just need to be in there and have started all of this before classes start. You also need to declare domicile, get a FL driver's license, register to vote, register your car, and apply to the FL Bar. I would try to take care of everything except the FL Bar before classes begin.

The FL will take some time to do so don't put it off. There will probably be a presentation on what needs to be done to apply during orientation. They'll give you the deadline to pay the lowest amount possible. If you get everything to in by that deadline, you will be fine.

I think I've covered everything. You can contact the FSU Registrar's office and they can assist you further.

Stardaze22

New

Post by Stardaze22 » Mon Mar 14, 2011 4:54 pm

yeah..same boat here as of 1/3/11. I want to call the office and get an idea of when these decisions will be out..I wonder if anyone has yet..

Bill Cosby

Bronze

Post by Bill Cosby » Mon Mar 14, 2011 5:18 pm

fsulawjd wrote:I noticed there were several posts regarding gaining Florida residency.

I moved from Virginia and gained residency after my 1L year so I'm very familiar with the process.

Its best to start the process ASAP, but if your lease doesn't start until August 1 that is ok. You just need to be in there and have started all of this before classes start. You also need to declare domicile, get a FL driver's license, register to vote, register your car, and apply to the FL Bar. I would try to take care of everything except the FL Bar before classes begin.

The FL will take some time to do so don't put it off. There will probably be a presentation on what needs to be done to apply during orientation. They'll give you the deadline to pay the lowest amount possible. If you get everything to in by that deadline, you will be fine.

I think I've covered everything. You can contact the FSU Registrar's office and they can assist you further.
Did you start school after the changes to the residency requirements?

EricBerry

Bronze

Post by EricBerry » Mon Mar 14, 2011 5:45 pm

For residency, you can take care of everything at the beginning of August before classes begin and the early application for the FL bar isn't due before the start of 1L. FSUlawjd--- is there anything that I can take care of now without having a FL residence?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Barbie

Gold

Post by Barbie » Mon Mar 14, 2011 10:22 pm

2 spot jump in rankings!

LSATmakesMeNeurotic

Silver

Post by LSATmakesMeNeurotic » Mon Mar 14, 2011 10:50 pm

Barbie wrote:2 spot jump in rankings!
hrm? I thought it went from 54-50...

Edit: Unless you're counting those that share the number...

Barbie

Gold

Post by Barbie » Mon Mar 14, 2011 10:53 pm

LSATmakesMeNeurotic wrote:
Barbie wrote:2 spot jump in rankings!
hrm? I thought it went from 54-50...

Edit: Unless you're counting those that share the number...
? According to LSP they were 52nd last year and now they are 50th...

Mattfl88

Bronze

Post by Mattfl88 » Mon Mar 14, 2011 10:58 pm

If anyone has paid US News would you mind copying and pasting the detailed stats for FSU?

I would feel bad paying $20 just to look at their stats.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”