Pittsburgh 2011

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
HeavenWood

Re: Re:

Postby HeavenWood » Thu Jan 13, 2011 2:49 pm

OGR3 wrote:Pitt tends to spread the love with lots of scholarships under $15,000. Once again, I would imagine that money would be greatly appreciated by others in this thread.

Yeah, Pitt isn't very big on full rides. But you invested some time and money into this application, so why not wait and see what Pitt offers you first? You can always withdraw a little later.

BarbellDreams

Re: Pittsburgh 2011

Postby BarbellDreams » Thu Jan 13, 2011 7:32 pm

Spinozist21 wrote:
HeavenWood wrote:Are you familiar with Pittsburgh? If not, I would strongly suggest visiting here a few days before/after the ASW. I love the Burgh, but it's definitely not for everybody. A Pitt degree is very regional. Make sure you like Western PA before committing.

You can break out of the Pittsburgh area though if you work hard enough.

This isn't easy to do, but Pitt has slowly been growing a network into DC and NY. With that said anything under top 10% without connections isn't likely to get you there, but the network is building. I wouldn't call Pitt "very regional" but it really only has pull in Pittsburgh and to a MUCH lesser degree in DC, NY and Cleveland. Philly is overrun with other schools that are based out of there so you'll have a hard time there, and unless you have some connections its an uphill battle without good grades. But truthfully thats a statement that can be made about just about any school outside the T30 if not T14.

kehoema2

Re: Re:

Postby kehoema2 » Thu Jan 13, 2011 8:39 pm

[/quote]I would humbly request that you just withdraw your application. Based on the fervor of some in this thread, it would mean a lot to them. I'm a 1L, so it doesn't really affect me, but it could weigh in on how quickly someone else gets accepted.

Also, you're not going to get any money out of the schools you listed if you present a Pitt scholarship. Pitt tends to spread the love with lots of scholarships under $15,000. Once again, I would imagine that money would be greatly appreciated by others in this thread.[/quote]

Ah, good point I had forgotten about Pitt till seeing this thread earlier. I knew Pitt didn't hand out a ton of huge scholarships and I wasn't going to try to use it for leverage. My apologies I am withdrawing, hadn't really put thought into it before. Sorry about that.

Good luck to everyone else.

kk19131

Postby kk19131 » Thu Jan 13, 2011 8:52 pm

I've never even been to Pittsburgh... :lol:

LSATclincher

Postby LSATclincher » Thu Jan 13, 2011 9:37 pm

"application rec'd 1/7/11"

I guess this is gonna take a while....

LeDique

Postby LeDique » Fri Jan 14, 2011 11:42 am

Dear Pitt,
I applied at the beginning of November. My numbers are well above your 75ths. Is this really that hard of a decision to think about?
Thanks.

gokickrocks

Postby gokickrocks » Fri Jan 14, 2011 2:45 pm

HeavenWood wrote:Are you familiar with Pittsburgh? If not, I would strongly suggest visiting here a few days before/after the ASW. I love the Burgh, but it's definitely not for everybody. A Pitt degree is very regional. Make sure you like Western PA before committing.

Not familiar with Pittsburgh at all. I have been to Philly and enjoyed it on the most part. How different is Pittsburgh from Philly? I do plan on visiting a few days before the ASW to get a better feel for the place.

kk19131

Postby kk19131 » Fri Jan 14, 2011 2:47 pm

I can't imagine that Pittsburgh is anything like Philly.

HeavenWood

Postby HeavenWood » Fri Jan 14, 2011 3:11 pm

gokickrocks wrote:

Not familiar with Pittsburgh at all. I have been to Philly and enjoyed it on the most part. How different is Pittsburgh from Philly? I do plan on visiting a few days before the ASW to get a better feel for the place.

Completely different. The two cities aren't even in "direct competition." Pittsburgh more closely compares to Cleveland, Rochester, Buffalo, etc. than Philadelphia.

Some key distinctions:

Pittsburgh is much smaller. Downtown is less than a square mile. That being said, for a 300,000+ person city, Pittsburgh has a lot to offer: great, affordable housing stock; beautiful parks and recreation; a spirited nightlife [but unlike Center City, downtown is dead]; a vibrant and still growing arts scene; and loads of cultural facilities. This is relative to its size, of course. In absolute terms, Philly has Pittsburgh beat in all of these categories.

Pittsburgh people are much friendlier. Pittsburgh is the gateway to the Midwest. People take things a little bit slower here. Strangers are much more likely to smile and say hello on the street. In general, the Pittsburgh pedestrian culture is more "open" and "warm" than Mid-Atlantic Cities.

Pittsburgh is much less diverse. The city is about 2/3 white and 1/3 black, with just a smidgen of Asians and Latinos. Philadelphia has a much wider, more established, range of races and ethicities. Pittsburgh's neighborhoods are divided between white and black; Philly has white, black, Asian, and Puerto Rican enclaves, among many others.

Pittsburgh is still trying to shed its reliance on manufacturing. For the first time in 60 years, Philadelphia has gained population. Pittsburgh is still losing at a rapid rate. The white collar sector is quickly expanding; Pittsburgh is seeing tons of corporate growth. But remember that the Burgh was once a city of steel mills, most of which have gone belly up. Most of this migration is blue collar workers to the sunbelt. I would imagine that because of this corporate influx, once the economy straightens out, Pittsburgh will see some growth in the legal sector.

Pittsburgh's cost of living is amazing. An $800 1-bedroom luxury apartment in Pittsburgh's East End would go for over $1,300 in Center City. And it's not just housing that's cheap. Food (both groceries and restaurant) and recreation are as well. Pittsburgh's biggest draw is its low cost of living relative to its high quality of life. As a point in comparison, here's what a million dollar home looks like in Fox Chapel, one of Pittsburgh's (and America's) wealthiest suburbs:

http://www.zillow.com/homedetails/1602- ... 6415_zpid/

Here's what a million dollars get you in Lower Merion, Philly's wealthiest suburb:

http://www.zillow.com/homedetails/434-W ... 9020_zpid/

3/5 the square footage and less than 1/6 the land. Don't get me wrong, the Wynnewood house is beautiful. But it's clear who gets a better bang for their buck.

When you come for the ASW, you'll see for yourself. A lot of people fall in love with Pittsburgh, but some don't. Just make sure it's the right city for you!

jetergrl2ss

Postby jetergrl2ss » Fri Jan 14, 2011 3:14 pm

What a great response HeavenWood! Very informative :)

kk19131

Postby kk19131 » Fri Jan 14, 2011 3:27 pm

Philadelphia is quite dangerous. :lol:

Dr. Review

Postby Dr. Review » Fri Jan 14, 2011 3:31 pm

HeavenWood wrote:
Pittsburgh is much less diverse. The city is about 2/3 white and 1/3 black, with just a smidgen of Asians and Latinos. Philadelphia has a much wider, more established, range of races and ethicities. Pittsburgh's neighborhoods are divided between white and black; Philly has white, black, Asian, and Puerto Rican enclaves, among many others.

If you go here, you will spend most of your time in Shadyside, Squirrel Hill, and most importantly, Oakland. You will have no reason to believe that the bolded text is true. The building I live in is more asian than white, and anywhere near Carnegie Mellon is the same thing... and it's literally just down the street from Pitt.

HeavenWood

Postby HeavenWood » Fri Jan 14, 2011 3:32 pm

kk19131 wrote:Philadelphia is quite dangerous. :lol:

I think the big difference between the two cities is that Pittsburgh's suburbs are on the downturn, whereas the city is only getting better. Philly's suburbs are only getting better, but a lot of formerly nice inner-city residential areas (Bustleton, Mt. Airy, East Falls, etc.) are turning to shit.

LeDique

Postby LeDique » Fri Jan 14, 2011 3:35 pm

It's also worth noting that visiting and living in Pittsburgh are very different. Pittsburgh isn't really a city you visit for a few days and fall in love with.

HeavenWood

Postby HeavenWood » Fri Jan 14, 2011 3:35 pm

LeDique wrote:It's also worth noting that visiting and living in Pittsburgh are very different. Pittsburgh isn't really a city you visit for a few days and fall in love with.

This especially. Pittsburgh sucks as a tourist attraction, but does a great job as a long-term destination.

Dr. Review

Postby Dr. Review » Fri Jan 14, 2011 3:37 pm

LeDique wrote:It's also worth noting that visiting and living in Pittsburgh are very different. Pittsburgh isn't really a city you visit for a few days and fall in love with.

I knew I wanted to live in Pittsburgh the first time I left the hotel, heh. Though, to be fair, I had recently been to visit Indianapolis, one of my least favorite cities ever.

HeavenWood

Postby HeavenWood » Fri Jan 14, 2011 3:39 pm

Bedsole wrote:

I knew I wanted to live in Pittsburgh the first time I left the hotel, heh. Though, to be fair, I had recently been to visit Indianapolis, one of my least favorite cities ever.

I don't think it's hard to tell if Pittsburgh is the right place for you, but I do think you have to visit with the right expectations and attitude. The city isn't really meant for touristy things.

Dr. Review

Postby Dr. Review » Fri Jan 14, 2011 3:43 pm

HeavenWood wrote:
Bedsole wrote:

I don't think it's hard to tell if Pittsburgh is the right place for you, but I do think you have to visit with the right expectations and attitude. The city isn't really meant for touristy things.

I agree. Additionally, I think you need to make the visit happen some time after the snow melts. I came in April, which works

HeavenWood

Postby HeavenWood » Fri Jan 14, 2011 3:49 pm

Bedsole wrote:
HeavenWood wrote:
Bedsole wrote:

I agree. Additionally, I think you need to make the visit happen some time after the snow melts. I came in April, which works

As far as the cold goes, Pittsburgh isn't that bad. On an average day, it's only 5 degrees cooler here than in Philly. But because of the difference in elevation and latitude, the Burgh gets a lot more snow (40 inches vs. 20 inches). Still, if you're accustomed to places like Detroit, Chicago, Cleveland, and other northern Midwestern cities, the transition shouldn't be too much of a problem.

LeDique

Postby LeDique » Fri Jan 14, 2011 3:50 pm

HeavenWood wrote:
Bedsole wrote:

Yeah - this is more precisely what I meant.

jdhakert

Postby jdhakert » Fri Jan 14, 2011 3:55 pm

Is it worth it to get an MBA from Tepper as well as a Pitt JD? This was my original plan, and I'm still thinking that it would be the wise choice, but I just wanted some opinions of those who attend Pitt/ live in Pgh.

kk19131

Postby kk19131 » Fri Jan 14, 2011 4:40 pm

jdhakert wrote:Is it worth it to get an MBA from Tepper as well as a Pitt JD? This was my original plan, and I'm still thinking that it would be the wise choice, but I just wanted some opinions of those who attend Pitt/ live in Pgh.

It's not usually ever worth getting a jd/mba unless you plan to get a job that specifically would require you to have the combo.

Chouchous

Postby Chouchous » Fri Jan 14, 2011 4:47 pm

thank you for the information about the city HeavenWood. I'm seriously considering PittLaw and have never been to Pittsburgh. The way you described Pittsburgh just made it that much more attractive for me.

rs2004

Postby rs2004 » Fri Jan 14, 2011 4:48 pm

Chouchous wrote:thank you for the information about the city HeavenWood. I'm seriously considering PittLaw and have never been to Pittsburgh. The way you described Pittsburgh just made it that much more attractive for me.

+1

esp after life in NYC since birth, a lower COL would be just wonderful

HeavenWood

Postby HeavenWood » Fri Jan 14, 2011 4:49 pm

Chouchous wrote:thank you for the information about the city HeavenWood. I'm seriously considering PittLaw and have never been to Pittsburgh. The way you described Pittsburgh just made it that much more attractive for me.

Sure thing! FWIW, I'm from the Philly suburbs and am graduating from Pitt UG in the Spring. Although I'll be attending UPenn next fall, Pittsburgh is definitely on my list once OCI rolls around.

If anyone has any further questions, feel free to PM me.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”