Pittsburgh 2011

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
joeshmo39

Re: Pittsburgh 2011

Postby joeshmo39 » Wed Apr 27, 2011 12:33 am

kartal wrote:
OGR3 wrote:
Nanosoft wrote:
Stay away from Mozart Property Management.

Can you or any other Pitt Law student explain what the issue is with Mozart Management? What are the people's experience with them? It looks like that they have a large selection.

I also would like to know how the Frick Park neighborhood is. It looks like that the rents there are reasonable Is it on the bus route? Is there a shopping center around there?

I was a Pitt Undergrad and I lived in a Mozart Apartment on Dithridge from 2008-2009. It was fine. The building was old, but it had a courtyard in the middle with a fountain, which was nice, and it was fairly roomy. The kitchen I had was really small, but the living room and bedroom were a good size. Besides, all the layouts are different. I never had trouble with bugs or maintenance or any common apartment complex issues. Obviously some people will fare worse than others. I know a guy who lived in the back of that apartment, away from Center in the corner, and his place was broken into while he was away and some of his electronics were stolen like is laptop. I never had any issues.

reverendt

Postby reverendt » Wed Apr 27, 2011 12:36 am

kartal wrote:
I also would like to know how the Frick Park neighborhood is. It looks like that the rents there are reasonable Is it on the bus route? Is there a shopping center around there?

There is no actual "Frick Park" neighborhood. Frick Park is surrounded by Squirrel Hill on one side and Regent Square on the other. Both of them are really nice neighborhoods, with buslines that go to Pitt running down the main roads. Squirrel Hill has all the shopping that you need on the 2 main roads. Regent Square has a small, kinda funky (in a good way) business district, and then a big shopping center across the highway in Edgewood.

Nanosoft

Postby Nanosoft » Wed Apr 27, 2011 10:48 am

kartal wrote:
OGR3 wrote:
Nanosoft wrote:
Stay away from Mozart Property Management.

Can you or any other Pitt Law student explain what the issue is with Mozart Management? What are the people's experience with them? It looks like that they have a large selection.

I took the advice that was given to me in this thread after I read this : http://www.apartmentratings.com/rate/PA ... ement.html

I actually had a meeting scheduled to view some apartments, that morning however I found this link...cancelled those appointments, and ended up getting a place from some nice people.

28 percent rating, 155 reviews. They sound horrible, even if their places look nice. I actually called and confirmed that they make you decide on renewing your lease in January/February too...horrid. You've gotta people more time then that. And the stuff with "inspections" and fines and the like? So glad I found my residence elsewhere. Of course, it's a website, and people are probably more likely to hop on a website with a bad review then a good one, but they still sound like bad landlords to me.

BarbellDreams

Postby BarbellDreams » Wed Apr 27, 2011 11:13 am

The biggest problem with Mozart apartments is the fact that they have "random inspections" where they have the right to walk in at any time with no notice and make sure you're living a "clean lifestyle". Yes, I am serious :)

gin

Postby gin » Wed Apr 27, 2011 1:55 pm

Anyone have any experience with Sterling Land Comp.?

HOPEFORCHANGE

Postby HOPEFORCHANGE » Wed Apr 27, 2011 2:51 pm

What's the rule about "walking right in"? I know they own the property, but isn't there some sort of law that prevents landlords from now giving you prior notice about maintenance, etc.? Unless of course there is some sort of search warrant involved. So, basically, no matter where you live, as long as you don't own the place the landlords/maintenance came come in whenever? So much for watching TV in your underwear.

HOPEFORCHANGE

Postby HOPEFORCHANGE » Wed Apr 27, 2011 3:09 pm

"Quiet enjoyment is the right to peaceful possession of the property you leased. Generally, a landlord cannot interfere with your possession and use of the property by harassing you in person or by telephone or by entering or allowing others to enter your apartment without reasonable notice and for legitimate purpose such as repairs, emergencies, or showing the apartment to prospective tenants. In addition, a landlord cannot withhold utilities or deny access by changing the locks. If a landlord does these things, you should advise him or her of your concerns in writing and in person. If the condition continues, you may complain to governmental authorities or seek court action to prohibit the action or to terminate the lease agreement."

--LinkRemoved--

Just remember to read the lease and don't sign your rights away...

BarbellDreams

Postby BarbellDreams » Wed Apr 27, 2011 4:21 pm

Its in the lease, you sign the lease, you agree. Don't like it? Don't sign the lease. I have heard that SOMETIMES landlords are willing cross out a certain part of the lease if you ask them to, say you wont sign if they dont, and they really need tenants. Just remember that when you sign a lease you are actually agreeing to this (minus a few unenforceable clauses each lease is bound to have. Mine has 2!).

HOPEFORCHANGE

Postby HOPEFORCHANGE » Wed Apr 27, 2011 5:19 pm

Unless of course there is a non-waiver of rights section in a relevant statute.. I will never sign my right away to make them call me first before they enter my apartment unless there is a big emergency. It is going too far and there are certain things my now deceased mother gave me that I couldn't afford to have some unscrupulous maintenance worker steal. But, yeah, definitely listen to what Barbell said. I put a deposit down on an apartment and am waiting for official approval and am hoping there isn't something that will make me have to walk away....

bport hopeful

Postby bport hopeful » Thu Apr 28, 2011 12:45 am

Got my scholly today, Ill be attending.

kartal

Postby kartal » Thu Apr 28, 2011 3:16 pm

reverendt wrote:
kartal wrote:

There is no actual "Frick Park" neighborhood. Frick Park is surrounded by Squirrel Hill on one side and Regent Square on the other. Both of them are really nice neighborhoods, with buslines that go to Pitt running down the main roads. Squirrel Hill has all the shopping that you need on the 2 main roads. Regent Square has a small, kinda funky (in a good way) business district, and then a big shopping center across the highway in Edgewood.

How about Highland Park? How is the neighborhood? Would it be considered a hike from Pitt Law compared to Shadyside?

bport hopeful

Postby bport hopeful » Thu Apr 28, 2011 3:28 pm

I know that this has been discussed to death, but i have no idea where it was ITT, but could someone either let me know about some places in oakland to live, or send some links.

Again, real sorry.

reverendt

Postby reverendt » Thu Apr 28, 2011 6:10 pm

kartal wrote:
reverendt wrote:
kartal wrote:

How about Highland Park? How is the neighborhood? Would it be considered a hike from Pitt Law compared to Shadyside?

Yeah Highland Park is a bit father from Pitt than Shadyside....several miles farther I'd say, and you pass through a few sketchy areas on the way to Pitt.
That said, I've heard from people who are quite happy in Highland Park.

OGR3

Postby OGR3 » Thu Apr 28, 2011 6:54 pm

reverendt wrote:
kartal wrote:
reverendt wrote:
kartal wrote:

Yeah Highland Park is a bit father from Pitt than Shadyside....several miles farther I'd say, and you pass through a few sketchy areas on the way to Pitt.

Passing through sketchy areas is no big deal. My neighborhood is surrounded by sketchy areas but I've never felt the bus was unsafe or anything.

In fact, my neighborhood is slated to get even better as a new ice cream shop is opening tomorrow and the coffee shop is getting renovated at the moment, both are less than a block from me.

HeavenWood

Postby HeavenWood » Thu Apr 28, 2011 7:01 pm

reverendt wrote:
kartal wrote:
reverendt wrote:
kartal wrote:

Just be careful about where in Highland Park. It's a nice neighborhood for the most part, but the portions toward (non-gentrified) East Liberty, Larimer, and Lincoln-Lemington-Belmar are a bit rough around the edges.

HOPEFORCHANGE

Postby HOPEFORCHANGE » Thu Apr 28, 2011 9:09 pm

Anyone know how time consuming Jurist is if you just take a regular staff position? I want to join, but obviously, I am flex-time and do work a job as well.

reverendt

Postby reverendt » Thu Apr 28, 2011 9:15 pm

HOPEFORCHANGE wrote:Anyone know how time consuming Jurist is if you just take a regular staff position? I want to join, but obviously, I am flex-time and do work a job as well.

I seem to recall my friends who were on it putting in a decent amount of time during 1L.

BarbellDreams

Postby BarbellDreams » Thu Apr 28, 2011 10:50 pm

HOPEFORCHANGE wrote:Anyone know how time consuming Jurist is if you just take a regular staff position? I want to join, but obviously, I am flex-time and do work a job as well.

A bunch of my 1L friends are on it and say it isn't terribly time consuming. Minimum 4 and maximum 10 hours per week for your first year as a basic staff member (will likely be doing Paper Chase or something). With that said I have also been told that Jurist doesn't look as great as the Jurist staff makes it out to be on a resume unless you're really high up. Its definitely nowhere close to a journal.

corvettekid

Postby corvettekid » Sat Apr 30, 2011 12:20 pm

one more spot and 45k back on the table for those of you still waiting. Good Luck!

sterl1002

Postby sterl1002 » Mon May 02, 2011 7:19 pm

Is anyone still waiting for a decision? I went complete on 3/17 and have been under review ever since...

northwood

Postby northwood » Mon May 02, 2011 7:30 pm

you should hear something soon. It took me about 8 weeks from when i went under review to hearing my decision. If you havent heard anything by the end of May- the second seat deposit needs to be postmarked by June 1st- so they may wait until a few days after that before sending out another round of acceptances.

bport hopeful

Postby bport hopeful » Tue May 03, 2011 12:02 am

My deposit is in beeches.

northwood

Postby northwood » Tue May 03, 2011 9:50 am

bport hopeful wrote:My deposit is in beeches.

glad to see another mets fan going to pitt.

bkenney2

Postby bkenney2 » Tue May 03, 2011 9:58 pm

Has anyone gotten their PITT email or any other info from PITT since putting down your seat deposit?

bport hopeful

Postby bport hopeful » Tue May 03, 2011 11:00 pm

bkenney2 wrote:Has anyone gotten their PITT email or any other info from PITT since putting down your seat deposit?

Yep.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”