Pittsburgh 2011

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
User avatar
pjo
Posts: 610
Joined: Tue Nov 11, 2008 10:14 pm

Re: Pittsburgh 2011

Postby pjo » Fri Nov 05, 2010 8:43 pm

kk19131 wrote:I applied in September... and after the initial message from the school... nothing else.

I'm not a big fan of schools that don't have status checkers...

But, if I get into Pitt I will most certainly go for free...


you most certainly won't. lol. They don't give full rides. Depending on if you're in state your probably lookig at 12k/yr in scholarship. I knew a guy that was able to haggle with them to increase it to 16k/yr and he had some great offers elsewhere (he actually ended up at UVA). If you're OOS, you're looking at 14-16k/yr max. You will not get a full ride, they don't care what your numbers are.

User avatar
OGR3
Posts: 881
Joined: Wed Dec 23, 2009 6:56 pm

Re: Pittsburgh 2011

Postby OGR3 » Fri Nov 05, 2010 8:52 pm

pjo wrote:
kk19131 wrote:I applied in September... and after the initial message from the school... nothing else.

I'm not a big fan of schools that don't have status checkers...

But, if I get into Pitt I will most certainly go for free...


you most certainly won't. lol. They don't give full rides. Depending on if you're in state your probably lookig at 12k/yr in scholarship. I knew a guy that was able to haggle with them to increase it to 16k/yr and he had some great offers elsewhere (he actually ended up at UVA). If you're OOS, you're looking at 14-16k/yr max. You will not get a full ride, they don't care what your numbers are.


It's true. They like to spread the love. Nonetheless, if Pittsburgh is where you'd like to practice, it's still a good deal.

User avatar
Barbie
Posts: 3746
Joined: Mon Jun 07, 2010 8:51 pm

Re: Pittsburgh 2011

Postby Barbie » Fri Nov 05, 2010 8:54 pm

How hard is it to get in state tuition after the first year? And assuming you do, your scholarship drops?

User avatar
pjo
Posts: 610
Joined: Tue Nov 11, 2008 10:14 pm

Re: Pittsburgh 2011

Postby pjo » Fri Nov 05, 2010 8:55 pm

OGR3 wrote:
pjo wrote:
kk19131 wrote:I applied in September... and after the initial message from the school... nothing else.

I'm not a big fan of schools that don't have status checkers...

But, if I get into Pitt I will most certainly go for free...


you most certainly won't. lol. They don't give full rides. Depending on if you're in state your probably lookig at 12k/yr in scholarship. I knew a guy that was able to haggle with them to increase it to 16k/yr and he had some great offers elsewhere (he actually ended up at UVA). If you're OOS, you're looking at 14-16k/yr max. You will not get a full ride, they don't care what your numbers are.


It's true. They like to spread the love. Nonetheless, if Pittsburgh is where you'd like to practice, it's still a good deal.


Yeah, I mean don't get me wrong. They definitely try to make law school feasible for everyone. I think it just catches a lot of ppl with high numbers off guard when they don't ge some massive scholarship lol.

User avatar
OGR3
Posts: 881
Joined: Wed Dec 23, 2009 6:56 pm

Re: Pittsburgh 2011

Postby OGR3 » Fri Nov 05, 2010 9:05 pm

Barbie wrote:How hard is it to get in state tuition after the first year? And assuming you do, your scholarship drops?


It's not overly difficult, it's mainly just a big pain.

http://www.bc.pitt.edu/students/tuitionguide.html

Things they really like when it comes to residency are property ownership, if you brought a significant other with you (and if they have a job), and whether you've secured employment in the state.

I've heard that with some people, they have to agree to live and work in the state for a set number of years, but I haven't confirmed that.

Also, residency is determined outside the law school, so it shouldn't have any impact on your scholarship dollars.

reverendt
Posts: 499
Joined: Mon Sep 10, 2007 10:56 am

Re: Pittsburgh 2011

Postby reverendt » Fri Nov 05, 2010 9:15 pm

Barbie wrote:How hard is it to get in state tuition after the first year? And assuming you do, your scholarship drops?


I'm a Pitt 3L. I got in-state status after my 1L year. A petitioned for it, got denied (like everybody does) and requested an appeal (like almost everybody does) and got granted in-state after the appeal. The fact that I brought my wife to PA with me helped, as did the fact that I could have gone to other schools cheaper, but told the appeals committee I chose Pitt because it was a city I would be happy to remain in.

My scholarship did NOT drop. I still get my 5K/year.

User avatar
Gemini
Posts: 1943
Joined: Thu Mar 11, 2010 9:23 pm

Re: Pittsburgh 2011

Postby Gemini » Fri Nov 05, 2010 9:18 pm

pjo wrote:
OGR3 wrote:
pjo wrote:
kk19131 wrote:I applied in September... and after the initial message from the school... nothing else.

I'm not a big fan of schools that don't have status checkers...

But, if I get into Pitt I will most certainly go for free...


you most certainly won't. lol. They don't give full rides. Depending on if you're in state your probably lookig at 12k/yr in scholarship. I knew a guy that was able to haggle with them to increase it to 16k/yr and he had some great offers elsewhere (he actually ended up at UVA). If you're OOS, you're looking at 14-16k/yr max. You will not get a full ride, they don't care what your numbers are.


It's true. They like to spread the love. Nonetheless, if Pittsburgh is where you'd like to practice, it's still a good deal.


Yeah, I mean don't get me wrong. They definitely try to make law school feasible for everyone. I think it just catches a lot of ppl with high numbers off guard when they don't ge some massive scholarship lol.


Kinda disappointing! I never realized that UPitt never offers full rides. I have strong numbers for this school and the only way I would go over a better school is if I got a lot of $$$.

User avatar
Barbie
Posts: 3746
Joined: Mon Jun 07, 2010 8:51 pm

Re: Pittsburgh 2011

Postby Barbie » Fri Nov 05, 2010 9:19 pm

reverendt wrote:
Barbie wrote:How hard is it to get in state tuition after the first year? And assuming you do, your scholarship drops?


I'm a Pitt 3L. I got in-state status after my 1L year. A petitioned for it, got denied (like everybody does) and requested an appeal (like almost everybody does) and got granted in-state after the appeal. The fact that I brought my wife to PA with me helped, as did the fact that I could have gone to other schools cheaper, but told the appeals committee I chose Pitt because it was a city I would be happy to remain in.

My scholarship did NOT drop. I still get my 5K/year.


So say you get the OOS scholly, like idk... 14-16k a year... and then you get instate... won't that become almost like a full scholly? IDK... ?

User avatar
OGR3
Posts: 881
Joined: Wed Dec 23, 2009 6:56 pm

Re: Pittsburgh 2011

Postby OGR3 » Fri Nov 05, 2010 9:21 pm

Barbie wrote:
reverendt wrote:
Barbie wrote:How hard is it to get in state tuition after the first year? And assuming you do, your scholarship drops?


I'm a Pitt 3L. I got in-state status after my 1L year. A petitioned for it, got denied (like everybody does) and requested an appeal (like almost everybody does) and got granted in-state after the appeal. The fact that I brought my wife to PA with me helped, as did the fact that I could have gone to other schools cheaper, but told the appeals committee I chose Pitt because it was a city I would be happy to remain in.

My scholarship did NOT drop. I still get my 5K/year.


So say you get the OOS scholly, like idk... 14-16k a year... and then you get instate... won't that become almost like a full scholly? IDK... ?


You'd still be paying around $10,000 a year.

User avatar
pjo
Posts: 610
Joined: Tue Nov 11, 2008 10:14 pm

Re: Pittsburgh 2011

Postby pjo » Fri Nov 05, 2010 9:50 pm

reverendt wrote:
Barbie wrote:How hard is it to get in state tuition after the first year? And assuming you do, your scholarship drops?


I'm a Pitt 3L. I got in-state status after my 1L year. A petitioned for it, got denied (like everybody does) and requested an appeal (like almost everybody does) and got granted in-state after the appeal. The fact that I brought my wife to PA with me helped, as did the fact that I could have gone to other schools cheaper, but told the appeals committee I chose Pitt because it was a city I would be happy to remain in.

My scholarship did NOT drop. I still get my 5K/year.


Wow, I've been on this board too long. I can remember asking reverendt questions on this board when he was a 1L . Anyway, how are job prospects for 3L's?

User avatar
kk19131
Posts: 1054
Joined: Tue Jun 08, 2010 7:08 pm

Re: Pittsburgh 2011

Postby kk19131 » Fri Nov 05, 2010 10:44 pm

pjo wrote:
kk19131 wrote:I applied in September... and after the initial message from the school... nothing else.

I'm not a big fan of schools that don't have status checkers...

But, if I get into Pitt I will most certainly go for free...


you most certainly won't. lol. They don't give full rides. Depending on if you're in state your probably lookig at 12k/yr in scholarship. I knew a guy that was able to haggle with them to increase it to 16k/yr and he had some great offers elsewhere (he actually ended up at UVA). If you're OOS, you're looking at 14-16k/yr max. You will not get a full ride, they don't care what your numbers are.



Actually, I'm guaranteed a full ride....

At any rate, do you think going to Pitt for free would have advantages over going to a higher-ranked school with debt?


and fyi... last year Pitt gave out 18 full/more than full tuition scholarships.

User avatar
kk19131
Posts: 1054
Joined: Tue Jun 08, 2010 7:08 pm

Re: Pittsburgh 2011

Postby kk19131 » Fri Nov 05, 2010 10:46 pm

Gemini Hopeful wrote:
Kinda disappointing! I never realized that UPitt never offers full rides. I have strong numbers for this school and the only way I would go over a better school is if I got a lot of $$$.



Never is not true... 8 people in the school have full tuition... 10 have more than full tuition.

HeavenWood
Posts: 2915
Joined: Wed Jul 28, 2010 6:42 pm

Re: Pittsburgh 2011

Postby HeavenWood » Fri Nov 05, 2010 10:50 pm

kk19131 wrote:
Gemini Hopeful wrote:
Kinda disappointing! I never realized that UPitt never offers full rides. I have strong numbers for this school and the only way I would go over a better school is if I got a lot of $$$.



Never is not true... 8 people in the school have full tuition... 10 have more than full tuition.


I think Pitt mostly gives full rides to URMs, but I could be wrong.

User avatar
kk19131
Posts: 1054
Joined: Tue Jun 08, 2010 7:08 pm

Re: Pittsburgh 2011

Postby kk19131 » Fri Nov 05, 2010 10:52 pm

HeavenWood wrote:
kk19131 wrote:
Gemini Hopeful wrote:
Kinda disappointing! I never realized that UPitt never offers full rides. I have strong numbers for this school and the only way I would go over a better school is if I got a lot of $$$.



Never is not true... 8 people in the school have full tuition... 10 have more than full tuition.


I think Pitt mostly gives full rides to URMs, but I could be wrong.



Well, I guess I'm lucky I'm a urm. :)

User avatar
pjo
Posts: 610
Joined: Tue Nov 11, 2008 10:14 pm

Re: Pittsburgh 2011

Postby pjo » Sat Nov 06, 2010 12:11 am

kk19131 wrote:
HeavenWood wrote:
kk19131 wrote:
Gemini Hopeful wrote:
Kinda disappointing! I never realized that UPitt never offers full rides. I have strong numbers for this school and the only way I would go over a better school is if I got a lot of $$$.



Never is not true... 8 people in the school have full tuition... 10 have more than full tuition.


I think Pitt mostly gives full rides to URMs, but I could be wrong.



Well, I guess I'm lucky I'm a urm. :)


Seriously, where are you you getting this information from? Because if what you say is true then the admissions office tells lies and LSN has never once documented what you claim.

reverendt
Posts: 499
Joined: Mon Sep 10, 2007 10:56 am

Re: Pittsburgh 2011

Postby reverendt » Sat Nov 06, 2010 12:18 am

pjo wrote:
reverendt wrote:
Barbie wrote:How hard is it to get in state tuition after the first year? And assuming you do, your scholarship drops?


I'm a Pitt 3L. I got in-state status after my 1L year. A petitioned for it, got denied (like everybody does) and requested an appeal (like almost everybody does) and got granted in-state after the appeal. The fact that I brought my wife to PA with me helped, as did the fact that I could have gone to other schools cheaper, but told the appeals committee I chose Pitt because it was a city I would be happy to remain in.

My scholarship did NOT drop. I still get my 5K/year.


Wow, I've been on this board too long. I can remember asking reverendt questions on this board when he was a 1L . Anyway, how are job prospects for 3L's?

Pretty crappy! I've done fairly well (top 30%, journal note being published) and I have nothing lined up. My current (and 2L summer) job won't turn into full time work (it's a solo practice and he's nearing retirement). So it's small law or PI for me. Which I'm fine with as long as I can find something. In the meantime....its very anxiety inducing!

User avatar
pjo
Posts: 610
Joined: Tue Nov 11, 2008 10:14 pm

Re: Pittsburgh 2011

Postby pjo » Sat Nov 06, 2010 12:25 am

reverendt wrote:
pjo wrote:
reverendt wrote:
Barbie wrote:How hard is it to get in state tuition after the first year? And assuming you do, your scholarship drops?


I'm a Pitt 3L. I got in-state status after my 1L year. A petitioned for it, got denied (like everybody does) and requested an appeal (like almost everybody does) and got granted in-state after the appeal. The fact that I brought my wife to PA with me helped, as did the fact that I could have gone to other schools cheaper, but told the appeals committee I chose Pitt because it was a city I would be happy to remain in.

My scholarship did NOT drop. I still get my 5K/year.


Wow, I've been on this board too long. I can remember asking reverendt questions on this board when he was a 1L . Anyway, how are job prospects for 3L's?

Pretty crappy! I've done fairly well (top 30%, journal note being published) and I have nothing lined up. My current (and 2L summer) job won't turn into full time work (it's a solo practice and he's nearing retirement). So it's small law or PI for me. Which I'm fine with as long as I can find something. In the meantime....its very anxiety inducing!


That's too bad man, I really hope things start panning out for you. Are most 3L's in the same situation? I have a lot of connections to the legal community in Pittsburgh but I kind of have the feeling that the city is just in a legal slump. Even with my connections I'm thinking it might be better to try my luck at another regional school I'm interested in, like UNC or Wake. I'm thinking because NC is growing it might have more opportunity.

User avatar
kk19131
Posts: 1054
Joined: Tue Jun 08, 2010 7:08 pm

Re: Pittsburgh 2011

Postby kk19131 » Sat Nov 06, 2010 1:51 am

pjo wrote:
Seriously, where are you you getting this information from? Because if what you say is true then the admissions office tells lies and LSN has never once documented what you claim.



I got my information from the American Bar Association.

I don't know what you've been told, but you are mistaken: the school does have people there with full scholarships.

http://officialguide.lsac.org/Release/SchoolsABAData/SchoolPage/SchoolPage_PDFs/ABA_LawSchoolData/ABA2927.pdf

reverendt
Posts: 499
Joined: Mon Sep 10, 2007 10:56 am

Re: Pittsburgh 2011

Postby reverendt » Sat Nov 06, 2010 1:27 pm

pjo wrote:That's too bad man, I really hope things start panning out for you. Are most 3L's in the same situation? I have a lot of connections to the legal community in Pittsburgh but I kind of have the feeling that the city is just in a legal slump. Even with my connections I'm thinking it might be better to try my luck at another regional school I'm interested in, like UNC or Wake. I'm thinking because NC is growing it might have more opportunity.


Yes, most of us are in that situation. Everyone's adopted a sort of a gallows-humor approach to the whole thing!
A lot of the non-biglaw jobs don't hire until the new year, so we really won't know how bad our lot is or isn't for several months.
I know a handful of people with biglaw & biglaw-esque (by that I mean big local firms that pay big-law salaries and have adopted the whole summer associate system) but maybe only about 15 or 20 out of my class of 250. Not surprisingly, they're all near the top of the class and on law review. In good time (meaning a few years ago) the top 1/3 of the class would probably be in that situation. 5 years ago Reed Smith used to take about 15-20 summer associates, mostly from Pitt. This year they took 4. The same goes for the other firms.
I don't know if this means that Pittsburgh is in a legal slump, or if it's typical of the nationwide legal slump.
My advice: 1) Consider your legal connections to Pittsburgh. Are they such that you think an employment opportunity is likely to arise? If yes, then I would recommend giving Pitt serious consideration. If not, then you want to weigh your options. What markets do UNC and Wake feed into? Talk to 3Ls looking for jobs in those markets, and compare.
Good luck!

User avatar
Gemini
Posts: 1943
Joined: Thu Mar 11, 2010 9:23 pm

Re: Pittsburgh 2011

Postby Gemini » Sat Nov 06, 2010 3:26 pm

PJO, you and I seem to be considering a lot of the same schools!

User avatar
pjo
Posts: 610
Joined: Tue Nov 11, 2008 10:14 pm

Re: Pittsburgh 2011

Postby pjo » Sat Nov 06, 2010 7:31 pm

Gemini Hopeful wrote:PJO, you and I seem to be considering a lot of the same schools!


haha I was just thinking how I keep running into you in the same threads.

uwgbluedevil
Posts: 178
Joined: Tue Oct 05, 2010 12:02 pm

Re: Pittsburgh 2011

Postby uwgbluedevil » Sun Nov 07, 2010 10:14 am

I was extremely impressed by Pitt and should have my application in within a week. Can anyone who might know give me my honest chances of getting in?

3.1 and 163

User avatar
OGR3
Posts: 881
Joined: Wed Dec 23, 2009 6:56 pm

Re: Pittsburgh 2011

Postby OGR3 » Sun Nov 07, 2010 10:36 am

uwgbluedevil wrote:I was extremely impressed by Pitt and should have my application in within a week. Can anyone who might know give me my honest chances of getting in?

3.1 and 163


I'd say your chances are pretty good. Your GPA is just above the 25th percentile and your LSAT is over the 75th percentile.

User avatar
BarbellDreams
Posts: 2256
Joined: Thu Mar 19, 2009 6:10 pm

Re: Pittsburgh 2011

Postby BarbellDreams » Sun Nov 07, 2010 11:04 pm

I feel like you'll get in but not with much , if any, scholly help.

User avatar
Barbie
Posts: 3746
Joined: Mon Jun 07, 2010 8:51 pm

Re: Pittsburgh 2011

Postby Barbie » Mon Nov 08, 2010 12:13 am

BarbellDreams wrote:I feel like you'll get in but not with much , if any, scholly help.


lolwut????
163/3.1 I would wager is SURE money from Pitt.
http://lawschoolnumbers.com/charcop/jd




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], carlos_danger, Google Adsense [Bot], okf731, SevenSeven77 and 14 guests