Pittsburgh 2011 Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
miazdc

New

Re: Pittsburgh 2011

Post by miazdc » Thu Mar 03, 2011 2:48 pm

Update for those of you waiting on scholarship offers:

I emailed Pitt asking about my status on the "scholarship waitlist". A few days later I got 2 emails- one was a general email explaining the procedure whereby you can ask them to reconsider your scholarship amount. The other was a personalized email about my situation, which was really helpful. The email said, among other things: "At this time, we have projected to have exhausted our scholarship budget." But also said that as students withdraw, they'll be handing out more money, and that'll happen "prior to April 15th".

lh207082

New

Post by lh207082 » Thu Mar 03, 2011 6:27 pm

Did anyone else apply for the Public Interest Scholarship and/or know how much they give out with that scholarship? Current students, do you know anyone who has that scholarship and how much it is?

HarveyBirdman

New

Post by HarveyBirdman » Thu Mar 03, 2011 9:57 pm

BarbellDreams wrote:
boilerup89 wrote:
HarveyBirdman wrote:Regarding summer employment, did you guys who now go to Pitt and have found jobs for this summer, find paying positions? Is that uncommon?
Curse you birdman why didn't I make make that my name....*thinking of making reducto or Ken Sebben alt. account*

Sorry for random thread derailment 8)
Paid jobs are generally uncommon. I know of a handful of people who landed small firms paying $10-15/hr. but nothing more than that. Of course I should mention that if you are a diversity SA candidate your chances at landing, well, everything go through the roof.
Thanks for the info. No, I'm just a white male myself, so we're in the same boat.

This is a really naive question, but are judicial clerkships (like with the federal district court in Pittsburgh) paid or unpaid? I'm also guessing that's more something you go after during your 2L summer, eh?

I was also wondering about this fee waiver their web site says they offer if you go to an information session.

http://law.pitt.edu/admissions/infosessions
We are excited to offer any prospective student in attendance at any of our Group Information Sessions an application fee waiver for the upcoming 2011 admission year.
I would be applying this September to begin classes fall 2012...is this the cycle they are referring to? The dates for the info sessions ran from January 2011 to April 2011, so it seems like it would be too late to apply to people applying for a fall 2011 start, but the wording "upcoming 2011 admission year" was confusing to me. I'd like to go to the session in April and get a fee waiver.

BarbellDreams

Gold

Post by BarbellDreams » Thu Mar 03, 2011 10:01 pm

HarveyBirdman wrote:
BarbellDreams wrote:
boilerup89 wrote:
HarveyBirdman wrote:Regarding summer employment, did you guys who now go to Pitt and have found jobs for this summer, find paying positions? Is that uncommon?
Curse you birdman why didn't I make make that my name....*thinking of making reducto or Ken Sebben alt. account*

Sorry for random thread derailment 8)
Paid jobs are generally uncommon. I know of a handful of people who landed small firms paying $10-15/hr. but nothing more than that. Of course I should mention that if you are a diversity SA candidate your chances at landing, well, everything go through the roof.
Thanks for the info. No, I'm just a white male myself, so we're in the same boat.

This is a really naive question, but are judicial clerkships (like with the federal district court in Pittsburgh) paid or unpaid? I'm also guessing that's more something you go after during your 2L summer, eh?

I was also wondering about this fee waiver their web site says they offer if you go to an information session.

http://law.pitt.edu/admissions/infosessions
We are excited to offer any prospective student in attendance at any of our Group Information Sessions an application fee waiver for the upcoming 2011 admission year.
I would be applying this September to begin classes fall 2012...is this the cycle they are referring to? The dates for the info sessions ran from January 2011 to April 2011, so it seems like it would be too late to apply to people applying for a fall 2011 start, but the wording "upcoming 2011 admission year" was confusing to me. I'd like to go to the session in April and get a fee waiver.
No idea about the waiver but I can answer your judicial internships question:

Plenty of 1Ls get judicial internships with federal judges, its definitely not for just 2Ls. With that said, the vast majority of judicial internships are unpaid. I have so far only seen 1 judicial internships (State Supreme Court) which was paid, the rest were unpaid. Unpaid internships can get you credits at the law school though so at least thats something.

Dr. Review

Gold

Post by Dr. Review » Fri Mar 04, 2011 3:06 am

BarbellDreams wrote: Plenty of 1Ls get judicial internships with federal judges, its definitely not for just 2Ls. With that said, the vast majority of judicial internships are unpaid. I have so far only seen 1 judicial internships (State Supreme Court) which was paid, the rest were unpaid. Unpaid internships can get you credits at the law school though so at least thats something.
Some judges prefer 2Ls (the one I will be working for) but I think that most are not only willing to take 1Ls, but generally take more of them than they do 2Ls. Unless you want to clerk (which is a topic I won't really broach here) you generally want to do your 2L summer in a field that might get you a permanent job offer after graduation (firm or something along those lines).

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

seriously????

Bronze

Post by seriously???? » Fri Mar 04, 2011 4:29 pm

hey guys, i'm sure this is posted somewhere a few pages back, but are schollies offered with the acceptance letters? thanks for the time saver. I haven't done much research, but I bet for a PA resident and especially Pittsburgh natives, Pitt will give one better job prospects than any T30 could, provided one is comfortable with PA. However, can't afford Pitt at sticker.

rs2004

Silver

Post by rs2004 » Fri Mar 04, 2011 4:35 pm

seriously???? wrote:hey guys, i'm sure this is posted somewhere a few pages back, but are schollies offered with the acceptance letters? thanks for the time saver. I haven't done much research, but I bet for a PA resident and especially Pittsburgh natives, Pitt will give one better job prospects than any T30 could, provided one is comfortable with PA. However, can't afford Pitt at sticker.
yes, my scholarship award was written in bold in my acceptance letter.
i think there was one person who did not see his/her award in the letter, called the office, and was informed that she actually did get a scholarship.

bport hopeful

Gold

Post by bport hopeful » Fri Mar 04, 2011 5:21 pm

Were there decisions this week?

gokickrocks

Bronze

Post by gokickrocks » Fri Mar 04, 2011 5:26 pm

seriously???? wrote:hey guys, i'm sure this is posted somewhere a few pages back, but are schollies offered with the acceptance letters? thanks for the time saver. I haven't done much research, but I bet for a PA resident and especially Pittsburgh natives, Pitt will give one better job prospects than any T30 could, provided one is comfortable with PA. However, can't afford Pitt at sticker.
They should be included with the accepetance letters. In my case, they didn't give me one initially but told me that they forgot to include it with my acceptance letter. Turns out that I was given one of their tuition scholarships for $13k.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

gin

Bronze

Post by gin » Fri Mar 04, 2011 6:05 pm

bport hopeful wrote:Were there decisions this week?
I think I remember seeing someone who got admitted this week but I can't remember if it was THIS week. According to LSN there were some WLs earlier in the week and they were rejecting people a few hours ago

bport hopeful

Gold

Post by bport hopeful » Fri Mar 04, 2011 6:26 pm

gin wrote:
I think I remember seeing someone who got admitted this week but I can't remember if it was THIS week. According to LSN there were some WLs earlier in the week and they were rejecting people a few hours ago
RAGE

gin

Bronze

Post by gin » Fri Mar 04, 2011 7:02 pm

bport hopeful wrote:
gin wrote:
RAGE
atleast we are not in the rejections

upside11

New

Post by upside11 » Fri Mar 04, 2011 7:27 pm

Decision today. Denied via status checker. Under Review 1/19. Good luck to everyone else!

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

alisabey

New

Post by alisabey » Sat Mar 05, 2011 7:46 am

I think you should go for it. its a nice opportunity.. and Pittsburgh also a vry good place..you can have an idea from here

http://www.greenpittsburgh.net

Albatross

Bronze

Post by Albatross » Sat Mar 05, 2011 4:10 pm

Waitlisted here.

bport hopeful

Gold

Post by bport hopeful » Sat Mar 05, 2011 5:53 pm

Albatross wrote:Waitlisted here.
When did you hear?

SrLaw

Silver

Post by SrLaw » Sat Mar 05, 2011 6:30 pm

Hoping to withdrawal from Pitt soon. 42K in $ back open.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

yabuddy

New

Post by yabuddy » Sun Mar 06, 2011 1:14 pm

Quick question for negotiating scholarships,

Are you directing your emails towards the admissions or financial aid office?

Thanks

Also, is anyone willing to read my letter and give advice?
Last edited by yabuddy on Sun Mar 06, 2011 1:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

northwood

Platinum

Post by northwood » Sun Mar 06, 2011 1:15 pm

i directed mine to the person who wrote and signed the admission letter

kk19131

Silver

Post by kk19131 » Sun Mar 06, 2011 1:41 pm

Does Pitt get any Biglaw placement?

dreakol

Silver

Post by dreakol » Sun Mar 06, 2011 5:53 pm

kk19131 wrote:Does Pitt get any Biglaw placement?
BIGWESTERNPALAW

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

kk19131

Silver

Post by kk19131 » Sun Mar 06, 2011 6:30 pm

dreakol wrote:
kk19131 wrote:Does Pitt get any Biglaw placement?
BIGWESTERNPALAW
And that consists of...?

HOPEFORCHANGE

Bronze

Post by HOPEFORCHANGE » Sun Mar 06, 2011 6:37 pm

ReedSmith and K & L Gates basically. Perhaps BurnsWhite and Marshall, Dennehey, Warner, Coleman & Goggin and others could also be considered that too. My legal mentor told me Duquesne students do the litigation work and Pitt students usually do BigLaw/corporate. Just so everyone knows, BigLaw may seem glamarous, but it is very cut-throat and it isn't your only option. Plus, you will be working your a** off for years and most likely treated poorly by the partners. It is for some people, but everyone. I speak from experience and from others' experiences.

BarbellDreams

Gold

Post by BarbellDreams » Sun Mar 06, 2011 10:57 pm

K&L Gates is actually based out of Pittsburgh. Pittsburgh has about 6-7 biglaw firms and like 20-30 midlaw firms. Its placement is roughly the same as all the other upper end T2's.

Dr. Review

Gold

Post by Dr. Review » Mon Mar 07, 2011 2:14 am

For those of you wondering who the $$ negotiations should go to... Meme Jeffries.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”