Pittsburgh 2011

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
gin

Re: Pittsburgh 2011

Postby gin » Sun Jun 12, 2011 1:25 am

Sorry bport, the guy has still not emailed me anything even though I talked to him friday and sent him a third email

northwood

Postby northwood » Sun Jun 12, 2011 2:24 pm

Bport and Gin- one of my biggest issues with leasing companies is getting them to respond to emails and phone calls. Especiallly towards the end of the week. They seem pretty laxidasical about responding, and I think alot of them mentally check out fridays after noon- or physically leave for the weekend. Just keep calling htem on monday and tuesday. You may be a thorn in their side, but this is a big decision and you need to fully evaluate it. Remember- if they dont return your inquiries now, when they should be courting you to sign a lease, what will they do and how will they respond to you when soemthing goes wrong and you need them to fix soemthing or handle an issue with the apt?

just something to keep in the back of your mind

BarbellDreams

Postby BarbellDreams » Sun Jun 12, 2011 7:03 pm

The drywall on my ceiling in the bathroom has crumpled 2 months ago...Lobos Management is still saying its "on their worklist"...

reverendt

Postby reverendt » Mon Jun 13, 2011 12:12 am

I would recommend staying away from leasing companies. I don't know why everybody seems to use them.
I found my place on craigslist, in an ad posted by my landlord.
I've been living here for 3 years and couldn't be happier.

balzern

Postby balzern » Tue Jun 14, 2011 8:56 am

Anyone thinking about buying season tickets for Pitt football / basketball. Their football team has a new coach so maybe (hopefully) they will be better this year. A win against Notre Dame would be cool at home...they have a pretty good basketball team though. They are usually in the Big East finals and are an NCAA tournament perennial.

gin

Postby gin » Tue Jun 14, 2011 2:00 pm

I don't know if I wanna buy the season tickets since I don't know what to expect just yet and how busy I will be. I would really like to go to some football games.
On a semi related note, do you guys know if we get a student discount for steelers games?

bport hopeful

Postby bport hopeful » Tue Jun 14, 2011 2:05 pm

gin wrote:I don't know if I wanna buy the season tickets since I don't know what to expect just yet and how busy I will be. I would really like to go to some football games.
On a semi related note, do you guys know if we get a student discount for steelers games?

I dont think so, but I really have no idea. But it seems like theres too many students in the city for that to be profitable.

My uncles company has season tickets at the Petersons Event Center. My understanding is that no one ever uses them, so im excited for that.

mhd08

Postby mhd08 » Tue Jun 14, 2011 2:30 pm

gin wrote:I don't know if I wanna buy the season tickets since I don't know what to expect just yet and how busy I will be. I would really like to go to some football games.

No student discount.

balzern

Postby balzern » Tue Jun 14, 2011 3:14 pm

I would really like to go to the Pitt ND game...

BarbellDreams

Postby BarbellDreams » Tue Jun 14, 2011 9:07 pm

I bought season tickets for football last year and went to 1 and a half games. Unless you find a group that are diehard college football fans I don't see you going to too many with the 1L year pressure on. ($25 for just the Miami game was worth it for me though). There are no student season basketball tickets as far as I know.

OGR3

Postby OGR3 » Wed Jun 15, 2011 6:58 pm

BarbellDreams wrote:I bought season tickets for football last year and went to 1 and a half games. Unless you find a group that are diehard college football fans I don't see you going to too many with the 1L year pressure on. ($25 for just the Miami game was worth it for me though). There are no student season basketball tickets as far as I know.

There aren't. It's an online lottery system that gives preference to those who attend more sports events. It's pretty easy to get tickets to the early nonconference games, but it can be pretty difficult to get tickets to a late season rivalry game. That said, tickets are only $5 a piece and the games are unbelievable. I went to a bunch of games last year.

kartal

Postby kartal » Fri Jun 17, 2011 6:32 pm

balzern wrote:So where is everyone looking to live? Anyone in the Highland Park area with the lions and me?

I wouldn't consider Highland Park - far away from campus and you drive/ride through some shady areas.

Look at the Carlyle Arms and Kennilworth Apartments at the intersection of Centre & Negley in Shadyside. Excellent location; many bus routes including Pitt's own shuttle, right across Giant Eagle supermarket, and only couple blocks from Walnut and Ellsworth which are the heart of Shadyside. Both have very good managers; Wayne (Carlyle Arms) and Jodi (Kennilworth). Of course, every building gets some bad reviews, but given how old the buildings are in Pittsburgh nothing will be in perfect shape.

northwood

Postby northwood » Fri Jun 17, 2011 8:23 pm

where are some places that people would recommend for food, and drinks( either together or separate) in shadyside? Im going to be renting near winterburn ave- so anywhere within walking distance would be ideal.

Dr. Review

Postby Dr. Review » Fri Jun 17, 2011 11:45 pm

kartal wrote:
balzern wrote:So where is everyone looking to live? Anyone in the Highland Park area with the lions and me?

I wouldn't consider Highland Park - far away from campus and you drive/ride through some shady areas.

Look at the Carlyle Arms and Kennilworth Apartments at the intersection of Centre & Negley in Shadyside. Excellent location; many bus routes including Pitt's own shuttle, right across Giant Eagle supermarket, and only couple blocks from Walnut and Ellsworth which are the heart of Shadyside. Both have very good managers; Wayne (Carlyle Arms) and Jodi (Kennilworth). Of course, every building gets some bad reviews, but given how old the buildings are in Pittsburgh nothing will be in perfect shape.

I live at the Kennilworth. Jodi is pretty good, and I can't overstate how convenient the bus routes are. Within a 2-3 minute walk from the apartment, I can catch at least 4 different bus routes to school and probably another 4-5 to downtown (some of the school routes go all the way downtown). Bus to school is about 10 minutes, same for downtown.

My one caveat about where I live though is that my place is a bit smaller than I was used to before I moved to Pittsburgh, but not so small that it bothers me or my gf. Parking/power/water/trash are all lumped in with living for a reasonable price. Rent just went up a tad, but I was paying $735 for that, so now it'll be $760 for that a month. I've been here a year and I renewed, so I'll be here another.

balzern

Postby balzern » Mon Jun 20, 2011 9:07 am

kartal wrote:

I actually know someone who lives in Highland Park and loves it. I am going to be at the Parklane at least for next year. It is a bit farther away from campus than some areas, but I really like the area I am at. There are some sketch places closer towards East Lib but I am pretty much in the park itself which is the nicer part of the neighborhood.

HOPEFORCHANGE

Postby HOPEFORCHANGE » Mon Jun 20, 2011 9:25 pm

I live in Regent Square and rent from Regent Square Rentals. I like it, but people who rent from them in the neighborhood keep telling me they're slumlords. I just guess they're disgruntled and I will form an opinion if I ever do or don't have a problem with the company. I haven't had a problem yet though and love my apartment. Regent Square really isn't too much further away from Pitt than Squirrell Hill. It's only a mile out and I can walk to Squirrell Hill in 20 minutes. It isn't inconvenient at all and at least you get a seat on the bus.

balzern

Postby balzern » Tue Jun 21, 2011 9:18 am

Does anyone know any good reasonably priced bars in Shadyside?

drs36

Postby drs36 » Tue Jun 21, 2011 9:25 am

They're all pretty reasonably priced. Doc's would be my recommendation, especially during the summer. You can find good specials everywhere. Cappy's has some good stuff, shadyside saloon is very reasonably priced. Shady Grove has half off bottles of wine on wednesdays. Drink much, drs36?

balzern

Postby balzern » Tue Jun 21, 2011 10:57 am

drs36 wrote:They're all pretty reasonably priced. Doc's would be my recommendation, especially during the summer. You can find good specials everywhere. Cappy's has some good stuff, shadyside saloon is very reasonably priced. Shady Grove has half off bottles of wine on wednesdays. Drink much, drs36?

haha thank you! I am from the greater Pittsburgh area but haven't spent much time scoping out bars - I live in the burbs. The Hoffbrahaus is pretty cool I have been there a few times. It is nice in the summer to sit outside.

warmweatherseeker

Postby warmweatherseeker » Fri Jun 24, 2011 10:24 pm

Has anybody heard/know from experience about UPitt owned housing? I've been offered an apartment on Atwood Street that is University owned. It seems to be in a really convenient location but I just don't know how good the apartment quality will be. I won't be able to see the unit for myself since I can't afford to fly out there this summer. Any advice would be much appreciated!

LeDique

Postby LeDique » Fri Jun 24, 2011 11:22 pm

Has anyone checked out the furry convention in town this weekend? I'll be back in town this weekend for a wedding as well. Hopefully gonna end up downtown for a couple drinks and furry laughin.

Dr. Review

Postby Dr. Review » Sat Jun 25, 2011 1:19 pm

LeDique wrote:Has anyone checked out the furry convention in town this weekend? I'll be back in town this weekend for a wedding as well. Hopefully gonna end up downtown for a couple drinks and furry laughin.

Anthrocon? Those people take it seriously. Be careful.

balzern

Postby balzern » Mon Jun 27, 2011 2:13 pm

So anyone know which section/block is the best? What are the good/bad profs in each?

gin

Postby gin » Mon Jun 27, 2011 2:25 pm

balzern wrote:So anyone know which section/block is the best? What are the good/bad profs in each?

BarbellDreams wrote:On a random note: Congrats to those in sections A and C in the upcoming year. While difficult to rank the two, they both have at least 3-4 great professors each for first semester. Tough luck section B, you guys get 1 rockstar, a cake writing class, and 3 "meh" professors in the other classes.

Other than that I have no idea

kroger03

Postby kroger03 » Mon Jun 27, 2011 2:36 pm

Looks like I'm in B. Anybody else on here know yet?

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”