Pittsburgh 2011 Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
rs2004

Silver

Re: Pittsburgh 2011

Post by rs2004 » Fri Jan 28, 2011 4:36 pm

SherlockHolmes wrote:Under review since 1/19.
+1

northwood

Platinum

Post by northwood » Fri Jan 28, 2011 4:37 pm

you will wait a while. stil ur as of 12/8

karate1243

New

Post by karate1243 » Fri Jan 28, 2011 4:38 pm

rs2004 wrote:
SherlockHolmes wrote:Under review since 1/19.
+1
+1

LSATclincher

Bronze

Post by LSATclincher » Fri Jan 28, 2011 4:39 pm

northwood wrote:you will wait a while. stil ur as of 12/8
I saw you in the Camden thread. Where do you want to go? I saw your profile. Why isn't Temple an option?

northwood

Platinum

Post by northwood » Fri Jan 28, 2011 4:41 pm

i want to stay in nystate.
realized that i want ny when I was filling out the temple app. and decided not to write their special essay.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

LSATclincher

Bronze

Post by LSATclincher » Fri Jan 28, 2011 4:49 pm

northwood wrote:i want to stay in nystate.
realized that i want ny when I was filling out the temple app. and decided not to write their special essay.
That's what happened with me and UCONN. They wanted actual police records of my criminal history (it's not even excessive), and I decided not to go through the trouble since I really couldn't see myself up there.

SherlockHolmes

Bronze

Post by SherlockHolmes » Fri Jan 28, 2011 5:01 pm

northwood wrote:you will wait a while. stil ur as of 12/8
I figured as much. Oh well.

NicRen

New

Post by NicRen » Sat Jan 29, 2011 1:49 pm

Received my acceptance letter today. No mention of scholarship information. Does this mean they expect me to pay sticker if I don't get the public interest scholarship?

ran12

Silver

Post by ran12 » Sat Jan 29, 2011 1:52 pm

NicRen wrote:Received my acceptance letter today. No mention of scholarship information. Does this mean they expect me to pay sticker if I don't get the public interest scholarship?
Probably

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

aidez-moi

Bronze

Post by aidez-moi » Sat Jan 29, 2011 5:12 pm

NicRen wrote:Received my acceptance letter today. No mention of scholarship information. Does this mean they expect me to pay sticker if I don't get the public interest scholarship?
Same here. Kind of surprised considering I was .04 GPA-wise away from the automatic scholarship...

Damn freshman year. Oh well.

adiaz43

New

Post by adiaz43 » Sat Jan 29, 2011 5:18 pm

aidez-moi wrote:
Same here. Kind of surprised considering I was .04 GPA-wise away from the automatic scholarship...

Damn freshman year. Oh well.

when did you guys go complete/UR? thanks, and congrats on the acceptances.

JDHopeful

Bronze

Post by JDHopeful » Sat Jan 29, 2011 5:21 pm

What's this "automatic" scholarship you reference above? Is this the Dean's Scholarship? What are the actual requirements for this?

Also, could someone explain the details of the Public Interest Scholarship? What does this one mean?

Thanks!

aidez-moi

Bronze

Post by aidez-moi » Sat Jan 29, 2011 5:42 pm

JDHopeful wrote:What's this "automatic" scholarship you reference above? Is this the Dean's Scholarship? What are the actual requirements for this?

Also, could someone explain the details of the Public Interest Scholarship? What does this one mean?

Thanks!
Yeah I was referencing the Dean's Scholarship:
Pitt Law wrote:Students admitted prior to February 1st earning a high LSAT score of 161 or better and an undergraduate cumulative grade point average of 3.4 (on a 4.0 scale) are guaranteed the Dean’s Scholarship.
I just re-read the letter and I got the scholarship waitlist that someone else mentioned earlier - so not completely left out.

I went complete sometime in November and was part of that huge bloc that was under review from 12/8. Good luck to those still waiting

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

JDHopeful

Bronze

Post by JDHopeful » Sat Jan 29, 2011 5:56 pm

aidez-moi wrote:
JDHopeful wrote:What's this "automatic" scholarship you reference above? Is this the Dean's Scholarship? What are the actual requirements for this?

Thanks!
Yeah I was referencing the Dean's Scholarship:
Pitt Law wrote:Students admitted prior to February 1st earning a high LSAT score of 161 or better and an undergraduate cumulative grade point average of 3.4 (on a 4.0 scale) are guaranteed the Dean’s Scholarship.
I just re-read the letter and I got the scholarship waitlist that someone else mentioned earlier - so not completely left out.

I went complete sometime in November and was part of that huge bloc that was under review from 12/8. Good luck to those still waiting
Yea, I was under review til 12/8. Admitted some point last week.

Thanks for the insight!

NicRen

New

Post by NicRen » Sat Jan 29, 2011 7:07 pm

Thanks!
I only took a cursory look at the things necessary for the public interest scholarship, but it looks like it is for people who indicated on their application that they are interested in public interest law. It looks like you have to write an essay detailing your commitment to public interest, sign a set of statements prepared by Pitt that swear to your commitment to public interest, and submit two relevant letters of recommendation. It doesn't appear to be an all or nothing scholarship for a set amount of money.

I am going to start the process of applying for it tomorrow or on Monday and will let my fellow TLSers know how it goes.

SrLaw

Silver

Post by SrLaw » Sat Jan 29, 2011 7:32 pm

IN - 167/3.4

klmnumbers

New

Post by klmnumbers » Sat Jan 29, 2011 9:26 pm

Good luck to all the applicants. I'm a Pitt 2L myself, and I really like it here. I often bitch and gripe about things, but it's only because I love.

Also, if you come to Pitt, you'll be spoiled with our newly renovated basement. You get to miss out on all the "fun" construction we've been dealing with this whole year. When you lot get here, it'll be all mod and cute.

Pitt is a great city, and most of the professors are really great. I'm thrilled with my decision to move here.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

klmnumbers

New

Post by klmnumbers » Sat Jan 29, 2011 9:30 pm

gokickrocks wrote:
OGR3 wrote:Seriously, everybody who didn't get financial aid initially should contact the financial aid office. I went from $0 to over $10,000 per year with just a few emails.
I did this and was told that they forgot to include my scholarship info in the letter. Just got an e-mail telling me that I'm getting $15k. Hearing this started my Friday on a great note.
Yeah. They're not great about negotiating scholarships, but they generally bite if you talk to them. I spoke with Fin Aid in person when I was visiting schools, and they promised nothing. After a couple weeks and some e-mails back and forth, I talked my way into a little money as well.

Don't be afraid to ask!

lawschoolnonsense

New

Post by lawschoolnonsense » Sat Jan 29, 2011 9:36 pm

klmnumbers wrote:
gokickrocks wrote:
OGR3 wrote:Seriously, everybody who didn't get financial aid initially should contact the financial aid office. I went from $0 to over $10,000 per year with just a few emails.
I did this and was told that they forgot to include my scholarship info in the letter. Just got an e-mail telling me that I'm getting $15k. Hearing this started my Friday on a great note.
Yeah. They're not great about negotiating scholarships, but they generally bite if you talk to them. I spoke with Fin Aid in person when I was visiting schools, and they promised nothing. After a couple weeks and some e-mails back and forth, I talked my way into a little money as well.

Don't be afraid to ask!
How are job prospects looking for Pitt grads?

klmnumbers

New

Post by klmnumbers » Sat Jan 29, 2011 9:42 pm

lawschoolnonsense wrote:
klmnumbers wrote:
gokickrocks wrote:

Don't be afraid to ask!
How are job prospects looking for Pitt grads?
Mm I don't know that many 3Ls, so I can't say for certain regarding graduation. My own personal experience has been pretty positive though. The firm I worked for during my first summer basically told me that if I don't find a job that I really want (because they know I want to work in the government), they'll give me an office and some work after graduation.

I know Pitt's CSO has generally gotten flack in the past. However, we just replaced the head of the department, and Don seems much more energetic. In this year alone, I feel like CSO has been a much bigger presence in terms of throwing mixers and panels with local practitioners. They're also holding a panel I think this week regarding non-traditional law school employment.

lawschoolnonsense

New

Post by lawschoolnonsense » Sat Jan 29, 2011 9:44 pm

That's good to hear.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

kk19131

Silver

Post by kk19131 » Sun Jan 30, 2011 2:40 am

klmnumbers wrote:
Mm I don't know that many 3Ls, so I can't say for certain regarding graduation. My own personal experience has been pretty positive though. The firm I worked for during my first summer basically told me that if I don't find a job that I really want (because they know I want to work in the government), they'll give me an office and some work after graduation.

I know Pitt's CSO has generally gotten flack in the past. However, we just replaced the head of the department, and Don seems much more energetic. In this year alone, I feel like CSO has been a much bigger presence in terms of throwing mixers and panels with local practitioners. They're also holding a panel I think this week regarding non-traditional law school employment.

"non-traditional law school employment"?

McDonalds?

kk19131

Silver

Post by kk19131 » Sun Jan 30, 2011 11:44 am

New website!

The Gentleman

Silver

Post by The Gentleman » Sun Jan 30, 2011 12:03 pm

Received my acceptance letter and scholly info yesterday. Since I already have a better offer from a school I would prefer over Pitt, I'll be withdrawing Monday. Good luck to you folks! I hope my scholly/acceptance gets passed on to one of you!

Kinderby

Bronze

Post by Kinderby » Sun Jan 30, 2011 12:11 pm

Yup, new website, but now when I try to check my status, it goes to the L&C (or whatever school I last checked) status page. ??!

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”