Pittsburgh 2011

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
rs2004

Re: Pittsburgh 2011

Postby rs2004 » Tue Feb 15, 2011 6:18 pm

HOPEFORCHANGE wrote:Yeah, according to that, never. You would have to literally defer your acceptance for a year, move to Pittsburgh right now, and then start in 2012. That's the only way unless I am reading something wrong.

i dont think a non-resident can expect residency status for 1L.
different story for 2L and 3L. if you lease an apartment in july 2011, get a PA drivers license, become a PA voter, pay PA taxes, (which if you get a scholarship you probably have to do) and are over 22, more than likely that you will be approved for in-state.

HOPEFORCHANGE

Postby HOPEFORCHANGE » Tue Feb 15, 2011 6:25 pm

Perhaps. I suppose you can try to appeal it the next year based domiciliary intention. I still wouldn't call it a guarantee, but if I'm accepted to Pitt, it's not something I personally have to worry about nor something I have had heard about anyone attempting. A

Anyway, has anyone gotten decisions yet?

Also, does Pitt jump you from "App Received" status to "In Review" status on the status checker, or do you have a status in between first? Meaning, right now I am in "App Received" status with my LORs showing, but no LSDAS reports, etc. Will I have an "App Complete" status next or will my next status be "In Review"

Thanks

BeerMe828

Postby BeerMe828 » Tue Feb 15, 2011 6:55 pm

HOPEFORCHANGE wrote:Perhaps. I suppose you can try to appeal it the next year based domiciliary intention. I still wouldn't call it a guarantee, but if I'm accepted to Pitt, it's not something I personally have to worry about nor something I have had heard about anyone attempting. A

Also, does Pitt jump you from "App Received" status to "In Review" status on the status checker, or do you have a status in between first? Meaning, right now I am in "App Received" status with my LORs showing, but no LSDAS reports, etc. Will I have an "App Complete" status next or will my next status be "In Review"

Thanks

I was marked complete from 12/8 until 1/19 (submitted it mid November)... still waiting to hear back from them. Hopefully in the next batch of acceptances (it's been almost two weeks... so maybe tomorrow? or Thurs? I hope?! sheesh...) I'd like to make a visit to PA, and Chicago this month so that I have time to make a second visit if need be before I make my decision! (Sorry... any more, every time I post on here its whining about not having heard yet lol)

karate1243

Postby karate1243 » Tue Feb 15, 2011 7:36 pm

BeerMe828 wrote:
HOPEFORCHANGE wrote:Perhaps. I suppose you can try to appeal it the next year based domiciliary intention. I still wouldn't call it a guarantee, but if I'm accepted to Pitt, it's not something I personally have to worry about nor something I have had heard about anyone attempting. A

Thanks

I was marked complete from 12/8 until 1/19 (submitted it mid November)... still waiting to hear back from them. Hopefully in the next batch of acceptances (it's been almost two weeks... so maybe tomorrow? or Thurs? I hope?! sheesh...) I'd like to make a visit to PA, and Chicago this month so that I have time to make a second visit if need be before I make my decision! (Sorry... any more, every time I post on here its whining about not having heard yet lol)

hey beerme, im in the same situation as you. Been in review since 1/20. Could you PM me your stats?

northwood

Postby northwood » Tue Feb 15, 2011 8:11 pm

i was in review from 12/8- heard my acceptance on 2/4- via status checker

HOPEFORCHANGE

Postby HOPEFORCHANGE » Tue Feb 15, 2011 8:16 pm

Thanks, I was wondering though if you go from "app received" status to "complete" status before going to "in review" status?

northwood

Postby northwood » Tue Feb 15, 2011 8:18 pm

i went app complete- in review- then it says accepeted on status

i was complete on 11/16=review 12/8 accepted 2/4 if you want the timeline

longhornlaw

Postby longhornlaw » Tue Feb 15, 2011 9:01 pm

deleted because I'm a dolt.
Last edited by longhornlaw on Tue Feb 15, 2011 10:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

HOPEFORCHANGE

Postby HOPEFORCHANGE » Tue Feb 15, 2011 9:02 pm

So it never said Status: "Application Received, " it was Status: "Application Complete" ?

northwood

Postby northwood » Tue Feb 15, 2011 9:03 pm

longhornlaw wrote:
northwood wrote:i went app complete- in review- then it says accepeted on status

i was complete on 11/16=review 12/8 accepted 2/4 if you want the timeline

Sweet jesus I've been sitting at complete since 11/16. Though to be honest, Texas is a huge reach for me.

you're in the wrong thread partner... this ones all about PA

HOPEFORCHANGE

Postby HOPEFORCHANGE » Tue Feb 15, 2011 9:09 pm

Well, I'm calling Pitt on Thursday because I don't know if they have everything and if it goes to voicemail as usual, I will leave them a message. They have a very nice program and if they reject me because they don't think I fit, fine, but it isn't going to be because I get called by them in June saying they never received everything or something and no more seats.

BeerMe828

Postby BeerMe828 » Tue Feb 15, 2011 9:57 pm

HOPEFORCHANGE wrote:Thanks, I was wondering though if you go from "app received" status to "complete" status before going to "in review" status?

Yeah... srry if I didn't make that clear... I was "complete" on 12/8, and then "under review" on 1/19... but there were the holidays in there, so I'm sure that delayed things a little

BeerMe828

Postby BeerMe828 » Tue Feb 15, 2011 9:58 pm

karate1243 wrote:
BeerMe828 wrote:

Thanks

hey beerme, im in the same situation as you. Been in review since 1/20. Could you PM me your stats?

159, 3.45... I've posted it before, so if Pitt is trolling the forums (instead of reviewing my damn ap!) there's no use getting all private now haha.

I should add, Pitt, if you are trolling the forums, my username is not because I'm an alcoholic... I just like beer... I can't wait to get my hands on some delicious Yuengling at Pitt... (hopefully!)
Last edited by BeerMe828 on Tue Feb 15, 2011 10:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

karate1243

Postby karate1243 » Tue Feb 15, 2011 10:08 pm

BeerMe828 wrote:
karate1243 wrote:
BeerMe828 wrote:

Thanks

159, 3.45... I've posted it before, so if Pitt is trolling the forums (instead of reviewing my damn ap!) there's no use getting all private now haha.

162, 3.20. similar stats

HOPEFORCHANGE

Postby HOPEFORCHANGE » Tue Feb 15, 2011 10:17 pm

I wonder if Pitt/other schools do look at these forums.

BeerMe828

Postby BeerMe828 » Tue Feb 15, 2011 10:34 pm

HOPEFORCHANGE wrote:I wonder if Pitt/other schools do look at these forums.

haha me too... idk though. I've heard that people fudge their numbers on LSN sometimes to be less recognizable...I just can't buy into that. Forums like these are designed to help us get an idea of where we stand, and if nothing else, to be a cathartic release when we're stressing for months waiting to hear back from schools. If something we say here somehow hurts our chances of being accepted, than thats pretty pathetic

OGR3

Postby OGR3 » Tue Feb 15, 2011 10:35 pm

If they do, I doubt they care that much. I know Pitt's admissions process is through committee, so even if one person in admissions tracked this, I doubt there's much they could do to speed up the process for TLS applicants. And I HIGHLY doubt they'd try to out people's apps based on numbers.

pjo

Postby pjo » Tue Feb 15, 2011 10:44 pm

BeerMe828 wrote:

haha me too... idk though. I've heard that people fudge their numbers on LSN sometimes to be less recognizable...I just can't buy into that. Forums like these are designed to help us get an idea of where we stand, and if nothing else, to be a cathartic release when we're stressing for months waiting to hear back from schools. If something we say here somehow hurts our chances of being accepted, than thats pretty pathetic

FWIW, when I visited GMU I met with the the assistant admissions director. As we were talking she mentioned about this one account she saw on LSN where someone posted they had been admitted to GMU with a 155 and a 3.4 or something like that. She was just like "yeah that's a made up account because no one with less than a 156 or other was admitted" (don't remember if she said 156, just remeber she gave a number). Point is, I was really surprised when she said that because I too didn't think adcomm ppl went on LSN or sites like TLS. Then again, when I was at GWU something like that came up again and the woman I met with in admissions there had never heard of LSN...and she graduated from the law school 3 yrs ago versus the woman from GMU who is like in her mid-30's or so, go figure.

BeerMe828

Postby BeerMe828 » Tue Feb 15, 2011 10:49 pm

OGR3 wrote:

If they do, I doubt they care that much. I know Pitt's admissions process is through committee, so even if one person in admissions tracked this, I doubt there's much they could do to speed up the process for TLS applicants. And I HIGHLY doubt they'd try to out people's apps based on numbers.

Any idea how thorough their decision process goes? I know there are a large number of applicants to Pitt, but when I hear back from PSU, Case, Loyola Chicago, OSU... etc - big schools - or at least lots of applicants - MONTHS before Pitt, I start to wonder if they're just really thorough, or just ridiculously slow.

HOPEFORCHANGE

Postby HOPEFORCHANGE » Tue Feb 15, 2011 10:59 pm

I think people who don't have exceptional scores/numbers in comparison with their regular numbers just get all bunched together for a March decision if they apply say November through sometime in January. I don't know though, it's a guess.

akak179

Postby akak179 » Tue Feb 15, 2011 11:58 pm

have been under "application received" since 1/23...is this normal or is something wrong?

HOPEFORCHANGE

Postby HOPEFORCHANGE » Wed Feb 16, 2011 12:09 am

Same here, so I guess it's normal for now.

voltage88

Postby voltage88 » Wed Feb 16, 2011 5:10 am

WTF Pitt! So effin slowwwwww

kk19131

Postby kk19131 » Wed Feb 16, 2011 1:50 pm

I'm thinking about emailing and asking for more money... but I don't want to sound like an ass by doing so.

HeavenWood

Postby HeavenWood » Wed Feb 16, 2011 1:51 pm

kk19131 wrote:I'm thinking about emailing and asking for more money... but I don't want to sound like an ass by doing so.

Didn't you already get a full ride + stipend?

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”