Pittsburgh 2011

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
HOPEFORCHANGE
Posts: 340
Joined: Fri Feb 04, 2011 12:22 am

Re: Pittsburgh 2011

Postby HOPEFORCHANGE » Sun Mar 13, 2011 4:46 pm

I wonder if Pitt will release some decisions tomorrow?

HOPEFORCHANGE
Posts: 340
Joined: Fri Feb 04, 2011 12:22 am

Re: Pittsburgh 2011

Postby HOPEFORCHANGE » Sun Mar 13, 2011 4:50 pm

Also, this might be a stupid question that may have already been answered, but with the political discussion mixed into all of this, I have been skimming through:

I have lived here since I was 13 and I am now 26, so I don't have to sign any declaration, correct (if I am admitted)? I mean, it says "in-state" on my status checker and I have never had any driver's license besides PA and haven't moved or anything for thirteen years. So, I guess the question is, this declaration is just for out-of-state people who are attempting to get in-state tuition, right?

User avatar
OGR3
Posts: 881
Joined: Wed Dec 23, 2009 6:56 pm

Re: Pittsburgh 2011

Postby OGR3 » Sun Mar 13, 2011 4:53 pm

BarbellDreams wrote:I think that declaration is kind of funny. Majority of 1L's I met keep telling me how much they love Pittsburgh and they are here to stay yet won't sign the declaration. Isn't it a commitment for like 3-5 years post grad?


They never even brought it up for me. I just don't think it's a good idea to volunteer to put yourself in that kind of situation. If the committee had said that I'd get it if I signed a declaration, I'd have done so in a heartbeat.

User avatar
OGR3
Posts: 881
Joined: Wed Dec 23, 2009 6:56 pm

Re: Pittsburgh 2011

Postby OGR3 » Sun Mar 13, 2011 4:54 pm

HOPEFORCHANGE wrote:Also, this might be a stupid question that may have already been answered, but with the political discussion mixed into all of this, I have been skimming through:

I have lived here since I was 13 and I am now 26, so I don't have to sign any declaration, correct (if I am admitted)? I mean, it says "in-state" on my status checker and I have never had any driver's license besides PA and haven't moved or anything for thirteen years. So, I guess the question is, this declaration is just for out-of-state people who are attempting to get in-state tuition, right?


Yes, you're in state, you don't need to sign anything.

HOPEFORCHANGE
Posts: 340
Joined: Fri Feb 04, 2011 12:22 am

Re: Pittsburgh 2011

Postby HOPEFORCHANGE » Sun Mar 13, 2011 4:57 pm

Cool, thanks. I will probably stay here forever - but I don't want to be bound anywhere when I will probably have a family to feed by then and a worst-case scenario economy could crop up. Pitt is national enough that you can take your JD to another state and probably get hired. I know there is a far better chance in Western PA though.

bigbubba
Posts: 16
Joined: Mon Feb 21, 2011 1:43 am

Re: Pittsburgh 2011

Postby bigbubba » Sun Mar 13, 2011 4:57 pm

I'll be withdrawing tomorrow. Best of luck to those still waiting.

HOPEFORCHANGE
Posts: 340
Joined: Fri Feb 04, 2011 12:22 am

Re: Pittsburgh 2011

Postby HOPEFORCHANGE » Sun Mar 13, 2011 5:01 pm

Thanks for the courtesy of withdrawing. I had to apply later in the game and I am still waiting. Pitt is my first choice.

HOPEFORCHANGE
Posts: 340
Joined: Fri Feb 04, 2011 12:22 am

Re: Pittsburgh 2011

Postby HOPEFORCHANGE » Sun Mar 13, 2011 6:26 pm

Deleted.....I will just wait and see what they determine if anyone read what I posted. It is to case by case in my mind anyway.
Last edited by HOPEFORCHANGE on Sun Mar 13, 2011 6:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
HarveyBirdman
Posts: 96
Joined: Wed Jan 28, 2009 11:25 pm

Re: Pittsburgh 2011

Postby HarveyBirdman » Sun Mar 13, 2011 6:45 pm

Haha, if you can afford to buy a $100k condo, it sounds like you can afford to pay out of state tuition rates. That's what I would've said to you if I were on that appeal board, just to be a jackass.

But I'm more interested in your 1L friend who didn't purchase property but got in state residency for his 1L year, if I understand you correctly. What was the deal there?

See, I should finish college in December of this year, meaning theoretically if all the planets align I could find a job in Pittsburgh and move there before Christmas 2011, with the plan of starting law school in the fall of 2012 (August, I presume). I would do the drivers license and car registration and voter registration and all that stuff, but I'd be renting. So would living there for 8 months be enough to get in state residency for the first year onwards? Then if not, is this something that can change each semester? I'd be there over a year by spring semester 1L.

HOPEFORCHANGE
Posts: 340
Joined: Fri Feb 04, 2011 12:22 am

Re: Pittsburgh 2011

Postby HOPEFORCHANGE » Mon Mar 14, 2011 12:57 am

Well, for those of us still waiting, let's hope to hear this week. Today would be good (especially if they admit me). That would just make my year. Goodluck to the rest of you still waiting.

User avatar
Dr. Review
Posts: 1797
Joined: Sat Jan 30, 2010 1:51 am

Re: Pittsburgh 2011

Postby Dr. Review » Mon Mar 14, 2011 8:35 pm

OGR3 wrote:
BarbellDreams wrote:I think that declaration is kind of funny. Majority of 1L's I met keep telling me how much they love Pittsburgh and they are here to stay yet won't sign the declaration. Isn't it a commitment for like 3-5 years post grad?


They never even brought it up for me. I just don't think it's a good idea to volunteer to put yourself in that kind of situation. If the committee had said that I'd get it if I signed a declaration, I'd have done so in a heartbeat.


Because I could love Pittsburgh, and have every intention to stay here, and get shut down for jobs that I like in PA, and get a great offer from WV or OH, but if I signed that form, I am SOL.

User avatar
OGR3
Posts: 881
Joined: Wed Dec 23, 2009 6:56 pm

Re: Pittsburgh 2011

Postby OGR3 » Mon Mar 14, 2011 9:24 pm

Bedsole wrote:
OGR3 wrote:
BarbellDreams wrote:I think that declaration is kind of funny. Majority of 1L's I met keep telling me how much they love Pittsburgh and they are here to stay yet won't sign the declaration. Isn't it a commitment for like 3-5 years post grad?


They never even brought it up for me. I just don't think it's a good idea to volunteer to put yourself in that kind of situation. If the committee had said that I'd get it if I signed a declaration, I'd have done so in a heartbeat.


Because I could love Pittsburgh, and have every intention to stay here, and get shut down for jobs that I like in PA, and get a great offer from WV or OH, but if I signed that form, I am SOL.


We talked it over, and my fiancee and I were willing to take that risk if that was what it took, but I certainly understand that it's not for everyone.

User avatar
OGR3
Posts: 881
Joined: Wed Dec 23, 2009 6:56 pm

Re: Pittsburgh 2011

Postby OGR3 » Mon Mar 14, 2011 9:26 pm

HarveyBirdman wrote:Haha, if you can afford to buy a $100k condo, it sounds like you can afford to pay out of state tuition rates. That's what I would've said to you if I were on that appeal board, just to be a jackass.

But I'm more interested in your 1L friend who didn't purchase property but got in state residency for his 1L year, if I understand you correctly. What was the deal there?

See, I should finish college in December of this year, meaning theoretically if all the planets align I could find a job in Pittsburgh and move there before Christmas 2011, with the plan of starting law school in the fall of 2012 (August, I presume). I would do the drivers license and car registration and voter registration and all that stuff, but I'd be renting. So would living there for 8 months be enough to get in state residency for the first year onwards? Then if not, is this something that can change each semester? I'd be there over a year by spring semester 1L.


She went to college in PA, but applied as an out of state resident, so she had background in the state. I would say living there 8 months previously would give you a strong case, by second semester 1L, you'd have 12 months of residency, so I'd definitely retry if they rejected you in the fall.

User avatar
rs2004
Posts: 536
Joined: Wed Dec 15, 2010 3:10 pm

Re: Pittsburgh 2011

Postby rs2004 » Tue Mar 15, 2011 10:12 am

i missed a phone call from a pitt law student last night. still, nice gesture.

User avatar
LeDique
Posts: 12706
Joined: Tue Nov 02, 2010 2:10 pm

Re: Pittsburgh 2011

Postby LeDique » Tue Mar 15, 2011 10:14 am

rs2004 wrote:i missed a phone call from a pitt law student last night. still, nice gesture.


So did I - which is funny because I had withdrawn yesterday morning.

User avatar
Kinderby
Posts: 426
Joined: Tue Jan 11, 2011 4:45 pm

Re: Pittsburgh 2011

Postby Kinderby » Tue Mar 15, 2011 10:16 am

Are they ever going to make a decision about me? :)

User avatar
northwood
Posts: 4872
Joined: Fri May 14, 2010 7:29 pm

Re: Pittsburgh 2011

Postby northwood » Tue Mar 15, 2011 1:22 pm

just booked my hotel for tomorrow. will be taking a tour on the 17th!

bigbubba
Posts: 16
Joined: Mon Feb 21, 2011 1:43 am

Re: Pittsburgh 2011

Postby bigbubba » Tue Mar 15, 2011 4:03 pm

Current students, now that the new US News & World Report rankings are out, I'm curious what your thoughts are regarding the drop from last year. Another interesting point I noticed was that the median private sector starting salary was listed as $110,000. Do you agree with this or think it a byproduct of selective employment responses,etc.?

User avatar
OGR3
Posts: 881
Joined: Wed Dec 23, 2009 6:56 pm

Re: Pittsburgh 2011

Postby OGR3 » Tue Mar 15, 2011 4:17 pm

bigbubba wrote:Current students, now that the new US News & World Report rankings are out, I'm curious what your thoughts are regarding the drop from last year. Another interesting point I noticed was that the median private sector starting salary was listed as $110,000. Do you agree with this or think it a byproduct of selective employment responses,etc.?


We're at the same spot we were the year previously, and we're still the go to school for Western PA. So I highly doubt the drop will affect us in any meaningful way.

I never gave much weight to employment statistics because they're so easy to manipulate. Until the ABA or US News demands a uniform (and preferably audited) reporting system, you're never going to see the real employment picture.

That said, one's dollar goes much further here than in NYC or DC.

User avatar
BarbellDreams
Posts: 2256
Joined: Thu Mar 19, 2009 6:10 pm

Re: Pittsburgh 2011

Postby BarbellDreams » Tue Mar 15, 2011 5:14 pm

Honestly once you're at a school rankings really don't matter. The easiest way to understand ranking is that every school is regional outside the T14+Vandy. Whether Pitt made it into the top 50 or dropped out of the top 100, employment stats would stay the same, it will always be regarded as the best school outside the T14 by Western PA employers.

Ad for the median salary, you should always ignore that stat. Its a faulty state because the % of those reporting salaries is always below 50% and generally the ones that do report are those that received very high paying jobs (Kids who got no offered or work doc review for $12/hr don't feel like reporting their employment for obvious reasons).

User avatar
Peekay80
Posts: 82
Joined: Sun Oct 04, 2009 7:44 am

Re: Pittsburgh 2011

Postby Peekay80 » Tue Mar 15, 2011 8:04 pm

Attending! Finally got my papers from my job, so I'll be on my way! Thanks to the 1Ls for the assistance and information over these past few months. See you guys this summer!

User avatar
OGR3
Posts: 881
Joined: Wed Dec 23, 2009 6:56 pm

Re: Pittsburgh 2011

Postby OGR3 » Tue Mar 15, 2011 8:28 pm

Peekay80 wrote:Attending! Finally got my papers from my job, so I'll be on my way! Thanks to the 1Ls for the assistance and information over these past few months. See you guys this summer!


Congratulations!

User avatar
bport hopeful
Posts: 4913
Joined: Wed Dec 08, 2010 4:09 pm

Re: Pittsburgh 2011

Postby bport hopeful » Wed Mar 16, 2011 5:50 pm

Getting pissed at Pitt. Ruining my spring break.

jdhakert
Posts: 80
Joined: Fri Nov 05, 2010 2:04 am

Re: Pittsburgh 2011

Postby jdhakert » Wed Mar 16, 2011 7:50 pm

Peekay80 wrote:Attending! Finally got my papers from my job, so I'll be on my way! Thanks to the 1Ls for the assistance and information over these past few months. See you guys this summer!


Congratulations!

jdhakert
Posts: 80
Joined: Fri Nov 05, 2010 2:04 am

Re: Pittsburgh 2011

Postby jdhakert » Wed Mar 16, 2011 7:52 pm

bport hopeful wrote:Getting pissed at Pitt. Ruining my spring break.


Is it about scholly money or acceptance? I definitely think you're going to get in, and definitely think you're going to get money and soon because this is "withdrawal season" if you will




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google Adsense [Bot] and 5 guests