Pittsburgh 2011

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
Scurredsitless1

Re: Pittsburgh 2011

Postby Scurredsitless1 » Sun May 08, 2011 9:12 am

BarbellDreams wrote:
swan87 wrote:What was his reason for leaving? Too much pressure?

He got a free year of salary without getting anyone any jobs and was worried that the school would eventually catch on and sue for fraud so he cut his losses.

I'm not a fan of the guy either, but I got my job through career services........ didn't you?

BarbellDreams

Postby BarbellDreams » Sun May 08, 2011 10:40 am

Scurredsitless1 wrote:
BarbellDreams wrote:
swan87 wrote:What was his reason for leaving? Too much pressure?

He got a free year of salary without getting anyone any jobs and was worried that the school would eventually catch on and sue for fraud so he cut his losses.

I'm not a fan of the guy either, but I got my job through career services........ didn't you?

You and I are the anomaly, not the rule with the CSO. For every one person that got a job through CSO there are at least 10 people that begged CSO for anything and they didnt help them. Hell, Riley told one guy to go back to his old job, and this was BEFORE grades came out. Also, I have Reciprocity from Loyola Chicago's law school so I can use their symplicity and let me just say although us and them are ranked similarly, they post about 5 times as many jobs as we ever do.

gin

Postby gin » Mon May 16, 2011 3:25 pm

Quick question: Do you guys have any recomendations on apartment buildings I should be looking at?

kartal

Postby kartal » Tue May 17, 2011 10:14 pm

gin wrote:Quick question: Do you guys have any recomendations on apartment buildings I should be looking at?

Carlyle Arms and Kennilworth - they are both at the intersection of Centre Ave & S. Negley in Shadyside. There are multiple bus options including both Port Authority and Pitt Shuttle from that location. Since they have the 45-60 day notice policy for their tenants, they are now becoming available for the August renting. Most of other apartments require 150-165 days notice and therefore most of them have already been rented out for August.

There are also couple 1BRs/studios available from Forbes Management in Friendship. However, these units are fairly small and there are not multiple bus line options unless you are willing to walk multiple blocks to reach a main artery like Centre Ave.

Franklin West has couple good apartment units available in Shadyside, but they are really expensive!

gin

Postby gin » Tue May 17, 2011 10:59 pm

kartal wrote:
gin wrote:Quick question: Do you guys have any recomendations on apartment buildings I should be looking at?

Carlyle Arms and Kennilworth - they are both at the intersection of Centre Ave & S. Negley in Shadyside. There are multiple bus options including both Port Authority and Pitt Shuttle from that location. Since they have the 45-60 day notice policy for their tenants, they are now becoming available for the August renting. Most of other apartments require 150-165 days notice and therefore most of them have already been rented out for August.

There are also couple 1BRs/studios available from Forbes Management in Friendship. However, these units are fairly small and there are not multiple bus line options unless you are willing to walk multiple blocks to reach a main artery like Centre Ave.

Franklin West has couple good apartment units available in Shadyside, but they are really expensive!

Thanks

balzern

Postby balzern » Fri May 20, 2011 3:41 pm

I found a decent apartment in Highland Park - about a 5 minute drive from Oakland. I have more sq. feet in my apartment than most Shadyside apartments for a cheaper price. Granted I am not in Shadyside, but I can suffer the 5 minute drive and save $$$ :P Also, I am right super close to the zoo - so if any of the first year classes stress me out, I may jump into the lion cage.

itsalyssa

Postby itsalyssa » Fri May 20, 2011 4:14 pm

in off the wait list as of today!!! quite possibly one of the most exciting things to ever happen to me!!!! sending in my seat deposit monday!! yayyyy

now whose looking for a roommate?! :)

gin

Postby gin » Sat May 21, 2011 2:28 am

balzern wrote:I found a decent apartment in Highland Park - about a 5 minute drive from Oakland. I have more sq. feet in my apartment than most Shadyside apartments for a cheaper price. Granted I am not in Shadyside, but I can suffer the 5 minute drive and save $$$ :P Also, I am right super close to the zoo - so if any of the first year classes stress me out, I may jump into the lion cage.

Haha make sure to tell me when you do so I can join you.
itsalyssa wrote:in off the wait list as of today!!! quite possibly one of the most exciting things to ever happen to me!!!! sending in my seat deposit monday!! yayyyy

now whose looking for a roommate?! :)

Congrats

BarbellDreams

Postby BarbellDreams » Sat May 21, 2011 2:55 am

On a random note: Congrats to those in sections A and C in the upcoming year. While difficult to rank the two, they both have at least 3-4 great professors each for first semester. Tough luck section B, you guys get 1 rockstar, a cake writing class, and 3 "meh" professors in the other classes.

drs36

Postby drs36 » Sat May 21, 2011 3:02 am

How/When do we know our sections?

mhd08

Postby mhd08 » Sat May 21, 2011 1:04 pm

drs36 wrote:How/When do we know our sections?

I believe they e-mailed us around the beginning of june last year with our section and schedule. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

You can look here at the fall schedule for the whole school, and first year classes are notated by section A, B or C ( btw it doesn't actually say 'section', it's a squiggly, 2 S looking symbol if you don't know, b/c I definitely didn't know when I started 1L) : http://www.law.pitt.edu/academics/courses/2121

That obviously doesn't help since you don't know your sections yet, but it gives you an idea of what your schedule might be.

mhd08

Postby mhd08 » Sat May 21, 2011 1:08 pm

BarbellDreams wrote:On a random note: Congrats to those in sections A and C in the upcoming year. While difficult to rank the two, they both have at least 3-4 great professors each for first semester. Tough luck section B, you guys get 1 rockstar, a cake writing class, and 3 "meh" professors in the other classes.

What, no Herring for anyone in the fall?! I can't decide if that's the worst or best thing ever.

reverendt

Postby reverendt » Sat May 21, 2011 3:20 pm

Why don't I see Legal Process listed?
Anyway, section C has John Burkoff and Harry Flechtner. You can't beat that!

mhd08

Postby mhd08 » Sat May 21, 2011 4:17 pm

reverendt wrote:Why don't I see Legal Process listed?

Process was replaced with Legislation and Regulation. I don't know how they're going to pack process and civ pro all into one civ pro class.

BarbellDreams

Postby BarbellDreams » Sat May 21, 2011 6:37 pm

mhd08 wrote:

Process was replaced with Legislation and Regulation. I don't know how they're going to pack process and civ pro all into one civ pro class.

A LOT of schools actually do this. Also keep in mind that they are making it a 4 credit class while both Process and Civ Pro were 3 credit classes.

In other words, congrats future 1L's. Starting next year you had 2 difficult classes replaced by: Legislation (aka Poli-sci 101) and Lawyering (who the hell knows what this is, but there is no final in it and you work in groups...unheard of for 1L). Forced curve so everyone gets this sweet deal, but at least the work will be much more simple and let you concentrate on the important classes.

OGR3

Postby OGR3 » Sat May 21, 2011 11:56 pm

BarbellDreams wrote:
mhd08 wrote:

A LOT of schools actually do this. Also keep in mind that they are making it a 4 credit class while both Process and Civ Pro were 3 credit classes.

In other words, congrats future 1L's. Starting next year you had 2 difficult classes replaced by: Legislation (aka Poli-sci 101) and Lawyering (who the hell knows what this is, but there is no final in it and you work in groups...unheard of for 1L). Forced curve so everyone gets this sweet deal, but at least the work will be much more simple and let you concentrate on the important classes.

I would imagine that legislation is going to be harder than you think.

BarbellDreams

Postby BarbellDreams » Sun May 22, 2011 11:59 am

OGR3 wrote:
BarbellDreams wrote:
mhd08 wrote:

I would imagine that legislation is going to be harder than you think.

Maybe. However:

This course has three main goals: first, to offer students an overall sense of how the legislative, administrative, and judicial arms of government interrelate in governing our society under a constitutional system of checks and balances; second, to familiarize them with the process of law-making and law-application as it is conducted in legislative bodies and in administrative agencies; and, third, to introduce them to the process of statutory interpretation both in theory and practice.

The first 2 objectives of the three are taken directly from poli sci classes.

OGR3

Postby OGR3 » Mon May 23, 2011 4:14 pm

BarbellDreams wrote:
This course has three main goals: first, to offer students an overall sense of how the legislative, administrative, and judicial arms of government interrelate in governing our society under a constitutional system of checks and balances; second, to familiarize them with the process of law-making and law-application as it is conducted in legislative bodies and in administrative agencies; and, third, to introduce them to the process of statutory interpretation both in theory and practice.

What's your point? I'd like to see you take a legislation course taught by Luneburg and try to keep up. This is Lawl School, not the criminology program at the local community college.

BarbellDreams

Postby BarbellDreams » Mon May 23, 2011 7:18 pm

OGR3 wrote:
BarbellDreams wrote:

What's your point? I'd like to see you take a legislation course taught by Luneburg and try to keep up. This is Lawl School, not the criminology program at the local community college.

Point is if you're a poli sci major (statistically 65% of law students are) you will have an easier time with Legislation than you did with, oh I don't know, legal Process. I would have gladly made that trade.

reverendt

Postby reverendt » Mon May 23, 2011 9:04 pm

BarbellDreams wrote:
OGR3 wrote:
BarbellDreams wrote:

Point is if you're a poli sci major (statistically 65% of law students are) you will have an easier time with Legislation than you did with, oh I don't know, legal Process. I would have gladly made that trade.

I disagree on several points.
The majority of my classmates were history majors. There were a few English, a few poly sci, and some math/science/computers. But the poly-sci people were a fairly small minority.
Beyond that....as noted above, a bachelor's in poly-sci isn't gonna do much at all for you when Luneburg is giving you the business. He was hard enough to keep up with as a second-semester 2L.

Dr. Review

Postby Dr. Review » Mon May 23, 2011 9:17 pm

kartal wrote:

I live in the Kennilworth, and I like it. As for the Carlyle Arms, I heard from a couple of students that there were roaches. Might want to verify that, don't just take my word for it.

bport hopeful

Postby bport hopeful » Wed May 25, 2011 11:36 am

Did anyone else get an email about their financial aid awards? I have a few questions.

To accept the maximum stafford loans you just go to studentloans.gov and fill the application out, but you cant accept the Federal Graduate PLUS loan yet, right?

Can the PLUS loan be adjusted to include things like a computer?

I guess I felt like I had more questions, that were more pressing, and that I pretty much know the answers to.

warmweatherseeker

Postby warmweatherseeker » Wed May 25, 2011 12:09 pm

I just decided at the last minute to attend Pitt for law school! I'm so excited but am so behind on apartment hunting. I'm probably not going to have a car... any suggestions?

balzern

Postby balzern » Wed May 25, 2011 12:16 pm

warmweatherseeker wrote:I just decided at the last minute to attend Pitt for law school! I'm so excited but am so behind on apartment hunting. I'm probably not going to have a car... any suggestions?

Most live in Shadyside and the surrounding neighborhoods. I found a great apartment in Highland Park for a reasonable price, and their are two bus stops right outside my building. We get free transportation via the Port Authority - good deal because parking in Oakland can be rediculous. I am from the greater Pittsburgh area so PM me if you have any questions, I might be able to help.

reverendt

Postby reverendt » Wed May 25, 2011 1:39 pm

warmweatherseeker wrote:I just decided at the last minute to attend Pitt for law school! I'm so excited but am so behind on apartment hunting. I'm probably not going to have a car... any suggestions?

With no car you want to be:
1) Near a busline
2) Near a grocery store
3) In a generally walkable neighborhood

Squirrel Hill would probably be a good place to start. Parts of Oakland are ok (generally the parts farthest from the school!)
Shadyside is nice but overpriced.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”