Pittsburgh 2011

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
bport hopeful

Re: Pittsburgh 2011

Postby bport hopeful » Fri Apr 01, 2011 5:03 pm

Well I got to check the campus out today, its pretty freaking nice. I particularly liked how it was integrated into the city, but still had a distinct campus feel. I also liked that the law building was right with the rest of campus. I know that some people will not care about this, but its something that I like.

Also, the crazy person who hit the building pulled of a pretty impressive manuever to get down there, including two flights of stairs. Dont know if I could do that if I tried.

kk19131

Postby kk19131 » Fri Apr 01, 2011 6:00 pm

The school was nice... but the hours and hours of information sessions (all in the same room) were beyond boring.

I like that the admissions staff is so helpful and energetic. However, I must say I was kind of put off with all the talk of "diversifying" the JD... seems like they realize that many Pitt students just won't end up being lawyers.

I also laughed at, when asked, none of the current students on the panel could list ONE thing they would improve about the school... seemed kind of disingenuous to me, but who knows.

Nevertheless, I love that Pitt is pretty much its own little city in Oakland, and that the buses are free for Pitt students.

bport hopeful

Postby bport hopeful » Fri Apr 01, 2011 6:09 pm

Yes, in a way I was glad that I didnt have to listen to all of that. But I freaking loved the campus.

BarbellDreams

Postby BarbellDreams » Fri Apr 01, 2011 6:18 pm

kk19131 wrote:The school was nice... but the hours and hours of information sessions (all in the same room) were beyond boring.

I like that the admissions staff is so helpful and energetic. However, I must say I was kind of put off with all the talk of "diversifying" the JD... seems like they realize that many Pitt students just won't end up being lawyers.

I also laughed at, when asked, none of the current students on the panel could list ONE thing they would improve about the school... seemed kind of disingenuous to me, but who knows.

Nevertheless, I love that Pitt is pretty much its own little city in Oakland, and that the buses are free for Pitt students.

Its actually hard to say what I would improve even if you give me some time to think. A couple of more microwaves maybe? With the new lockers and new lounge opening the majority of what the people used to complain about has been answered. The only thing I can think of improving is how career services handles some stuff. I appreciate the mock interviews and the attorney networking events, but I feel like there are a couple of very easy things that take no funding that CSO could do to help out students and just refuse to.

HOPEFORCHANGE

Postby HOPEFORCHANGE » Fri Apr 01, 2011 6:42 pm

Unless you go to a T10, you really need to leave your options open for other jobs that aren't actually lawyer jobs. I have an ABA-approved paralegal certificate and I had an instructor who worked for the IRS as a non-lawyer after law school and now has his own very nice firm. Another example is that I do currently work part-time as a paralegal and have another full-time job. I work for a securities lawyer and I could take that experience and work for FINRA potentially someday. Sure, it would probably be as a non-lawyer, but the salary would be pretty good. Anyway, I think the point is not that the majority of Pitt students won't be lawyers, but that it's important to be flexible temporarily when you leave law school or in the longrun. It's better to have a nice salary that utilizes your JD but isn't a lawyer job than to be a nickel and dime home office lawyer.

Adrian Yale

Postby Adrian Yale » Fri Apr 01, 2011 7:15 pm

Liked ASD...

I thought the class and case were sweet.

Who wants a roomie? haha.

bport hopeful

Postby bport hopeful » Fri Apr 01, 2011 7:45 pm

While you all were in class today, I was checking out the town. I know that a lot of people suggest shadyside because it is more grad students than UG, and discourage oakland for that reason, but there are some nice looking appartments behind the law building. I actually think that I would prefer to live by the campus, i sort of enjoy the collegiate atmosphere.

rs2004

Postby rs2004 » Sat Apr 02, 2011 12:35 am

going to withdraw after today's admitted students day.

kk19131

Postby kk19131 » Sat Apr 02, 2011 12:36 am

rs2004 wrote:going to withdraw after today's admitted students day.

Any particular reason?

rs2004

Postby rs2004 » Sat Apr 02, 2011 12:52 am

kk19131 wrote:

Any particular reason?

downtown pittsburgh is okay. the campus is beautiful. but the city itself seems very dependent on the pitt and carnegie mellon community. it makes me really nervous when the best part of a city are the schools. that is all good for undergrad students but not so good for law grads who want legal jobs in the city. yes there are a small handful of firms based in pittsburgh but only just a few. the city just doesn't seem like a robust place for employment of law grads. the only solid extension outside of pitt is the d.c. program and i am not interested in living or working in d.c. i think pitt would be a great fit for undergrads, pittsburgh-lovers, and maybe medical students but i'm looking to go to school in a city where there are a lot of firms and more opportunities even if it means more competition from other regional schools.

i was also surprised that my pitt folder contained only i think 2 pieces of paper about the school and the rest were brochures on shopping and dining in other pittsburgh neighborhoods. my temple folder was filled with statistics and brochures and all kinds of stuff about the school...

and again, pittsburgh is a really awesome university city and really great for budget-friendly folks. just not the right fit for me. and i did not know that pittsburgh is mr. roger's neighborhood.

kk19131

Postby kk19131 » Sat Apr 02, 2011 1:02 am

rs2004 wrote:
kk19131 wrote:

Any particular reason?

it makes me really nervous when the best part of a city are the schools.

i was also surprised that my pitt folder contained only i think 2 pieces of paper about the school and the rest were brochures on shopping and dining in other pittsburgh neighborhoods.

I thought I was the only person feeling like this... especially noting that outside of all the universities, there didn't seem to be much to the city.

It's definitely a great place for undergrads, but for law students in a weak economy...? I'm not so sure.

But, I can definitely see why Pittsburgh/Western PA natives would love the school.

rs2004

Postby rs2004 » Sat Apr 02, 2011 9:20 am

kk19131 wrote:
rs2004 wrote:
kk19131 wrote:

Any particular reason?

it makes me really nervous when the best part of a city are the schools.

i was also surprised that my pitt folder contained only i think 2 pieces of paper about the school and the rest were brochures on shopping and dining in other pittsburgh neighborhoods.

I thought I was the only person feeling like this... especially noting that outside of all the universities, there didn't seem to be much to the city.

It's definitely a great place for undergrads, but for law students in a weak economy...? I'm not so sure.

But, I can definitely see why Pittsburgh/Western PA natives would love the school.

hey, if you felt it and i felt it, others probably did too.

BarbellDreams

Postby BarbellDreams » Sat Apr 02, 2011 10:58 am

The point is if you dont like Pittsburgh as a city and dont see yourself living here no matter what then it really doesnt matter what the school is like, you just shouldn't go here.

northwood

Postby northwood » Sat Apr 02, 2011 12:24 pm

BarbellDreams wrote:The point is if you dont like Pittsburgh as a city and dont see yourself living here no matter what then it really doesnt matter what the school is like, you just shouldn't go here.

This. And this goes for any school outside the top 6. If you think you will be miserable in the city- then even if its just for 3 years dont go.

HOPEFORCHANGE

Postby HOPEFORCHANGE » Sat Apr 02, 2011 4:56 pm

Just curious what those of you who think there isn't much to Pittsburgh think are things that make a city offer more to graduate or law students? I am referencing that Pittsburgh is great for undergrads but not for law students.

BarbellDreams

Postby BarbellDreams » Sat Apr 02, 2011 5:14 pm

HOPEFORCHANGE wrote:Just curious what those of you who think there isn't much to Pittsburgh think are things that make a city offer more to graduate or law students? I am referencing that Pittsburgh is great for undergrads but not for law students.

More firms/jobs, nightlife, etc. in NYC, LA and Chicago. I am originally from Chicago and Pittsburgh is definitely much smaller and took some adjusting, but as long as we have a bunch of skyscrapers and a downtown I am happy.

HeavenWood

Postby HeavenWood » Sat Apr 02, 2011 5:16 pm

BarbellDreams wrote:
HOPEFORCHANGE wrote:Just curious what those of you who think there isn't much to Pittsburgh think are things that make a city offer more to graduate or law students? I am referencing that Pittsburgh is great for undergrads but not for law students.

More firms/jobs, nightlife, etc. in NYC, LA and Chicago. I am originally from Chicago and Pittsburgh is definitely much smaller and took some adjusting, but as long as we have a bunch of skyscrapers and a downtown I am happy.

I don't even like Pittsburgh's downtown. I think the best things about the city are Oakland, Shadyside, Squirrel Hill, (the gentrified parts of) East Liberty, and the South Side. The city definitely has more to offer than Oakland as some people have implied (although it would be easy to get that impression from a quick visit), but it's definitely not a bustling metropolis.

bport hopeful

Postby bport hopeful » Sun Apr 03, 2011 2:57 pm

I know that pitt generally only gives out a maximum 14,000 dollar scholly, and I know that this has likely been discussed already, but does anyone know if they ever give out more.

I ask because I received my admissions packet from Seton Hall yesterday. They offered me 35 a year. I really would much rather live in Pittsburgh than NJ, but that offer is hard to turn down, especially since SHU places in a better legal market. Does anyone know if it would be possible to negotiate with pitt higher than 14k?

Note: Ive also heard that Pitt negotiates on some kind of overall cost plan. Did the math, SHU at 35 a year is cheaper than Pitt at 14.

northwood

Postby northwood » Sun Apr 03, 2011 3:01 pm

i dont know. try to negotiate with pitt and see.

northwood

Postby northwood » Sun Apr 03, 2011 3:02 pm

I need a new computer for law school. Just checked out the cpu requirements page on the website- and am still stuck. What computers would a current pitt student recommend ( either mac or pc- am open to both suggestions, although i am totally unfamiiliar with the mac)

OGR3

Postby OGR3 » Sun Apr 03, 2011 3:47 pm

northwood wrote:I need a new computer for law school. Just checked out the cpu requirements page on the website- and am still stuck. What computers would a current pitt student recommend ( either mac or pc- am open to both suggestions, although i am totally unfamiiliar with the mac)

Mac is great, I switched to one after using PCs my whole life and I love it, but one thing to consider is the fact that for some reason Pitt's self-service printing client refuses to work on Macs. This means that instead of just hitting print and swiping your card at a self-service printer, you're forced to email documents to yourself and then print them out from a computer lab.

Though I will say that examsoft seems to work better for me than my PC using classmates.

bport hopeful

Postby bport hopeful » Sun Apr 03, 2011 6:50 pm

bport hopeful wrote:I know that pitt generally only gives out a maximum 14,000 dollar scholly, and I know that this has likely been discussed already, but does anyone know if they ever give out more.

I ask because I received my admissions packet from Seton Hall yesterday. They offered me 35 a year. I really would much rather live in Pittsburgh than NJ, but that offer is hard to turn down, especially since SHU places in a better legal market. Does anyone know if it would be possible to negotiate with pitt higher than 14k?

Note: Ive also heard that Pitt negotiates on some kind of overall cost plan. Did the math, SHU at 35 a year is cheaper than Pitt at 14.

bump

mhd08

Postby mhd08 » Sun Apr 03, 2011 10:54 pm

OGR3 wrote:
northwood wrote:I need a new computer for law school. Just checked out the cpu requirements page on the website- and am still stuck. What computers would a current pitt student recommend ( either mac or pc- am open to both suggestions, although i am totally unfamiiliar with the mac)

Mac is great, I switched to one after using PCs my whole life and I love it, but one thing to consider is the fact that for some reason Pitt's self-service printing client refuses to work on Macs. This means that instead of just hitting print and swiping your card at a self-service printer, you're forced to email documents to yourself and then print them out from a computer lab.

Though I will say that examsoft seems to work better for me than my PC using classmates.

Not true, I have a Mac and I'm able to use the self-service printing.

rs2004

Postby rs2004 » Mon Apr 04, 2011 10:48 am

withdrew! freeing up 16K

OGR3

Postby OGR3 » Mon Apr 04, 2011 11:29 am

mhd08 wrote:
OGR3 wrote:

Not true, I have a Mac and I'm able to use the self-service printing.

Witchcraft!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”