Pittsburgh 2011

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
Dr. Review

Re: Pittsburgh 2011

Postby Dr. Review » Thu Feb 24, 2011 2:03 pm

OGR3 wrote:
Bedsole wrote:
northwood wrote:ill be making a guest appearance on 3/17.

any good hotels to stay in? ( and am i nuts for considering pitt at sticker??)

I stayed at the Wyndham when I visited. I stayed at Shadyside Inn when I came back up to move in.

Of course you did. If you can afford $850 for that ridiculous racing suit you wear around every day, you can afford to stay in a Wyndam...

It was only 150 a night or something like that. I don't know, I didn't pay for it, the show did.

nshapkar

Postby nshapkar » Thu Feb 24, 2011 2:19 pm

OGR3 wrote:
It was only 150 a night or something like that. I don't know, I didn't pay for it, the show did.

Did Jeremy try to have his way with you?

kk19131

Postby kk19131 » Thu Feb 24, 2011 11:43 pm

Nanosoft wrote:Does Pittsburgh offer any sort of stipend or hotel accommodations for visits?

I got something in the mail that says they'll pay for a hotel room the night before ASD.

VTOrange19

Postby VTOrange19 » Fri Feb 25, 2011 12:12 am

Bedsole, saw you're from Charlotte. How would you compare Pittsburgh to the Queen City?

Dr. Review

Postby Dr. Review » Fri Feb 25, 2011 12:30 am

VTOrange19 wrote:Bedsole, saw you're from Charlotte. How would you compare Pittsburgh to the Queen City?

They're pretty different. I like them both a lot.

Pittsburgh is a lot more fragmented. The city is split up into townships and boroughs, so it doesn't feel like a city in quite the same way that Charlotte does. The metro areas have about the same number of people. The city itself seems more compact than Charlotte, although I think the suburbs are a little more spread out than Charlotte, so Pittsburgh utilizes the bus system a bit more.

I like Pittsburgh a lot, although I think I probably still like Charlotte a little better. I did spend a lot of time in Charlotte, and the weather tends to be quite a bit better during the winter months, so I am a little biased. Both places have plenty to do.

If you're looking for anything specific, feel free to ask, as I am not really sure how familiar you are with either one, and I don't know what sort of comparisons you are looking for.

kartal

Postby kartal » Fri Feb 25, 2011 1:17 am

When is the Admitted Student Day? If you know when, have you ever been notified by the school?

kartal

Postby kartal » Fri Feb 25, 2011 1:21 am

BarbellDreams wrote:Shadyside 1 bedrooms go for about $700-750 on average.

Squirrell Hill 1 BR go for about $700 on average.

North Oakland you can find stuff for $650.

South Oakland you can get stuff as low as $500, but this isn't the best neighborhood (though very close to the law school.

I live in Squirrel Hill, I really like it. Quiet residential neighborhood with a lot of bus routes to school.

Can you (and all others who currently attend Pitt Law) please provide us with the names of couple decent apartment complexes that have studios and 1BRs in Shadyside and Squirrel Hill?

mhd08

Postby mhd08 » Fri Feb 25, 2011 2:18 am

kartal wrote:
BarbellDreams wrote:Shadyside 1 bedrooms go for about $700-750 on average.

Squirrell Hill 1 BR go for about $700 on average.

North Oakland you can find stuff for $650.

South Oakland you can get stuff as low as $500, but this isn't the best neighborhood (though very close to the law school.

I live in Squirrel Hill, I really like it. Quiet residential neighborhood with a lot of bus routes to school.

Can you (and all others who currently attend Pitt Law) please provide us with the names of couple decent apartment complexes that have studios and 1BRs in Shadyside and Squirrel Hill?

I can't give you the name of any specific apartment complexes, but I can recommend two good management companies who own a handful of apartment complexes.

I rent from Walnut Capital and I really don't have any complaints, except that maintenance isn't always the speediest. But everyone I know who rents from them is really happy, and they were recommended to me last year when I was looking. I've also heard good things about Franklin West. I looked at some of their places online and they appear to be on the pricier side, although I can't be sure since online pictures aren't always accurate and they don't list prices. I heard bad things about Mozart, but I have friends who rent from them and are pretty happy. :?: Not really sure what to tell you there, but you might want to look into them as they have tons of buildings.

I would definitely recommend going with a management company over an individual owner or real estate agent. The latter tend to rent out the houses you'll see everywhere in Shadyside and Squirrel Hill. When I looked at the apartments within the houses, there was a noticeable difference in upkeep and cleanliness, and you won't get the same maintenance or, obviously, customer service that a management company can provide.

One more thing: if you have a pet be sure to start looking as soon as possible. I had a hard time finding an apartment that would allow cats.

northwood

Postby northwood » Fri Feb 25, 2011 7:41 am

kartal wrote:When is the Admitted Student Day? If you know when, have you ever been notified by the school?

april 8th, i do believe

HOPEFORCHANGE

Postby HOPEFORCHANGE » Fri Feb 25, 2011 9:27 am

Dear Pitt:

Please make my year and admit me today. I realize this would be super expeditious considering I only went UR on 2/17. Anyway, I'd love you forever.

Love,

HOPEFORCHANGE

Anyway, if anyone gets admitted/rejected today please let us know your UR date and stats. I will post mine whenever I get a decision in the distant future, even if I am rejected. I know it's tough to admit to that though...

kk19131

Postby kk19131 » Fri Feb 25, 2011 11:19 am

kartal wrote:When is the Admitted Student Day? If you know when, have you ever been notified by the school?

April 1st.

Yes.

Scurredsitless1

Postby Scurredsitless1 » Fri Feb 25, 2011 3:59 pm

I have some E&E's and other supplements if anyone is in the Pittsburgh area and would like to buy them. They're mostly old editions, so I will be selling them super cheap. I'll make a list of the topics we covered in class that relate to the books. PM me if you're interested or want a list of what is available.

Dr. Review

Postby Dr. Review » Fri Feb 25, 2011 4:01 pm

Scurredsitless1 wrote:I have some E&E's and other supplements if anyone is in the Pittsburgh area and would like to buy them. They're mostly old editions, so I will be selling them super cheap. I'll make a list of the topics we covered in class that relate to the books. PM me if you're interested or want a list of what is available.

I recently stepped on these E&E's, making them more valuable.

OGR3

Postby OGR3 » Fri Feb 25, 2011 4:05 pm

Bedsole wrote:
Scurredsitless1 wrote:I have some E&E's and other supplements if anyone is in the Pittsburgh area and would like to buy them. They're mostly old editions, so I will be selling them super cheap. I'll make a list of the topics we covered in class that relate to the books. PM me if you're interested or want a list of what is available.

I recently stepped on these E&E's, making them more valuable.

If they've been graced with the presence of Bedsole's feet, I'll take 'em. Name your price Scurred!

Scurredsitless1

Postby Scurredsitless1 » Fri Feb 25, 2011 4:38 pm

Super cheap. Like $10 a piece. I have many that Bedsole has not yet stepped upon.

rs2004

Postby rs2004 » Sat Feb 26, 2011 7:26 pm

so getting instate status after your first year is not difficult at pitt? would the people who are currently at pitt let me know because it looks to be impossible to get instate at temple after 1L.

Dr. Review

Postby Dr. Review » Sat Feb 26, 2011 7:28 pm

rs2004 wrote:so getting instate status after your first year is not difficult at pitt? would the people who are currently at pitt let me know because it looks to be impossible to get instate at temple after 1L.

Should be. Someone I know got it for 1L, but he bought a house.

rs2004

Postby rs2004 » Sat Feb 26, 2011 7:30 pm

Bedsole wrote:
rs2004 wrote:so getting instate status after your first year is not difficult at pitt? would the people who are currently at pitt let me know because it looks to be impossible to get instate at temple after 1L.

i don't expect to get it at 1L but i hope that if i change my voting registration to PA, get a lease for a PA apartment, and a PA state license, i should be okay for 2L and 3L.

rs2004

Postby rs2004 » Sat Feb 26, 2011 7:30 pm

Bedsole wrote:

also, what are the clerkship possibilities coming out of pitt?

rs2004

Postby rs2004 » Sat Feb 26, 2011 7:34 pm

to those who got the travel stipend thing from pitt, would you let me know what state you are from? i'm from ny and wondering if that is why i didn't get one.

OGR3

Postby OGR3 » Sat Feb 26, 2011 7:37 pm

rs2004 wrote:
Bedsole wrote:

i don't expect to get it at 1L but i hope that if i change my voting registration to PA, get a lease for a PA apartment, and a PA state license, i should be okay for 2L and 3L.

It's a holistic process, but it's not difficult. Just know that whatever you can do to show you intend to make PA your home after graduation will go far in getting residency. Transferring car title to PA, moving with a significant other, and summer jobs in PA all help significantly.

Also, you're going to be rejected the first time around, but if you appeal that, you just sit down with a bunch of very nice university administrators who are on the appeals committee and talk about why you like Pittsburgh for 20 minutes.

Clerkship opportunities are very rare. According to LST, 3 out of 240 of the class of 2008 secured Article III clerkships. State clerkships are more common.

LeDique

Postby LeDique » Sat Feb 26, 2011 7:39 pm

rs2004 wrote:to those who got the travel stipend thing from pitt, would you let me know what state you are from? i'm from ny and wondering if that is why i didn't get one.

I'm from Ohio and got one. I won't be using it tho - too bad I can't just give it to you.

rs2004

Postby rs2004 » Sat Feb 26, 2011 7:41 pm

LeDique wrote:
rs2004 wrote:to those who got the travel stipend thing from pitt, would you let me know what state you are from? i'm from ny and wondering if that is why i didn't get one.

I'm from Ohio and got one. I won't be using it tho - too bad I can't just give it to you.

it would take me 7-8 hours to get there by car. i will just drop them an email. would you be so kind as to copy and paste the info that pitt sent you on the travel stipend so i can sound informed in my email to them? i obviously will not mention that someone from ohio got one, etc etc.

LeDique

Postby LeDique » Sat Feb 26, 2011 7:48 pm

rs2004 wrote:
LeDique wrote:

it would take me 7-8 hours to get there by car. i will just drop them an email. would you be so kind as to copy and paste the info that pitt sent you on the travel stipend so i can sound informed in my email to them? i obviously will not mention that someone from ohio got one, etc etc.

It was a card inside of the ASW mailing. Offers a room on Thursday night at the Holiday Inn Pittsburgh. It says to direct the e-mail to the Director of Admissions - alinsenm@pitt.edu

Dr. Review

Postby Dr. Review » Sat Feb 26, 2011 7:51 pm

A3 clerkships from schools like Pitt are very uncommon, although not unheard of. You need to have a stellar (and I mean STELLAR) resume, but some judges like to take regional applicants. You CAN get one, but you have to win the law school lottery 6 times and get some solid experience and have great writing skills.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”