Pittsburgh 2011 Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
kk19131

Silver

Re: Pittsburgh 2011

Post by kk19131 » Sat Feb 26, 2011 8:03 pm

rs2004 wrote:to those who got the travel stipend thing from pitt, would you let me know what state you are from? i'm from ny and wondering if that is why i didn't get one.

Pennsylvania.

dreakol

Silver

Post by dreakol » Mon Feb 28, 2011 2:58 pm

kk19131 wrote:
rs2004 wrote:to those who got the travel stipend thing from pitt, would you let me know what state you are from? i'm from ny and wondering if that is why i didn't get one.

Pennsylvania.
California

rdare32

New

Post by rdare32 » Mon Feb 28, 2011 3:25 pm

Status still stuck on UR on 1/19. Safe to call that a ding? Seems like most UR on 1/19 that got in have had status updated or email sent.

aknecht

Bronze

Post by aknecht » Mon Feb 28, 2011 3:51 pm

rdare32 wrote:Status still stuck on UR on 1/19. Safe to call that a ding? Seems like most UR on 1/19 that got in have had status updated or email sent.
not necessarily. I was under review for well over a month. Applied before Christmas, went under review in early January, went "accepted" on status checker last Tuesday but haven't seen an acceptance email or packet in the "real" mail yet.

if your status isn't "decision rendered", then I wouldn't call that a ding yet.

bigbubba

New

Post by bigbubba » Mon Feb 28, 2011 5:12 pm

to those that were recently admitted last week, I just received my acceptance letter in the mail but that was virtually it aside from a deposit slip to enroll . is scholarship info supposed to come separately?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

rs2004

Silver

Post by rs2004 » Mon Feb 28, 2011 5:17 pm

bigbubba wrote:to those that were recently admitted last week, I just received my acceptance letter in the mail but that was virtually it aside from a deposit slip to enroll . is scholarship info supposed to come separately?
my scholly info was written in bold in the acceptance letter. i would just check with admissions.

berkeleyman

New

Post by berkeleyman » Mon Feb 28, 2011 5:29 pm

received my acceptance letter today! Love the little money clip dealie, very classy ^_^

bport hopeful

Gold

Post by bport hopeful » Mon Feb 28, 2011 5:34 pm

UR 1/20 and still nothing.

Aggravating since I was accepted at Emory. I applied there 3 weeks after Pitt.

LeDique

Diamond

Post by LeDique » Mon Feb 28, 2011 5:40 pm

So, I finally getting around to this:

Parking near Pitt can be a bit difficult, and driving in on 376 in the morning was a bit of a pain in the ass. I would definitely plan to take public transportation to Pitt, if I were to attend. The TLS'ers I talked to said the same.

Where the law school is itself, real close to a bunch of restaurants. Red Oak was recommended to me, and I liked it. But I also passed by a bunch of other places I would be okay with eating lunch on a daily basis, for when I'm feeling lazy. But really, the neighbor and the scenery aren't going to blow you away and aren't really Pitt's selling point. The facilities inside the building upstairs were pretty solid. Nothing jumped out to me as especially sweet, but just pretty much average for what I'd expect a law school to have. The basement was under construction. I'm told it will have a Starbucks, etc., and be sweet by next year tho. I think that's more of a catch-up to a lot of other schools though.

The class I sat in on was good - I would definitely recommend that class to anyone else who might be visiting during the week. I had a pretty good understanding of what had happened that day in class just from sitting there. I wasn't horribly bored.

I also talked with the Director of Admissions. While Allie was really nice and friendly, I can't really say it was a helpful conversation. She _really_ sugarcoated things and would speak broadly more than specifically, especially when I was asking about employment. Overall, if you're visiting, there might be someone more useful to talk to, or I might even consider skipping it altogether. I didn't really feel like I had learned anything new from talking to her.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Dr. Review

Gold

Post by Dr. Review » Mon Feb 28, 2011 5:52 pm

LeDique wrote: The basement was under construction. I'm told it will have a Starbucks, etc., and be sweet by next year tho. I think that's more of a catch-up to a lot of other schools though.

The class I sat in on was good - I would definitely recommend that class to anyone else who might be visiting during the week. I had a pretty good understanding of what had happened that day in class just from sitting there. I wasn't horribly bored.
Basement opening scheduled for April 1st, so those attending the ASD should see it finished.

Crim Pro with McCarthy is a good morning choice for a visit. Property with Mueller is a less understandable as a 0L class, but she's still a good afternoon choice. If option A is Civ Pro with Slack, take option B. Con Law with Herring is ok, but he tends to get pretty technical, which is less 0L friendly.

solarae

Bronze

Post by solarae » Mon Feb 28, 2011 6:16 pm

anyone have experience commuting from Monroeville? I think I'll be trying to take a flyer bus from way out there since I don't want to pay for parking in the city. Any thoughts? thanks!

Scurredsitless1

Bronze

Post by Scurredsitless1 » Mon Feb 28, 2011 7:01 pm

solarae wrote:anyone have experience commuting from Monroeville? I think I'll be trying to take a flyer bus from way out there since I don't want to pay for parking in the city. Any thoughts? thanks!
I commute from the South Hills. I drive in every morning and park in Panther Hollow for $4/day. There are positives and negatives to commuting.

I leave before rush hour every morning, so I leave my house at about 6:45, then I stay until 6:45 or so at night. The commute can take 15 minutes when there is no traffic or an hour during rush hour. So I do all I can to avoid it. This can be both good and bad. It's a lot of time in the library, but I should be studying anyway. Sometimes I go to the gym or grab dinner before I drive home.

One down side is that I don't go out and drink very much with other law students. This would be tough if I was coming from out of town. But I have my own social network here, so I don't rely on the law school crowd. It would be nice to be able to go out and party with them once in a while.

I don't know about riding the bus that far. It could be cool, it might be a stress free commute. But I hear the Shadyside folks bitching about the buses all the time, and they're practically within walking distance. So things like inclimate weather might make the bus unreliable.

A real positive to where I live is that it's much nicer and cheaper than the Shadyside folks. Parking is free and plentiful, there is a nice little -never crowded- grocery store. My neighborhood is completely safe. It's a community as opposed to a transient landing spot.

I guess the gist of it is that Shadyside might be more "fun", but depending where you are in your life, commuting can be a good option. I probably have done better in school because I'm away from temptation of the college bar scene, but it wouldn't fit someone that is looking to continue their college experience.

solarae

Bronze

Post by solarae » Mon Feb 28, 2011 7:26 pm

just what i needed to hear, thanks : )

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

northwood

Platinum

Post by northwood » Mon Feb 28, 2011 7:30 pm

while continuing the college expereince would be fun, remember that you are in law school to be as best prepared to get a good job as a lawyer- not to relive your frat days.

LeDique

Diamond

Post by LeDique » Mon Feb 28, 2011 7:36 pm

northwood wrote:while continuing the college expereince would be fun, remember that you are in law school to be as best prepared to get a good job as a lawyer- not to relive your frat days.
Yeah, personally I'm going to lock myself in my room and never talk to anyone so I can get a job.

Scurredsitless1

Bronze

Post by Scurredsitless1 » Mon Feb 28, 2011 7:49 pm

northwood wrote:while continuing the college expereince would be fun, remember that you are in law school to be as best prepared to get a good job as a lawyer- not to relive your frat days.
I may have misrepresented Shadyside there. I don't mean it's frat row, it's just that the temptation for the young crowd bar scene is there, and I would have trouble staying out of that scene if I lived near it.

Dr. Review

Gold

Post by Dr. Review » Mon Feb 28, 2011 7:51 pm

Scurredsitless1 wrote:
I may have misrepresented Shadyside there. I don't mean it's frat row, it's just that the temptation for the young crowd bar scene is there, and I would have trouble staying out of that scene if I lived near it.
Yeah. I live in Shadyside and I rarely go out for drinks. If you want it, it's close. If you don't, you won't notice.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

OGR3

Silver

Post by OGR3 » Mon Feb 28, 2011 8:09 pm

Bedsole wrote:
Scurredsitless1 wrote:
Yeah. I live in Shadyside and I rarely go out for drinks. If you want it, it's close. If you don't, you won't notice.
It's hard to notice anything when you're constantly on Call of Duty benders...

SrLaw

Silver

Post by SrLaw » Mon Feb 28, 2011 8:10 pm

just Withdrew today. 14K and an acceptance back on the market.

Dr. Review

Gold

Post by Dr. Review » Mon Feb 28, 2011 8:13 pm

OGR3 wrote:
Bedsole wrote:
Scurredsitless1 wrote:
It's hard to notice anything when you're constantly on Call of Duty benders...
This

aknecht

Bronze

Post by aknecht » Mon Feb 28, 2011 10:01 pm

rs2004 wrote:
bigbubba wrote:to those that were recently admitted last week, I just received my acceptance letter in the mail but that was virtually it aside from a deposit slip to enroll . is scholarship info supposed to come separately?
my scholly info was written in bold in the acceptance letter. i would just check with admissions.
that is a huge disappointment. I got my acceptance letter today with no mention about a scholly. Is that a definitive "no" on money? does anyone know?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

northwood

Platinum

Post by northwood » Mon Feb 28, 2011 10:03 pm

aknecht wrote:
rs2004 wrote:
that is a huge disappointment. I got my acceptance letter today with no mention about a scholly. Is that a definitive "no" on money? does anyone know?

its a no. i contacted them, and they told me that they are out of merit money

Dr. Review

Gold

Post by Dr. Review » Mon Feb 28, 2011 10:35 pm

northwood wrote:
aknecht wrote:
rs2004 wrote:

its a no. i contacted them, and they told me that they are out of merit money

Wow, really? If you have something to leverage, I would still try an e-mail. I finagled 8k/yr in April... so I feel like the end of Feb is too soon to be out of $$

northwood

Platinum

Post by northwood » Mon Feb 28, 2011 10:39 pm

maybe they just dont like me.. but thats the response i got when i tried.

they did tell me that i would be a priority canidate for other types of aid, so its at least good to try

hscohen

New

Post by hscohen » Mon Feb 28, 2011 11:19 pm

LeDique wrote:I also talked with the Director of Admissions. While Allie was really nice and friendly, I can't really say it was a helpful conversation. She _really_ sugarcoated things and would speak broadly more than specifically, especially when I was asking about employment. Overall, if you're visiting, there might be someone more useful to talk to, or I might even consider skipping it altogether. I didn't really feel like I had learned anything new from talking to her.
I spoke to Charmaine McCall, Assistant Dean of Admissions and Financial Aid, when I was there. Very friendly and helpful; she even wrote a personalized congratulatory note on the bottom of my acceptance letter. The class that I sat in on was similarly a very positive experience. Several students approached me before the class started to introduce themselves to me, knowing that I was a visiting student because they did not recognize me. There appears to be a high amount of camaraderie among Pitt Law's 1L's, aided by the fact that Pitt divides its 1L's into three 80-person sections and that these sections share all of their first-year classes. I look forward to seeing the Law building's basement once it is finished, as it was likewise under construction during my visit, and am excited to meet you all next Fall!

-Hal

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”