Pittsburgh 2011

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
Mr_Brightside

Re: Pittsburgh 2011

Postby Mr_Brightside » Tue Feb 22, 2011 9:40 pm

Hopefully the 11/19ers find out something this week..... please

northwood

Postby northwood » Tue Feb 22, 2011 9:43 pm

Mr_Brightside wrote:Hopefully the 11/19ers find out something this week..... please

contact the school... unless you signed up for the feb test, you should have heard allready.

Mr_Brightside

Postby Mr_Brightside » Tue Feb 22, 2011 9:47 pm

northwood wrote:
Mr_Brightside wrote:Hopefully the 11/19ers find out something this week..... please

contact the school... unless you signed up for the feb test, you should have heard allready.

I'm an idiot---- 1/19

Dr. Review

Postby Dr. Review » Tue Feb 22, 2011 9:53 pm

Mr_Brightside wrote:
northwood wrote:

I'm an idiot---- 1/19

My prediction is mid March

bport hopeful

Postby bport hopeful » Wed Feb 23, 2011 12:58 am

nah dude, 1/19ers and 1/20ers have found out this week, should be pretty soon. They did a release today and yesterday, so theyre pumpin em out.

corvettekid

Postby corvettekid » Wed Feb 23, 2011 12:05 pm

under review 2/17... I'm thinking I have a long wait. Any ideas??? I'm thinking 3 weeks before decision is made.

rs2004

Postby rs2004 » Wed Feb 23, 2011 12:28 pm

for those who want to know, i got an email from pitt's financial aid office and was told that the dean's scholarship and the tuition scholarship come from the same account-- students can only get one or the other. so if you got a dean's scholly you cannot get more money from a tuition scholly.

OGR3

Postby OGR3 » Wed Feb 23, 2011 12:30 pm

rs2004 wrote:for those who want to know, i got an email from pitt's financial aid office and was told that the dean's scholarship and the tuition scholarship come from the same account-- students can only get one or the other. so if you got a dean's scholly you cannot get more money from a tuition scholly.

If they want, they can increase the amount of money they give you for either scholarship, and they also will tap into named scholarship funds if necessary.

rs2004

Postby rs2004 » Wed Feb 23, 2011 12:32 pm

OGR3 wrote:
rs2004 wrote:for those who want to know, i got an email from pitt's financial aid office and was told that the dean's scholarship and the tuition scholarship come from the same account-- students can only get one or the other. so if you got a dean's scholly you cannot get more money from a tuition scholly.

If they want, they can increase the amount of money they give you for either scholarship, and they also will tap into named scholarship funds if necessary.

good to know, from the email i got the sense that i could only get more money from an endowment scholarship.

Dr. Review

Postby Dr. Review » Wed Feb 23, 2011 1:26 pm

They'll over extend their endowed scholarships if it means they can get someone they want. I got an email saying that they had overextended the one that I got for this year, and that they will be switching me to two, smaller ones that add up to the same total.

funhouse3

Postby funhouse3 » Wed Feb 23, 2011 5:57 pm

was accepted today via status checker. went under review 1/19

swan87

Postby swan87 » Wed Feb 23, 2011 5:57 pm

Current 1Ls: How is the summer job search going?

Dr. Review

Postby Dr. Review » Wed Feb 23, 2011 6:34 pm

swan87 wrote:Current 1Ls: How is the summer job search going?

Some of us have jobs, others of us don't. Most of the people that I know who don't have jobs (myself included) have pretty good prospects. Most 1L jobs don't pay (shocker), but a lot of the nonpaying ones can get you class credit.

Personally, I've had one interview, I have one more coming up soon, and most of the other places that I really want to work are in the process of reviewing resumes/cover letters now.

OGR3

Postby OGR3 » Wed Feb 23, 2011 6:45 pm

swan87 wrote:Current 1Ls: How is the summer job search going?

I have one internship, and possibly a second lined up for the summer. Both would be unpaid but I'd get credit.

I know of one person getting paid for the summer and he had worked at the firm for the last 4 years and probably has the top GPA in our section, if not the 1L class.

BarbellDreams

Postby BarbellDreams » Wed Feb 23, 2011 6:52 pm

Paid internships are non-existent unless you have insane connections or are a diversity student.

The majority of my friends do not have anything lined up for the summer as of now. I personally have 2 interviews and another pretty good prospect if those don't pan out but no job as of now. 1L summer isn't nearly as difficult to get a gig for as 2L so from what I understand everyone gets "something" sooner or later, the thing is that the later into the semester it gets the more relaxed your choices need to be.

rs2004

Postby rs2004 » Wed Feb 23, 2011 6:59 pm

BarbellDreams wrote:Paid internships are non-existent unless you have insane connections or are a diversity student.

The majority of my friends do not have anything lined up for the summer as of now. I personally have 2 interviews and another pretty good prospect if those don't pan out but no job as of now. 1L summer isn't nearly as difficult to get a gig for as 2L so from what I understand everyone gets "something" sooner or later, the thing is that the later into the semester it gets the more relaxed your choices need to be.

why would it be more difficult for a 2L to get a summer job than a 1L?

BarbellDreams

Postby BarbellDreams » Wed Feb 23, 2011 7:03 pm

rs2004 wrote:
BarbellDreams wrote:Paid internships are non-existent unless you have insane connections or are a diversity student.

why would it be more difficult for a 2L to get a summer job than a 1L?

Because no one really cares about you 1L summer, its just to get some legal experience. Your 2L summer is what leads to an offer and thats why that process is about 10 times more selective.

swan87

Postby swan87 » Wed Feb 23, 2011 7:08 pm

Is it difficult to find Pittsburgh jobs in the summer if you're from another area?

OGR3

Postby OGR3 » Wed Feb 23, 2011 7:11 pm

True. I think the lesson most of us have learned by now is apply early and often.

The best advice I can give to everyone is have a long list of prospective employers and have cover letters and resumes thoroughly reviewed long before December 1. I have friends just now trying to apply to firms, which is obviously a recipe for disaster.

If you want a judicial internship, particularly with a federal judge, do your research to determine what each judge requires and send the necessary materials as soon as they're all available. State judges are mor lenient, but most federal judges around here have their interns selected by the end of January.

OGR3

Postby OGR3 » Wed Feb 23, 2011 7:15 pm

swan87 wrote:Is it difficult to find Pittsburgh jobs in the summer if you're from another area?

No. Pitt's a regional school, so you shouldn't be attending unless you're willing to work in the area and employers know this. Besides, it's not like you're going to Duquesne. :D

I think on the list of variables that affect 1L hiring, where you're from originally is pretty low.

BarbellDreams

Postby BarbellDreams » Wed Feb 23, 2011 7:15 pm

swan87 wrote:Is it difficult to find Pittsburgh jobs in the summer if you're from another area?

If you don't have connections you'll need grades if you want anything thats higher up in the hierarchy. If you want non-profit PI-type stuff you'll be fine either way.

Dr. Review

Postby Dr. Review » Wed Feb 23, 2011 7:19 pm

BarbellDreams wrote:

If you don't have connections you'll need grades if you want anything thats higher up in the hierarchy. If you want non-profit PI-type stuff you'll be fine either way.

I'm not sure how true this is. I literally have no Pittsburgh connections from before this semester, and the interviews that I have gotten thus far are not attached to the very few connections that I have made.

BarbellDreams

Postby BarbellDreams » Wed Feb 23, 2011 7:21 pm

Bedsole wrote:
BarbellDreams wrote:

I'm not sure how true this is. I literally have no Pittsburgh connections from before this semester, and the interviews that I have gotten thus far are not attached to the very few connections that I have made.

When I say high up in the hierarchy I am basically talking biglaw/midlaw + fed judges. I doubt without grades you're getting any of that unless insane connections.

Oh, and you HAVE grades :D

Dr. Review

Postby Dr. Review » Wed Feb 23, 2011 7:22 pm

BarbellDreams wrote:
Bedsole wrote:
BarbellDreams wrote:

When I say high up in the hierarchy I am basically talking biglaw/midlaw + fed judges. I doubt without grades you're getting any of that unless insane connections.

Oh, and you HAVE grades :D

Most of the fed judges in the area don't ask for grades. In fact, a few hired before we got grades.

BarbellDreams

Postby BarbellDreams » Wed Feb 23, 2011 7:27 pm

I heard that about PA Supreme Court judges, but the few people I know that interviewed with fed judges all had pretty good grades, or at least ties to the area. May be true though. Either way I don't think being out of state puts anyone at a disadvantage except against those that lived here and had connections before coming to law school, but thats a given at any school.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”