Pittsburgh 2011

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
LeDique

Re: Pittsburgh 2011

Postby LeDique » Mon Feb 28, 2011 11:35 pm

hscohen wrote:
LeDique wrote:I also talked with the Director of Admissions. While Allie was really nice and friendly, I can't really say it was a helpful conversation. She _really_ sugarcoated things and would speak broadly more than specifically, especially when I was asking about employment. Overall, if you're visiting, there might be someone more useful to talk to, or I might even consider skipping it altogether. I didn't really feel like I had learned anything new from talking to her.

I spoke to Charmaine McCall, Assistant Dean of Admissions and Financial Aid, when I was there. Very friendly and helpful; she even wrote a personalized congratulatory note on the bottom of my acceptance letter. The class that I sat in on was similarly a very positive experience. Several students approached me before the class started to introduce themselves to me, knowing that I was a visiting student because they did not recognize me. There appears to be a high amount of camaraderie among Pitt Law's 1L's, aided by the fact that Pitt divides its 1L's into three 80-person sections and that these sections share all of their first-year classes. I look forward to seeing the Law building's basement once it is finished, as it was likewise under construction during my visit, and am excited to meet you all next Fall!

-Hal

I definitely don't mean to be putting the staff down at all in any way, to be clear for everyone. I do think she was answering my questions the best she could without discouraging me from going to Pitt. For the average applicant, I reckon those visits and conversations are helpful. For someone who has been reading this and other threads on TLS, I found it less helpful. Some helpful points were made, of course, and she told me about a few things (ie: section size, like you noted). But I felt these were largely ones I could have gotten from reading Pitt's website, or one of those e-mails they sent me.
Besides the TLSers, the only person I talked to was a girl who told me that I was in her seat. She made me move over literally one seat. Oh, and the guy on the other side of me who only asked if I was currently an undergrad.

bport hopeful

Postby bport hopeful » Mon Feb 28, 2011 11:54 pm

Just for S&Gs, what do you guys think is significant leverage?

OGR3

Postby OGR3 » Tue Mar 01, 2011 12:05 am

LeDique wrote:
hscohen wrote:
LeDique wrote:I also talked with the Director of Admissions. While Allie was really nice and friendly, I can't really say it was a helpful conversation. She _really_ sugarcoated things and would speak broadly more than specifically, especially when I was asking about employment. Overall, if you're visiting, there might be someone more useful to talk to, or I might even consider skipping it altogether. I didn't really feel like I had learned anything new from talking to her.

I spoke to Charmaine McCall, Assistant Dean of Admissions and Financial Aid, when I was there. Very friendly and helpful; she even wrote a personalized congratulatory note on the bottom of my acceptance letter. The class that I sat in on was similarly a very positive experience. Several students approached me before the class started to introduce themselves to me, knowing that I was a visiting student because they did not recognize me. There appears to be a high amount of camaraderie among Pitt Law's 1L's, aided by the fact that Pitt divides its 1L's into three 80-person sections and that these sections share all of their first-year classes. I look forward to seeing the Law building's basement once it is finished, as it was likewise under construction during my visit, and am excited to meet you all next Fall!

-Hal

I definitely don't mean to be putting the staff down at all in any way, to be clear for everyone. I do think she was answering my questions the best she could without discouraging me from going to Pitt. For the average applicant, I reckon those visits and conversations are helpful. For someone who has been reading this and other threads on TLS, I found it less helpful. Some helpful points were made, of course, and she told me about a few things (ie: section size, like you noted). But I felt these were largely ones I could have gotten from reading Pitt's website, or one of those e-mails they sent me.
Besides the TLSers, the only person I talked to was a girl who told me that I was in her seat. She made me move over literally one seat. Oh, and the guy on the other side of me who only asked if I was currently an undergrad.

Welcome to the life of a law school admissions officer. Allie was far and away the most honest and helpful admissions staff I spoke with during my law school search.

Just an FYI, Section A is full of weirdos. The only normals are the TLSers (minus Bedsole). Section C has a higher ratio of people with social skills, but we also have the most gunners. :(

VTOrange19

Postby VTOrange19 » Tue Mar 01, 2011 12:05 am

Bedsole wrote:
VTOrange19 wrote:Bedsole, saw you're from Charlotte. How would you compare Pittsburgh to the Queen City?

They're pretty different. I like them both a lot.

Pittsburgh is a lot more fragmented. The city is split up into townships and boroughs, so it doesn't feel like a city in quite the same way that Charlotte does. The metro areas have about the same number of people. The city itself seems more compact than Charlotte, although I think the suburbs are a little more spread out than Charlotte, so Pittsburgh utilizes the bus system a bit more.

I like Pittsburgh a lot, although I think I probably still like Charlotte a little better. I did spend a lot of time in Charlotte, and the weather tends to be quite a bit better during the winter months, so I am a little biased. Both places have plenty to do.

If you're looking for anything specific, feel free to ask, as I am not really sure how familiar you are with either one, and I don't know what sort of comparisons you are looking for.

That answer was good, I was just trying to get your general feel for the city. Charlotte is the up-and-coming, young people making money city (as I see it) and Pittsburgh is more of an older, laid back, good place to be for reasons other than an uptown bar scene (from the bunch of times I have visited). I like the difference. I definitely don't hate Charlotte, but its mostly for the people here.

Pitt is my top choice, and of course I am not even in review yet because I had to take the February LSAT. Hate that it had to come to it, but hopefully the timing will be offset with a good score and crush all doubt. Do you guys think if an app submitted in February and held until early March could get insta-accepted if the LSAT score was good enough on it??

bport hopeful

Postby bport hopeful » Tue Mar 01, 2011 12:10 am

Well, pitt has been super slow thus far, so that doesnt seem likely.

miazdc

Postby miazdc » Tue Mar 01, 2011 1:08 pm

I've been on the scholarship waitlist for a while, and I just sent an email that essentially said, "are you going to give me any money or not? I need to know." Fingers crossed!

BarbellDreams

Postby BarbellDreams » Tue Mar 01, 2011 2:03 pm

OGR3 wrote:
LeDique wrote:
hscohen wrote:

-Hal

Welcome to the life of a law school admissions officer. Allie was far and away the most honest and helpful admissions staff I spoke with during my law school search.

Just an FYI, Section A is full of weirdos. The only normals are the TLSers (minus Bedsole). Section C has a higher ratio of people with social skills, but we also have the most gunners. :(

Haha, actually section C are the outcasts while sections A and B hang out with each other. I think I know a total of 5 people from section C cause they kinda only run in their own pack.

nshapkar

Postby nshapkar » Tue Mar 01, 2011 4:45 pm

anybody that has gone under review on1/20 still waiting on an answer? I'm taking the year off, so whether I'm in or not really doesn't matter, but for some reason I can't stop checking the status.

bport hopeful

Postby bport hopeful » Tue Mar 01, 2011 4:47 pm

nshapkar wrote:anybody that has gone under review on1/20 still waiting on an answer? I'm taking the year off, so whether I'm in or not really doesn't matter, but for some reason I can't stop checking the status.

I would fall into that boat.

northwood

Postby northwood » Tue Mar 01, 2011 4:48 pm

i was ur 12/8. got my decision 2/4... its very possible that they are taking more time with your application than most.

bport hopeful

Postby bport hopeful » Tue Mar 01, 2011 4:49 pm

Also, I noticed that you put up that thread about taking a year off. I'd say if you got into Pitt it could change people's answers.

gin

Postby gin » Tue Mar 01, 2011 4:53 pm

nshapkar wrote:anybody that has gone under review on1/20 still waiting on an answer? I'm taking the year off, so whether I'm in or not really doesn't matter, but for some reason I can't stop checking the status.

1st UR-12/8, 2nd UR 1/25. The wait is killing me but at the same time I'm glad they haven't rejected me

Kinderby

Postby Kinderby » Tue Mar 01, 2011 5:01 pm

nshapkar wrote:anybody that has gone under review on1/20 still waiting on an answer?

Right here.

nshapkar

Postby nshapkar » Tue Mar 01, 2011 5:01 pm

gin wrote:

1st UR-12/8, 2nd UR 1/25. The wait is killing me but at the same time I'm glad they haven't rejected me

I know same here. I wish "well, if they haven't rejected me yet and I've been under review for so long my chances must be good" was solid reasoning haha.

bport hopeful

Postby bport hopeful » Tue Mar 01, 2011 5:02 pm

WTF is taking so long? Another batch this week? What day?

I need geedee answers over here.

gin

Postby gin » Tue Mar 01, 2011 5:11 pm

nshapkar wrote:
gin wrote:

I know same here. I wish "well, if they haven't rejected me yet and I've been under review for so long my chances must be good" was solid reasoning haha.

haha how I wish that was solid reasoning too. I'm starting to suspect that it is gonna go down with my "the more you refresh the faster a decision will be rendered". When I finally got a hold of them and asked them about it, they made it sound like they just needed more info

ChriLa425

Postby ChriLa425 » Tue Mar 01, 2011 5:16 pm

Hey everyone, just withdrew, hopefully someone gets good news out of it!

nshapkar

Postby nshapkar » Tue Mar 01, 2011 5:19 pm

gin wrote:
nshapkar wrote:
gin wrote:

haha how I wish that was solid reasoning too. I'm starting to suspect that it is gonna go down with my "the more you refresh the faster a decision will be rendered". When I finally got a hold of them and asked them about it, they made it sound like they just needed more info

like what?

gin

Postby gin » Tue Mar 01, 2011 5:28 pm

nshapkar wrote:
like what?

I first got the email telling me they had out my app on hold so I assumed that meant a WL. So I sent them a LOCI (now that I know its not, I'm not sure if that was the right move). I would guess good things to send are a DS (if you haven't), a "Why Pitt" addendum, updated transcript or resume. I'm just guessing tho. On my LOIC I basically went: hey whats up....this is what I've been up to and why I wana go to Pitt

corvettekid

Postby corvettekid » Tue Mar 01, 2011 5:32 pm

This is a joke... out of the 10 schools I've applied to, this is one of two I haven't heard back from yet. If above poster is correct about being out of merit scholarship money, well then that is even a bigger joke.

Oh well, I suppose if they give me no money that will make my decision much easier since there is no way I'm paying sticker for any school.

HeavenWood

Postby HeavenWood » Tue Mar 01, 2011 5:33 pm

corvettekid wrote:This is a joke... out of the 10 schools I've applied to, this is one of two I haven't heard back from yet. If above poster is correct about being out of merit scholarship money, well then that is even a bigger joke.

Oh well, I suppose if they give me no money that will make my decision much easier since there is no way I'm paying sticker for any school.

NOT EVEN YALE?!?!?!?!?!

ChriLa425

Postby ChriLa425 » Tue Mar 01, 2011 5:33 pm

corvettekid wrote:This is a joke... out of the 10 schools I've applied to, this is one of two I haven't heard back from yet. If above poster is correct about being out of merit scholarship money, well then that is even a bigger joke.

perhaps if you sold your corvette?

northwood

Postby northwood » Tue Mar 01, 2011 5:42 pm

Kinderby wrote:
nshapkar wrote:anybody that has gone under review on1/20 still waiting on an answer?

Right here.

hope you get in!

corvettekid

Postby corvettekid » Tue Mar 01, 2011 5:53 pm

HeavenWood wrote:

NOT EVEN YALE?!?!?!?!?!

No, don't think it would be necessary for Patent Law, and I'd prefer not to hate my life for three years with all the competition there. Not saying my stats are amazing, but thats why I didn't apply to any reach schools, no to little money is not worth it to me in this economy (or any economy). Sticker at one of those schools with living expenses and such is lets just say $140-180k. We'll call it $160k, and at an interest rate of 7% paid over 10 years is about $1900 a month... which brings your lovely total of law school to almost $230,000. If you add those payments to your house payment and other expenses after school... its taking you a long time to get out of the red.

ChriLa425 wrote:

perhaps if you sold your corvette?

hahaha, NEVER! That car helps me project success, lol.

HeavenWood

Postby HeavenWood » Tue Mar 01, 2011 6:00 pm

corvettekid wrote:No, don't think it would be necessary for Patent Law, and I'd prefer not to hate my life for three years with all the competition there. Not saying my stats are amazing, but thats why I didn't apply to any reach schools, no to little money is not worth it to me in this economy (or any economy). Sticker at one of those schools with living expenses and such is lets just say $140-180k. We'll call it $160k, and at an interest rate of 7% paid over 10 years is about $1900 a month... which brings your lovely total of law school to almost $230,000. If you add those payments to your house payment and other expenses after school... its taking you a long time to get out of the red.

I was trolling you, but your response is priceless. Yale is as close to a guaranteed meal ticket as one can get coming out of law school (IE, it's worth the 200k+ investment).

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”