Pittsburgh 2011

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
HOPEFORCHANGE

Re: Pittsburgh 2011

Postby HOPEFORCHANGE » Fri Apr 08, 2011 3:21 pm

Well, Pittsburgh doesn't have awesome public transportation. If you're living in Oakland, etc. you can live without it, but Pittsburgh is nowhere close to being comparable to New York or Chicago in walkability and having convenient and frequent public transportation. During the weekday at non-rush hour, there is half an hour between buses/trolleys in good service areas.

reverendt

Postby reverendt » Fri Apr 08, 2011 11:36 pm

gin wrote:Thanks.
From what I've gathered, is a car necesary at Pitt? From what I've gathered it's not, and I really don't want to drive there all the way from TX

Depends on where you live. I know plenty of people who get by without a car, although most have one.
Just choose where you live accordingly.

gokickrocks

Postby gokickrocks » Sat Apr 09, 2011 2:50 am

Adrian Yale wrote:
itsalyssa wrote:i already sent a LOCI about two weeks ago expressing that they were my first choice school, and if accepted i would attend. do you think its still a good idea to contact them a second time or just wait it out? i dont want to sound too pushy but i reallyyyyyyyyy want Pitt

Call 'em. Or email. Whatevs.

Also, can we get a count on who is going to Pitt?

I'm 98% attending.

I sent my first deposit in and was initially 95% sure I was going to attend. However, with certain things recently, I need to reevaluate my options.

fiupike24

Postby fiupike24 » Sat Apr 09, 2011 3:54 am

Under Review =x

bport hopeful

Postby bport hopeful » Sat Apr 09, 2011 3:53 pm

Finally accepted yesterday.

eaglemuncher

Postby eaglemuncher » Sat Apr 09, 2011 3:55 pm

What is going on out there in Pittsburgh, this is taking sooo long. Deposits are due.

HOPEFORCHANGE

Postby HOPEFORCHANGE » Sat Apr 09, 2011 4:05 pm

They're trying to make all decisions by April 15th.

Bport - congrats!

bport hopeful

Postby bport hopeful » Sat Apr 09, 2011 4:09 pm

HOPEFORCHANGE wrote:They're trying to make all decisions by April 15th.

Bport - congrats!

Thanks a lot. With the right scholarship, ill be attending.

I have some questions for those of you who were able to attend ASD.

Did the professors seem energetic?

How were the current and prospective students?

I ask because I went to Seton Hall's ASD today and the students were all nice and stuff, but they all seemed... weird? Idk I guess I was expecting people to be slightly more socially awkward than in UG, but not so significantly.

OGR3

Postby OGR3 » Sat Apr 09, 2011 4:55 pm

bport hopeful wrote:
HOPEFORCHANGE wrote:They're trying to make all decisions by April 15th.

Bport - congrats!

Thanks a lot. With the right scholarship, ill be attending.

I have some questions for those of you who were able to attend ASD.

Did the professors seem energetic?

How were the current and prospective students?

I ask because I went to Seton Hall's ASD today and the students were all nice and stuff, but they all seemed... weird? Idk I guess I was expecting people to be slightly more socially awkward than in UG, but not so significantly.

If law students weren't socially awkward, we wouldn't be in law school.

I know your questions are directed toward prospective students, but one of the things that drew me to Pitt was the quality of the faculty and the passion they seemed to have toward teaching.

bport hopeful

Postby bport hopeful » Sat Apr 09, 2011 7:22 pm

Thanks for the helpful answer!

HOPEFORCHANGE

Postby HOPEFORCHANGE » Sat Apr 09, 2011 8:07 pm

I am still waiting, UR 2/17, and I haven't been waitlisted. Pitt told me when I called on Friday that they hope to make all decisions by April 15th. I told them during that they were my first choice and I also specifically stated this in my PS. Although money would be nice, I will attend sticker. I have median numbers. Does anyone think I should write a LOCI at this point? I really want to go there for several reasons. I was admitted to all other schools to which I applied, but I was above the 75th percentile LSAT for all of the others, so I don't know how much my softs helped or if my PS was strong or not.

bport hopeful

Postby bport hopeful » Sat Apr 09, 2011 8:10 pm

HOPEFORCHANGE wrote:I am still waiting, UR 2/17, and I haven't been waitlisted. Pitt told me when I called on Friday that they hope to make all decisions by April 15th. I told them during that they were my first choice and I also specifically stated this in my PS. Although money would be nice, I will attend sticker. I have median numbers. Does anyone think I should write a LOCI at this point? I really want to go there for several reasons. I was admitted to all other schools to which I applied, but I was above the 75th percentile LSAT for all of the others, so I don't know how much my softs helped or if my PS was strong or not.

At the end of the day, an LOCI wont hurt and can only help.

Also, good luck. I feel for all the long time waiters and those of us that have wanted this.

HOPEFORCHANGE

Postby HOPEFORCHANGE » Sat Apr 09, 2011 8:41 pm

Thank you very much, bport. I will work on it tomorrow and send it out before Monday morning.

Also, in response to your question about law students being socially awkward, let me say this: I am a pretty outgoing and friendly person, but there are times that I have felt socially awkward because I felt an inability to relate to a lot of people. I felt that people found me to be too analytical, too curious about contemplating issues from every angle, and too interested in academic endeavors. I am not sure if any of this is true, but that's the way I felt that I was perceived and I also felt that a lot of people just were entirely uninterested in this side of me. Granted, I enjoy lot of different activities, especially non-sedentary pursuits that get me moving. I suppose I just felt that I didn't fit anywhere for a long time. I then started working with lawyers and I have changed a lot. I am never shy anymore and I really feel as though law is my niche and I am among likeminded people now.

I believe that some of the people you found to be a bit socially awkward at Seton Hall may just feel the same way that I used to feel and will emerge from their shell when they enter law school. I really feel like working and talking with lawyers has helped me filter the side of me that is perhaps too analytical into good. Hope this helps.

gin

Postby gin » Sun Apr 10, 2011 2:28 pm

HOPEFORCHANGE wrote:Thank you very much, bport. I will work on it tomorrow and send it out before Monday morning.

Also, in response to your question about law students being socially awkward, let me say this: I am a pretty outgoing and friendly person, but there are times that I have felt socially awkward because I felt an inability to relate to a lot of people. I felt that people found me to be too analytical, too curious about contemplating issues from every angle, and too interested in academic endeavors. I am not sure if any of this is true, but that's the way I felt that I was perceived and I also felt that a lot of people just were entirely uninterested in this side of me. Granted, I enjoy lot of different activities, especially non-sedentary pursuits that get me moving. I suppose I just felt that I didn't fit anywhere for a long time. I then started working with lawyers and I have changed a lot. I am never shy anymore and I really feel as though law is my niche and I am among likeminded people now.

I believe that some of the people you found to be a bit socially awkward at Seton Hall may just feel the same way that I used to feel and will emerge from their shell when they enter law school. I really feel like working and talking with lawyers has helped me filter the side of me that is perhaps too analytical into good. Hope this helps.

+1
I am definitely one of the most socially awkward people out there. I'm terrible at the whole small talk crap and to be honest I don't care much about it either. Like HOPE, once I start discussing more substantive stuff, and other people disagree with me it will get to the point that I will probably bite your face off. I personally hate it when people agree with me because it makes things boring. I also seem a bit detached from others and have a bit of a tendency of ignoring people's feelings which (I guess) makes it hard for people to get to know me.
Congrats on your acceptance by the way

HOPEFORCHANGE

Postby HOPEFORCHANGE » Sun Apr 10, 2011 6:22 pm

Well, I can't write my LOCI today. I will have to write it tomorrow evening. I have to work 12-14 hours today because we're understaffed and then work my other job tomorrow after 4 hours of sleep. I hope I don't get dinged in the meantime...

bport hopeful

Postby bport hopeful » Sun Apr 10, 2011 6:36 pm

HOPEFORCHANGE wrote:Well, I can't write my LOCI today. I will have to write it tomorrow evening. I have to work 12-14 hours today because we're understaffed and then work my other job tomorrow after 4 hours of sleep. I hope I don't get dinged in the meantime...

I dont think they really need to be that complicated. Mine only took like 4 minutes to write.

HOPEFORCHANGE

Postby HOPEFORCHANGE » Sun Apr 10, 2011 6:52 pm

Yes, but I have a deadline for work and I don't want to send something out that is sloppy because my brain is fried from 14 hours of reading surveillance reports. I know what you mean, though.

I will just have to the roll the dice with tomorrow's decisions and if they ding me tomorrow, they were probably going to anyway because they decided this weekend. It's a shame I can't do it now, but in the end, I am employed somewhere and made a commitment to my company. I suppose I will see how much more work I receive tonight and then make a decision about whether I am writing it tonight or tomorrow. I just really want to go to Pitt, but ...

HOPEFORCHANGE

Postby HOPEFORCHANGE » Sun Apr 10, 2011 7:31 pm

Hey, what does the status checker say when they admit someone? Does it say "Admitted" after status and what does it say at the top of the page? It's just I always see the "Your application is now with our admissions..." first before I scroll down, so I want to know when to have my heart start to sink. I am not getting my hopes up (no pun intended with username), so I am preparing for disappointment.

northwood

Postby northwood » Sun Apr 10, 2011 7:32 pm

it will tell you that you are in something along the lines of Congratulations- Welcome to the Pitt Law class of 2014

HOPEFORCHANGE

Postby HOPEFORCHANGE » Sun Apr 10, 2011 7:41 pm

Ok, so if I see "Thank you for applying to Pitt Law," or something like that, I know I am going to see "Denied" or something comparable. Thanks.

Anyway - I have to get back to work. I have decided that I will send the LOCI tomorrow night if I don't receive a decision tomorrow. I just want to make sure I explain well why and how much I want to attend. I hope I join you guys in the fall. Pitt has been the only school where I have walked through its doors and it has felt right.

iambeautiful

Postby iambeautiful » Sun Apr 10, 2011 8:33 pm

HOPEFORCHANGE wrote:Ok, so if I see "Thank you for applying to Pitt Law," or something like that, I know I am going to see "Denied" or something comparable. Thanks.

Anyway - I have to get back to work. I have decided that I will send the LOCI tomorrow night if I don't receive a decision tomorrow. I just want to make sure I explain well why and how much I want to attend. I hope I join you guys in the fall. Pitt has been the only school where I have walked through its doors and it has felt right.

At the very top of the status page will say "Congratulations, Welcome to Pitt Law" If you were accepted.

balzern

Postby balzern » Mon Apr 11, 2011 8:42 am

Hey I have been pretty quiet lately but if anyone wants to ask me any questions about Pittsburgh or the law school (went to admitted students day) I would be happy to answer on this thread or through a PM!!!

Also the Buccos are going to win the pennant this year...just sayin'

:)

VTOrange19

Postby VTOrange19 » Mon Apr 11, 2011 1:34 pm

I called and got the same "April 15th" response, so I don't know what I will do this weekend if I am not in by Friday. I hope the plane flying around the law building with the banner behind it saying "Accept me... I might consider paying sticker at this point" gets someone's attention. My LOCI just reads "The plane! The plane!"

northwood

Postby northwood » Mon Apr 11, 2011 1:39 pm

good luck!

BarbellDreams

Postby BarbellDreams » Mon Apr 11, 2011 2:38 pm

VTOrange19 wrote:I called and got the same "April 15th" response, so I don't know what I will do this weekend if I am not in by Friday. I hope the plane flying around the law building with the banner behind it saying "Accept me... I might consider paying sticker at this point" gets someone's attention. My LOCI just reads "The plane! The plane!"

This made me laugh out loud while studying Property in the library. Please get admitted.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”