Pittsburgh 2011

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
User avatar
Albatross
Posts: 344
Joined: Wed Jun 03, 2009 5:30 pm

Re: Pittsburgh 2011

Postby Albatross » Thu Dec 16, 2010 1:47 pm

Went complete yesterday.

jacob_c84
Posts: 48
Joined: Wed Dec 01, 2010 9:40 am

Re: Pittsburgh 2011

Postby jacob_c84 » Thu Dec 16, 2010 2:18 pm

Gemini Hopeful wrote:
Barbie wrote:
VTOrange19 wrote:Pitt is my #1 choice; I have connections with some biglaw there and absolutely love the city. I am applying in January after I see my second LSAT score (took it in December to see if I could bump up into a certain SEC school), but will my chances be any different at that point in the cycle as opposed to now?

GPA - 3.33
LSAT - 162

I am in the 25-75% split, but will the chances be less because of the large number of other people with presumably close numbers keep me out? I need Pitt, I want Pitt.


apply with current #s. now Yesterday.
Apply now and hook me up with your big-law connection :)

User avatar
AVBucks4239
Posts: 870
Joined: Wed Feb 10, 2010 11:37 pm

Re: Pittsburgh 2011

Postby AVBucks4239 » Fri Dec 17, 2010 3:34 pm

Just got my acceptance letter in the mail today! Very excited. Still need to hear back from OSU, Case, and Indiana, but Pitt is in the lead for law schools that I've already been admitted into.

For those who are wondering, I was RD and sent in my application on 10/6.

User avatar
kk19131
Posts: 1054
Joined: Tue Jun 08, 2010 7:08 pm

Re: Pittsburgh 2011

Postby kk19131 » Fri Dec 17, 2010 7:00 pm

My letter hasn't come yet.... :(

User avatar
brochocinco
Posts: 60
Joined: Wed Mar 24, 2010 11:47 am

Re: Pittsburgh 2011

Postby brochocinco » Fri Dec 17, 2010 7:09 pm

kk19131 wrote:My letter hasn't come yet.... :(


Me either.. And I'm only 90 miles away.

makingwaves
Posts: 115
Joined: Sat Nov 21, 2009 11:04 am

Re: Pittsburgh 2011

Postby makingwaves » Fri Dec 17, 2010 7:16 pm

Got my letter today... Scholarship info came in the letter, in case anybody is wondering. :D Congrats all!

User avatar
Spinozist21
Posts: 522
Joined: Fri Mar 26, 2010 11:23 am

Re: Pittsburgh 2011

Postby Spinozist21 » Fri Dec 17, 2010 9:10 pm

makingwaves wrote:Got my letter today... Scholarship info came in the letter, in case anybody is wondering. :D Congrats all!

What were your numbers and scholly amount if I may ask.

User avatar
northwood
Posts: 4872
Joined: Fri May 14, 2010 7:29 pm

Re: Pittsburgh 2011

Postby northwood » Fri Dec 17, 2010 9:34 pm

those that heard of a decision, how long were you under review? every time I see someone post a decision, I check my status, and its still the same.. under review.

dreakol
Posts: 572
Joined: Sat Nov 13, 2010 1:56 pm

Re: Pittsburgh 2011

Postby dreakol » Sun Dec 19, 2010 12:56 am

got the letter today with $$$ info.

14k a year w/ 3.67 169 (oos)

is there a proper way to ask for more? I would definitely attend pitt but not at this price ITE.

User avatar
Spinozist21
Posts: 522
Joined: Fri Mar 26, 2010 11:23 am

Re: Pittsburgh 2011

Postby Spinozist21 » Sun Dec 19, 2010 1:24 am

dreakol wrote:got the letter today with $$$ info.

14k a year w/ 3.67 169 (oos)

is there a proper way to ask for more? I would definitely attend pitt but not at this price ITE.


They must be VERY stingy with money...I mean your numbers BLOW AWAY their 75ths (atleast GPA wise).

User avatar
Gemini
Posts: 1943
Joined: Thu Mar 11, 2010 9:23 pm

Re: Pittsburgh 2011

Postby Gemini » Sun Dec 19, 2010 1:33 am

dreakol wrote:got the letter today with $$$ info.

14k a year w/ 3.67 169 (oos)

is there a proper way to ask for more? I would definitely attend pitt but not at this price ITE.


Call them and tell them that you want to attend their school but school X (which is higher ranked) is giving you more money. Ask them if there's anyway to negotiate scholarship money. Just strongly state your interest in attending Pitt and good luck.

dreakol
Posts: 572
Joined: Sat Nov 13, 2010 1:56 pm

Re: Pittsburgh 2011

Postby dreakol » Sun Dec 19, 2010 1:39 am

That sounds that a good idea.

I remember reading on here that pitt was a "spread the wealth" type school but it is worth a shot.

Was born in Upper St. Clair and would love to move back to the area.

AKenter
Posts: 40
Joined: Sat Dec 04, 2010 9:17 pm

Re: Pittsburgh 2011

Postby AKenter » Sun Dec 19, 2010 2:00 am

I just sent out my application tonight. I can tell that I am pretty late in sending it compared to most of you who have expressed interest. Anyway, I really like the looks of Pitt and think that it might be the one for me. I am a little nervous about being late though...

User avatar
OGR3
Posts: 881
Joined: Wed Dec 23, 2009 6:56 pm

Re: Pittsburgh 2011

Postby OGR3 » Sun Dec 19, 2010 9:53 am

dreakol wrote:That sounds that a good idea.

I remember reading on here that pitt was a "spread the wealth" type school but it is worth a shot.

Was born in Upper St. Clair and would love to move back to the area.


They are definitely a school that tries to give out lots of scholarships, even if they're for not as much money. It never hurts to try to get more though. If they're one of your top schools, tell them, and tell them why, but explain that cost is going to be a significant factor. You can use other schools as a bargaining chip, but don't act like you're God's gift to law schools. I would actually advise you to email them rather than call, it's a great way to think through your request rather than getting caught off guard by something someone says and coming across poorly.

Keep in mind, it's possible to petition for and get in-state tuition, even during your first year if your reasons are compelling enough. That's what I did, and it's like I went from a $12,000 scholarship to a $20,000 scholarship overnight.

User avatar
OGR3
Posts: 881
Joined: Wed Dec 23, 2009 6:56 pm

Re: Pittsburgh 2011

Postby OGR3 » Sun Dec 19, 2010 10:00 am

AKenter wrote:I just sent out my application tonight. I can tell that I am pretty late in sending it compared to most of you who have expressed interest. Anyway, I really like the looks of Pitt and think that it might be the one for me. I am a little nervous about being late though...


You're most definitely not late.

I have friends who applied in January/February and got in with $.

AKenter
Posts: 40
Joined: Sat Dec 04, 2010 9:17 pm

Re: Pittsburgh 2011

Postby AKenter » Sun Dec 19, 2010 12:07 pm

OGR3 wrote:
AKenter wrote:I just sent out my application tonight. I can tell that I am pretty late in sending it compared to most of you who have expressed interest. Anyway, I really like the looks of Pitt and think that it might be the one for me. I am a little nervous about being late though...


You're most definitely not late.

I have friends who applied in January/February and got in with $.


Thanks, I hope not. What I am worried about though is that if I am accepted it might be after February 1st and so I might miss out on the 10,000 dollar Dean's Scholarship despite having the requirements. I just took way to long working out my personal statement.

User avatar
kk19131
Posts: 1054
Joined: Tue Jun 08, 2010 7:08 pm

Re: Pittsburgh 2011

Postby kk19131 » Sun Dec 19, 2010 12:10 pm

I'm going to have tuition, fees, and books paid for + $12,000 from Pitt...

User avatar
Barbie
Posts: 3746
Joined: Mon Jun 07, 2010 8:51 pm

Re: Pittsburgh 2011

Postby Barbie » Sun Dec 19, 2010 12:14 pm

kk19131 wrote:I'm going to have tuition, fees, and books paid for + $12,000 from Pitt...


It said this in your letter?

My letter still hasn't come. Sad :(

User avatar
kk19131
Posts: 1054
Joined: Tue Jun 08, 2010 7:08 pm

Re: Pittsburgh 2011

Postby kk19131 » Sun Dec 19, 2010 12:16 pm

Barbie wrote:
kk19131 wrote:I'm going to have tuition, fees, and books paid for + $12,000 from Pitt...


It said this in your letter?

My letter still hasn't come. Sad :(



Pitt will pretty much be free for me... although I really want to go to Illinois, I don't know if I can choose debt over free...

User avatar
Barbie
Posts: 3746
Joined: Mon Jun 07, 2010 8:51 pm

Re: Pittsburgh 2011

Postby Barbie » Sun Dec 19, 2010 12:18 pm

kk19131 wrote:
Barbie wrote:
kk19131 wrote:I'm going to have tuition, fees, and books paid for + $12,000 from Pitt...


It said this in your letter?

My letter still hasn't come. Sad :(



Pitt will pretty much be free for me... although I really want to go to Illinois, I don't know if I can choose debt over free...


But, did it say it in your letter..? :D

User avatar
kk19131
Posts: 1054
Joined: Tue Jun 08, 2010 7:08 pm

Re: Pittsburgh 2011

Postby kk19131 » Sun Dec 19, 2010 12:19 pm

I didn't pull the numbers out of thin air. :?

User avatar
Barbie
Posts: 3746
Joined: Mon Jun 07, 2010 8:51 pm

Re: Pittsburgh 2011

Postby Barbie » Sun Dec 19, 2010 12:39 pm

kk19131 wrote:I didn't pull the numbers out of thin air. :?


Don't get an attititude with me because you didnt answer the question :? . There are tons of ways you could have found out. Emails and phone calls are VERY popular. hth <3

User avatar
kk19131
Posts: 1054
Joined: Tue Jun 08, 2010 7:08 pm

Re: Pittsburgh 2011

Postby kk19131 » Sun Dec 19, 2010 12:41 pm

Barbie wrote:
kk19131 wrote:I didn't pull the numbers out of thin air. :?


Don't get an attititude with me because you didnt answer the question :? . There are tons of ways you could have found out. Emails and phone calls are VERY popular. hth <3



I'm sorry. The $12000 "tuition scholarship" is in the letter. I found out about the full scholarship from a dean at my school. :oops:

User avatar
Albatross
Posts: 344
Joined: Wed Jun 03, 2009 5:30 pm

Re: Pittsburgh 2011

Postby Albatross » Sun Dec 19, 2010 2:06 pm

I'm really hoping to hear from Pitt soon. What has the turnaround time been for Pitt for most of you? By that I mean from the time of Complete to Decision.

User avatar
brochocinco
Posts: 60
Joined: Wed Mar 24, 2010 11:47 am

Re: Pittsburgh 2011

Postby brochocinco » Sun Dec 19, 2010 2:21 pm

Complete 11/11 and Decision 12/13. You're looking at about a month, possibly more.




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], MSNbot Media and 4 guests