Pittsburgh 2011

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
pjo

Re: Pittsburgh 2011

Postby pjo » Fri Nov 05, 2010 8:43 pm

kk19131 wrote:I applied in September... and after the initial message from the school... nothing else.

I'm not a big fan of schools that don't have status checkers...

But, if I get into Pitt I will most certainly go for free...

you most certainly won't. lol. They don't give full rides. Depending on if you're in state your probably lookig at 12k/yr in scholarship. I knew a guy that was able to haggle with them to increase it to 16k/yr and he had some great offers elsewhere (he actually ended up at UVA). If you're OOS, you're looking at 14-16k/yr max. You will not get a full ride, they don't care what your numbers are.

OGR3

Postby OGR3 » Fri Nov 05, 2010 8:52 pm

pjo wrote:
kk19131 wrote:I applied in September... and after the initial message from the school... nothing else.

you most certainly won't. lol. They don't give full rides. Depending on if you're in state your probably lookig at 12k/yr in scholarship. I knew a guy that was able to haggle with them to increase it to 16k/yr and he had some great offers elsewhere (he actually ended up at UVA). If you're OOS, you're looking at 14-16k/yr max. You will not get a full ride, they don't care what your numbers are.

It's true. They like to spread the love. Nonetheless, if Pittsburgh is where you'd like to practice, it's still a good deal.

Barbie

Postby Barbie » Fri Nov 05, 2010 8:54 pm

How hard is it to get in state tuition after the first year? And assuming you do, your scholarship drops?

pjo

Postby pjo » Fri Nov 05, 2010 8:55 pm

OGR3 wrote:
pjo wrote:

It's true. They like to spread the love. Nonetheless, if Pittsburgh is where you'd like to practice, it's still a good deal.

Yeah, I mean don't get me wrong. They definitely try to make law school feasible for everyone. I think it just catches a lot of ppl with high numbers off guard when they don't ge some massive scholarship lol.

OGR3

Postby OGR3 » Fri Nov 05, 2010 9:05 pm

Barbie wrote:How hard is it to get in state tuition after the first year? And assuming you do, your scholarship drops?

It's not overly difficult, it's mainly just a big pain.

http://www.bc.pitt.edu/students/tuitionguide.html

Things they really like when it comes to residency are property ownership, if you brought a significant other with you (and if they have a job), and whether you've secured employment in the state.

I've heard that with some people, they have to agree to live and work in the state for a set number of years, but I haven't confirmed that.

Also, residency is determined outside the law school, so it shouldn't have any impact on your scholarship dollars.

reverendt

Postby reverendt » Fri Nov 05, 2010 9:15 pm

Barbie wrote:How hard is it to get in state tuition after the first year? And assuming you do, your scholarship drops?

I'm a Pitt 3L. I got in-state status after my 1L year. A petitioned for it, got denied (like everybody does) and requested an appeal (like almost everybody does) and got granted in-state after the appeal. The fact that I brought my wife to PA with me helped, as did the fact that I could have gone to other schools cheaper, but told the appeals committee I chose Pitt because it was a city I would be happy to remain in.

My scholarship did NOT drop. I still get my 5K/year.

Gemini

Postby Gemini » Fri Nov 05, 2010 9:18 pm

pjo wrote:
OGR3 wrote:
pjo wrote:

Yeah, I mean don't get me wrong. They definitely try to make law school feasible for everyone. I think it just catches a lot of ppl with high numbers off guard when they don't ge some massive scholarship lol.

Kinda disappointing! I never realized that UPitt never offers full rides. I have strong numbers for this school and the only way I would go over a better school is if I got a lot of $$$.

Barbie

Postby Barbie » Fri Nov 05, 2010 9:19 pm

reverendt wrote:

I'm a Pitt 3L. I got in-state status after my 1L year. A petitioned for it, got denied (like everybody does) and requested an appeal (like almost everybody does) and got granted in-state after the appeal. The fact that I brought my wife to PA with me helped, as did the fact that I could have gone to other schools cheaper, but told the appeals committee I chose Pitt because it was a city I would be happy to remain in.

So say you get the OOS scholly, like idk... 14-16k a year... and then you get instate... won't that become almost like a full scholly? IDK... ?

OGR3

Postby OGR3 » Fri Nov 05, 2010 9:21 pm

Barbie wrote:
reverendt wrote:

So say you get the OOS scholly, like idk... 14-16k a year... and then you get instate... won't that become almost like a full scholly? IDK... ?

You'd still be paying around $10,000 a year.

pjo

Postby pjo » Fri Nov 05, 2010 9:50 pm

reverendt wrote:

Wow, I've been on this board too long. I can remember asking reverendt questions on this board when he was a 1L . Anyway, how are job prospects for 3L's?

kk19131

Postby kk19131 » Fri Nov 05, 2010 10:44 pm

pjo wrote:

Actually, I'm guaranteed a full ride....

At any rate, do you think going to Pitt for free would have advantages over going to a higher-ranked school with debt?

and fyi... last year Pitt gave out 18 full/more than full tuition scholarships.

kk19131

Postby kk19131 » Fri Nov 05, 2010 10:46 pm

Gemini Hopeful wrote:
Kinda disappointing! I never realized that UPitt never offers full rides. I have strong numbers for this school and the only way I would go over a better school is if I got a lot of $$$.

Never is not true... 8 people in the school have full tuition... 10 have more than full tuition.

HeavenWood

Postby HeavenWood » Fri Nov 05, 2010 10:50 pm

kk19131 wrote:
Gemini Hopeful wrote:

Never is not true... 8 people in the school have full tuition... 10 have more than full tuition.

I think Pitt mostly gives full rides to URMs, but I could be wrong.

kk19131

Postby kk19131 » Fri Nov 05, 2010 10:52 pm

HeavenWood wrote:
kk19131 wrote:
Gemini Hopeful wrote:

Well, I guess I'm lucky I'm a urm. :)

pjo

Postby pjo » Sat Nov 06, 2010 12:11 am

kk19131 wrote:
HeavenWood wrote:
kk19131 wrote:
Gemini Hopeful wrote:

Well, I guess I'm lucky I'm a urm. :)

Seriously, where are you you getting this information from? Because if what you say is true then the admissions office tells lies and LSN has never once documented what you claim.

reverendt

Postby reverendt » Sat Nov 06, 2010 12:18 am

pjo wrote:
reverendt wrote:

Wow, I've been on this board too long. I can remember asking reverendt questions on this board when he was a 1L . Anyway, how are job prospects for 3L's?

Pretty crappy! I've done fairly well (top 30%, journal note being published) and I have nothing lined up. My current (and 2L summer) job won't turn into full time work (it's a solo practice and he's nearing retirement). So it's small law or PI for me. Which I'm fine with as long as I can find something. In the meantime....its very anxiety inducing!

pjo

Postby pjo » Sat Nov 06, 2010 12:25 am

reverendt wrote:
pjo wrote:
reverendt wrote:

Pretty crappy! I've done fairly well (top 30%, journal note being published) and I have nothing lined up. My current (and 2L summer) job won't turn into full time work (it's a solo practice and he's nearing retirement). So it's small law or PI for me. Which I'm fine with as long as I can find something. In the meantime....its very anxiety inducing!

That's too bad man, I really hope things start panning out for you. Are most 3L's in the same situation? I have a lot of connections to the legal community in Pittsburgh but I kind of have the feeling that the city is just in a legal slump. Even with my connections I'm thinking it might be better to try my luck at another regional school I'm interested in, like UNC or Wake. I'm thinking because NC is growing it might have more opportunity.

kk19131

Postby kk19131 » Sat Nov 06, 2010 1:51 am

pjo wrote:
Seriously, where are you you getting this information from? Because if what you say is true then the admissions office tells lies and LSN has never once documented what you claim.

I got my information from the American Bar Association.

I don't know what you've been told, but you are mistaken: the school does have people there with full scholarships.

http://officialguide.lsac.org/Release/SchoolsABAData/SchoolPage/SchoolPage_PDFs/ABA_LawSchoolData/ABA2927.pdf

reverendt

Postby reverendt » Sat Nov 06, 2010 1:27 pm

pjo wrote:That's too bad man, I really hope things start panning out for you. Are most 3L's in the same situation? I have a lot of connections to the legal community in Pittsburgh but I kind of have the feeling that the city is just in a legal slump. Even with my connections I'm thinking it might be better to try my luck at another regional school I'm interested in, like UNC or Wake. I'm thinking because NC is growing it might have more opportunity.

Yes, most of us are in that situation. Everyone's adopted a sort of a gallows-humor approach to the whole thing!
A lot of the non-biglaw jobs don't hire until the new year, so we really won't know how bad our lot is or isn't for several months.
I know a handful of people with biglaw & biglaw-esque (by that I mean big local firms that pay big-law salaries and have adopted the whole summer associate system) but maybe only about 15 or 20 out of my class of 250. Not surprisingly, they're all near the top of the class and on law review. In good time (meaning a few years ago) the top 1/3 of the class would probably be in that situation. 5 years ago Reed Smith used to take about 15-20 summer associates, mostly from Pitt. This year they took 4. The same goes for the other firms.
I don't know if this means that Pittsburgh is in a legal slump, or if it's typical of the nationwide legal slump.
My advice: 1) Consider your legal connections to Pittsburgh. Are they such that you think an employment opportunity is likely to arise? If yes, then I would recommend giving Pitt serious consideration. If not, then you want to weigh your options. What markets do UNC and Wake feed into? Talk to 3Ls looking for jobs in those markets, and compare.
Good luck!

Gemini

Postby Gemini » Sat Nov 06, 2010 3:26 pm

PJO, you and I seem to be considering a lot of the same schools!

pjo

Postby pjo » Sat Nov 06, 2010 7:31 pm

Gemini Hopeful wrote:PJO, you and I seem to be considering a lot of the same schools!

haha I was just thinking how I keep running into you in the same threads.

uwgbluedevil

Postby uwgbluedevil » Sun Nov 07, 2010 10:14 am

I was extremely impressed by Pitt and should have my application in within a week. Can anyone who might know give me my honest chances of getting in?

3.1 and 163

OGR3

Postby OGR3 » Sun Nov 07, 2010 10:36 am

uwgbluedevil wrote:I was extremely impressed by Pitt and should have my application in within a week. Can anyone who might know give me my honest chances of getting in?

3.1 and 163

I'd say your chances are pretty good. Your GPA is just above the 25th percentile and your LSAT is over the 75th percentile.

BarbellDreams

Postby BarbellDreams » Sun Nov 07, 2010 11:04 pm

I feel like you'll get in but not with much , if any, scholly help.

Barbie

Postby Barbie » Mon Nov 08, 2010 12:13 am

BarbellDreams wrote:I feel like you'll get in but not with much , if any, scholly help.

lolwut????
163/3.1 I would wager is SURE money from Pitt.
http://lawschoolnumbers.com/charcop/jd

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”