Pittsburgh 2011

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
eternallearner

Re: Pittsburgh 2011

Postby eternallearner » Mon Dec 20, 2010 9:08 pm

Cycle is over for me:

IN @ UPitt under ED!!! 3.08/162 Applied in November to UPitt for ED. Don’t know what date the mail arrived since we left the house on 12/9/10 and returned just now. Did not have access to the internet. I worked hard to put together my application despite being a busy parent and felt relatively comfortable with the whole process.

Sorry for the long silence. In-laws (huge group: mom/dad plus 2 families) came to visit. Hubby, children and I took them to Mexico for a vacation. (Relaxing for the in-laws, but crazy hectic for us!!!) Finally returned to Seattle (home sweet home) just now and finally had the chance to check my mail/email.

Low-GPA’ers: there is hope! Good luck kiddos!

Gemini

Postby Gemini » Mon Dec 20, 2010 9:10 pm

eternallearner wrote:Cycle is over for me:

IN @ UPitt under ED!!! 3.08/162 Applied in November to UPitt for ED. Don’t know what date the mail arrived since we left the house on 12/9/10 and returned just now. Did not have access to the internet. I worked hard to put together my application despite being a busy parent and felt relatively comfortable with the whole process.

Sorry for the long silence. In-laws (huge group: mom/dad plus 2 families) came to visit. Hubby, children and I took them to Mexico for a vacation. (Relaxing for the in-laws, but crazy hectic for us!!!) Finally returned to Seattle (home sweet home) just now and finally had the chance to check my mail/email.

Low-GPA’ers: there is hope! Good luck kiddos!

Big Congrats!!!!

Barbie

Postby Barbie » Mon Dec 20, 2010 9:16 pm

kk19131 wrote:
Barbie wrote:
kk19131 wrote:I didn't pull the numbers out of thin air. :?

Don't get an attititude with me because you didnt answer the question :? . There are tons of ways you could have found out. Emails and phone calls are VERY popular. hth <3

I'm sorry. The $12000 "tuition scholarship" is in the letter. I found out about the full scholarship from a dean at my school. :oops:

I'm confused by this. Your letter said youre getting 12k per year but your UG school said you were getting more? Can you elaborate?

Oh, and 14k/year "dean's scholarship" in my letter. Just opened it.

ach24

Postby ach24 » Mon Dec 20, 2010 9:27 pm

Last edited by ach24 on Fri Jul 31, 2015 10:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

jetergrl2ss

Postby jetergrl2ss » Mon Dec 20, 2010 9:30 pm

ach24 wrote:To those accepted: Did your application switch to UR to stay on complete?

I'm not accepted... but I went from complete to UR. Been UR since 12/8. HTH

Trip Coker

Postby Trip Coker » Mon Dec 20, 2010 10:10 pm

The acceptance letter and holiday card finally made it out to Hawaii. I got the Dean's Scholarship as well (although it is not a factor since the GI Bill + Yellow Ribbon program covers 100% tuition and pays a $1600/m housing allowance). Congrats to everyone who has been accepted and best of luck to those still awaiting decisions. I didn't pay attention to the status checker so I can't help with those questions. When I add this to the fact that North Allegheny took home the state football championship and the Steelers clinched a playoff spot despite the loss it has been a good week. Oh and my wife found out we are pregnant. Merry Christmas. Go Steelers.

Barbie

Postby Barbie » Mon Dec 20, 2010 10:20 pm

CONGRATS!! YAY BABIES!

Trip Coker

Postby Trip Coker » Mon Dec 20, 2010 10:28 pm

Barbie wrote:CONGRATS!! YAY BABIES!

Thanks Barbie. This will either make law school more difficult or it will give my wife something to keep her busy while I study in the library. Congrats on your scholarship too. Hope your cycle is going well. Is Penn State still jerking you around?

Barbie

Postby Barbie » Mon Dec 20, 2010 10:56 pm

Trip Coker wrote:

Thanks Barbie. This will either make law school more difficult or it will give my wife something to keep her busy while I study in the library. Congrats on your scholarship too. Hope your cycle is going well. Is Penn State still jerking you around?

lol! I'm sure itll keep her busy and make things a little difficult-- but also increase the desire to succeed!! Penn State finally let me in! haha. Cycle is going well! 12 acceptances, 2 waitlists and no rejections quite yet. I'm REALLY excited about my Illinois acceptance! I'm actually going to visit there next month which is exciting... my first law school visit haha. How is yours?

Trip Coker

Postby Trip Coker » Mon Dec 20, 2010 11:08 pm

Barbie wrote:
Trip Coker wrote:

lol! I'm sure itll keep her busy and make things a little difficult-- but also increase the desire to succeed!! Penn State finally let me in! haha. Cycle is going well! 12 acceptances, 2 waitlists and no rejections quite yet. I'm REALLY excited about my Illinois acceptance! I'm actually going to visit there next month which is exciting... my first law school visit haha. How is yours?

Congrats on all the acceptances! I've got all my stats and application status updates in my profile but so far I've gotten into William & Mary, Iowa, Penn State and Pitt. Washington & Lee WL'd me and Illinois, Penn and Cornell rejected me (although I really didn't have any chance at a t-14). Getting into Illinois is great! Dean Pless must have appreciated all your enthusiasm over in that thread :P

Barbie

Postby Barbie » Tue Dec 21, 2010 10:01 am

Trip Coker wrote:Congrats on all the acceptances! I've got all my stats and application status updates in my profile but so far I've gotten into William & Mary, Iowa, Penn State and Pitt. Washington & Lee WL'd me and Illinois, Penn and Cornell rejected me (although I really didn't have any chance at a t-14). Getting into Illinois is great! Dean Pless must have appreciated all your enthusiasm over in that thread :P

While I don't particularly appreciate you attributing my acceptance solely to my online presence, thus assuming I didn't warrant one on my own accords and merit, thank you for the congrats anyways.

Gemini

Postby Gemini » Tue Dec 21, 2010 10:39 am

Barbie wrote:
Trip Coker wrote:Congrats on all the acceptances! I've got all my stats and application status updates in my profile but so far I've gotten into William & Mary, Iowa, Penn State and Pitt. Washington & Lee WL'd me and Illinois, Penn and Cornell rejected me (although I really didn't have any chance at a t-14). Getting into Illinois is great! Dean Pless must have appreciated all your enthusiasm over in that thread :P

While I don't particularly appreciate you attributing my acceptance solely to my online presence, thus assuming I didn't warrant one on my own accords and merit, thank you for the congrats anyways.

Wait how would they find out who you are online anyway? I'm sure there is more than one person with the same stats.

Barbie

Postby Barbie » Tue Dec 21, 2010 10:46 am

Eee... It's pretty easy to figure me out if someone really wanted to. But I doubt someone would be admitted because they act a certain way on an internet forum.

Peekay80

Postby Peekay80 » Tue Dec 21, 2010 12:25 pm

I don't think Trip meant anything by it. But, at the same time, I don't think there are too many people with her numbers and unique personal/diversity statement, if you've seen Barbie at all on these threads. But, in the interest of the thread can we get back to Pitt, because these updates are killing me since I'm still UR.

Barbie

Postby Barbie » Tue Dec 21, 2010 12:28 pm

Peekay80 wrote:I don't think Trip meant anything by it. But, at the same time, I don't think there are too many people with her numbers and unique personal/diversity statement, if you've seen Barbie at all on these threads. But, in the interest of the thread can we get back to Pitt, because these updates are killing me since I'm still UR.

I think Pitt things may be stagnant until next week :|

Trip Coker

Postby Trip Coker » Tue Dec 21, 2010 2:01 pm

No offense intended Barbie. I was just joking with you. Big congrats on the acceptance and best of luck with the rest of the cycle. Sorry for derailing the thread. Best of luck to all those still waiting! :)

VTOrange19

Postby VTOrange19 » Tue Dec 21, 2010 2:56 pm

To people from the Pitt area.... Shady Side or South Side?

Mpeterson4

Postby Mpeterson4 » Tue Dec 21, 2010 4:37 pm

VTOrange19 wrote:To people from the Pitt area.... Shady Side or South Side?

For living, or for enjoying oneself?

vdbl1901

Postby vdbl1901 » Tue Dec 21, 2010 5:27 pm

I went to Pitt for undergrad. I definately would say Shady Side is the better neighborhood to live in. I would take having a better chance to find a parking space on the weekends and not being constantly surrounded by South Side revelers any day. If your worried that Shady Side is lacking in entertainment this is not the case. It's pretty trendy and I would definately recommend Harris's Grill. Dont get me wrong the South Side really is a fun place to be I just dont think its the best place for a graduate student to live. Also as a general rule of thumb I would avoid living in both North Oakland and South Oakland its pretty dirty and the apartments for the most part are pretty awful. It also houses mostly undergraduates. If you really must be close to campus Id reccomend either Webster Hall or Laga. It is worth noting that they are overpriced compared to what you can get in Shady Side and South Side. Also, Squirell Hill is definately a neighborhood worth checking out.

balzern

Postby balzern » Tue Dec 21, 2010 7:38 pm

Yes, I agree with all that has been said in regards to neighborhoods. Shady Side is the way to go and it really isn't that hard to get a taxi to the South Side bar scene.

reverendt

Postby reverendt » Tue Dec 21, 2010 11:22 pm

VTOrange19 wrote:To people from the Pitt area.... Shady Side or South Side?

Shadyside for the reasons already stated.

Squirrel Hill is nice and can be cheaper.

I live in Regent Square and love it. I would check there too.

Nanosoft

Postby Nanosoft » Wed Dec 22, 2010 12:29 am

I went to Pitt for undergrad as well and I agree with the above posters.

There really isn't even a comparison in my eyes, Shadyside is just the nicer area, especially for a student. Carson street has a decent night life, but outside of drinking, there isn't really anything that would draw me to that area over Shadyside.

IIRC, Shadyside sort of had the rep as the "graduate students area".

Dr. Review

Postby Dr. Review » Wed Dec 22, 2010 2:29 am

OGR3 wrote:
AKenter wrote:I just sent out my application tonight. I can tell that I am pretty late in sending it compared to most of you who have expressed interest. Anyway, I really like the looks of Pitt and think that it might be the one for me. I am a little nervous about being late though...

You're most definitely not late.

I have friends who applied in January/February and got in with $.

I heard my name? I applied in early February, was accepted early/mid April, and I got $8k/yr with numbers that were SPOT on median for both. In other words, those of you who are worrying yourselves to death, STOP IT. There will be plenty of time to freak out around Thanksgiving next year for all of you.

mhd08

Postby mhd08 » Wed Dec 22, 2010 11:48 am

Bedsole wrote:
OGR3 wrote:
AKenter wrote:I just sent out my application tonight. I can tell that I am pretty late in sending it compared to most of you who have expressed interest. Anyway, I really like the looks of Pitt and think that it might be the one for me. I am a little nervous about being late though...

I heard my name? I applied in early February, was accepted early/mid April, and I got $8k/yr with numbers that were SPOT on median for both. In other words, those of you who are worrying yourselves to death, STOP IT. There will be plenty of time to freak out around Thanksgiving next year for all of you.

+1. Seriously.

OGR3

Postby OGR3 » Wed Dec 22, 2010 12:09 pm

Bedsole wrote:
OGR3 wrote:

Just so we're clear, Bedsole is not my friend. He walks around all day in that silly jumpsuit and helmet, thinking he's in Top Gear....

Though I do second his request to calm down.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”