Pittsburgh 2011

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
jack duluoz

Re: Pittsburgh 2011

Postby jack duluoz » Fri Mar 11, 2011 3:51 pm

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000142 ... 24322.html

Another dumbass republican governor on a power trip is threatening to cut the budget for PA public universities by 52%. It seems that this cut will mostly hurt in-state tuition levels, making them more similar to the out of state rate. So if you're thinking about getting in state tuition your 2l or 3l year, then the difference in rates may be negligible.

I know a few classmates that voted for this guy, too. smh.

I understand that we need a more balanced budget, but how about the newly erected/ environment polluting/ billion dollar Marcellus Shale natural gas industry the state government refuses to tax?????

The republicans don't want people to be educated because they realize liberalism is a product of not being a moron. BTW, I am a registered republican, but these retards (shout out to Rahm) have sent me running to the left this past decade.

There's a facebook group to join if you're pissed off.

bigbubba

Postby bigbubba » Fri Mar 11, 2011 3:56 pm

rs2004 wrote:I think those who are planning to go to law school through loans (at any ranked school) need to have a night where he or she looks at the hard numbers and faces the financial reality. if you expect to take out $100,000 in federal loans, you should expect to pay about $625 monthly on a graduated payment plan. that is the least amount you can pay but also you'll be paying back a multiplier of what you really owe over an extended period of time. If you land a job w a yearly salary of $50,000, you'll get about $2,500 a month after taxes. After rent/mortgage payments, bills, etc, and you are okay with living on the difference, then you are okay. but hey, if your monthly payments are overwhelming you, then your other life choices are affected, where you live, what you eat, limitations on social life and activities, etc.

That's the point I think I'm at in my decision right now. I'm okay with not making 100K(unrealistic IMO since I don't want have my life owned by a big firm) but the amount of potential debt is a big looming factor as I already have little to my name. I always imagined going to law school in the city for a few years but the the cost of tuition for KU (around 27k out of state) plus 12.5k scholly is hard to overlook. A point a buddy of mine has been making is that city life is nice.. if you can afford the lifestyle. After reading some of these posts... life in the basketball town of Lawrence for a few years(msot likely Kansas City for jobs after grad) is starting to look better.

gin

Postby gin » Fri Mar 11, 2011 4:01 pm

I know this is not the forum for this but I've been wanting to get this out of my system for a long time:
I do understand that we need to fix the budget problem but what I don't understand is why people who don't make that much money and are pursuing that same "american dream" john bohener is always crying about have to take the bigger hit while people who's income allows them to absorb a hit are given tax breaks which worsens the budget problem (cognitive disonace anyone).

ok I'm done

rs2004

Postby rs2004 » Fri Mar 11, 2011 4:03 pm

gin wrote:I know this is not the forum for this but I've been wanting to get this out of my system for a long time:
I do understand that we need to fix the budget problem but what I don't understand is why people who don't make that much money and are pursuing that same "american dream" john bohener is always crying about have to take the bigger hit while people who's income allows them to absorb a hit are given tax breaks which worsens the budget problem (cognitive disonace anyone).

ok I'm done

tax attorneys

HeavenWood

Postby HeavenWood » Fri Mar 11, 2011 4:05 pm

jack duluoz wrote:http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052748704758904576188633406924322.html

Another dumbass republican governor on a power trip is threatening to cut the budget for PA public universities by 52%. It seems that this cut will mostly hurt in-state tuition levels, making them more similar to the out of state rate. So if you're thinking about getting in state tuition your 2l or 3l year, then the difference in rates may be negligible.

I understand that we need a more balanced budget, but how about the newly erected/ environment polluting/ billion dollar Marcellus Shale natural gas industry the state government refuses to tax?????

The republicans don't want people to be educated because they realize liberalism is a product of not being a moron. BTW, I am a registered republican, but these retards (shout out to Rahm) have sent me running to the left this past decade.

I'm not a Corbett fan, but I question you on this point. As an undergraduate, I've met more than my fair share of dumb liberals. Although personal ideology does not cleanly line up with party affiliation, it may interest you to know that the more educated one is, the more likely he/she is to vote Republican (up to a Bachelor's degree--holders of post-graduate degrees are increasingly more Democrat). I disagree with Corbett's cutting of Commonwealth funding for education, but reductive statements like these (however sarcastic they may be) serve little to no purpose. Remember: Fast Eddie was also biased against the state-related universities. Corbett just happens to be taking this to the next level.

OGR3

Postby OGR3 » Fri Mar 11, 2011 4:15 pm

I've met idiots on both sides of the aisle. A college roommate of mine is in the country's top Doctor of Audiology program at Vanderbilt and is a staunch conservative. My best friend from high school is an unapologetic libertarian. I am as bleeding heart hippie liberal as one can get without smelling like patchouli.

I think what Jack's trying to get at is without a decent education, one is much less likely to have the tools necessary to be an objective participant in democracy. You'll be that much more likely to listen to whatever mindless drivel is passed off as news on cable or around the water cooler.

OGR3

Postby OGR3 » Fri Mar 11, 2011 4:16 pm

Now please, let's try to keep the discussion on Pitt.

gin

Postby gin » Fri Mar 11, 2011 4:17 pm

HeavenWood wrote:I'm not a Corbett fan, but I question you on this point. As an undergraduate, I've met more than my fair share of dumb liberals. Although personal ideology does not cleanly line up with party affiliation, it may interest you to know that the more educated one is, the more likely he/she is to vote Republican (up to a Bachelor's degree--holders of post-graduate degrees are increasingly more Democrat). I disagree with Corbett's cutting of Commonwealth funding for education, but reductive statements like these (however sarcastic they may be) serve little to no purpose. Remember: Fast Eddie was also biased against the state-related universities. Corbett just happens to be taking this to the next level.

+1
I'm not a republican but I could give you a list of Republicans who are actually rational. putting everyone in the same group kind of serves no purpouse. I could also give you a list of Democrats who are just as thick amd iderologically driven as some Republicans, and are in fact also worsening the budget problem.
The bachelor's and Republican correlation might be related more with the increased income than the higher education though.
I smell another derailment but oh well, its not like there is any movement

jack duluoz

Postby jack duluoz » Fri Mar 11, 2011 5:15 pm

lol. I am a republican!

My post wasnt supposed to be a derailment. If Corbett gets his budget passed, then tuition is very likely to go up, which someone should consider if they're thinking about attending Pitt.

kk19131

Postby kk19131 » Fri Mar 11, 2011 5:19 pm

Sigh, it's too bad my state is full of old people.

Maybe if we didn't spend so much taking care of sick old people we'd be ok. :lol:

LeDique

Postby LeDique » Fri Mar 11, 2011 6:28 pm

I'm going to be withdrawing on Monday.

HOPEFORCHANGE

Postby HOPEFORCHANGE » Fri Mar 11, 2011 6:54 pm

kk19131 wrote:Sigh, it's too bad my state is full of old people.

Maybe if we didn't spend so much taking care of sick old people we'd be ok. :lol:

- 1. Someone has to do it. Sorry. Hit a nerve. I know, it was a joke.

Well, how about this, to get back on PITT, Allegheny county has the second largest population of senior citizens in the country. Pitt has a good Elder Law program and clinic. So, if you like Elder Law, Pitt is a good place for a law student (for example).

kartal

Postby kartal » Sat Mar 12, 2011 2:19 pm

rs2004 wrote:I think those who are planning to go to law school through loans (at any ranked school) need to have a night where he or she looks at the hard numbers and faces the financial reality. if you expect to take out $100,000 in federal loans, you should expect to pay about $625 monthly on a graduated payment plan. that is the least amount you can pay but also you'll be paying back a multiplier of what you really owe over an extended period of time. If you land a job w a yearly salary of $50,000, you'll get about $2,500 a month after taxes. After rent/mortgage payments, bills, etc, and you are okay with living on the difference, then you are okay. but hey, if your monthly payments are overwhelming you, then your other life choices are affected, where you live, what you eat, limitations on social life and activities, etc.

Also, do not forget that there is an income-based repayment plan for federal loans which caps your monthly payment based on your income level and if you work in public service for 10 years, then the remaining balance of your loan is erased at the end of 10 years per Public Service Loan Forgiveness program as a result of the College Cost Reduction and Access Act of 2007. So, if your are committed for public service for at least 10 years, there are no issues. Go for it! There is no reason that you have to start your career with Big Law Firms.

HarveyBirdman

Postby HarveyBirdman » Sat Mar 12, 2011 11:10 pm

OGR3 wrote:
Getting instate tuition certainly isn't a lock, but it's relatively easy. I got it this fall (so I'll have all three years at resident rates) and a fellow 1L got it this semester.

Wait, it sounds like you're saying you're from out of state, but you got in state tuition rates for all three years. Huh? Did you move to Pittsburgh 12 months before school started or something?

OGR3

Postby OGR3 » Sat Mar 12, 2011 11:57 pm

HarveyBirdman wrote:
OGR3 wrote:
Getting instate tuition certainly isn't a lock, but it's relatively easy. I got it this fall (so I'll have all three years at resident rates) and a fellow 1L got it this semester.

Wait, it sounds like you're saying you're from out of state, but you got in state tuition rates for all three years. Huh? Did you move to Pittsburgh 12 months before school started or something?

I arrived approximately a month before school started. Granted, I purchased a condo, and was able to use the fact I'm paying property taxes in my residency appeal. But with Pittsburgh's low housing prices, I was able to get a 2 bed, 2 bath, 3 floor unit in a gorgeous century old building for just over $100K. My mortgage and HOA payments are around the same I'd pay in rent for a much smaller place closer to campus.

BarbellDreams

Postby BarbellDreams » Sun Mar 13, 2011 1:41 am

If you own property it's virtually a lock. I heard from 2Ls its not very easy otherwise.

OGR3

Postby OGR3 » Sun Mar 13, 2011 11:45 am

BarbellDreams wrote:If you own property it's virtually a lock. I heard from 2Ls its not very easy otherwise.

Not true.

northwood

Postby northwood » Sun Mar 13, 2011 11:51 am

if i get a PA drivers licence- register my car in PA, change my bank accounts to a pa bank, get a 12 month lease, and look for summer work in pa- do you think i will havwe a decent shot at PA residency as a 2L?

I know purchasing real estate is a great way to establishing state residencey, but thats not an option. Im looking at living in an apt until im ready to start a family- which i have no plans on doing so for a long time.

OGR3

Postby OGR3 » Sun Mar 13, 2011 12:40 pm

northwood wrote:if i get a PA drivers licence- register my car in PA, change my bank accounts to a pa bank, get a 12 month lease, and look for summer work in pa- do you think i will havwe a decent shot at PA residency as a 2L?

I know purchasing real estate is a great way to establishing state residencey, but thats not an option. Im looking at living in an apt until im ready to start a family- which i have no plans on doing so for a long time.

You will have a decent shot. The main reason why I think people view the process as difficult is they think they have to sign a declaration saying they will stay in the state for a certain amount of time after graduation. That's one of the options you can take to show your commitment to staying in the state, but in my opinion it's unnecessary (neither myself or the other 1L I know who got residency did that).

Everyone gets denied at first, then you just appeal in writing and they'll bring you in front of a panel of administrators not affiliated with the law school and you talk about Pittsburgh and how much you love it/why you came here. They were all really nice and I was granted residency the next day.

jdhakert

Postby jdhakert » Sun Mar 13, 2011 12:57 pm

jack duluoz wrote:http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052748704758904576188633406924322.html

What an ignoramus comment.

HOPEFORCHANGE

Postby HOPEFORCHANGE » Sun Mar 13, 2011 3:12 pm

This is the Pitt board. Not the Financial Aid or Politics board. I am not referring to the posts about residency, by the way.

BarbellDreams

Postby BarbellDreams » Sun Mar 13, 2011 4:09 pm

OGR3 wrote:
northwood wrote:if i get a PA drivers licence- register my car in PA, change my bank accounts to a pa bank, get a 12 month lease, and look for summer work in pa- do you think i will havwe a decent shot at PA residency as a 2L?

You will have a decent shot. The main reason why I think people view the process as difficult is they think they have to sign a declaration saying they will stay in the state for a certain amount of time after graduation. That's one of the options you can take to show your commitment to staying in the state, but in my opinion it's unnecessary (neither myself or the other 1L I know who got residency did that).

Everyone gets denied at first, then you just appeal in writing and they'll bring you in front of a panel of administrators not affiliated with the law school and you talk about Pittsburgh and how much you love it/why you came here. They were all really nice and I was granted residency the next day.

You own property. Multiple 2Ls from PLISF say it's not nearly as easy as your case was.

I have my car registered, PA license, 12 month lease and hopefully interning in PA this summer, but thats all I really bring to the table. We'll see next year I guess, though with them raising in state tuition (most likely) not sure how big of a difference it will be.

kk19131

Postby kk19131 » Sun Mar 13, 2011 4:18 pm

Anybody going to the cocktail reception in Philadelphia next week?

... I assume this means free booze? :lol:

OGR3

Postby OGR3 » Sun Mar 13, 2011 4:21 pm

BarbellDreams wrote:
OGR3 wrote:

You own property. Multiple 2Ls from PLISF say it's not nearly as easy as your case was.

I have my car registered, PA license, 12 month lease and hopefully interning in PA this summer, but thats all I really bring to the table. We'll see next year I guess, though with them raising in state tuition (most likely) not sure how big of a difference it will be.

Maybe they just didn't want the hippies from PLISF getting free money. You should register to vote here, that should help significantly. Do everything on the list you're able to minus signing the declaration. Also, the other 1L who was granted residency this semester doesn't own property.

They seemed to place a lot of emphasis on working in the state, so if you were to work outside the state for 1L summer, I would imagine it would hurt your application considerably.

BarbellDreams

Postby BarbellDreams » Sun Mar 13, 2011 4:45 pm

I think that declaration is kind of funny. Majority of 1L's I met keep telling me how much they love Pittsburgh and they are here to stay yet won't sign the declaration. Isn't it a commitment for like 3-5 years post grad?

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”