FSU c/o2014 Applicants! Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
mteevin

Bronze

Re: FSU c/o2014 Applicants!

Post by mteevin » Mon Jan 31, 2011 3:02 pm

EDIT:

feeltheheat correctly pointed out that this post made me sound like kind of a jerk, so I'm going to try this again:

it seems crazy to me how long some people's applications are under review -- i've waited two days and i feel like that's plenty of time. my application was 12 pages + a CAS report. what can possibly take MONTHS to review? what are adcoms hoping will happen by putting off the review of applications for so long?
Last edited by mteevin on Mon Jan 31, 2011 3:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

FeelTheHeat

Platinum

Post by FeelTheHeat » Mon Jan 31, 2011 3:09 pm

mteevin wrote:i've got a good feeling about today. maybe a few of us who went UR late last week will hear this afternoon. i know i'm impatient but i'm just not sure what exactly takes so long on evaluating an application. once you're
'under review' it seems like it should be a relatively easy process -- especially for a school trying to raise medians.
I get that you have great numbers, but you do know there are people that have been under review for months, right?

Cool Brees

New

Post by Cool Brees » Mon Jan 31, 2011 3:37 pm

mteevin, if you don't mind me asking, how/ why did you choose FSU? Was FSU your backup plan? And with your numbers, did you consider UF at all?

Sandro

Gold

Post by Sandro » Mon Jan 31, 2011 3:58 pm

I don't agree with complaining about being UR for 2 days, but you might have a point on schools holding onto applications for months. Its pretty much February, March is most schools ASW's with april deposit deadlines - does UF/FSU have anything to gain by holding apps until mid/late Feb/march ? Believe it or not people don't go all gung ho into planning for law schools they haven't gotten into.

mteevin

Bronze

Post by mteevin » Mon Jan 31, 2011 4:00 pm

I'm most likely going to FSU for a few reasons.

The primary reason is financial. As a FL resident, I can either get tuition cheap at worst or scholly money at best. I'm honestly not interested in a career in biglaw, so with an expected starting salary below 6 figures, massive debt didn't seem like a prudent move. i went ED at UVA, but after getting dinged, i rethought my priorities.

I've applied to UF, but I like FSU much more for a number of reasons. It's nearly half the size of Levin which is appealing to me. I'm interested in policy work, so Tallahassee is an ideal location for me. I didn't want to clerk at the Alachua county courthouse at UF. Placement, from speaking to attorneys in central Florida (where i want to practice) is about equal between UF/FSU. It's all about class ranking. Also, as numerous others have attested on these boards, FSU has a much more personal touch to the admissions process and to the law school in general, from my experiences visiting both.

Basically it boils down to money, and the fact that FSU is the best personal fit for me in the state.
Last edited by mteevin on Mon Jan 31, 2011 4:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Barbie

Gold

Post by Barbie » Mon Jan 31, 2011 4:00 pm

Sandro wrote:I don't agree with complaining about being UR for 2 days, but you might have a point on schools holding onto applications for months. Its pretty much February, March is most schools ASW's with april deposit deadlines - does UF/FSU have anything to gain by holding apps until mid/late Feb/march ? Believe it or not people don't go all gung ho into planning for law schools they haven't gotten into.
Well, considering admitted scholars day is in like 3 weeks.. I would assume theyd want people who will be getting $$ to attend and thus be accepted by then.

mteevin

Bronze

Post by mteevin » Mon Jan 31, 2011 4:01 pm

Sandro wrote:I don't agree with complaining about being UR for 2 days, but you might have a point on schools holding onto applications for months. Its pretty much February, March is most schools ASW's with april deposit deadlines - does UF/FSU have anything to gain by holding apps until mid/late Feb/march ? Believe it or not people don't go all gung ho into planning for law schools they haven't gotten into.
that's what i was trying to get at initially -- cui bono? it just seems that both schools and applicants are getting a raw deal by holding apps forever.

Barbie

Gold

Post by Barbie » Mon Jan 31, 2011 4:02 pm

mteevin wrote:Ii'm most likely going to FSU for a few reasons.

The primary reason is financial. As a FL resident, I can either get tuition cheap at worst or scholly money at best. I'm honestly not interested in a career in biglaw, so with an expected starting salary below 6 figures, massive debt didn't seem like a prudent move. i went ED at UVA, but after getting dinged, i rethought my priorities.

I've applied to UF, but I like FSU much more for a number of reasons. It's nearly half the size of Levin which is appealing to me. I'm interested in policy work, so Tallahassee is an ideal location for me. I didn't want to clerk at the Alachua county courthouse at UF. Placement, from speaking to attorneys in central Florida (where i want to practice) is about equal between UF/FSU. It's all about class ranking. Also, as numerous others have attested on these boards, FSU has a much more personal touch to the admissions process and to the law school in general, from my experiences visiting both.

Basically it boils down to money, and the fact that FSU is the best personal fit for me in the state.
As the person who began both the UF and FSU thread, I've been considering making a final UF/FSU showdown thread and seeing where people will go, and why (for helpful reasons of course, since many of us including myself are inclined to choose between the two).

mteevin

Bronze

Post by mteevin » Mon Jan 31, 2011 4:06 pm

Barbie wrote:
As the person who began both the UF and FSU thread, I've been considering making a final UF/FSU showdown thread and seeing where people will go, and why (for helpful reasons of course, since many of us including myself are inclined to choose between the two).
just out of curiosity, are you leaning any particular way at the moment?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

FeelTheHeat

Platinum

Post by FeelTheHeat » Mon Jan 31, 2011 4:09 pm

Barbie wrote:
I'll see you in Tallahassee :) I'm really looking forward to ASD. From what I have gathered in extensive research on these boards, FSU seems to place a premium on keeping students sane with some sort of social life throughout law school. There are obviously many other factors, but that coupled with their personalized admissions process (calls, letters, scholarships, travel stipends, etc.) give me a LOT better vibe than Gunnerville, who sends me admissions newsletters saying it is important for me to apply to other schools.

FeelTheHeat

Platinum

Post by FeelTheHeat » Mon Jan 31, 2011 4:11 pm

mteevin wrote:
Barbie wrote:
just out of curiosity, are you leaning any particular way at the moment?
That's a dangerous question sir lol. I think he has a pretty large thread going on in "Choosing a Law School" that actually has some very good insight into the differences between UF and FSU. I'm VERY surprised at the outpouring of support throughout the thread (not in the poll, but I feel like many who voted did not read her situation at all).

mteevin

Bronze

Post by mteevin » Mon Jan 31, 2011 4:13 pm

FeelTheHeat wrote:
Barbie wrote:
I'll see you in Tallahassee :) I'm really looking forward to ASD. From what I have gathered in extensive research on these boards, FSU seems to place a premium on keeping students sane with some sort of social life throughout law school. There are obviously many other factors, but that coupled with their personalized admissions process (calls, letters, scholarships, travel stipends, etc.) give me a LOT better vibe than Gunnerville, who sends me admissions newsletters saying it is important for me to apply to other schools.
Glad you mentioned that e-mail. I honestly found it a little tasteless. They're either acting snobbish, or insulting your intelligence. Neither seemed very becoming.

Barbie

Gold

Post by Barbie » Mon Jan 31, 2011 4:13 pm

Well, I didn't get the travel stipend nor the email from UF telling me to apply to other schools, haha. FSU has offered me the nice scholarship, which I really appreciate. I'm still on the fence, and it depends a LOT on if my fiance can break into the MBA program at FSU, and how much we can stomach Tallahassee (everytime we've been up there, we've left early because we hated it so much. admittedly this was in the realm of undergraduates). I called about a travel stipend and us in-staters will be offered them after the out-of-staters deadlines pass and they see how many of them utilized the $$.

Feel the Heat- I am a *SHE!* (come on, Barbie...)

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

gov

Bronze

Post by gov » Mon Jan 31, 2011 4:20 pm

Barbie wrote:Well, I didn't get the travel stipend nor the email from UF telling me to apply to other schools, haha. FSU has offered me the nice scholarship, which I really appreciate. I'm still on the fence, and it depends a LOT on if my fiance can break into the MBA program at FSU, and how much we can stomach Tallahassee (everytime we've been up there, we've left early because we hated it so much. admittedly this was in the realm of undergraduates). I called about a travel stipend and us in-staters will be offered them after the out-of-staters deadlines pass and they see how many of them utilized the $$.

Tally really isn't that bad. What were you guys up here for/stay?? If you live in a nice area, that's what really makes the difference.

FeelTheHeat

Platinum

Post by FeelTheHeat » Mon Jan 31, 2011 4:20 pm

Barbie wrote:Well, I didn't get the travel stipend nor the email from UF telling me to apply to other schools, haha. FSU has offered me the nice scholarship, which I really appreciate. I'm still on the fence, and it depends a LOT on if my fiance can break into the MBA program at FSU, and how much we can stomach Tallahassee (everytime we've been up there, we've left early because we hated it so much. admittedly this was in the realm of undergraduates). I called about a travel stipend and us in-staters will be offered them after the out-of-staters deadlines pass and they see how many of them utilized the $$.

Ouch. One of these days I'm gonna have to start proofreading things before I click post lol. I hope to get a chance to talk about my scholarship at FSU, getting a third year at $10,000 would pretty much cement my attendance, even over Emory or UF.

Edit: I got the "her" correct in my previous post, so I believe its simply a case of my ring finger experiencing temporary aversion to the letter "s".
Last edited by FeelTheHeat on Mon Jan 31, 2011 4:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mteevin

Bronze

Post by mteevin » Mon Jan 31, 2011 4:20 pm

barbie --

i've read a number of posts about your misgivings regarding tallahassee - my best advice to you would be to give it a chance. football weekends are not a fair representation of a year-round atmosphere. that fact, coupled with the somewhat out of the way location of the law school means the scene could be more to your liking now.

Trinity11

New

Post by Trinity11 » Mon Jan 31, 2011 4:30 pm

mteevin wrote:barbie --

i've read a number of posts about your misgivings regarding tallahassee - my best advice to you would be to give it a chance. football weekends are not a fair representation of a year-round atmosphere. that fact, coupled with the somewhat out of the way location of the law school means the scene could be more to your liking now.
This is true. I am at FSU for undergrad, and it is very far from the stadium. Flow from the football games doesn't get anywhere near the law school.

However, when I was at UF touring, I spoke with students and they said the stadium is right next to the law school & a lot of "overflow" from the game gets close to the law school.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Barbie

Gold

Post by Barbie » Mon Jan 31, 2011 4:37 pm

Trinity11 wrote:

This is true. I am at FSU for undergrad, and it is very far from the stadium. Flow from the football games doesn't get anywhere near the law school.

However, when I was at UF touring, I spoke with students and they said the stadium is right next to the law school & a lot of "overflow" from the game gets close to the law school.
Ahh yes, I admittedly hate college football :oops: :oops: :oops: . I'm def giving it a try, and going up there for Admitted Scholars Day. I'm hoping that I can get some type of travel stipend and thus a hotel room before and after so I can get a feel for the place.

Any FSUers that can let me know a neighborhood I can peek at housing prices yall think I would like? I don't mind travelling to and from school, so long as I can live in a nice neighborhood with a big yard for all my furry babies :D

FeelTheHeat

Platinum

Post by FeelTheHeat » Mon Jan 31, 2011 4:40 pm

Barbie wrote:
Any FSUers that can let me know a neighborhood I can peek at housing prices yall think I would like? I don't mind travelling to and from school, so long as I can live in a nice neighborhood with a big yard for all my furry babies :D
I would very much like someone to respond to this. Thanks to the stipend I will be staying up Thursday and Friday night and would love to spend some of my free time visiting complexes I am interested in. I don't mind roommates at all and being able to ride a bike to class would be a WIN after filling up my gas tank 1-2 times a week getting to FIU.

Trinity11

New

Post by Trinity11 » Mon Jan 31, 2011 4:43 pm

Barbie wrote:
Trinity11 wrote:

Ahh yes, I admittedly hate college football :oops: :oops: :oops: . I'm def giving it a try, and going up there for Admitted Scholars Day. I'm hoping that I can get some type of travel stipend and thus a hotel room before and after so I can get a feel for the place.

Oh I completely despise college football as well (and most sports for that matter). Love working out, just not football or watching sports haha. I live in a very "college" place now, so I can think and get back to you. I would search house rentals or townhomes in google to find places. Better to live in the residential areas where college students do not flock.
Last edited by Trinity11 on Mon Jan 31, 2011 4:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

gov

Bronze

Post by gov » Mon Jan 31, 2011 4:44 pm

Barbie wrote:
Trinity11 wrote:

Killearn is a nice area [prob 15-20 min driving]. Closer to campus you can look at places off of Thomasville too.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Barbie

Gold

Post by Barbie » Mon Jan 31, 2011 4:50 pm

Thanks gov :D

FeeltheHeat- let me know if you find any deals for hotels, you and I are practically twins: same plans for ASD, same scholarship and same hopes for them to extend it <3 hehe

gov

Bronze

Post by gov » Mon Jan 31, 2011 4:52 pm

Barbie wrote:Thanks gov :D

FeeltheHeat- let me know if you find any deals for hotels, you and I are practically twins: same plans for ASD, same scholarship and same hopes for them to extend it <3 hehe
Stay in a hotel on Appalachee. Stuff on Tennessee is groaty, albeit cheaper.

mteevin

Bronze

Post by mteevin » Mon Jan 31, 2011 5:08 pm

looking like no one on TLS heard from tally today -- perhaps tomorrow. more than anything i'm dying to see what kind of scholarship money i could potentially be looking at.

Barbie

Gold

Post by Barbie » Mon Jan 31, 2011 5:22 pm

Not sure if I already asked this, but I dont remember what it is... what is FSUs curve???? I know UFs is @ 3.15 and ILL is @ 3.2.. but I've heard FSUs is tight... any insight? :D

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”