Pittsburgh 2011

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
SrLaw

Re: Pittsburgh 2011

Postby SrLaw » Sun Jan 09, 2011 3:42 pm

lawschool12345 wrote:do you think it is too late to apply now,

158, 3.65, and what would my chances be to get in?

I am going to say you are in. I would not expect any $$, unfortunately.

kk19131

Postby kk19131 » Sun Jan 09, 2011 3:48 pm

You should be fine.

Are you a minority?

SrLaw

Postby SrLaw » Sun Jan 09, 2011 3:51 pm

kk19131 wrote:

You should be fine.

Are you a minority?

I just glanced at your profile and it seems Pitt has offered you the deal of the century. WEll played.

gokickrocks

Postby gokickrocks » Sun Jan 09, 2011 4:41 pm

aidez-moi wrote:
bport hopeful wrote:I would agree that Pitt>PSU. Pitt is atleast built into some kind of market, no matter how small. Though my 3.12 scares me, I think I have a decent addendum and also have a 166. Should I be scared?

Although you never know with this stuff, I wouldn't be too worried. If you look on law school numbers, Pitt has already admitted someone with a 159/2.95 and someone else with a 160/2.9.

Like the other poster said, in that range it most likely depends on the personal statement/recommendations. At least that's my best guess.

The bolded one is me haha. I'm still in shock that I got in. I really think it was the combination of work experience, applying early, and a pretty good personal + supplemental statement.

kk19131

Postby kk19131 » Sun Jan 09, 2011 4:44 pm

gokickrocks wrote:
aidez-moi wrote:
bport hopeful wrote:I would agree that Pitt>PSU. Pitt is atleast built into some kind of market, no matter how small. Though my 3.12 scares me, I think I have a decent addendum and also have a 166. Should I be scared?

Although you never know with this stuff, I wouldn't be too worried. If you look on law school numbers, Pitt has already admitted someone with a 159/2.95 and someone else with a 160/2.9.

Like the other poster said, in that range it most likely depends on the personal statement/recommendations. At least that's my best guess.

The bolded one is me haha. I'm still in shock that I got in. I really think it was the combination of work experience, applying early, and a pretty good personal + supplemental statement.

Did you get any money?

LSATclincher

Postby LSATclincher » Sun Jan 09, 2011 4:59 pm

Is this even worth it, or should I hope for Temple Part-Time (In state tuition)? I don't think I can afford to go full time considering I have a decent amount of Undergrad debt.

kk19131

Postby kk19131 » Sun Jan 09, 2011 5:01 pm

LSATclincher wrote:Is this even worth it, or should I hope for Temple Part-Time (In state tuition)? I don't think I can afford to go full time considering I have a decent amount of Undergrad debt.

Is there a question somewhere in here?

LSATclincher

Postby LSATclincher » Sun Jan 09, 2011 5:04 pm

I'm not sure if I'll get accepted Temple PT (my #'s say maybe; my work experience say yes). I should get accepted to Pitt. Is it even worth going to Pitt at in-state tuition (assuming I get no scholarship monies)? I have undergrad debt, and I don't think I can afford attending any school full time.

aidez-moi

Postby aidez-moi » Sun Jan 09, 2011 5:18 pm

LSATclincher wrote:I'm not sure if I'll get accepted Temple PT (my #'s say maybe; my work experience say yes). I should get accepted to Pitt. Is it even worth going to Pitt at in-state tuition (assuming I get no scholarship monies)? I have undergrad debt, and I don't think I can afford attending any school full time.

Is your question should you attend Pitt FT if you also get into Temple PT?

LSATclincher

Postby LSATclincher » Sun Jan 09, 2011 5:26 pm

Sorry. My question is whether or not Pitt is worth it? (Assuming I do not get into Temple PT.) I'd love to get into Temple PT, but it's truly 50/50.

OGR3

Postby OGR3 » Sun Jan 09, 2011 6:00 pm

LSATclincher wrote:Sorry. My question is whether or not Pitt is worth it? (Assuming I do not get into Temple PT.) I'd love to get into Temple PT, but it's truly 50/50.

Would you rather work in Pittsburgh or Philadelphia?

LSATclincher

Postby LSATclincher » Sun Jan 09, 2011 6:27 pm

I much rather work in Philly. But money is my #1 factor right now. I cannot afford Villanova or PSU. I don't want to live in Camden to obtain in-state tuition at Rutgers-C. Sure, the obvious answer is re-take the LSAT and apply in 2012, but I had to apply this cycle because my numbers are in range.

ach24

Postby ach24 » Sun Jan 09, 2011 6:40 pm

Last edited by ach24 on Fri Jul 31, 2015 10:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

HeavenWood

Postby HeavenWood » Sun Jan 09, 2011 6:41 pm

LSATclincher wrote:I much rather work in Philly. But money is my #1 factor right now. I cannot afford Villanova or PSU. I don't want to live in Camden to obtain in-state tuition at Rutgers-C. Sure, the obvious answer is re-take the LSAT and apply in 2012, but I had to apply this cycle because my numbers are in range.

If you want to work in Philly, forget about Pitt. Since money is a big concern, Temple sounds like the best option for you. If you don't get into Temple this year, retake and reapply for next cycle. A Pitt degree can bring you back to Philadelphia if you have strong ties to the region, but at Temple getting a Philadelphia-area job will be much less of a challenge (given that many Philly firms conduct OCI there, and you will have a much easier time networking with Philadelphia attorneys).

LSATclincher

Postby LSATclincher » Sun Jan 09, 2011 6:50 pm

HeavenWood wrote:
LSATclincher wrote:I much rather work in Philly. But money is my #1 factor right now. I cannot afford Villanova or PSU. I don't want to live in Camden to obtain in-state tuition at Rutgers-C. Sure, the obvious answer is re-take the LSAT and apply in 2012, but I had to apply this cycle because my numbers are in range.

If you want to work in Philly, forget about Pitt. Since money is a big concern, Temple sounds like the best option for you. If you don't get into Temple this year, retake and reapply for next cycle. A Pitt degree can bring you back to Philadelphia if you have strong ties to the region, but at Temple getting a Philadelphia-area job will be much less of a challenge (given that many Philly firms conduct OCI there, and you will have a much easier time networking with Philadelphia attorneys).

I think you're right. From doing a lot of research, I now realize the importance of experience before graduating law school. I can't afford to leave my legal job now. Only if I did not get into Temple, is Widener (Part-Time) even worth it with scholarship?

HeavenWood

Postby HeavenWood » Sun Jan 09, 2011 6:50 pm

LSATclincher wrote:
HeavenWood wrote:

I think you're right. From doing a lot of research, I now realize the importance of experience before graduating law school. I can't afford to leave my legal job now. Only if I did not get into Temple, is Widener (Part-Time) even worth it with scholarship?

I wouldn't say so. Temple grads having a hard enough time getting jobs. I would strongly advise against Widener.

brochocinco

Postby brochocinco » Sun Jan 09, 2011 8:40 pm

I would say you have an alright chance. I got in with 158 and 3.85 but that was early in the cycle. Your GPA is certainly good enough but it's a tough call. Definitely apply, at most you'll be out the application fee.

SrLaw

Postby SrLaw » Sun Jan 09, 2011 8:54 pm

Just a heads up. Pitt will give you a fee waiver if you ask them.

Compaq1984

Postby Compaq1984 » Mon Jan 10, 2011 1:36 am

brochocinco wrote:If there are any current students still hanging around, could you speak a little about employment prospects and OCI? I've been accepted and Pitt is definitely my #1 but I've been hearing shaky things about legal employment outside of the top schools. I'm very nervous about committing to X amount of debt only to have serious trouble finding a job.

Only a 1L so I cant speak much of summer work yet. We still dont have all our grades back so most still havent sent out all their resumes for summer work. Regardless, dont totally buy in to all the "TLS bs" that says basically its HYS or bust. Things in every legal market are bad right now but it is not impossible to find work after graduation. I have spoken with a few recent grads and they are all working and were not at the top of the class. However, do make sure that you are going to LS for the right reasons. For example, if you are going because you want to work Big Law and make $$$, then you will likely be disappointed ITE. But if your getting some $$$ from your school, budget wisely during school, and work hard for 3 years (not just grades but networking etc...), then LS is still a decent choice. LS is not a good choice (IMHO) if you are looking to "wait out" the bad economy or your going because you want to make $150k. Also, it is helpful to have some type of legal connections as a fall back but it is not necessary. GL w/ your decision...

kk19131

Postby kk19131 » Mon Jan 10, 2011 1:42 am

Compaq1984 wrote:
brochocinco wrote:If there are any current students still hanging around, could you speak a little about employment prospects and OCI? I've been accepted and Pitt is definitely my #1 but I've been hearing shaky things about legal employment outside of the top schools. I'm very nervous about committing to X amount of debt only to have serious trouble finding a job.

Only a 1L so I cant speak much of summer work yet. We still dont have all our grades back so most still havent sent out all their resumes for summer work. Regardless, dont totally buy in to all the "TLS bs" that says basically its HYS or bust. Things in every legal market are bad right now but it is not impossible to find work after graduation. I have spoken with a few recent grads and they are all working and were not at the top of the class. However, do make sure that you are going to LS for the right reasons. For example, if you are going because you want to work Big Law and make $$$, then you will likely be disappointed ITE. But if your getting some $$$ from your school, budget wisely during school, and work hard for 3 years (not just grades but networking etc...), then LS is still a decent choice. LS is not a good choice (IMHO) if you are looking to "wait out" the bad economy or your going because you want to make $150k. Also, it is helpful to have some type of legal connections as a fall back but it is not necessary. GL w/ your decision...

So, are the people at Pitt... smart?

OGR3

Postby OGR3 » Mon Jan 10, 2011 8:37 am

kk19131 wrote:
Compaq1984 wrote:

Compaq isn't.

In all seriousness, I'd say the majority of people at the school are very intelligent, but don't go in expecting a bunch of Yalies.

lawschool12345

Postby lawschool12345 » Mon Jan 10, 2011 9:31 am

brochocinco, thank you for your response, did you get any $$? feel free to message me if you would rather tell me that way

thank you again

brochocinco

Postby brochocinco » Mon Jan 10, 2011 10:38 am

lawschool12345 wrote:brochocinco, thank you for your response, did you get any $$? feel free to message me if you would rather tell me that way

thank you again

I got my mail held while I was away for the holidays so I don't know yet. Mail should come today so I'll post an update when I find out... Good luck!

Gemini

Postby Gemini » Mon Jan 10, 2011 11:22 am

kk19131 wrote:
Compaq1984 wrote:

What exactly does "smart" mean? Are you judging it only on LSAT scores?
I hate it when people ask this question...

Spinozist21

Postby Spinozist21 » Mon Jan 10, 2011 12:23 pm

Gemini Hopeful wrote:
kk19131 wrote:
Compaq1984 wrote:

What exactly does "smart" mean? Are you judging it only on LSAT scores?
I hate it when people ask this question...

KK seems to be a relatively large d-bag as it is with all his self-importance, snobberish posts so I am most likely right to assume his question actually is: "Are people at Pitt as smart as me?" And such a question really doesn't deserve an answer now does it.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”