FSU c/o2014 Applicants! Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
last.chance

New

Re: FSU c/o2014 Applicants!

Post by last.chance » Wed Mar 02, 2011 5:07 pm

pinkcamellia wrote:
last.chance wrote:http://www.law.fsu.edu/academic_program ... gement.pdf <---someone asked abt Sports Law.
I hate to sound ignorant, but what exactly would one do in Sports Law?
Sports agent or front office jobs in professional sports organization would be the goal.

Mattfl88

Bronze

Post by Mattfl88 » Wed Mar 02, 2011 5:26 pm

Sandro wrote:
last.chance wrote:hotel recommendations?
Doubletree, bid like 45
How does the whole bidding this work? You pay in advance right? Do you get to choose the hotel or is it automatic based upon your bid?

Sandro

Gold

Post by Sandro » Wed Mar 02, 2011 5:27 pm

Mattfl88 wrote:
Sandro wrote:
Doubletree, bid like 45
How does the whole bidding this work? You pay in advance right? Do you get to choose the hotel or is it automatic based upon your bid?
Priceline.com lets you select the area and what stars you want to bid on. Look them up beforehand so you have a rough idea of their prices and bid 40-50% lower.

LSATmakesMeNeurotic

Silver

Post by LSATmakesMeNeurotic » Wed Mar 02, 2011 5:50 pm

Hey Sandro, is FSU still in the running for you?

Also everyone, I just went to UF today and now I have a very difficult decision to make because I love both schools. If anyone here has legitimately researched both schools and can give me some input (via PM so the board isn't transformed into a UF v. FSU board), I would greatly appreciate it.

Timmah621

New

Post by Timmah621 » Wed Mar 02, 2011 6:08 pm

last.chance wrote:
pinkcamellia wrote:
last.chance wrote:http://www.law.fsu.edu/academic_program ... gement.pdf <---someone asked abt Sports Law.
I hate to sound ignorant, but what exactly would one do in Sports Law?
Sports agent or front office jobs in professional sports organization would be the goal.
You do not want to go to law school and focus on sports law. Plain and simple, it is a waste of time and money, and it will not help one bit at getting you a job in sports. If you are looking at the agent route, then you would want to get a clear understanding of the following areas: corporate law, tax law, employment law, intellectual properties, negotiations and contracts, these areas of law will benefit your client the most. If you are looking at the front office route, then you would focus mainly on tax, employment and corporate law, these are the areas of law that would be most beneficial to an organization/business. Either route you choose to go, sports law is not the answer for your studies, as these courses focus heavily on collective bargaining agreements that will most likely be outdated by the time you reach the level of employment where you would be referring to these cba's (such as negotiating a contract for a client as an agent or dealing with an injury/payment dispute in a front office position).

The sports industry is never going to be about what you know, it is always going to be about who you know. One can possess a vast amount of knowledge in sports law, but it will never help you get a job. Therefore, it is pointless to focus your studies in law school on sports law. If you want to work in the sports industry you should focus on making networking connections and getting an internship within the industry to get your foot in the door. Focus on one of the areas of law I mentioned above that will be beneficial to your employer, keeping in mind that your employer is an athlete wanting you to manage their finances and negotiate their contract or an owner of a business. Many people forget that first and foremost, the sports industry is a business, just like any other industry. While sports law will play a part in the duties these employers require, it is going to be an extremely small part, and the majority of the work will revolve around general business aspects.

This is just my advice, take it with a grain of salt, I am a 0L as well. Many current law students may dispute what I have said about it being pointless to focus your studies on sports law if this is the field of law in which you wish to work. However, I am speaking only from my own experiences in the sports industry, not experiences in law school. I have interned with an NFL agency for a year (a well-known agency representing over 50 NFL athletes) and I am the president of the sports marketing association at my undergrad university. I may not know much about the law aspect yet, but I do know about this industry and what it takes to make it. If you have any questions about agencies or other sports industry related questions, feel free to shoot me a PM. Sports is my passion, and I am always down to talk about it.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

amarkonthedoor

New

Post by amarkonthedoor » Wed Mar 02, 2011 6:13 pm

Mattfl88 wrote:
Sandro wrote:
Doubletree, bid like 45
Most sites don't show you the hotel till after you bid. And you give them your credit card info in advance and it's either charged then or at check-in. I mean...usually!

FeelTheHeat

Platinum

Post by FeelTheHeat » Wed Mar 02, 2011 9:57 pm

Anyone watching the basketball game? About to beat the Tar Heels!!!

Edit: Annnndd ouch, that's a tough loss lol

limelightwave

New

Post by limelightwave » Wed Mar 02, 2011 10:13 pm

accepted on friday via phone call... waiting to see about scholly info...

tas817

New

Post by tas817 » Thu Mar 03, 2011 12:22 am

FeelTheHeat wrote:Anyone watching the basketball game? About to beat the Tar Heels!!!

The only negative about going to FSU would be dealing with by best friends constant bragging about basketball wins (Duke alum) :evil: . I guess I can always take revenge during football season. :twisted:

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

leidice

Bronze

Post by leidice » Thu Mar 03, 2011 12:49 am

tas817 wrote:
FeelTheHeat wrote:Anyone watching the basketball game? About to beat the Tar Heels!!!

The only negative about going to FSU would be dealing with by best friends constant bragging about basketball wins (Duke alum) :evil: . I guess I can always take revenge during football season. :twisted:
Fsu did beat Duke once this season! (basketball)

limelightwave

New

Post by limelightwave » Fri Mar 04, 2011 10:52 pm

Did y'all get scholarship info with acceptance letters or did it come later?

FeelTheHeat

Platinum

Post by FeelTheHeat » Fri Mar 04, 2011 10:56 pm

Later. You should get a form to fill out via e-mail.

Skipper2014

New

Post by Skipper2014 » Sat Mar 05, 2011 12:55 am

So I went complete on Monday (way to be last minute, I know) and got accepted by phone call today. Stoked! 163/3.7 -- what do we think are the chances for financial aid?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

leidice

Bronze

Post by leidice » Sat Mar 05, 2011 2:11 am

Skipper2014 wrote:So I went complete on Monday (way to be last minute, I know) and got accepted by phone call today. Stoked! 163/3.7 -- what do we think are the chances for financial aid?
You have pretty good chances of good money. I'd say maybe 10k per year... I had 163/3.9x with 75% tuition scholly.

LSATmakesMeNeurotic

Silver

Post by LSATmakesMeNeurotic » Sat Mar 05, 2011 2:02 pm

I got 24k total and have 164/3.6, so you should definitely get money, although I don't know if they have to wait until after April 1 now or if they still have some left.

Mattfl88

Bronze

Post by Mattfl88 » Sat Mar 05, 2011 2:40 pm

Are those of you that received money out of state or in state? FSU would seal the deal for me if I could get even like 5K.

LSATmakesMeNeurotic

Silver

Post by LSATmakesMeNeurotic » Sat Mar 05, 2011 2:54 pm

Mattfl88 wrote:Are those of you that received money out of state or in state? FSU would seal the deal for me if I could get even like 5K.
I'm in-state.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

FeelTheHeat

Platinum

Post by FeelTheHeat » Sat Mar 05, 2011 3:58 pm

I'm in-state. FSU is pretty damn generous, so best of luck.

pinkcamellia

Silver

Post by pinkcamellia » Sat Mar 05, 2011 4:29 pm

Mattfl88 wrote:Are those of you that received money out of state or in state? FSU would seal the deal for me if I could get even like 5K.
+1

last.chance

New

Post by last.chance » Sat Mar 05, 2011 6:10 pm

Just finalized my travel arrangements for the ASD on the 25th. CAN'T WAIT.

I'm out of state, and got money @mattfl88.

Mattfl88

Bronze

Post by Mattfl88 » Sat Mar 05, 2011 9:09 pm

last.chance wrote:Just finalized my travel arrangements for the ASD on the 25th. CAN'T WAIT.

Congrats on the scholarship!

I'll be attending as well on the 25th. Where you staying?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

last.chance

New

Post by last.chance » Sat Mar 05, 2011 9:23 pm

Mattfl88 wrote:
last.chance wrote:Just finalized my travel arrangements for the ASD on the 25th. CAN'T WAIT.

Congrats on the scholarship!

I'll be attending as well on the 25th. Where you staying?
Thanks! I will be at the Days Inn -- University Center. You?

LSATmakesMeNeurotic

Silver

Post by LSATmakesMeNeurotic » Sun Mar 06, 2011 1:56 pm

Does anyone know about the area south of campus around FAMU? I've had a couple of people tell me it's a "rough" area.

leidice

Bronze

Post by leidice » Sun Mar 06, 2011 3:19 pm

LSATmakesMeNeurotic wrote:Does anyone know about the area south of campus around FAMU? I've had a couple of people tell me it's a "rough" area.
Are you talking about housing? Do not live there.

If you don't want the apts close to the law school, check out houses down Thomasville or across Franklin downtown, there are cute little homes that I think are pretty decently priced. Some homes down Hartsfield, near Tharpe can be good too, as they are more residential.

amniwi

New

Post by amniwi » Sun Mar 06, 2011 3:37 pm

I saw some people worried about bringing people to ASD. I went last year with a current 1L, and many people brought significant others and friends, though parents were not so frequent. Just FYI.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”