Pittsburgh 2011

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
User avatar
Spinozist21
Posts: 522
Joined: Fri Mar 26, 2010 11:23 am

Pittsburgh 2011

Postby Spinozist21 » Fri Sep 17, 2010 1:31 pm

Probably not too many people here applying to Pitt Law for 2011, but I thought I would get a thread started anyways.

I turned in my app today...ED. Numbers are a little lopsided lower LSAT and higher-than-average GPA.

Neways...good l uck to all!

User avatar
Barbie
Posts: 3746
Joined: Mon Jun 07, 2010 8:51 pm

Re: Pittsburgh 2011

Postby Barbie » Fri Sep 17, 2010 7:35 pm

Also applying to pitt! good luck :)

User avatar
Spinozist21
Posts: 522
Joined: Fri Mar 26, 2010 11:23 am

Re: Pittsburgh 2011

Postby Spinozist21 » Fri Sep 17, 2010 11:57 pm

Barbie wrote:Also applying to pitt! good luck :)


Have you already submitted? What numbers do you have? :D

HOPE to see you in fall 2011!

User avatar
Barbie
Posts: 3746
Joined: Mon Jun 07, 2010 8:51 pm

Re: Pittsburgh 2011

Postby Barbie » Sat Sep 18, 2010 11:47 am

Spinozist21 wrote:
Barbie wrote:Also applying to pitt! good luck :)


Have you already submitted? What numbers do you have? :D

HOPE to see you in fall 2011!


Next week! and PMed!

User avatar
nphsbuckeye
Posts: 124
Joined: Sat Aug 07, 2010 1:06 am

Re: Pittsburgh 2011

Postby nphsbuckeye » Sun Sep 19, 2010 5:56 pm

I'll apply after taking the December LSAT (that is, unless I absolutely murder the LSAT). I don't know if I'd want to call Pittsburgh home, but I wouldn't mind going to school there.

HeavenWood
Posts: 2915
Joined: Wed Jul 28, 2010 6:42 pm

Re: Pittsburgh 2011

Postby HeavenWood » Tue Sep 28, 2010 8:22 pm

nphsbuckeye wrote:I'll apply after taking the December LSAT (that is, unless I absolutely murder the LSAT). I don't know if I'd want to call Pittsburgh home, but I wouldn't mind going to school there.


Be forewarned: Pitt is a strong regional school, but doesn't have much reach outside greater Pittsburgh.

dissonance1848
Posts: 706
Joined: Fri Aug 20, 2010 4:42 pm

Re: Pittsburgh 2011

Postby dissonance1848 » Tue Sep 28, 2010 8:24 pm

Also, beware of the Dusquense Mafia. They have more power than you imagine.....

User avatar
Spinozist21
Posts: 522
Joined: Fri Mar 26, 2010 11:23 am

Re: Pittsburgh 2011

Postby Spinozist21 » Wed Sep 29, 2010 1:24 am

HeavenWood wrote:
nphsbuckeye wrote:I'll apply after taking the December LSAT (that is, unless I absolutely murder the LSAT). I don't know if I'd want to call Pittsburgh home, but I wouldn't mind going to school there.


Be forewarned: Pitt is a strong regional school, but doesn't have much reach outside greater Pittsburgh.


It is nice, though, that Pittsburgh has 4 top 250 law firms...and for the size of the metropolitan area that is fairly significant.

Also, there are some ways you can get out of Pitt and into larger legal markets...specifically health law and work with UPMC

BTW...does ANYONE know if you get a status checker from Pitt? Or how long it takes them to get that to you?

User avatar
brochocinco
Posts: 60
Joined: Wed Mar 24, 2010 11:47 am

Re: Pittsburgh 2011

Postby brochocinco » Wed Sep 29, 2010 6:59 pm

Also applying to Pitt once I get my October LSAT score and my last LOR. Definitely not EDing but probably in my top 5. Pittsburgh is an awesome city, although Oakland sucks.

84weeks
Posts: 31
Joined: Tue Aug 31, 2010 9:41 pm

Re: Pittsburgh 2011

Postby 84weeks » Wed Sep 29, 2010 9:54 pm

Pitt did not use a status checker last cycle.

Spinozist21 wrote:
HeavenWood wrote:
nphsbuckeye wrote:I'll apply after taking the December LSAT (that is, unless I absolutely murder the LSAT). I don't know if I'd want to call Pittsburgh home, but I wouldn't mind going to school there.


Be forewarned: Pitt is a strong regional school, but doesn't have much reach outside greater Pittsburgh.


It is nice, though, that Pittsburgh has 4 top 250 law firms...and for the size of the metropolitan area that is fairly significant.

Also, there are some ways you can get out of Pitt and into larger legal markets...specifically health law and work with UPMC

BTW...does ANYONE know if you get a status checker from Pitt? Or how long it takes them to get that to you?

User avatar
Spinozist21
Posts: 522
Joined: Fri Mar 26, 2010 11:23 am

Re: Pittsburgh 2011

Postby Spinozist21 » Wed Sep 29, 2010 10:58 pm

84weeks wrote:Pitt did not use a status checker last cycle.

Spinozist21 wrote:
HeavenWood wrote:
nphsbuckeye wrote:I'll apply after taking the December LSAT (that is, unless I absolutely murder the LSAT). I don't know if I'd want to call Pittsburgh home, but I wouldn't mind going to school there.


Be forewarned: Pitt is a strong regional school, but doesn't have much reach outside greater Pittsburgh.


It is nice, though, that Pittsburgh has 4 top 250 law firms...and for the size of the metropolitan area that is fairly significant.

Also, there are some ways you can get out of Pitt and into larger legal markets...specifically health law and work with UPMC

BTW...does ANYONE know if you get a status checker from Pitt? Or how long it takes them to get that to you?


Ok, cool. Thanks. It is weird...I haven't gotten status checkers from many schools...only Ohio State actually.

I wonder if Case Western doesn't give them out either.

HeavenWood
Posts: 2915
Joined: Wed Jul 28, 2010 6:42 pm

Re: Pittsburgh 2011

Postby HeavenWood » Fri Oct 01, 2010 3:19 pm

Spinozist21 wrote:
HeavenWood wrote:
nphsbuckeye wrote:I'll apply after taking the December LSAT (that is, unless I absolutely murder the LSAT). I don't know if I'd want to call Pittsburgh home, but I wouldn't mind going to school there.


Be forewarned: Pitt is a strong regional school, but doesn't have much reach outside greater Pittsburgh.


It is nice, though, that Pittsburgh has 4 top 250 law firms...and for the size of the metropolitan area that is fairly significant.

Also, there are some ways you can get out of Pitt and into larger legal markets...specifically health law and work with UPMC

BTW...does ANYONE know if you get a status checker from Pitt? Or how long it takes them to get that to you?


I am by no means knocking Pitt. I'm only saying that a Pittsburgh-specific school may not be the best choice for someone who wouldn't want to call Pittsburgh home.
Last edited by HeavenWood on Wed Oct 13, 2010 2:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Dr. Review
Posts: 1797
Joined: Sat Jan 30, 2010 1:51 am

Re: Pittsburgh 2011

Postby Dr. Review » Wed Oct 06, 2010 9:55 am

84weeks wrote:Pitt did not use a status checker last cycle.


QFT. They don't e-mail you an acceptance, either. You get to apply and stare at the mailbox just like me and everyone else last cycle. Enjoy! :)

User avatar
Spinozist21
Posts: 522
Joined: Fri Mar 26, 2010 11:23 am

Re: Pittsburgh 2011

Postby Spinozist21 » Wed Oct 06, 2010 10:11 am

Bedsole wrote:
84weeks wrote:Pitt did not use a status checker last cycle.


QFT. They don't e-mail you an acceptance, either. You get to apply and stare at the mailbox just like me and everyone else last cycle. Enjoy! :)


How did you apply last cycle? ED or other? How long did it take to get a response?

Its actually a tad frustrating that they do not have an online status checker.

User avatar
AVBucks4239
Posts: 870
Joined: Wed Feb 10, 2010 11:37 pm

Re: Pittsburgh 2011

Postby AVBucks4239 » Thu Oct 07, 2010 2:29 am

Finally turned in my application last night. Pitt barely makes my top 5 but it's a school I'll consider much more heavily if I get in (which I think I will).

User avatar
Spinozist21
Posts: 522
Joined: Fri Mar 26, 2010 11:23 am

Re: Pittsburgh 2011

Postby Spinozist21 » Fri Oct 08, 2010 12:35 am

AVBucks4239 wrote:Finally turned in my application last night. Pitt barely makes my top 5 but it's a school I'll consider much more heavily if I get in (which I think I will).


Good luck to you!

User avatar
Dr. Review
Posts: 1797
Joined: Sat Jan 30, 2010 1:51 am

Re: Pittsburgh 2011

Postby Dr. Review » Tue Oct 12, 2010 2:11 pm

Spinozist21 wrote:
Bedsole wrote:
84weeks wrote:Pitt did not use a status checker last cycle.


QFT. They don't e-mail you an acceptance, either. You get to apply and stare at the mailbox just like me and everyone else last cycle. Enjoy! :)


How did you apply last cycle? ED or other? How long did it take to get a response?

Its actually a tad frustrating that they do not have an online status checker.


I applied non-ED. I'm on LSN if you want to see my full cycle, but I think I applied around early Feb. and heard back in early April. In the meantime, I heard nothing at all out of Pitt.

User avatar
BarbellDreams
Posts: 2256
Joined: Thu Mar 19, 2009 6:10 pm

Re: Pittsburgh 2011

Postby BarbellDreams » Thu Oct 14, 2010 9:53 am

I applied non ED in Mid November and heard nothing till my acceptance in early April. A word of warning, the acceptance letter comes in a small envelope that really looks like a rejection so dont panic when you get it.

User avatar
Gemini
Posts: 1943
Joined: Thu Mar 11, 2010 9:23 pm

Re: Pittsburgh 2011

Postby Gemini » Thu Oct 14, 2010 1:27 pm

Hi all,

I'll be applying within the next month. Waiting on October result. Pittsburgh is one of my safeties.

User avatar
Trip Coker
Posts: 66
Joined: Sun Oct 17, 2010 5:11 pm

Re: Pittsburgh 2011

Postby Trip Coker » Sun Oct 17, 2010 7:08 pm

I also applied to Pitt RD. I grew up in Pittsburgh and have spent most of my life in Western PA. While I would consider it a safety school I am having a hard time finding a good reason not to go there if my t-14 apps don't work out (which they probably won't :x ). What I mean is that even if I get into some other schools I applied to that are ranked #20-#40 it still seems like Pitt would be the best choice if I want to stay in Pittsburgh after graduation. Everyone on TLS seems to concur that once you leave the top 14 all that matters is going to the best school in your region and that is definitely Pitt. BTW Pittsburgh is an amazing city and I would be happy to try to answer any questions about the area to the best of my ability.

rubaiyatsongs
Posts: 47
Joined: Wed Oct 27, 2010 2:54 pm

Re: Pittsburgh 2011

Postby rubaiyatsongs » Wed Oct 27, 2010 3:11 pm

Hey,

I'm applying to Pitt and so far it seems like a great school for me. I'm having a hard time getting a definite answer about the political leanings of the school. I've just assumed so far that it is liberal, but can anyone confirm that? Thanks.

User avatar
OGR3
Posts: 881
Joined: Wed Dec 23, 2009 6:56 pm

Re: Pittsburgh 2011

Postby OGR3 » Wed Oct 27, 2010 3:17 pm

rubaiyatsongs wrote:Hey,

I'm applying to Pitt and so far it seems like a great school for me. I'm having a hard time getting a definite answer about the political leanings of the school. I've just assumed so far that it is liberal, but can anyone confirm that? Thanks.


The city of Pittsburgh is blue collar liberal. Democrats dominate every election largely because of union support.

I would say the school itself leans left, but it does have a relatively strong contingent of conservatives.

User avatar
joeshmo39
Posts: 533
Joined: Tue Jun 09, 2009 5:15 am

Re: Pittsburgh 2011

Postby joeshmo39 » Wed Oct 27, 2010 3:28 pm

I grew up in Pittsburgh and went to UG there and I think the city gets a bad rap. Call it being biased or call it knowing more of the facts. I think it would be a good place for law school. Go to Pitt, live fairly cheaply in Shady Side or Squirrel Hill, buy an umbrella, good times. There are a lot of good restaurants in Pittsburgh but the thing you have to remember is that it's really more a collection of neighborhoods. On Pitt's side of town you have Oakland, Squirrel Hill, Shady Side, East Liberty, Bloomfield. All good places with things to do and see. Downtown is mostly business and empties out by 6 o'clock.

User avatar
OGR3
Posts: 881
Joined: Wed Dec 23, 2009 6:56 pm

Re: Pittsburgh 2011

Postby OGR3 » Wed Oct 27, 2010 3:35 pm

joeshmo39 wrote:I grew up in Pittsburgh and went to UG there and I think the city gets a bad rap. Call it being biased or call it knowing more of the facts. I think it would be a good place for law school. Go to Pitt, live fairly cheaply in Shady Side or Squirrel Hill, buy an umbrella, good times. There are a lot of good restaurants in Pittsburgh but the thing you have to remember is that it's really more a collection of neighborhoods. On Pitt's side of town you have Oakland, Squirrel Hill, Shady Side, East Liberty, Bloomfield. All good places with things to do and see. Downtown is mostly business and empties out by 6 o'clock.


I'm from out of state and the amount of people who gave me crazy looks when I told them I was moving to Pittsburgh was probably in the thousands.

I love it here. It's much different than how it's been portrayed...

User avatar
kartal
Posts: 125
Joined: Sat Dec 26, 2009 3:19 pm

Re: Pittsburgh 2011

Postby kartal » Wed Oct 27, 2010 3:46 pm

dissonance1848 wrote:Also, beware of the Dusquense Mafia. They have more power than you imagine.....


Can you elaborate on this Dusquense Mafia business? What do you mean?




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”