Pittsburgh 2011

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
User avatar
rs2004
Posts: 536
Joined: Wed Dec 15, 2010 3:10 pm

Re: Pittsburgh 2011

Postby rs2004 » Fri Jan 28, 2011 4:36 pm

SherlockHolmes wrote:Under review since 1/19.


+1

User avatar
northwood
Posts: 4872
Joined: Fri May 14, 2010 7:29 pm

Re: Pittsburgh 2011

Postby northwood » Fri Jan 28, 2011 4:37 pm

you will wait a while. stil ur as of 12/8

karate1243
Posts: 25
Joined: Wed Jan 26, 2011 6:53 pm

Re: Pittsburgh 2011

Postby karate1243 » Fri Jan 28, 2011 4:38 pm

rs2004 wrote:
SherlockHolmes wrote:Under review since 1/19.


+1


+1

LSATclincher
Posts: 476
Joined: Mon Nov 30, 2009 12:09 pm

Re: Pittsburgh 2011

Postby LSATclincher » Fri Jan 28, 2011 4:39 pm

northwood wrote:you will wait a while. stil ur as of 12/8


I saw you in the Camden thread. Where do you want to go? I saw your profile. Why isn't Temple an option?

User avatar
northwood
Posts: 4872
Joined: Fri May 14, 2010 7:29 pm

Re: Pittsburgh 2011

Postby northwood » Fri Jan 28, 2011 4:41 pm

i want to stay in nystate.
realized that i want ny when I was filling out the temple app. and decided not to write their special essay.

LSATclincher
Posts: 476
Joined: Mon Nov 30, 2009 12:09 pm

Re: Pittsburgh 2011

Postby LSATclincher » Fri Jan 28, 2011 4:49 pm

northwood wrote:i want to stay in nystate.
realized that i want ny when I was filling out the temple app. and decided not to write their special essay.


That's what happened with me and UCONN. They wanted actual police records of my criminal history (it's not even excessive), and I decided not to go through the trouble since I really couldn't see myself up there.

User avatar
SherlockHolmes
Posts: 327
Joined: Tue Jan 11, 2011 2:47 pm

Re: Pittsburgh 2011

Postby SherlockHolmes » Fri Jan 28, 2011 5:01 pm

northwood wrote:you will wait a while. stil ur as of 12/8


I figured as much. Oh well.

NicRen
Posts: 32
Joined: Thu Feb 18, 2010 1:54 pm

Re: Pittsburgh 2011

Postby NicRen » Sat Jan 29, 2011 1:49 pm

Received my acceptance letter today. No mention of scholarship information. Does this mean they expect me to pay sticker if I don't get the public interest scholarship?

ran12
Posts: 1003
Joined: Sun Oct 31, 2010 4:28 pm

Re: Pittsburgh 2011

Postby ran12 » Sat Jan 29, 2011 1:52 pm

NicRen wrote:Received my acceptance letter today. No mention of scholarship information. Does this mean they expect me to pay sticker if I don't get the public interest scholarship?


Probably

aidez-moi
Posts: 183
Joined: Wed Oct 06, 2010 1:33 pm

Re: Pittsburgh 2011

Postby aidez-moi » Sat Jan 29, 2011 5:12 pm

NicRen wrote:Received my acceptance letter today. No mention of scholarship information. Does this mean they expect me to pay sticker if I don't get the public interest scholarship?


Same here. Kind of surprised considering I was .04 GPA-wise away from the automatic scholarship...

Damn freshman year. Oh well.

User avatar
adiaz43
Posts: 26
Joined: Fri Dec 24, 2010 6:30 pm

Re: Pittsburgh 2011

Postby adiaz43 » Sat Jan 29, 2011 5:18 pm

aidez-moi wrote:
NicRen wrote:Received my acceptance letter today. No mention of scholarship information. Does this mean they expect me to pay sticker if I don't get the public interest scholarship?


Same here. Kind of surprised considering I was .04 GPA-wise away from the automatic scholarship...

Damn freshman year. Oh well.



when did you guys go complete/UR? thanks, and congrats on the acceptances.

User avatar
JDHopeful
Posts: 232
Joined: Thu Jan 03, 2008 4:20 pm

Re: Pittsburgh 2011

Postby JDHopeful » Sat Jan 29, 2011 5:21 pm

What's this "automatic" scholarship you reference above? Is this the Dean's Scholarship? What are the actual requirements for this?

Also, could someone explain the details of the Public Interest Scholarship? What does this one mean?

Thanks!

aidez-moi
Posts: 183
Joined: Wed Oct 06, 2010 1:33 pm

Re: Pittsburgh 2011

Postby aidez-moi » Sat Jan 29, 2011 5:42 pm

JDHopeful wrote:What's this "automatic" scholarship you reference above? Is this the Dean's Scholarship? What are the actual requirements for this?

Also, could someone explain the details of the Public Interest Scholarship? What does this one mean?

Thanks!


Yeah I was referencing the Dean's Scholarship:
Pitt Law wrote:Students admitted prior to February 1st earning a high LSAT score of 161 or better and an undergraduate cumulative grade point average of 3.4 (on a 4.0 scale) are guaranteed the Dean’s Scholarship.


I just re-read the letter and I got the scholarship waitlist that someone else mentioned earlier - so not completely left out.

I went complete sometime in November and was part of that huge bloc that was under review from 12/8. Good luck to those still waiting

User avatar
JDHopeful
Posts: 232
Joined: Thu Jan 03, 2008 4:20 pm

Re: Pittsburgh 2011

Postby JDHopeful » Sat Jan 29, 2011 5:56 pm

aidez-moi wrote:
JDHopeful wrote:What's this "automatic" scholarship you reference above? Is this the Dean's Scholarship? What are the actual requirements for this?

Also, could someone explain the details of the Public Interest Scholarship? What does this one mean?

Thanks!


Yeah I was referencing the Dean's Scholarship:
Pitt Law wrote:Students admitted prior to February 1st earning a high LSAT score of 161 or better and an undergraduate cumulative grade point average of 3.4 (on a 4.0 scale) are guaranteed the Dean’s Scholarship.


I just re-read the letter and I got the scholarship waitlist that someone else mentioned earlier - so not completely left out.

I went complete sometime in November and was part of that huge bloc that was under review from 12/8. Good luck to those still waiting


Yea, I was under review til 12/8. Admitted some point last week.

Thanks for the insight!

NicRen
Posts: 32
Joined: Thu Feb 18, 2010 1:54 pm

Re: Pittsburgh 2011

Postby NicRen » Sat Jan 29, 2011 7:07 pm

JDHopeful wrote:What's this "automatic" scholarship you reference above? Is this the Dean's Scholarship? What are the actual requirements for this?

Also, could someone explain the details of the Public Interest Scholarship? What does this one mean?

Thanks!


I only took a cursory look at the things necessary for the public interest scholarship, but it looks like it is for people who indicated on their application that they are interested in public interest law. It looks like you have to write an essay detailing your commitment to public interest, sign a set of statements prepared by Pitt that swear to your commitment to public interest, and submit two relevant letters of recommendation. It doesn't appear to be an all or nothing scholarship for a set amount of money.

I am going to start the process of applying for it tomorrow or on Monday and will let my fellow TLSers know how it goes.

SrLaw
Posts: 588
Joined: Mon Dec 27, 2010 8:10 pm

Re: Pittsburgh 2011

Postby SrLaw » Sat Jan 29, 2011 7:32 pm

IN - 167/3.4

User avatar
klmnumbers
Posts: 54
Joined: Mon Dec 29, 2008 7:48 pm

Re: Pittsburgh 2011

Postby klmnumbers » Sat Jan 29, 2011 9:26 pm

Good luck to all the applicants. I'm a Pitt 2L myself, and I really like it here. I often bitch and gripe about things, but it's only because I love.

Also, if you come to Pitt, you'll be spoiled with our newly renovated basement. You get to miss out on all the "fun" construction we've been dealing with this whole year. When you lot get here, it'll be all mod and cute.

Pitt is a great city, and most of the professors are really great. I'm thrilled with my decision to move here.

User avatar
klmnumbers
Posts: 54
Joined: Mon Dec 29, 2008 7:48 pm

Re: Pittsburgh 2011

Postby klmnumbers » Sat Jan 29, 2011 9:30 pm

gokickrocks wrote:
OGR3 wrote:Seriously, everybody who didn't get financial aid initially should contact the financial aid office. I went from $0 to over $10,000 per year with just a few emails.


I did this and was told that they forgot to include my scholarship info in the letter. Just got an e-mail telling me that I'm getting $15k. Hearing this started my Friday on a great note.


Yeah. They're not great about negotiating scholarships, but they generally bite if you talk to them. I spoke with Fin Aid in person when I was visiting schools, and they promised nothing. After a couple weeks and some e-mails back and forth, I talked my way into a little money as well.

Don't be afraid to ask!

lawschoolnonsense
Posts: 56
Joined: Mon Nov 15, 2010 9:10 pm

Re: Pittsburgh 2011

Postby lawschoolnonsense » Sat Jan 29, 2011 9:36 pm

klmnumbers wrote:
gokickrocks wrote:
OGR3 wrote:Seriously, everybody who didn't get financial aid initially should contact the financial aid office. I went from $0 to over $10,000 per year with just a few emails.


I did this and was told that they forgot to include my scholarship info in the letter. Just got an e-mail telling me that I'm getting $15k. Hearing this started my Friday on a great note.


Yeah. They're not great about negotiating scholarships, but they generally bite if you talk to them. I spoke with Fin Aid in person when I was visiting schools, and they promised nothing. After a couple weeks and some e-mails back and forth, I talked my way into a little money as well.

Don't be afraid to ask!


How are job prospects looking for Pitt grads?

User avatar
klmnumbers
Posts: 54
Joined: Mon Dec 29, 2008 7:48 pm

Re: Pittsburgh 2011

Postby klmnumbers » Sat Jan 29, 2011 9:42 pm

lawschoolnonsense wrote:
klmnumbers wrote:
gokickrocks wrote:
OGR3 wrote:Seriously, everybody who didn't get financial aid initially should contact the financial aid office. I went from $0 to over $10,000 per year with just a few emails.


I did this and was told that they forgot to include my scholarship info in the letter. Just got an e-mail telling me that I'm getting $15k. Hearing this started my Friday on a great note.


Yeah. They're not great about negotiating scholarships, but they generally bite if you talk to them. I spoke with Fin Aid in person when I was visiting schools, and they promised nothing. After a couple weeks and some e-mails back and forth, I talked my way into a little money as well.

Don't be afraid to ask!


How are job prospects looking for Pitt grads?


Mm I don't know that many 3Ls, so I can't say for certain regarding graduation. My own personal experience has been pretty positive though. The firm I worked for during my first summer basically told me that if I don't find a job that I really want (because they know I want to work in the government), they'll give me an office and some work after graduation.

I know Pitt's CSO has generally gotten flack in the past. However, we just replaced the head of the department, and Don seems much more energetic. In this year alone, I feel like CSO has been a much bigger presence in terms of throwing mixers and panels with local practitioners. They're also holding a panel I think this week regarding non-traditional law school employment.

lawschoolnonsense
Posts: 56
Joined: Mon Nov 15, 2010 9:10 pm

Re: Pittsburgh 2011

Postby lawschoolnonsense » Sat Jan 29, 2011 9:44 pm

That's good to hear.

User avatar
kk19131
Posts: 1054
Joined: Tue Jun 08, 2010 7:08 pm

Re: Pittsburgh 2011

Postby kk19131 » Sun Jan 30, 2011 2:40 am

klmnumbers wrote:
Mm I don't know that many 3Ls, so I can't say for certain regarding graduation. My own personal experience has been pretty positive though. The firm I worked for during my first summer basically told me that if I don't find a job that I really want (because they know I want to work in the government), they'll give me an office and some work after graduation.

I know Pitt's CSO has generally gotten flack in the past. However, we just replaced the head of the department, and Don seems much more energetic. In this year alone, I feel like CSO has been a much bigger presence in terms of throwing mixers and panels with local practitioners. They're also holding a panel I think this week regarding non-traditional law school employment.



"non-traditional law school employment"?

McDonalds?

User avatar
kk19131
Posts: 1054
Joined: Tue Jun 08, 2010 7:08 pm

Re: Pittsburgh 2011

Postby kk19131 » Sun Jan 30, 2011 11:44 am

New website!

User avatar
The Gentleman
Posts: 670
Joined: Fri Jul 02, 2010 12:25 am

Re: Pittsburgh 2011

Postby The Gentleman » Sun Jan 30, 2011 12:03 pm

Received my acceptance letter and scholly info yesterday. Since I already have a better offer from a school I would prefer over Pitt, I'll be withdrawing Monday. Good luck to you folks! I hope my scholly/acceptance gets passed on to one of you!

User avatar
Kinderby
Posts: 426
Joined: Tue Jan 11, 2011 4:45 pm

Re: Pittsburgh 2011

Postby Kinderby » Sun Jan 30, 2011 12:11 pm

Yup, new website, but now when I try to check my status, it goes to the L&C (or whatever school I last checked) status page. ??!




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], dojodawg, josh9308, taxman14 and 5 guests