Pittsburgh 2011 Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
bigbubba

New

Re: Pittsburgh 2011

Post by bigbubba » Fri Mar 11, 2011 1:56 pm

bport hopeful wrote:I want to go to pitt bad, but at sticker... idk? I dont really see it.
I am also in a similar predicament as you. Aside from Pitt I was accepted into Depaul, Loyola Chicago, Penn State, and KU and received money from all except Pitt. With the extreme cost of living in Chicago along with a depleted market rife with Tier 1 competition, those are virtually ruled out. I think I'm between KU and Pitt. Both are regional schools, with the same ranking(US News), and similar job salaries. The lone difference I think being college town vs. city. I'd be out of state in both situations. With KU giving 12.5k for the first year, I'm wondering if Pitt worth paying sticker?

kk19131

Silver

Post by kk19131 » Fri Mar 11, 2011 1:59 pm

bigbubba wrote:
bport hopeful wrote:I want to go to pitt bad, but at sticker... idk? I dont really see it.
I am also in a similar predicament as you. Aside from Pitt I was accepted into Depaul, Loyola Chicago, Penn State, and KU and received money from all except Pitt. With the extreme cost of living in Chicago along with a depleted market rife with Tier 1 competition, those are virtually ruled out. I think I'm between KU and Pitt. Both are regional schools, with the same ranking(US News), and similar job salaries. The lone difference I think being college town vs. city. I'd be out of state in both situations. With KU giving 12.5k for the first year, I'm wondering if Pitt worth paying sticker?
No.

northwood

Platinum

Post by northwood » Fri Mar 11, 2011 2:02 pm

As of today I am considering Pitt and Buffalo ( i havnt ruled out SU yet- but I am worried about the stipulations of their scholarship- as they have a very harsh curve): I am in state at UB- but they dont offer much money. Pitt is better ranked, but as OOS its much expensive. Ideally I would like to live in WNY- as I have been a life long resident, but I am very open to Pitt- and love the idea of being in a medium sized city with multiple professional sport teams. i visited UB and can really see myself there ( I was trying to convince myself not to go there- but I ended up really liking it)- and I will be visiting Pitt shortly. Am i being crazy for considering pitt at out of state rates over an instate tuition at UB?

HOPEFORCHANGE

Bronze

Post by HOPEFORCHANGE » Fri Mar 11, 2011 2:07 pm

I'd visit Pittsburgh before you decide if you want to go to Pitt. Pitt happens to be in the city where I live and has everything I could ask for program-wise in a law school. The thing I don't like about Pittsburgh (as a city) is the snow and cold months. Pittsburgh (as a city) is pretty fun in the summer but the blistering cold and snow is too much for my half-Portuguese blood. I would tolerate it for the next few years to have the privilege of going through a Pitt legal education, though.

Also, if you live in Buffalo, I guess the snow won't bother you. I would also think besides location what you want out of a law school as far as courses, programs, clinics, law journals, etc.

gin

Bronze

Post by gin » Fri Mar 11, 2011 2:14 pm

rs2004 wrote: right, i think another factor you should look into is what legal market each school can break into. pitt is a regional school, as you probably know from reading this thread, and has access to the legal market in pittsburgh. (and western pa?) i don't know what the legal market is like in maine. in fact, i don't know if you've ever been in maine but i have doubts about employment there and the state economy in general.
I know the legal market at maine is...well...tiny. I also really like Pitts program which is why it's my top choice

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

bigbubba

New

Post by bigbubba » Fri Mar 11, 2011 2:24 pm

kk19131 wrote:
bigbubba wrote:
No.
No as in Pitt isn't worth sticker?

kk19131

Silver

Post by kk19131 » Fri Mar 11, 2011 2:29 pm

bigbubba wrote:
kk19131 wrote:
bigbubba wrote:
No.
It is if you're a gambling man - otherwise, no.

A degree from Pitt is, by no means, an automatic high-paying job-getter. Further, you can probably expect somewhere in the $5000-70,000 range for a job. With loans totaling over $150,000 for three years sticker at Pitt OOS, you'd be hard-pressed to repay them without great effort.

rs2004

Silver

Post by rs2004 » Fri Mar 11, 2011 2:52 pm

bigbubba wrote:
kk19131 wrote:
bigbubba wrote:
No.
there are some pitt students in this thread. why they are not here now, i have no idea. i would ask them. also, if you are planning to go to pittsburgh for asw, you could ask the students there.

rs2004

Silver

Post by rs2004 » Fri Mar 11, 2011 2:53 pm

northwood wrote:As of today I am considering Pitt and Buffalo ( i havnt ruled out SU yet- but I am worried about the stipulations of their scholarship- as they have a very harsh curve): I am in state at UB- but they dont offer much money. Pitt is better ranked, but as OOS its much expensive. Ideally I would like to live in WNY- as I have been a life long resident, but I am very open to Pitt- and love the idea of being in a medium sized city with multiple professional sport teams. i visited UB and can really see myself there ( I was trying to convince myself not to go there- but I ended up really liking it)- and I will be visiting Pitt shortly. Am i being crazy for considering pitt at out of state rates over an instate tuition at UB?
i thought buffalo was a dead town, the kind of town people leave for jobs. i think you should really speak to people who have graduated from UB law or are 3Ls to get an idea of what to expect.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

gin

Bronze

Post by gin » Fri Mar 11, 2011 2:57 pm

kk19131 wrote: It is if you're a gambling man - otherwise, no.

A degree from Pitt is, by no means, an automatic high-paying job-getter. Further, you can probably expect somewhere in the $5000-70,000 range for a job. With loans totaling over $150,000 for three years sticker at Pitt OOS, you'd be hard-pressed to repay them without great effort.
5k doesn't seem right but I'm just gonna assume you meant 50k :wink: . Still 50-70k doesn't seem right either, so I'm kind of curious as to where you got those numbers. 150k over lets say ten years means 15k a year. Also assuming you are right and you are unlucky enough still getting paid the same for 10 years, you are left with 35k- 55k at year for everything else (35 is not good but you can live off of 55k). I'm assuming alot will depend on whether you to the private sector or do public interest oo gov't work. I think Pitt has repayment plans to make it easier too (I'm not sure though)

OGR3

Silver

Post by OGR3 » Fri Mar 11, 2011 3:01 pm

Pitt does pretty well in Erie, so I would imagine it's not much of a stretch to move over to western NY, particularly if you have ties.

Getting instate tuition certainly isn't a lock, but it's relatively easy. I got it this fall (so I'll have all three years at resident rates) and a fellow 1L got it this semester.

When it comes to Pitt being worth sticker, any school below T14 at sticker is certainly a risk, but I went to Pitt knowing that I would be completely comfortable (though not necessarily happy) with paying sticker 2L and 3L in the event I lost my scholarship.

rs2004

Silver

Post by rs2004 » Fri Mar 11, 2011 3:02 pm

gin wrote:

5k doesn't seem right but I'm just gonna assume you meant 50k :wink: . Still 50-70k doesn't seem right either, so I'm kind of curious as to where you got those numbers. 150k over lets say ten years means 15k a year. Also assuming you are right and you are unlucky enough still getting paid the same for 10 years, you are left with 35k- 55k at year for everything else (35 is not good but you can live off of 55k). I'm assuming alot will depend on whether you to the private sector or do public interest oo gov't work. I think Pitt has repayment plans to make it easier too (I'm not sure though)
also, i thought it wasn't impossible to get in state rates for 2L and 3L?

gin

Bronze

Post by gin » Fri Mar 11, 2011 3:05 pm

rs2004 wrote:
gin wrote:

From what I've read, it is kind of easy actually (not entirely positive though (current students, I'm looking at you))

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

rs2004

Silver

Post by rs2004 » Fri Mar 11, 2011 3:07 pm

gin wrote:
rs2004 wrote:
gin wrote:

From what I've read, it is kind of easy actually (not entirely positive though (current students, I'm looking at you))
way easier than temple

kk19131

Silver

Post by kk19131 » Fri Mar 11, 2011 3:07 pm

gin wrote:

Unlike others on here, I don't assume that every person graduating from law school will be making more than 100k/year.

I mean, if you think 55k/year is fine for someone who has a law degree, then I guess we'll just have to disagree... but for all that he/she can skip law school and just become a manager at McDonalds.

rs2004

Silver

Post by rs2004 » Fri Mar 11, 2011 3:13 pm

kk19131 wrote:
gin wrote:

Unlike others on here, I don't assume that every person graduating from law school will be making more than 100k/year.

I mean, if you think 55k/year is fine for someone who has a law degree, then I guess we'll just have to disagree... but for all that he/she can skip law school and just become a manager at McDonalds.
i'm going to roll my eyes here and say this - I think a lot of people would agree that an Assistant DA position is a start to a respectable legal career. Starting salary for ADA in Philadelphia as of July 2007 is $49,000.

kk19131

Silver

Post by kk19131 » Fri Mar 11, 2011 3:16 pm

rs2004 wrote:
kk19131 wrote:
gin wrote:

i'm going to roll my eyes here and say this - I think a lot of people would agree that an Assistant DA position is a start to a respectable legal career. Starting salary for ADA in Philadelphia as of July 2007 is $49,000.
I don't disagree that being an ADA is (at least a start) to a respectable career for some.

However, I see NO reason why someone should pay over $100,000+ to be one. I can't for the life of me figure out why someone OOS would consider paying sticker at Pitt when he doesn't vehemently want to work in Pittsburgh/Western PA. It's ridiculous.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

gin

Bronze

Post by gin » Fri Mar 11, 2011 3:17 pm

kk19131 wrote:
gin wrote:

Actually, if I'm not mistaken people who work for the gov't or do public interest make 55-65k. If people are going to law school for the money, then good for them (though they could have gotten an MBA to get the same results, but to each his own right?). But there are people like me who couldn't get paid nearly enough money to go into biglaw, and are going into law because they want to try to help people, and money comes 3rd or 4th in their list of priorities. Then again, I'm probably very naive.
P.S. I smell a thread derrailment so I probably should stop

kk19131

Silver

Post by kk19131 » Fri Mar 11, 2011 3:20 pm

gin wrote:
kk19131 wrote:
gin wrote:

Actually, if I'm not mistaken people who work for the gov't or do public interest make 55-65k. If people are going to law school for the money, then good for them (though they could have gotten an MBA to get the same results, but to each his own right?). But there are people like me who couldn't get paid nearly enough money to go into biglaw, and are going into law because they want to try to help people, and money comes 3rd or 4th in their list of priorities. Then again, I'm probably very naive.
P.S. I smell a thread derrailment so I probably should stop
We most certainly can stop this derailment.

I'm not saying that doing PI/government work is wrong. I'm also not saying that going to law school for reasons other than money is wrong. What I am saying is that you can get a job in PI without going so deep into debt.

Pitt isn't an over-the-top spectacular school that offers unparalleled access to PI/government jobs, so why pay sticker to go there? It makes little sense.

But, again, I will let the thread get back on track.

corvettekid

New

Post by corvettekid » Fri Mar 11, 2011 3:22 pm

kk19131 wrote:
I don't disagree that being an ADA is (at least a start) to a respectable career for some.

However, I see NO reason why someone should pay over $100,000+ to be one. I can't for the life of me figure out why someone OOS would consider paying sticker at Pitt when he doesn't vehemently want to work in Pittsburgh/Western PA. It's ridiculous.
+1

I would try to avoid paying sticker at a school out of the top 14. Not saying that anyone that does is destined to be a failure in life, but there are plenty of other options.

solarae

Bronze

Post by solarae » Fri Mar 11, 2011 3:23 pm

kk19131 wrote:
gin wrote:

AT first.. a McDonalds manager won't make more than that. Someone with a law degree will just keep going up assuming they're good at their job.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

northwood

Platinum

Post by northwood » Fri Mar 11, 2011 3:24 pm

pitt is on spring break- no students here

however- I am guessing that I will be starting out in the 55-65k range. I am not planning on being in the top 1/3 of the class or whatnot. I m just trying to figure out what will be the best bet school wise for someone wanting to live in a 400 mile radius of Buffalo

gin

Bronze

Post by gin » Fri Mar 11, 2011 3:29 pm

northwood wrote:pitt is on spring break- no students here

however- I am guessing that I will be starting out in the 55-65k range. I am not planning on being in the top 1/3 of the class or whatnot. I m just trying to figure out what will be the best bet school wise for someone wanting to live in a 400 mile radius of Buffalo
I think you already have your answer. Though visiting Pitt might change that (full disclaimer...I've never been there)

rs2004

Silver

Post by rs2004 » Fri Mar 11, 2011 3:38 pm

I think those who are planning to go to law school through loans (at any ranked school) need to have a night where he or she looks at the hard numbers and faces the financial reality. if you expect to take out $100,000 in federal loans, you should expect to pay about $625 monthly on a graduated payment plan. that is the least amount you can pay but also you'll be paying back a multiplier of what you really owe over an extended period of time. If you land a job w a yearly salary of $50,000, you'll get about $2,500 a month after taxes. After rent/mortgage payments, bills, etc, and you are okay with living on the difference, then you are okay. but hey, if your monthly payments are overwhelming you, then your other life choices are affected, where you live, what you eat, limitations on social life and activities, etc.

rs2004

Silver

Post by rs2004 » Fri Mar 11, 2011 3:40 pm

northwood wrote:pitt is on spring break- no students here

oh spring break....that is nice. here i am thinking, when is the next federal holiday so i can have a day off from work without criticism.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”