Pittsburgh 2011

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
pjo

Re: Pittsburgh 2011

Postby pjo » Wed Oct 27, 2010 3:52 pm

Applied to Pitt RD back in September and I visited the school in late September. Numbers wise it's a sefety for me but it's in my top 5. It sucks that they're kind of stingy about amounts of scholarship but it's cool that they try to give out a little to a lot of people. I just can't see myself payign full price for anywhere, so I'm leaning towards schools in regions I'm familiar with, seem like they have a decent market, and scholarship.
And btw to the above poster, Case DOES have a status checker.

pjo

Postby pjo » Wed Oct 27, 2010 3:59 pm

Spinozist21 wrote:
HeavenWood wrote:
nphsbuckeye wrote:I'll apply after taking the December LSAT (that is, unless I absolutely murder the LSAT). I don't know if I'd want to call Pittsburgh home, but I wouldn't mind going to school there.

Be forewarned: Pitt is a strong regional school, but doesn't have much reach outside greater Pittsburgh.

It is nice, though, that Pittsburgh has 4 top 250 law firms...and for the size of the metropolitan area that is fairly significant.

Also, there are some ways you can get out of Pitt and into larger legal markets...specifically health law and work with UPMC

BTW...does ANYONE know if you get a status checker from Pitt? Or how long it takes them to get that to you?

Pittsburgh may have 4 firms in the NLJ 250, but neither Jones Day or Pepper Hamilton are headquarted out of Pittsburgh so they hire only small amounts for the Pittsburgh office. Same goes for other Philly HQ firms like Morgan Lewis, Bockius. Although I think Schnader Harrison is fairly well split in turns of hiring btwn Phila and Pitt.Clearly though Reed Smith and K&L Gates are the best (maybe only) chance of working biglaw in Pittsburgh.

brochocinco

Postby brochocinco » Thu Nov 04, 2010 9:40 am

Applied today, non-ED. Any former applicants know how long it will be until we hear something back?

OGR3

Postby OGR3 » Thu Nov 04, 2010 11:09 am

brochocinco wrote:Applied today, non-ED. Any former applicants know how long it will be until we hear something back?

I applied about this time last year and heard back in mid-December.

Gemini

Postby Gemini » Thu Nov 04, 2010 12:27 pm

OGR3 wrote:
brochocinco wrote:Applied today, non-ED. Any former applicants know how long it will be until we hear something back?

We have a UPitt student here! Tell us how the law school experience is! Are you looking for summer jobs yet?

HeavenWood

Postby HeavenWood » Thu Nov 04, 2010 2:43 pm

It's ironic that of the first 16 applications I sent out, all went smoothly with the exception of Pitt. It took a few phone calls to Pitt and LSAC to get everything sorted out.

OGR3

Postby OGR3 » Thu Nov 04, 2010 3:18 pm

HeavenWood wrote:It's ironic that of the first 16 applications I sent out, all went smoothly with the exception of Pitt. It took a few phone calls to Pitt and LSAC to get everything sorted out.

The initial application is a pain in the ass, but once you get everything in, that's when the strength of the admissions office really kicks in. Allie, the director of admissions is amazing, and she's alway willing to help with any questions you may have.

HeavenWood

Postby HeavenWood » Thu Nov 04, 2010 3:19 pm

OGR3 wrote:
HeavenWood wrote:It's ironic that of the first 16 applications I sent out, all went smoothly with the exception of Pitt. It took a few phone calls to Pitt and LSAC to get everything sorted out.

The initial application is a pain in the ass, but once you get everything in, that's when the strength of the admissions office really kicks in. Allie, the director of admissions is amazing, and she's alway willing to help with any questions you may have.

How long until I hear back, you think? It would make my cycle a lot less stressful to have an acceptance w/$$$ early on.

OGR3

Postby OGR3 » Thu Nov 04, 2010 3:26 pm

Gemini Hopeful wrote:
OGR3 wrote:

We have a UPitt student here! Tell us how the law school experience is! Are you looking for summer jobs yet?

I love it so far. Everyone's really friendly and there's about an even split between Pennsylvanians and out-of-staters. Pittsburgh's an awesome city and I've had a lot of time to explore the area.

We just had our first meeting with the Career Services Office, and I'm not too worried about finding something to do over summer, though I'm not expecting to get compensated for whatever I do.

HeavenWood wrote:
OGR3 wrote:

How long until I hear back, you think? It would make my cycle a lot less stressful to have an acceptance w/$$$ early on.

I'd say it wouldn't be outside the realm of possibility to not hear back before January. That said, it'd probably be closer to Mid-December. Also, if you don't get money initially, that doesn't mean there isn't any there! There's a lot of people in my class that got sizable scholarships from nothing because they negotiated.

HeavenWood

Postby HeavenWood » Thu Nov 04, 2010 3:28 pm

OGR3 wrote:
Gemini Hopeful wrote:
OGR3 wrote:

I love it so far. Everyone's really friendly and there's about an even split between Pennsylvanians and out-of-staters. Pittsburgh's an awesome city and I've had a lot of time to explore the area.

We just had our first meeting with the Career Services Office, and I'm not too worried about finding something to do over summer, though I'm not expecting to get compensated for whatever I do.

HeavenWood wrote:
OGR3 wrote:

I'd say it wouldn't be outside the realm of possibility to not hear back before January. That said, it'd probably be closer to Mid-December. Also, if you don't get money initially, that doesn't mean there isn't any there! There's a lot of people in my class that got sizable scholarships from nothing because they negotiated.

Supposedly, because I'm a UG, and I have an LSAT above 161 and GPA above 3.4, I'm guaranteed money. Is that true?

OGR3

Postby OGR3 » Thu Nov 04, 2010 3:53 pm

HeavenWood wrote:Supposedly, because I'm a UG, and I have an LSAT above 161 and GPA above 3.4, I'm guaranteed money. Is that true?

Yeah. You should get a scholarship offer of at least $10,000 per year.

http://www.law.pitt.edu/financialaid/scholarships

Barbie

Postby Barbie » Thu Nov 04, 2010 6:10 pm

OGR3 wrote:
HeavenWood wrote:Supposedly, because I'm a UG, and I have an LSAT above 161 and GPA above 3.4, I'm guaranteed money. Is that true?

What about 163/3.3 :(

HeavenWood

Postby HeavenWood » Thu Nov 04, 2010 6:31 pm

Barbie wrote:
OGR3 wrote:

What about 163/3.3 :(

You should be in Pitt without any problem. If they're smart, they'll give you money, because you'll probably also get in Pitt's peer schools, as well as some better ones.

You like Pittsburgh?

Gumby

Postby Gumby » Thu Nov 04, 2010 6:41 pm

applied to pitt about a week ago.

taylor gang or die

jack duluoz

Postby jack duluoz » Thu Nov 04, 2010 6:48 pm

kartal wrote:
dissonance1848 wrote:Also, beware of the Dusquense Mafia. They have more power than you imagine.....

Can you elaborate on this Dusquense Mafia business? What do you mean?

Don't think Pitt entirely owns the legal market. There is a large number of prominent attorneys and judges in the area that went to Duquesne, and will hire Duquesne grads over Pitt.

btw, 1L here, too.

i noticed there's about 4 of us in this thread. lol.

Barbie

Postby Barbie » Thu Nov 04, 2010 6:51 pm

HeavenWood wrote:
Barbie wrote:What about 163/3.3 :(

You should be in Pitt without any problem. If they're smart, they'll give you money, because you'll probably also get in Pitt's peer schools, as well as some better ones.

You like Pittsburgh?

I did like it when I lived there.. but I would def have to visit because it was back when I couldn't drink or even drive legally haha. I wouldn't be able to justify it without some decent $ though :(

swan87

Postby swan87 » Thu Nov 04, 2010 7:05 pm

What about 159/3.7? Are there any chances of receiving money from Pitt with those numbers or should I consider a February retake?

brochocinco

Postby brochocinco » Thu Nov 04, 2010 8:56 pm

swan87 wrote:What about 159/3.7? Are there any chances of receiving money from Pitt with those numbers or should I consider a February retake?

Similarly, what about 158/3.89? $$ chances?

mhd08

Postby mhd08 » Thu Nov 04, 2010 8:56 pm

jack duluoz wrote:
kartal wrote:
dissonance1848 wrote:Also, beware of the Dusquense Mafia. They have more power than you imagine.....

Can you elaborate on this Dusquense Mafia business? What do you mean?

Don't think Pitt entirely owns the legal market. There is a large number of prominent attorneys and judges in the area that went to Duquesne, and will hire Duquesne grads over Pitt.

btw, 1L here, too.

i noticed there's about 4 of us in this thread. lol.

I'm a 1L, too... although I'm not sure which 1L you are. You're one of the two mystery members on our Facebook page.

mhd08

Postby mhd08 » Thu Nov 04, 2010 8:57 pm

brochocinco wrote:
swan87 wrote:What about 159/3.7? Are there any chances of receiving money from Pitt with those numbers or should I consider a February retake?

Similarly, what about 158/3.89? $$ chances?

I would think your GPAs should make up for your LSATs, considering they're not that far off what's required for the scholly. Don't take my word for it, though.

BarbellDreams

Postby BarbellDreams » Thu Nov 04, 2010 9:57 pm

If either the LSAT or GPA is way above the minimum required for the scholarship you will still get it.

The deal with Pitt is simple, if you're ok with the possibility of having to work in Pittsburgh after graduation and are ok with knowing that there is about a 2% chance you're getting paid internships, this is the school for you.

brochocinco

Postby brochocinco » Fri Nov 05, 2010 7:20 am

BarbellDreams wrote:If either the LSAT or GPA is way above the minimum required for the scholarship you will still get it.

The deal with Pitt is simple, if you're ok with the possibility of having to work in Pittsburgh after graduation and are ok with knowing that there is about a 2% chance you're getting paid internships, this is the school for you.

Thanks for the help. I was looking at their medians and I saw I was a little below their LSAT while well above their GPA. Just praying for an offset here.

I am definitely okay with working in Pittsburgh. Although the unpaid internship wouldn't be ideal, anything to get my foot in A door.

BarbellDreams

Postby BarbellDreams » Fri Nov 05, 2010 7:15 pm

Paid internships are very very rare unless you're top 10% or better. I have not met a single 2L that had one last summer so far. I mean its basically Reed & Smith, K&L Gates, a few midlaw firms, and thats about it in terms of who will actually pay you.

pjo

Postby pjo » Fri Nov 05, 2010 8:20 pm

BarbellDreams wrote:Paid internships are very very rare unless you're top 10% or better. I have not met a single 2L that had one last summer so far. I mean its basically Reed & Smith, K&L Gates, a few midlaw firms, and thats about it in terms of who will actually pay you.

I know a 2L at Pitt who had a pretty good paid internship at a 30-50 atty firm last summer (i.e. his 1L). He's on law review, but the thing is he got the offer before grades were even posted for the first semester. He also had another offer for a paid summer position that he turned down (also offered pre-first semester grades). If you go in thinking that the only firms that pay are Reed Smith, k&L Gates, Schnader, Cohen & Grigsby --etc., then chances are you will NOT get a paid summer poisition. You really have to look for them and then send them taylored cover letters. Several smaller firms in and around the city offer paid summer internships to 1L's, not to mention a few companies and non-profits
Last edited by pjo on Fri Nov 05, 2010 8:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

kk19131

Postby kk19131 » Fri Nov 05, 2010 8:34 pm

I applied in September... and after the initial message from the school... nothing else.

I'm not a big fan of schools that don't have status checkers...

But, if I get into Pitt I will most certainly go for free...

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”