FSU c/o2014 Applicants! Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
Barbie

Gold

Re: FSU c/o2014 Applicants!

Post by Barbie » Mon Nov 08, 2010 5:41 pm

minuit wrote:so as i was browsing the UF and FSU law sites today, i noticed that FSU's 25/75 LSAT is 161/164 and UF's is 160/164 with both medians at 162. very interesting...
haha yep. I would wager UF has a higher GPA average though?

minuit

Silver

Post by minuit » Mon Nov 08, 2010 5:45 pm

Barbie wrote:
minuit wrote:so as i was browsing the UF and FSU law sites today, i noticed that FSU's 25/75 LSAT is 161/164 and UF's is 160/164 with both medians at 162. very interesting...
yup!! just did a little more digging. median at UF is 3.67 and FSU is 3.52

Barbie

Gold

Post by Barbie » Mon Nov 08, 2010 5:49 pm

minuit wrote:
Barbie wrote:
yup!! just did a little more digging. median at UF is 3.67 and FSU is 3.52
I've always stood by the idea that FSU cares more about LSAT, and UF about GPA. BUT, I think that UF is starting to favor LSAT more than before (comparing last year to the year prior) if I remember my research correctly...

whereto4law

New

Post by whereto4law » Mon Nov 08, 2010 6:25 pm

Sean Bateman, thanks for the info! What were your numbers and how much scholarship money were you offered? $$$ had to be the #1 factor in choosing FSU over UF I would think.

Sean Bateman

Bronze

Post by Sean Bateman » Mon Nov 08, 2010 8:03 pm

whereto4law wrote:Sean Bateman, thanks for the info! What were your numbers and how much scholarship money were you offered? $$$ had to be the #1 factor in choosing FSU over UF I would think.
Not gonna lie, when I got the money I was completely swayed. Having said that, even without the money, I would have gone FSU. That's just my personal preference.

Regarding my scholarship, I was a 3.4/165 (If FSU takes your Major GPA, which I NEVER heard until reading this thread, I was a 4.0/165) and I am receiving 6k/semester w/ no GPA stipulation. I don't know exactly but I think that is about 80% tuition with the in state rates.

For those who asked how long it took to hear about $$$: I applied a week or two after new years, and was accepted exactly two weeks later. I was contacted via e-mail about a scholarship on March 31st. So even with the amount of money they gave me, it was about two months before I heard anything about the scholarship!

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Barbie

Gold

Post by Barbie » Mon Nov 08, 2010 8:10 pm

Sean Bateman wrote:
whereto4law wrote:Sean Bateman, thanks for the info! What were your numbers and how much scholarship money were you offered? $$$ had to be the #1 factor in choosing FSU over UF I would think.
Not gonna lie, when I got the money I was completely swayed. Having said that, even without the money, I would have gone FSU. That's just my personal preference.

Regarding my scholarship, I was a 3.4/165 (If FSU takes your Major GPA, which I NEVER heard until reading this thread, I was a 4.0/165) and I am receiving 6k/semester w/ no GPA stipulation. I don't know exactly but I think that is about 80% tuition with the in state rates.

For those who asked how long it took to hear about $$$: I applied a week or two after new years, and was accepted exactly two weeks later. I was contacted via e-mail about a scholarship on March 31st. So even with the amount of money they gave me, it was about two months before I heard anything about the scholarship!

Not major GPA-- degree GPA (only if it is higher than your cumulative).

Sandro

Gold

Post by Sandro » Mon Nov 08, 2010 8:35 pm

Barbie wrote:
Sean Bateman wrote:

Whats the diff between degree and cumulative?

Sean Bateman

Bronze

Post by Sean Bateman » Mon Nov 08, 2010 8:56 pm

Sandro777 wrote:
Barbie wrote:
Sean Bateman wrote:

I would imagine degree is only classes you took towards your degree. So now I ask, what is the difference between degree and major GPA? Not that it matters anymore, just curious...

Whats the diff between degree and cumulative?

Barbie

Gold

Post by Barbie » Mon Nov 08, 2010 9:19 pm

Some people (like me) have gone to 2+ universities. I went to another university for the first 2 years.. and the one I'm at for the last 2. My last 2 years combined make my "degree GPA" or "degree granting (institution) GPA"... cumulative would include grades from all 4 years.

This is probably more commonly used for people who went to community college first, also.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Sean Bateman

Bronze

Post by Sean Bateman » Mon Nov 08, 2010 9:36 pm

Barbie wrote:Some people (like me) have gone to 2+ universities. I went to another university for the first 2 years.. and the one I'm at for the last 2. My last 2 years combined make my "degree GPA" or "degree granting (institution) GPA"... cumulative would include grades from all 4 years.

This is probably more commonly used for people who went to community college first, also.
Gotcha. I actually did my first 3 semesters at FIU in Miami and then finished at UCF, and my UCF GPA was probably slightly higher than the cumulative one (Oh freshman year). Good to know

Barbie

Gold

Post by Barbie » Mon Nov 08, 2010 9:45 pm

Sean Bateman wrote:
Barbie wrote:Some people (like me) have gone to 2+ universities. I went to another university for the first 2 years.. and the one I'm at for the last 2. My last 2 years combined make my "degree GPA" or "degree granting (institution) GPA"... cumulative would include grades from all 4 years.

Gotcha. I actually did my first 3 semesters at FIU in Miami and then finished at UCF, and my UCF GPA was probably slightly higher than the cumulative one (Oh freshman year). Good to know
:) yep
U. Colorado and U. Denver have "Degree GPA" written into their admissions formulas, but apparently that is not true. FSU does take the higher though. It says it your degree GPA (if you have one) right on your academic summary report next to your cumulative GPA!

Sean Bateman

Bronze

Post by Sean Bateman » Fri Nov 12, 2010 10:19 pm

if the school hasn't pestered you to join already:
http://www.facebook.com/permalink.php?s ... 50659&ap=1

SixStrings11

Bronze

Post by SixStrings11 » Sun Nov 14, 2010 12:41 am

Should I assume if my application was complete as of 9/22 and there's been zero movement, that my odds aren't looking too good? I mean my LSAT is definitely on the lower side for FSU.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

ns77770

Bronze

Post by ns77770 » Sun Nov 14, 2010 1:23 am

SixStrings11 wrote:Should I assume if my application was complete as of 9/22 and there's been zero movement, that my odds aren't looking too good? I mean my LSAT is definitely on the lower side for FSU.
Wondering this too, am in the same situation with a low LSAT.

Barbie

Gold

Post by Barbie » Sun Nov 14, 2010 4:45 am

I don't think it means you are out. I think FSU has always favored high LSATs over high GPAs, but it doesn't mean they don't end up accepting the other. They look at applications based on "strength"-- I wouldn't be surprised if to them that meant LSAT score. Your apps may not have been read yet.

SixStrings11

Bronze

Post by SixStrings11 » Sun Nov 14, 2010 11:27 am

Barbie wrote:I don't think it means you are out. I think FSU has always favored high LSATs over high GPAs, but it doesn't mean they don't end up accepting the other. They look at applications based on "strength"-- I wouldn't be surprised if to them that meant LSAT score. Your apps may not have been read yet.
Yea, guess I'll just have to keep waiting patiently. Thanks for the positive outlook.

jr1886

Bronze

Post by jr1886 » Sun Nov 14, 2010 12:43 pm

Barbie, my status reads " Application complete."Do you know what's next? Thanks

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Barbie

Gold

Post by Barbie » Sun Nov 14, 2010 12:56 pm

jr1886 wrote:Barbie, my status reads " Application complete."Do you know what's next? Thanks
Typically going Under Review, but my application never did. That may or may not be because it was so early in the cycle. So either you'll go under review, or that's the final step!

jr1886

Bronze

Post by jr1886 » Sun Nov 14, 2010 1:51 pm

Barbie wrote:
jr1886 wrote:Barbie, my status reads " Application complete."Do you know what's next? Thanks
Typically going Under Review, but my application never did. That may or may not be because it was so early in the cycle. So either you'll go under review, or that's the final step!
Ok thank you. I hope i get to hear from them soon. I need one acceptance in the bank

minuit

Silver

Post by minuit » Sun Nov 14, 2010 2:02 pm

jr1886 wrote:
Barbie wrote:
Ok thank you. I hope i get to hear from them soon. I need one acceptance in the bank
JR i love the one liner in your tls box :lol:

also, just backing up what barbie said - normally you go "under review" but there have been a few instances where people stayed at complete and then got the call.

jr1886

Bronze

Post by jr1886 » Sun Nov 14, 2010 2:30 pm

minuit wrote:
jr1886 wrote:
Barbie wrote:
JR i love the one liner in your tls box :lol:

also, just backing up what barbie said - normally you go "under review" but there have been a few instances where people stayed at complete and then got the call.
Haha i'm glad the quip is serving its purpose: to make TLS-ers laugh.
I hope you guys are right. Maybe I can expect a call this week.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

MattThiessen

Bronze

Post by MattThiessen » Sun Nov 14, 2010 9:19 pm

Accepted on Friday (11/12/10) via phone. Sent in my application on Tuesday (11/09/10).

3.5 & two LSATs (higher one being 165). Applied last cycle and was accepted, but (obviously) did not attend.

Neo

Bronze

Post by Neo » Mon Nov 15, 2010 11:33 am

SixStrings11 wrote:Should I assume if my application was complete as of 9/22 and there's been zero movement, that my
odds aren't looking too good? I mean my LSAT is definitely on the lower side for FSU.

I am in the same boat (as you know). To be honest, FSU is being such an LSAT sucker it is ridiculous. On the plus side though, having a lower LSAT does not mean you are out of the game. I think they just hear back very late in the cycle. I know someone who got in with a lower LSAT score; however, they didn't hear back until around March I think. So I am hopeful that it doesn't mean we are rejected, just that it will be awhile...

Neo

Bronze

Post by Neo » Mon Nov 15, 2010 11:35 am

MattThiessen wrote:Accepted on Friday (11/12/10) via phone. Sent in my application on Tuesday (11/09/10).

3.5 & two LSATs (higher one being 165). Applied last cycle and was accepted, but (obviously) did not attend.

Case in point. It is really unbelievable how much emphasis they are putting on the LSAT just to catch up in the rankings. I don't even think they are looking at anything else right now ha ha.

Anyway, congratulations MattThiessen!

SixStrings11

Bronze

Post by SixStrings11 » Mon Nov 15, 2010 11:48 am

Neo wrote:
MattThiessen wrote:Accepted on Friday (11/12/10) via phone. Sent in my application on Tuesday (11/09/10).

Case in point. It is really unbelievable how much emphasis they are putting on the LSAT just to catch up in the rankings. I don't even think they are looking at anything else right now ha ha.

Anyway, congratulations MattThiessen!
Yea I'm pretty sure you're right. We'll just have to wait it out. Hopefully UF will at least get back to us soon. But I can see that one changing to "decision held" while everyone else starts getting "decision letter in transit" ... But I guess I expected this when I got my LSAT score back.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”