Pittsburgh 2011

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
HeavenWood

Re: Pittsburgh 2011

Postby HeavenWood » Thu Nov 11, 2010 6:08 pm

Spinozist21 wrote:Well, I am one of the few it seems that did not get the under review email...although I was told when I went to visit that they are holding ED applications so it is likely that non ED'ers will get notifications before us ED applicants.

Anyways, I got an acceptance from Penn State today, so that was pretty good.

When did you submit/go complete?

Spinozist21

Postby Spinozist21 » Thu Nov 11, 2010 6:14 pm

HeavenWood wrote:
Spinozist21 wrote:Well, I am one of the few it seems that did not get the under review email...although I was told when I went to visit that they are holding ED applications so it is likely that non ED'ers will get notifications before us ED applicants.

At Pitt? Like the end of September.

October 1st for Penn State I believe.

dreakol

Postby dreakol » Sat Nov 13, 2010 2:34 pm

I am really surprised how active this thread is, especially on TLS! :D

Received an email from them saying I was good to go and should find out sooner or later.

I am worried about Pitt YP'ing me, though. Pitt didn't have a "Why Pitt," essay, right? I assuming not since I would have for sure wrote one.

Barbie

Postby Barbie » Sat Nov 13, 2010 2:39 pm

Spinozist21 wrote:
HeavenWood wrote:

How did you find out about Penn State? I submitted in September and haven't herad anything. Are you in state?

Trip Coker

Postby Trip Coker » Sat Nov 13, 2010 3:19 pm

Barbie wrote:
How did you find out about Penn State? I submitted in September and haven't herad anything. Are you in state?

Penn State sent me an acceptance e-mail on Thursday. I think I applied in mid to late September. I am a PA resident but apparently Penn State is a private school since they bought out Dickinson so I don't know if residency matters. @drekol...what were your numbers that you are afraid of being YP'd? From what I read in another thread if they WL you for what you suspect is YP reasons you just need to send them a "Why X" LOCI and they will probably let you in.

Barbie

Postby Barbie » Sat Nov 13, 2010 3:19 pm

Trip Coker wrote:
Barbie wrote:

Penn State sent me an acceptance e-mail on Thursday. I think I applied in mid to late September. I am a PA resident but apparently Penn State is a private school since they bought out Dickinson so I don't know if residency matters. @drekol...what were your numbers that you are afraid of being YP'd? From what I read in another thread if they WL you for what you suspect is YP reasons you just need to send them a "Why X" LOCI and they will probably let you in.

What are your numbers Trip?

and I went complete at Penn State 10/1. Was pretty confident.. hmm..

Trip Coker

Postby Trip Coker » Sat Nov 13, 2010 3:32 pm

Barbie wrote:

3.67/164. I put all my numbers and applications in my profile to try to help everybody out. The whole YP thing scares me since even though I applied to a lot of higher ranked schools I really wouldn't mind going back home to the City of Champions. I was happy to get the Penn State acceptance though since it means if all else fails I will end up somewhere next year.

dreakol

Postby dreakol » Sat Nov 13, 2010 3:43 pm

@Trip:
3.67 and 169.

If I get dinged from the T-20 schools i applied to plus Minnesota, Pitt is my top choice.

Family is from Upper St. Clair and the city has had a special place in my heart for as long as I can remember.

Barbie

Postby Barbie » Sat Nov 13, 2010 3:44 pm

Trip Coker wrote:
Barbie wrote:

3.67/164. I put all my numbers and applications in my profile to try to help everybody out. The whole YP thing scares me since even though I applied to a lot of higher ranked schools I really wouldn't mind going back home to the City of Champions. I was happy to get the Penn State acceptance though since it means if all else fails I will end up somewhere next year.

Not at all bashing your #s because they are good, but I don't think there is even a chance you would be YP'd.

Trip Coker

Postby Trip Coker » Sat Nov 13, 2010 3:52 pm

Barbie wrote:
Not at all bashing your #s because they are good, but I don't think there is even a chance you would be YP'd.

LOL. No offense taken! If you come from Wexford, PA you are raised with an undeserved sense that you are better than everyone else. It takes a while for the real world to beat that out of you. This whole law school application process is helping though. WL'd at W&L. I am not a beautiful and unique snowflake :D

jack duluoz

Postby jack duluoz » Sat Nov 13, 2010 3:57 pm

Pitt is not going to YP you guys. They'll just offer money. I think most YPing goes on at schools like American or George Mason where the adcomms are aware someone with high numbers is really looking at VA or Gtown, whereas Pitt is the dominant school in western pa, so there are plently of reasons applicants with superior numbers are targeting pitt other than a fallback option.

Trip Coker

Postby Trip Coker » Sat Nov 13, 2010 4:08 pm

jack duluoz wrote:Pitt is not going to YP you guys. They'll just offer money. I think most YPing goes on at schools like American or George Mason where the adcomms are aware someone with high numbers is really looking at VA or Gtown, whereas Pitt is the dominant school in western pa, so there are plently of reasons applicants with superior numbers are targeting pitt other than a fallback option.

Thanks for the insight. Best of luck with the rest of the semester. Go Steelers.

Peekay80

Postby Peekay80 » Sat Nov 13, 2010 7:33 pm

I am happy to help the Pitt forumstay afloat on TLS. I went complete same time as you Barbie at Dickinson, and I'm still under review since 10/26. Having lived all over USA, middle east and now the Caribbean, Pitt is a pretty awesome option for me as I want to settle down and have a "normal" life in a strong community ( plus I need a National league team so I can see my Mets play. Hopefully the decisions start rolling in soon!

Mpeterson4

Postby Mpeterson4 » Sat Nov 13, 2010 10:02 pm

Trip Coker wrote:
Barbie wrote:

LOL. No offense taken! If you come from Wexford, PA you are raised with an undeserved sense that you are better than everyone else. It takes a while for the real world to beat that out of you. This whole law school application process is helping though. WL'd at W&L. I am not a beautiful and unique snowflake :D

Also being from the Wexford area (NA High School) I will agree we all have that sense about our selves...

Spinozist21

Postby Spinozist21 » Sun Nov 14, 2010 12:12 am

Barbie wrote:
Spinozist21 wrote:
HeavenWood wrote:

How did you submit to Penn State in September when you couldn't submit until Oct 1st? LOL. Just asking.

I found out on 11/11 via email

Spinozist21

Postby Spinozist21 » Sun Nov 14, 2010 12:18 am

It is a little weird that my numbers are lower than ya'lls and I found out about PSU so soon. I just hope that doesn't mean that Im screwed for the other schools to which I applied...I am not a very lucky individual LOL.

Barbie

Postby Barbie » Sun Nov 14, 2010 4:47 am

Spinozist21 wrote:
Barbie wrote:
Spinozist21 wrote:At Pitt? Like the end of September.

How did you submit to Penn State in September when you couldn't submit until Oct 1st? LOL. Just asking.

I found out on 11/11 via email

hmm. weird... I have on my "wall" that I went complete on 10/1 (assumingly that I submitted prior). I applied to 23 schools so I don't much remember when I submitted. I suppose I must have submitted and gone complete on the same day?

HeavenWood

Postby HeavenWood » Sun Nov 14, 2010 11:51 am

Spinozist21 wrote:It is a little weird that my numbers are lower than ya'lls and I found out about PSU so soon. I just hope that doesn't mean that Im screwed for the other schools to which I applied...I am not a very lucky individual LOL.

Dickinson is rolling; you sent your stuff in early, so it's natural you found out early.

I wouldn't be too worried about Pitt. You should be in for ED (you may have to pay sticker, but you'll be in).

Dr. Review

Postby Dr. Review » Sun Nov 14, 2010 1:11 pm

OGR3 wrote:I know a guy who actually has the guts to wear his Ravens jersey.

There's a guy in my section who regularly wears his Browns jersey to class...
Also, I was the model median student for last year's cycle. I was AT median for both LSAT and GPA, and I got $8k/yr... so there's some $$ hope for those of you in the same boat.

Spinozist21

Postby Spinozist21 » Sun Nov 14, 2010 2:18 pm

HeavenWood wrote:
Spinozist21 wrote:It is a little weird that my numbers are lower than ya'lls and I found out about PSU so soon. I just hope that doesn't mean that Im screwed for the other schools to which I applied...I am not a very lucky individual LOL.

Dickinson is rolling; you sent your stuff in early, so it's natural you found out early.

I wouldn't be too worried about Pitt. You should be in for ED (you may have to pay sticker, but you'll be in).

Idk if I am that confident about Pitt, although I guess I should have confidence. I am a little frustrated that there isn't better communication and that ED applicants are held. Oh well. I don't really want to pay sticker, and I was hoping applying early with a good gpa would give me a little help. I'm not thinking I'll get a ton or anything but I'd hope if I got in I'd get a little. We'll see I guess lol.

brochocinco

Postby brochocinco » Sun Nov 14, 2010 3:36 pm

Spinozist21 wrote:
HeavenWood wrote:

Idk if I am that confident about Pitt, although I guess I should have confidence. I am a little frustrated that there isn't better communication and that ED applicants are held. Oh well. I don't really want to pay sticker, and I was hoping applying early with a good gpa would give me a little help. I'm not thinking I'll get a ton or anything but I'd hope if I got in I'd get a little. We'll see I guess lol.

I feel the same way. I didn't apply ED just because I didn't want to HAVE to pay sticker. I'm hoping for a little scholly help and some financial aid

joeshmo39

Postby joeshmo39 » Sun Nov 14, 2010 3:41 pm

Mpeterson4 wrote:
Trip Coker wrote:
Barbie wrote:

Also being from the Wexford area (NA High School) I will agree we all have that sense about our selves...

I disagree. Did North Hills trolls start running this thread? One more comment like that and I'll get in the Audi my dad bought me and come straighten you out.

HeavenWood

Postby HeavenWood » Sun Nov 14, 2010 3:55 pm

Last edited by HeavenWood on Sun Nov 14, 2010 6:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Barbie

Postby Barbie » Sun Nov 14, 2010 5:28 pm

joeshmo39 wrote:
Mpeterson4 wrote:
Trip Coker wrote:
Barbie wrote:

I disagree. Did North Hills trolls start running this thread? One more comment like that and I'll get in the Audi my dad bought me and come straighten you out.

LOL! When I first read this I thought it was a direct snub at me (I posted in another thread that my dad just bought me a new car this weekend- Audi a6). I will need to ask him what part of Pittsburgh we lived in... I don't remember because I was just in grade school.

reverendt

Postby reverendt » Sun Nov 14, 2010 5:32 pm

Pitt 3L here....happy to answer any questions about the school or the town.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”