BarbellDreams wrote:The basics of it is that every single person in your incoming class will say they will work hard and do it. 100% of them. I don't know many people that blow off class (well, one comes to mind. Bedsole, wanna guess who I am thinking about?), don't do the reading, don't study late and don't outline or use supplements. Everyone does that, and everyone spends long hours on it. You can't bank on that getting you through this. You also can't bank on being intelligent getting you good grades here either. When you have your first socratic method you'll realize there are people in your section who are just as smart and smarter than you and they think and say things you barely understand. No matter how smart you are or think you are this will happen. Finally, you're not competing against just the test, you're competing against every single other person in the classroom taking the test. How much studying you do and how well you know the material doesn't really matter because in some class (Read: Torts) everything is so straight forward that everyone gets everything. Under Pitt's curve, 20% get As/A-s, so basically you can have the most amazing paper in the world and if another 20% also have an amazing paper you're screwed and you're getting a B+ even if you "studied real hard" or gunned or whatever.
The point is grades are at least somewhat arbitrary and unpredictable. Going to law school with the mindset of "I am going to outwork everyone and land in the top 10% because I've done it my whole life and can do it here too" is arguably the absolute worst mindset you can come to law school with. When parents say "My son/daughter is smart, I know he/she will land in the top 10%" they don't realize that the mom's of the other 90% are also saying the same thing. Everyone is smart enough, everyone will work just as hard as you, and everyone thinks they have what it takes, but 90% can't make it in so something has got to give.
I'm afraid I'll derail the threat again especially since I might not even get in but this kind of peaked my interest (+ god knows I love some good doom and gloom)
What's the break down for the grading curve? you said that 20% can get As. How many get Bs, Cs and so on