Pittsburgh 2011

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
HOPEFORCHANGE

Re: Pittsburgh 2011

Postby HOPEFORCHANGE » Fri Feb 18, 2011 6:19 pm

Obviously this is my first shot at law school apps just like you, but I would imagine if it was a waitlist, they would clearly say that you're on the waitlist. Again, I don't know for sure - but it seems that they are getting closer to their app deadline and want to see who is applying and who isn't. Hope someone else on here can give you a definite answer.

nshapkar

Postby nshapkar » Fri Feb 18, 2011 6:29 pm

gin wrote:I have a bit of a dumb question:
A faw weeks ago I received an email from pitt telling me my app had been put on hold. I've been assuming that that means I've benn waitlisted even though my status says UR and the only thing that changed was the date to the day I reveive the email. At the other school I've been waitlisted it clearly states that the decision on my app has been deferred. Is putting my app on hold the same as getting WL? and if so, does the fact thatmy status says UR means they periodically look at it?
I called Pitt when I first received the email but didn't asked them this specifically and I've been trying to call them and sent them an email but no answer so far.

I'm pretty sure if you're file is on hold it's because its missing something. I might be wrong.

HOPEFORCHANGE

Postby HOPEFORCHANGE » Fri Feb 18, 2011 6:43 pm

As I stated previously, I don't know the answer to this question - but if someone's application was missing something that wasn't the CAS reports that are very easy for law schools to reorder, they would contact the applicant. Anyway, to the OP, if you scroll down this forum's threads, you can see topics for other schools about being held and see what they say. Obviously those schools aren't Pitt, but it could give you insight.

BeerMe828

Postby BeerMe828 » Fri Feb 18, 2011 6:44 pm

nshapkar wrote:
A faw weeks ago I received an email from pitt telling me my app had been put on hold. I've been assuming that that means I've benn waitlisted even though my status says UR and the only thing that changed was the date to the day I reveive the email. At the other school I've been waitlisted it clearly states that the decision on my app has been deferred. Is putting my app on hold the same as getting WL? and if so, does the fact thatmy status says UR means they periodically look at it?
I called Pitt when I first received the email but didn't asked them this specifically and I've been trying to call them and sent them an email but no answer so far.

I'm pretty sure if you're file is on hold it's because its missing something. I might be wrong.

That was my impression too... When I submitted my first application, I asked the school to wait until my final LOR was received to review the ap, and they sent me an email confirming that it was "on hold pending completion"... but who knows with Pitt... I would absolutely love to go there, but they don't seem to have their shit together with the whole decision making process...

HOPEFORCHANGE

Postby HOPEFORCHANGE » Fri Feb 18, 2011 6:49 pm

Maybe there is a method to the apparent madness.

To the person who posted his stats and decision date as April last year, thanks for the info. It helps since those are pretty much my numbers. I thought they might let me know in April, but I'm hoping they alleviate stress sooner with an admit. Obviously, I would much prefer to wait a while for an admit than receive a quick rejection. 8k would be very generous too. I can only hope for an admit with or without money though

OGR3

Postby OGR3 » Fri Feb 18, 2011 6:57 pm

BeerMe828 wrote:
nshapkar wrote:

That was my impression too... When I submitted my first application, I asked the school to wait until my final LOR was received to review the ap, and they sent me an email confirming that it was "on hold pending completion"... but who knows with Pitt... I would absolutely love to go there, but they don't seem to have their shit together with the whole decision making process...

There's like 3 people in the admissions office so I'm sorry they aren't giving your application the special snowflake attention it so rightfully deserves.

WVUguy11

Postby WVUguy11 » Fri Feb 18, 2011 7:12 pm

to be honest iv been impressed with pitt so far. perhaps it just infatuation because my love with the law school is somewhat forbidden and its my reach.

ps cant do caps on the count of my caps lock button doesnt work and i have to hold ice to my face... got wisdom teeth pulled today, so please just excuse my posts tonight.

BeerMe828

Postby BeerMe828 » Fri Feb 18, 2011 7:46 pm

OGR3 wrote:
BeerMe828 wrote:
nshapkar wrote:

There's like 3 people in the admissions office so I'm sorry they aren't giving your application the special snowflake attention it so rightfully deserves.

lol really? dude everybody is getting a little frustrated with the wait. PSU has a good 30% more applicants than Pitt, and their turnaround is way more efficient... expressing frustration on the forum is just our way of venting... I don't expect "snowflake attention", but when they've been releasing decisions on a weekly basis, and then go two weeks without anything it's irritating

Chouchous

Postby Chouchous » Fri Feb 18, 2011 8:02 pm

There's like 3 people in the admissions office so I'm sorry they aren't giving your application the special snowflake attention it so rightfully deserves.[/quote]
lol really? dude everybody is getting a little frustrated with the wait. PSU has a good 30% more applicants than Pitt, and their turnaround is way more efficient... expressing frustration on the forum is just our way of venting... I don't expect "snowflake attention", but when they've been releasing decisions on a weekly basis, and then go two weeks without anything it's irritating[/quote]

PSU is by no means way more efficient than Pitt. I had to wait for PSU's decision from September until January. It took another month for the admission letter to actually reach me. Pitt, on the other hand, admitted me ~4 weeks after I went complete.

BeerMe828

Postby BeerMe828 » Fri Feb 18, 2011 8:07 pm

Chouchous wrote:There's like 3 people in the admissions office so I'm sorry they aren't giving your application the special snowflake attention it so rightfully deserves.

lol really? dude everybody is getting a little frustrated with the wait. PSU has a good 30% more applicants than Pitt, and their turnaround is way more efficient... expressing frustration on the forum is just our way of venting... I don't expect "snowflake attention", but when they've been releasing decisions on a weekly basis, and then go two weeks without anything it's irritating[/quote]

PSU is by no means way more efficient than Pitt. I had to wait for PSU's decision from September until January. It took another month for the admission letter to actually reach me. Pitt, on the other hand, admitted me ~4 weeks after I went complete.[/quote]

alright. I guess I'm wrong... I was in at PSU in 5 weeks, and am at about the 3 month point for Pitt. Guess I shouldn't generalize. My bad.

Chouchous

Postby Chouchous » Fri Feb 18, 2011 8:12 pm

BeerMe828 wrote:
Chouchous wrote:There's like 3 people in the admissions office so I'm sorry they aren't giving your application the special snowflake attention it so rightfully deserves.

lol really? dude everybody is getting a little frustrated with the wait. PSU has a good 30% more applicants than Pitt, and their turnaround is way more efficient... expressing frustration on the forum is just our way of venting... I don't expect "snowflake attention", but when they've been releasing decisions on a weekly basis, and then go two weeks without anything it's irritating

PSU is by no means way more efficient than Pitt. I had to wait for PSU's decision from September until January. It took another month for the admission letter to actually reach me. Pitt, on the other hand, admitted me ~4 weeks after I went complete.[/quote]

alright. I guess I'm wrong... I was in at PSU in 5 weeks, and am at about the 3 month point for Pitt. Guess I shouldn't generalize. My bad.[/quote]

I know how you feel, I went through the same frustrations with PSU...both schools seem to have their inefficiencies...

HOPEFORCHANGE

Postby HOPEFORCHANGE » Fri Feb 18, 2011 9:21 pm

I have an idea! Pitt can just admit everyone who is posting on here next week and then we won't have to post about it anymore! We're just stressed because we love Pitt so much...that's all.

BeerMe828

Postby BeerMe828 » Fri Feb 18, 2011 9:31 pm

HOPEFORCHANGE wrote:I have an idea! Pitt can just admit everyone who is posting on here next week and then we won't have to post about it anymore! We're just stressed because we love Pitt so much...that's all.

haha amen. If Pitt wasn't my first choice I wouldn't be freaking so much! Heard from my second choice over a month ago, and if I have to start acting excited for there instead of hopeful for Pitt, it's gonna take some effort lol

HOPEFORCHANGE

Postby HOPEFORCHANGE » Fri Feb 18, 2011 9:43 pm

Yeah, I know, same here...I hope we are both excited at the end of this. Hey, does your status checker say at the top of the page "your application is now with our admissions committee. We appreciate your patience...etc." ??

BeerMe828

Postby BeerMe828 » Fri Feb 18, 2011 9:48 pm

HOPEFORCHANGE wrote:Yeah, I know, same here...I hope we are both excited at the end of this. Hey, does your status checker say at the top of the page "your application is now with our admissions committee. We appreciate your patience...etc." ??

yessir... since 1/19 lol.

Maybe I'm reading into things, but before the 1/19 and 1/20 UR dates, wasn't everybody UR as of 12/8? I thought maybe things were speeding up with two days back to back going into review... it doesn't feel like it now, but maybe that was in fact a good sign?

HOPEFORCHANGE

Postby HOPEFORCHANGE » Fri Feb 18, 2011 9:56 pm

I think they're waiting for the March app deadline to pass...I really do. I'm not them though, so who knows???

BeerMe828

Postby BeerMe828 » Fri Feb 18, 2011 10:01 pm

HOPEFORCHANGE wrote:I think they're waiting for the March app deadline to pass...I really do. I'm not them though, so who knows???

Ugh, I hope not lol. I know its just a guess on your part, but based on no decisions since 2/3, that doesn't sound unreasonable. I'm restraining myself from going to visit Pitt until I've heard... last thing I want to do is get my hopes up and drive 3+ hours there just to find out they don't want me...

HOPEFORCHANGE

Postby HOPEFORCHANGE » Fri Feb 18, 2011 10:10 pm

I rode past Pitt Law on the bus today and I was just thinking, "I hope I'm doing this next year everyday." I don't want to get my hopes up either...we will have to see.

Do you know what an admissions committee is? I mean, is it the people who work in the admissions office or professors or other important people or a mix of these things? Just curious...I have no clue myself.

BeerMe828

Postby BeerMe828 » Fri Feb 18, 2011 10:13 pm

HOPEFORCHANGE wrote:I rode past Pitt Law on the bus today and I was just thinking, "I hope I'm doing this next year everyday." I don't want to get my hopes up either...we will have to see.

Do you know what an admissions committee is? I mean, is it the people who work in the admissions office or professors or other important people or a mix of these things? Just curious...I have no clue myself.

No idea for Pitt. Cinci explained theirs pretty well... I don't remember off the top of my head but it's prob on their website... I believe it was the assistant dean and a prof and a student or two... could be off a little. Anybody else know?

fatduck

Postby fatduck » Fri Feb 18, 2011 10:18 pm

HOPEFORCHANGE wrote:I rode past Pitt Law on the bus today and I was just thinking, "I hope I'm doing this next year everyday." I don't want to get my hopes up either...we will have to see.

where are the law classrooms, anyway? in the cathedral?

BeerMe828

Postby BeerMe828 » Fri Feb 18, 2011 10:25 pm

fatduck wrote:

where are the law classrooms, anyway? in the cathedral?

http://www.law.pitt.edu/about/facilities

gin

Postby gin » Sat Feb 19, 2011 3:00 am

OGR3 wrote:
BeerMe828 wrote:
nshapkar wrote:

"The Admissions Committee has completed an initial review of your application for admission to the University of Pittsburgh School of Law. At this time, the Admissions Committee has placed your application on HOLD"
That's what they sent me and that's why I think I've been WLed. It probably would of been helpful if I had quoted this earlier. I think I said this earlier but with my numbers I'm surprised they haven't rejected me. And as for their staff, when they do answer they are very nice and helpful and they do have an obvious process for reviewing applicants (unlike Temple)

lawschoolnonsense

Postby lawschoolnonsense » Sat Feb 19, 2011 12:16 pm

A HOLD is not the same as a WL. In fact, it's marginally better. If your application is on hold, that means the committee will continue to actively review it in the admissions cycle. If waitlisted, they quit looking at your application, and you're at the mercy of a seat opening up during the summer months.

BarbellDreams

Postby BarbellDreams » Sat Feb 19, 2011 12:32 pm

PSU also has no market and inferior employment statistics so they can't afford to wait on anyone applying to Pitt...

OGR3

Postby OGR3 » Sat Feb 19, 2011 3:56 pm

BarbellDreams wrote:

PSU also has no market and inferior employment statistics so they can't afford to wait on anyone applying to Pitt...

I got a nice scholarship from Pitt and got WL'd at PSU. They must have known I wanted to be somewhere that wasn't in the middle of nowhere...

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”