Pittsburgh 2011

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
ca$hmoney69

Re: Pittsburgh 2011

Postby ca$hmoney69 » Thu Dec 30, 2010 4:12 pm

i'm in with 160/3.64. They gave me $14,000 a year.

SixStrings11

Postby SixStrings11 » Thu Dec 30, 2010 4:21 pm

Spinozist21 wrote:Did you get scholarship?

Wasn't included in the letter. So I assume no.

boilerup89

Postby boilerup89 » Thu Dec 30, 2010 4:24 pm

ca$hmoney69 wrote:i'm in with 160/3.64. They gave me $14,000 a year.

When did you apply and when did you hear?

I have very very similar numbers

dlbuhr

Postby dlbuhr » Thu Dec 30, 2010 10:41 pm

So I was getting ready to submit my application, and was going over the requirements on Pitt's website: Nothing is mentioned about a diversity statement. Is it alright if I submit a personal statement and diversity statement? Or should I just submit the diversity statement? :?

fundamentallybroken

Postby fundamentallybroken » Thu Dec 30, 2010 11:28 pm

dlbuhr wrote:So I was getting ready to submit my application, and was going over the requirements on Pitt's website: Nothing is mentioned about a diversity statement. Is it alright if I submit a personal statement and diversity statement? Or should I just submit the diversity statement? :?

The application in LSAC has the regular application and a supplemental diversity form. So you can fill out the app and send your personal statement with it, then print out the diversity form and submit your diversity statement with it.

dlbuhr

Postby dlbuhr » Thu Dec 30, 2010 11:36 pm

fundamentallybroken wrote: The application in LSAC has the regular application and a supplemental diversity form. So you can fill out the app and send your personal statement with it, then print out the diversity form and submit your diversity statement with it.

So it does haha. Thanks for your help in pointing that out to me.

fundamentallybroken

Postby fundamentallybroken » Thu Dec 30, 2010 11:48 pm

dlbuhr wrote:
fundamentallybroken wrote: The application in LSAC has the regular application and a supplemental diversity form. So you can fill out the app and send your personal statement with it, then print out the diversity form and submit your diversity statement with it.

So it does haha. Thanks for your help in pointing that out to me.

Not a problem - good luck!

gator84

Postby gator84 » Sun Jan 02, 2011 1:52 am

Does anyone know how much the Public Interest scholarship is worth? My current plan is to use the GI Bill and Yellow Ribbon program to cover tuition but if I can get enough money from scholarships, then I won't have to use the GI Bill.

bport hopeful

Postby bport hopeful » Mon Jan 03, 2011 2:06 pm

So, I went to apply and I didn't attach a PS or a resume. What should I do? Am I boned?

dreakol

Postby dreakol » Mon Jan 03, 2011 2:09 pm

email them explaining what happened and attach the documents.

kk19131

Postby kk19131 » Mon Jan 03, 2011 8:30 pm

gator84 wrote:Does anyone know how much the Public Interest scholarship is worth? My current plan is to use the GI Bill and Yellow Ribbon program to cover tuition but if I can get enough money from scholarships, then I won't have to use the GI Bill.

I don't know how much the scholarship is worth, but did you read all the crazy stipulations that come with it?

fundamentallybroken

Postby fundamentallybroken » Mon Jan 03, 2011 9:23 pm

kk19131 wrote:
gator84 wrote:Does anyone know how much the Public Interest scholarship is worth? My current plan is to use the GI Bill and Yellow Ribbon program to cover tuition but if I can get enough money from scholarships, then I won't have to use the GI Bill.

I don't know how much the scholarship is worth, but did you read all the crazy stipulations that come with it?

Some people keep saying this, but what stipulations? I don't see anything beyond other schools' requirements for PI schollys. What are you seeing (and where?) Or are you trying to scare off the competition?

kk19131

Postby kk19131 » Mon Jan 03, 2011 9:32 pm

fundamentallybroken wrote:
kk19131 wrote:

Some people keep saying this, but what stipulations? I don't see anything beyond other schools' requirements for PI schollys. What are you seeing (and where?) Or are you trying to scare off the competition?

You're not any competition for me. I'm not applying to this scholarship because I have no need for it.

I'll admit that I don't know how other schools stipulate PI funds, but these requirements just seem onerous to me.

1. Maintain a “B” average (defined as at least a 3.00 QPA) or better in your legal studies.
2. Actively participate in the Pitt Legal Income Sharing Foundation (public interest student organization) each year,
attending meetings and assisting with programming.
3. Interview with the Committee in the month of April (before finals) in your first and second year and the Fall of your
third year of law school to evaluate your level of commitment to public interest law based upon your summer work
plans and law school activities.
4. Complete a 4-credit public interest externship (208 hours) or public interest employment (208 hours minimum)
(approved by the Scholarship Committee) during your first and second summers. A split summer program as
approved by the committee may meet the renewal criteria.
5. Complete an essay explaining your experiences at the conclusion of each summer and how they relate to your public
interest goals.
6. Participate in a law school legal clinic during at least one of your last three semesters of law school.
7. Submit a Public Interest Commitment Statement each academic year before funds can be disbursed. The Public
Interest Commitment Statement acknowledges the scholarship recipient’s intentions to enter a career in public interest
law. If at any time, the scholarship recipient’s commitment to public interest law changes (for example, accepting a
non-public interest position), it is the responsibility of the recipient to notify the Director of Financial Aid so that their
scholarship status can be brought to the committee for review.

SrLaw

Postby SrLaw » Tue Jan 04, 2011 1:38 pm

Anyone know how easy it is to establish residency for in-state tuition in Pennsylvania?

kk19131 wrote:
fundamentallybroken wrote:
kk19131 wrote:

You're not any competition for me. I'm not applying to this scholarship because I have no need for it.

I'll admit that I don't know how other schools stipulate PI funds, but these requirements just seem onerous to me.

1. Maintain a “B” average (defined as at least a 3.00 QPA) or better in your legal studies.
2. Actively participate in the Pitt Legal Income Sharing Foundation (public interest student organization) each year,
attending meetings and assisting with programming.
3. Interview with the Committee in the month of April (before finals) in your first and second year and the Fall of your
third year of law school to evaluate your level of commitment to public interest law based upon your summer work
plans and law school activities.
4. Complete a 4-credit public interest externship (208 hours) or public interest employment (208 hours minimum)
(approved by the Scholarship Committee) during your first and second summers. A split summer program as
approved by the committee may meet the renewal criteria.
5. Complete an essay explaining your experiences at the conclusion of each summer and how they relate to your public
interest goals.
6. Participate in a law school legal clinic during at least one of your last three semesters of law school.
7. Submit a Public Interest Commitment Statement each academic year before funds can be disbursed. The Public
Interest Commitment Statement acknowledges the scholarship recipient’s intentions to enter a career in public interest
law. If at any time, the scholarship recipient’s commitment to public interest law changes (for example, accepting a
non-public interest position), it is the responsibility of the recipient to notify the Director of Financial Aid so that their
scholarship status can be brought to the committee for review.

OGR3

Postby OGR3 » Tue Jan 04, 2011 1:57 pm

SrLaw wrote:Anyone know how easy it is to establish residency for in-state tuition in Pennsylvania?

It's not that difficult, just establish as many of the university's suggested criteria as possible. The golden elements are usually home ownership and/or bringing a significant other with you.

bport hopeful

Postby bport hopeful » Tue Jan 04, 2011 2:18 pm

Someone told me that you can apply for PA residency without having lived there for a year. That could cut another 10K of your tuition. Not sure how though, but its something to look into.

Gatorbull84

Postby Gatorbull84 » Tue Jan 04, 2011 3:52 pm

For the people accepted how long after you went UR did you receive your decision. I have been UR since 12/8/10. Also, Im not sure how competitive I am. I have a 161, UGPA of 3.0 in engineering, gradgpa of 3.6 in molecular medicine. Has anyone been accepted with similar numbers?

northwood

Postby northwood » Tue Jan 04, 2011 4:48 pm

since today is the second day back from the holiday break, i would be surprised if decisions were sent out. I would say that the earliest would be the end of this week, or beginning of next week before the next batch of decisions were sent out. Ive been in Review since mid November, and while I would like to know asap, i wont start freaking out until the end of the month.

Gatorbull84

Postby Gatorbull84 » Tue Jan 04, 2011 5:16 pm

northwood wrote:since today is the second day back from the holiday break, i would be surprised if decisions were sent out. I would say that the earliest would be the end of this week, or beginning of next week before the next batch of decisions were sent out. Ive been in Review since mid November, and while I would like to know asap, i wont start freaking out until the end of the month.

true, I guess Im just impatient. Thanks

OGR3

Postby OGR3 » Tue Jan 04, 2011 5:59 pm

Gatorbull84 wrote:
northwood wrote:since today is the second day back from the holiday break, i would be surprised if decisions were sent out. I would say that the earliest would be the end of this week, or beginning of next week before the next batch of decisions were sent out. Ive been in Review since mid November, and while I would like to know asap, i wont start freaking out until the end of the month.

true, I guess Im just impatient. Thanks

Just an FYI, a lot of the academic buildings were closed yesterday. I tried to show my brother around campus yesterday and we couldn't even get into the law building. That's not to say the admissions people weren't around, but the entire campus was pretty slow...

kk19131

Postby kk19131 » Tue Jan 04, 2011 6:01 pm

I'm getting closer and closer to deciding to go to Pitt.

Free is a strong motivator.

In fact, if I do go, I'm going to take out a few thousand dollars just to max out my cost of living allowance. 8)

fundamentallybroken

Postby fundamentallybroken » Tue Jan 04, 2011 6:12 pm

kk19131 wrote:
Free is a strong motivator.

Definitely.

kk19131

Postby kk19131 » Tue Jan 04, 2011 7:01 pm

So, where's a good place to live?

uwgbluedevil

Postby uwgbluedevil » Tue Jan 04, 2011 9:49 pm

kk19131 wrote:So, where's a good place to live?

I've heard Shadyside is a good place to live. Lots of law and grad students and close to campus

OGR3

Postby OGR3 » Tue Jan 04, 2011 9:57 pm

uwgbluedevil wrote:
kk19131 wrote:So, where's a good place to live?

I've heard Shadyside is a good place to live. Lots of law and grad students and close to campus

If you go back through this thread there's some discussion about the best neighborhoods for law students. Generally, if you want a relatively quiet place but is still close to campus and with some entertainment/dining options, Shadyside and Squirrel Hill are going to be the best choices. Oakland is overpriced and overrun with undergrads. I do not know one law student living there.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”