FSU c/o2014 Applicants! Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
Sandro

Gold

Re: FSU c/o2014 Applicants!

Post by Sandro » Tue Dec 21, 2010 7:24 pm

just waiting on my CAS report for my file to go complete.. hopefully before the office leaves on winter break.

MattThiessen

Bronze

Post by MattThiessen » Tue Dec 21, 2010 8:54 pm

Received a scholarship offer for $8,000 per year today via regular mail. Now they are really starting to tempt me!

Barbie

Gold

Post by Barbie » Thu Dec 23, 2010 12:02 am

20k for first 2 years. <3 <3 <3

Sandro

Gold

Post by Sandro » Thu Dec 23, 2010 12:03 am

Went complete today!

Barbie

Gold

Post by Barbie » Thu Dec 23, 2010 12:06 am

MattThiessen wrote:Received a scholarship offer for $8,000 per year today via regular mail. Now they are really starting to tempt me!
Is it for every year? Mines 10k/year for first 2 years

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

mez06

Bronze

Post by mez06 » Thu Dec 23, 2010 12:55 am

If any of yall are visiting and want information, let me know. Went here for undergrad 8)
LOVED IT!

minuit

Silver

Post by minuit » Thu Dec 23, 2010 4:00 am

So I am not in Tallahassee to read the letter myself, but as my roommate explains it, FSU just gave me 32k. I AM IN SHOCK! Last year they only gave me 7,500. This is quite the curveball.

MattThiessen

Bronze

Post by MattThiessen » Thu Dec 23, 2010 11:09 am

Barbie wrote:
MattThiessen wrote:Received a scholarship offer for $8,000 per year today via regular mail. Now they are really starting to tempt me!
Is it for every year? Mines 10k/year for first 2 years
Yeah, it's a "$24k scholarship for 1L, 2L, and 3L" so, $8k per year - which is essentially half-tuition for me. As far as I can tell, there is no GPA stipulation or anything attached.

Do you classify as OOS Barbie?
minuit wrote:So I am not in Tallahassee to read the letter myself, but as my roommate explains it, FSU just gave me 32k. I AM IN SHOCK! Last year they only gave me 7,500. This is quite the curveball.
Congrats!!

minuit

Silver

Post by minuit » Thu Dec 23, 2010 12:18 pm

MattThiessen wrote:
minuit wrote:So I am not in Tallahassee to read the letter myself, but as my roommate explains it, FSU just gave me 32k. I AM IN SHOCK! Last year they only gave me 7,500. This is quite the curveball.
Congrats!!
Thanks! I am still surprised. This is going to be a tough decision for me, because going to FSU is probably 6 times cheaper than my other option (GW sticker). How do you put a price on your dreams???

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Barbie

Gold

Post by Barbie » Thu Dec 23, 2010 12:54 pm

No I'm in state. Mines 20k for the first 2 years (I forget the name of the scholarship) and it says its given 5k/semester first 2 years and then I can apply for one for the third year (prob based off my grades @ FSU). That still makes things really cheap. (@4k for first 2 years, and even if I got nothing the third year it would come out to... @22k before fees). Thats crazy.....

Sean Bateman

Bronze

Post by Sean Bateman » Sat Dec 25, 2010 11:48 pm

Barbie wrote:No I'm in state. Mines 20k for the first 2 years (I forget the name of the scholarship) and it says its given 5k/semester first 2 years and then I can apply for one for the third year (prob based off my grades @ FSU). That still makes things really cheap. (@4k for first 2 years, and even if I got nothing the third year it would come out to... @22k before fees). Thats crazy.....
do it. odds are you'll end up being very happy you did.
-fsu 1L

Barbie

Gold

Post by Barbie » Sat Dec 25, 2010 11:57 pm

Sean Bateman wrote:
Barbie wrote:No I'm in state. Mines 20k for the first 2 years (I forget the name of the scholarship) and it says its given 5k/semester first 2 years and then I can apply for one for the third year (prob based off my grades @ FSU). That still makes things really cheap. (@4k for first 2 years, and even if I got nothing the third year it would come out to... @22k before fees). Thats crazy.....
do it. odds are you'll end up being very happy you did.
-fsu 1L
I will definitly be attending ASD/ASW or whatever it is. I am going to visit Illinois next month which will give me an idea of how much I <3 it there. Such a difficult decision :(

Sandro

Gold

Post by Sandro » Sun Dec 26, 2010 12:05 am

Barbie you got a scholarship from Illinois right? FSU with that scholarship and instate tuition would be insanely cheap, almost free lol.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

mez06

Bronze

Post by mez06 » Sun Dec 26, 2010 1:56 pm

Sandro777 wrote:Barbie you got a scholarship from Illinois right? FSU with that scholarship and instate tuition would be insanely cheap, almost free lol.
What type of law do you want to practice Barbie? Not to seem negative or anything but Illinois would be a better fit career wise all-around unless you really wanted to practice in Fla gov't or make a political run. And before I get any hate, I went to FSU and bleed garnet & gold!

Barbie

Gold

Post by Barbie » Sun Dec 26, 2010 2:02 pm

Yeah I got 15k/year from Illinois so its pretty much a year for free. I might get instate tuition though because my boyfriend is moving there with me and getting a full time job and I'm going to make him put a ring on it ;). Even if I didn't get in-state though, I'm looking at @ 75k tuition debt from Illinois. FSU @ 22k or less seems amazzzzing, but I really want to get out of Florida. Thats my worry with FSU-- I would really try to make it travel to Georgia at least, and I don't know that it will.

mez06

Bronze

Post by mez06 » Sun Dec 26, 2010 2:13 pm

Barbie wrote:Yeah I got 15k/year from Illinois so its pretty much a year for free. I might get instate tuition though because my boyfriend is moving there with me and getting a full time job and I'm going to make him put a ring on it ;). Even if I didn't get in-state though, I'm looking at @ 75k tuition debt from Illinois. FSU @ 22k or less seems amazzzzing, but I really want to get out of Florida. Thats my worry with FSU-- I would really try to make it travel to Georgia at least, and I don't know that it will.
LOL...I dig it. Not sure if you applied, but if anything, I think UF would trump FSU in its GA reach (though both are probably relatively small as far as presence). FSU is a great place to be though. Very easy to network with government officials and get in the door with community leaders. And though I haven't been to IL yet, I'm assuming there is more job opportunity in Tally for the hubby simply based upon Tallahassee's size and "importance". I'm sure the visits will clear things up for ya though :D

Barbie

Gold

Post by Barbie » Sun Dec 26, 2010 2:42 pm

mez06 wrote:
Barbie wrote:Yeah I got 15k/year from Illinois so its pretty much a year for free. I might get instate tuition though because my boyfriend is moving there with me and getting a full time job and I'm going to make him put a ring on it ;). Even if I didn't get in-state though, I'm looking at @ 75k tuition debt from Illinois. FSU @ 22k or less seems amazzzzing, but I really want to get out of Florida. Thats my worry with FSU-- I would really try to make it travel to Georgia at least, and I don't know that it will.
LOL...I dig it. Not sure if you applied, but if anything, I think UF would trump FSU in its GA reach (though both are probably relatively small as far as presence). FSU is a great place to be though. Very easy to network with government officials and get in the door with community leaders. And though I haven't been to IL yet, I'm assuming there is more job opportunity in Tally for the hubby simply based upon Tallahassee's size and "importance". I'm sure the visits will clear things up for ya though :D
:lol:
Yeah I was accepted at UF but I doubt they will give me any $. I really have been stressing about it, but I don't feel ready to make any sort of decision. I honestly have no idea what I'm going to do :(.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Cmart050

New

Post by Cmart050 » Fri Jan 07, 2011 10:17 pm

Anyone hear anything recently? Specifically scholarship info? I'm pretty set on attending but man would a little merit-based scholarship be nice.

LSATmakesMeNeurotic

Silver

Post by LSATmakesMeNeurotic » Sat Jan 08, 2011 3:55 pm

Just got a scholarship for 24k for all three years: 12k for 1L and 6k for the other two. Weird division, but yay!

Cmart050

New

Post by Cmart050 » Sat Jan 08, 2011 5:02 pm

LSATmakesMeNeurotic wrote:Just got a scholarship for 24k for all three years: 12k for 1L and 6k for the other two. Weird division, but yay!
Congratulations! Did you fill out the scholarship application form they sent? If you did, when did you submit it? Thanks for the help and see you in the fall.

LSATmakesMeNeurotic

Silver

Post by LSATmakesMeNeurotic » Sat Jan 08, 2011 6:11 pm

Cmart050 wrote:
LSATmakesMeNeurotic wrote:Just got a scholarship for 24k for all three years: 12k for 1L and 6k for the other two. Weird division, but yay!
Congratulations! Did you fill out the scholarship application form they sent? If you did, when did you submit it? Thanks for the help and see you in the fall.
Yep. I got the application on November 22, and submitted it that night. Apparently, they sent me the scholarship on the 14th of December but I just got it in the mail today. (Thanks USPS).

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

leidice

Bronze

Post by leidice » Sat Jan 08, 2011 10:33 pm

Did anyone cater their PS to FSU specifically? My essay is a little less than 2.5 pages, but doesn't mention any specific school. I am however in UG at FSU... I feel like the fact I'm applying for law school at the same institution I'm in currently would pretty much explain why I want to attend the school. I want to send my app in soon, but the way my PS is written, it would flow very weirdly to add in a paragraph just explaining "why FSU" in it. Any advice? highest LSAT: 163, GPA: 3.9*.
Last edited by leidice on Tue Jan 11, 2011 8:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Cmart050

New

Post by Cmart050 » Sat Jan 08, 2011 11:01 pm

leidice wrote:Did anyone cater their PS to FSU specifically? My essay is a little less than 2.5 pages, but doesn't mention any specific school. I am however in UG at FSU... I feel like the fact I'm applying for law school at the same institution I'm in currently would pretty much explain why I want to attend the school. I want to send my app in soon, but the way my PS is written, it would flow very weirdly to add in a paragraph just explaining "why FSU" in it. Any advice? highest LSAT: 163, GPA: 3.96.
See you in the fall. Check LSN, you could be a convicted felon with a 2.5, a 161 or higher gets you in. 161 is tough though, did you study as much as you could have for that test? Its a beautiful GPA, I hate to see it handcuffed by that test score when a 170 would easily place you in T14. Regardless, enjoy the scholarship $$$, and congrats on a great GPA.

leidice

Bronze

Post by leidice » Sat Jan 08, 2011 11:16 pm

Cmart050 wrote:
leidice wrote:Did anyone cater their PS to FSU specifically? My essay is a little less than 2.5 pages, but doesn't mention any specific school. I am however in UG at FSU... I feel like the fact I'm applying for law school at the same institution I'm in currently would pretty much explain why I want to attend the school. I want to send my app in soon, but the way my PS is written, it would flow very weirdly to add in a paragraph just explaining "why FSU" in it. Any advice? highest LSAT: 163, GPA: 3.9*.
See you in the fall. Check LSN, you could be a convicted felon with a 2.5, a 161 or higher gets you in. 161 is tough though, did you study as much as you could have for that test? Its a beautiful GPA, I hate to see it handcuffed by that test score when a 170 would easily place you in T14. Regardless, enjoy the scholarship $$$, and congrats on a great GPA.
Haha, well thank you. My LSAT score is actually my third attempt at the test. I had some anxiety issues to battle, where I had been PT around 168. I guess I'll just submit my universal PS and see where it takes me!
Last edited by leidice on Tue Jan 11, 2011 8:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Cmart050

New

Post by Cmart050 » Sat Jan 08, 2011 11:22 pm

leidice wrote:
Cmart050 wrote:
leidice wrote:Did anyone cater their PS to FSU specifically? My essay is a little less than 2.5 pages, but doesn't mention any specific school. I am however in UG at FSU... I feel like the fact I'm applying for law school at the same institution I'm in currently would pretty much explain why I want to attend the school. I want to send my app in soon, but the way my PS is written, it would flow very weirdly to add in a paragraph just explaining "why FSU" in it. Any advice? highest LSAT: 163, GPA: 3.96.
Haha, well thank you. My LSAT score is actually my third attempt at the test. I had some anxiety issues to battle, where I had been PT around 168. I guess I'll just submit my universal PS and see where it takes me!
You got zero to worry about. You could submit a personal statement detailing your love of underwater basket weaving and what will happen is they see your LSAT, mark accept, see your GPA, offer you money, and call it a day. Do you have a general idea of the apartment prices up in Tallahassee? Feel free to PM me to keep the topic clean.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”