Pittsburgh 2011

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
HOPEFORCHANGE

Re: Pittsburgh 2011

Postby HOPEFORCHANGE » Tue Feb 08, 2011 10:31 pm

Mine too. I'd just love to go...but I don't know. What happens, happens.

BeerMe828

Postby BeerMe828 » Tue Feb 08, 2011 11:39 pm

northwood wrote:
BeerMe828 wrote:
HOPEFORCHANGE wrote:Hi, I had to apply late because I had a family crisis this year. I got an e-mail from them for the status checker the day after I sent my app (January 20th), but I haven't gone into review yet and I don't even know if I'm complete. I call their office to see if they have everything and no one answers. Well, I know they're busy. Anyway, it's almost three weeks since I applied and I am STILL not complete or in review. I was thinking it was because I was going to take the Feb LSAT but I decided not to because of illness and will send them a letter explaining this. I think this may have made them hold my file because my LSAT score is their median and they were waiting for the Feb LSAT since it says I am signed up. Does anyone think it is strange that I am still not complete via status checker? All it says is my app is received and they have my three LORs. I mean, is this typical if you apply late in the cycle and how long did it take you January app senders to be complete or in review?

Lol not to be a douche or anything but better sit back and get ready for a nice wait... unless you're an URM or something exciting... I applied early November. Went complete 12/8. Still no response... 159/3.5... so right about the medium. It's frustrating... but now that they're done with early decisions, I'd like to think things will be speeding up. Good luck to you!

You should be going into review soon. I applied in november, went into review on 12/8 and heard last thursday ( got in with the same numbers as you). I think you are in the next batch to go under review- and will prolly hear by mid march ( ahtough this is just a guess). THis is the high point of the application cycle, so they are going to be really busy.

If you sent it in 1/20,and had shedulded to take the feb lsat- if you had not cancelled ( and gotten a refund) they are going to assume you are going to take it. You should email them to make sure they know that you aren't taking it. Double check with LSAC to make sure that everything has been sent. Sometimes it takes a week or 2 for the school to ger the lsac application info from the site. If its there, you have to be patient

Yeah I forgot to say I went UR as of 1/20... and good lord would I love to hear soon... they seem to come out with a new batch once a week on weds, thurs, or friday... so I'm keeping my fingers crossed for tomorrow... hopefully not getting myself all worked up for no news, or worse, a rejection lol

HOPEFORCHANGE

Postby HOPEFORCHANGE » Wed Feb 09, 2011 9:40 am

BeerMe - Let us know...we will keep our fingers crossed.

Also, for anyone who gets in from now on, it would be great to know at least where you were on their scale (e.g. median GPA, median LSAT). Thanks.

kkklick

Postby kkklick » Wed Feb 09, 2011 11:24 am

Not impressed with U Pitts so far, status still app received. My GPA is close to 75th and my LSAT is above their 75th, are they normally slow?

BarbellDreams

Postby BarbellDreams » Wed Feb 09, 2011 11:41 am

BeerMe828 wrote:
HOPEFORCHANGE wrote:Hi, I had to apply late because I had a family crisis this year. I got an e-mail from them for the status checker the day after I sent my app (January 20th), but I haven't gone into review yet and I don't even know if I'm complete. I call their office to see if they have everything and no one answers. Well, I know they're busy. Anyway, it's almost three weeks since I applied and I am STILL not complete or in review. I was thinking it was because I was going to take the Feb LSAT but I decided not to because of illness and will send them a letter explaining this. I think this may have made them hold my file because my LSAT score is their median and they were waiting for the Feb LSAT since it says I am signed up. Does anyone think it is strange that I am still not complete via status checker? All it says is my app is received and they have my three LORs. I mean, is this typical if you apply late in the cycle and how long did it take you January app senders to be complete or in review?

Lol not to be a douche or anything but better sit back and get ready for a nice wait... unless you're an URM or something exciting... I applied early November. Went complete 12/8. Still no response... 159/3.5... so right about the medium. It's frustrating... but now that they're done with early decisions, I'd like to think things will be speeding up. Good luck to you!

I got in last year with slightly lower stats than that, decent softs but nothing too amazing outside of mock trial. Good letters of Rec. Assuming your other parts of the app are strong you should be fine, I went complete right around the exact same date you did.

northwood

Postby northwood » Wed Feb 09, 2011 1:18 pm

did those that got accepted get a packet of informaion, orjust a small white envelope??

ran12

Postby ran12 » Wed Feb 09, 2011 1:19 pm

northwood wrote:did those that got accepted get a packet of informaion, orjust a small white envelope??

My original mailing got lost in the mail so they sent it out again and it was just a letter size envelope

JDHopeful

Postby JDHopeful » Wed Feb 09, 2011 1:26 pm

northwood wrote:did those that got accepted get a packet of informaion, orjust a small white envelope??

Small white envelope.

All scholly info is included with that.

gokickrocks

Postby gokickrocks » Wed Feb 09, 2011 5:13 pm

JDHopeful wrote:

Small white envelope.

All scholly info is included with that.

And a money clip!

They forgot to attach my scholly info, but they were able to email it to me upon request.

adiaz43

Postby adiaz43 » Wed Feb 09, 2011 5:19 pm

i was accepted via status tracker on the 3rd but haven't received even an email yet. is that normal? considering i live down the street from the school i thought i would have gotten something by now. good luck to those of you still waiting.

bport hopeful

Postby bport hopeful » Wed Feb 09, 2011 5:22 pm

adiaz43 wrote:i was accepted via status tracker on the 3rd but haven't received even an email yet. is that normal? considering i live down the street from the school i thought i would have gotten something by now. good luck to those of you still waiting.

Does proximity effect email?

LSATclincher

Postby LSATclincher » Wed Feb 09, 2011 7:29 pm

Have we run down the pro's cons of Temple vs. Pitt (assuming in-state tuition) in this thread yet?

fundamentallybroken

Postby fundamentallybroken » Wed Feb 09, 2011 7:30 pm

bport hopeful wrote:
adiaz43 wrote:i was accepted via status tracker on the 3rd but haven't received even an email yet. is that normal? considering i live down the street from the school i thought i would have gotten something by now. good luck to those of you still waiting.

I have some theories that it does. My brother the big, smart "computer scientist" tells me it doesn't, but whatever. Like he knows more about email than me.

aidez-moi

Postby aidez-moi » Wed Feb 09, 2011 7:41 pm

LSATclincher wrote:Have we run down the pro's cons of Temple vs. Pitt (assuming in-state tuition) in this thread yet?

I think the pros and cons of each are fairly obvious. Temple places into Philly, Pitt places into Pittsburgh. It's probably somewhat easier (not that anything is easy anymore) to find a job coming out of Temple than it is coming out of Pitt. Plus, Temple is cheaper. But if you don't want Philly, don't go to Temple.

kk19131

Postby kk19131 » Wed Feb 09, 2011 9:14 pm

LSATclincher wrote:Have we run down the pro's cons of Temple vs. Pitt (assuming in-state tuition) in this thread yet?

For Philly - Temple

For Pittsburgh/Western Pa - Pitt

It's pretty much that simple

...although Temple is a few thousand dollars cheaper.

Chouchous

Postby Chouchous » Wed Feb 09, 2011 10:40 pm

Pitt does not send emails when you get accepted. You just receive a small white envelope with the acceptance letter.

LeDique

Postby LeDique » Wed Feb 09, 2011 10:41 pm

fundamentallybroken wrote:
bport hopeful wrote:

I have some theories that it does. My brother the big, smart "computer scientist" tells me it doesn't, but whatever. Like he knows more about email than me.

Well it does..by milliseconds..

Dr. Review

Postby Dr. Review » Thu Feb 10, 2011 11:46 am

You guys are really active. The Pitt thread last year only got to 39 pages.

northwood

Postby northwood » Thu Feb 10, 2011 11:47 am

does anyone know how willing pitt is to negotiate? I am out of state, and would go there in a second if i could get in state money- but im trying to figure out how i should go about doing this?

Kinderby

Postby Kinderby » Thu Feb 10, 2011 11:52 am

north, I don't know if you've answered this (feel free to link to a post, if you have) but why do you want Pitt so much, being out-of-state? I mean, I want an OOS school as well, but I'm always curious when people want particular schools. Family in the area or something?

I really wish I had researched more before applying to schools.

BarbellDreams

Postby BarbellDreams » Thu Feb 10, 2011 11:54 am

Pitt is easy to negotiate with if you have some blue chips to negotiate with. Use your Syracuse scholly and write a great LOCI explaining how you really want Pitt for reasons A, B and C but are realy concerned with finances and have this scholly from Syracuse that is tempting but you still really want to go to Pitt if you could get at least a little help. Pitt is superior to Syracuse so they certainly wont match your scholly, but since you have a large scholly Pitt may give you 5 or 8k in negotiations if they still have money left.

longhornlaw

Postby longhornlaw » Thu Feb 10, 2011 12:51 pm

Just withdrew. Good luck to anybody on the WL--hope my spot goes to a fellow TLSer.

dreakol

Postby dreakol » Thu Feb 10, 2011 2:50 pm

to further the negation conversation...

they sent my request to the committee last week and asked if there was any information I would like to share with them so it seems like they are at least open to the idea.

I sent them scholarship info from tier one schools plus peer schools (temple) and a paragraph on why Pitt is my first choice if a financially sound option

fwiw- well above both 75ths.

how long should I wait to hear from them?

ran12

Postby ran12 » Thu Feb 10, 2011 6:04 pm

dreakol wrote:to further the negation conversation...

they sent my request to the committee last week and asked if there was any information I would like to share with them so it seems like they are at least open to the idea.

I sent them scholarship info from tier one schools plus peer schools (temple) and a paragraph on why Pitt is my first choice if a financially sound option

fwiw- well above both 75ths.

how long should I wait to hear from them?

April. I got the same email when I asked a couple weeks ago for more money and the email said could be as late as April.

DJsm20

Postby DJsm20 » Thu Feb 10, 2011 7:48 pm

also accepted on 1/3 just got the envelope in the mail today.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”