Tennessee 2011

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
User avatar
Bud2003
Posts: 25
Joined: Tue Sep 28, 2010 10:55 pm

Re: Tennessee 2011

Postby Bud2003 » Wed Jun 08, 2011 8:51 am

Yawgmoth wrote:Has there been any movement on the waitlist for anyone?


I'm still "patiently" waiting <runs to check e-mail, voicemail, and status checker> :cry:

User avatar
Yawgmoth
Posts: 6
Joined: Fri Mar 11, 2011 4:03 pm

Re: Tennessee 2011

Postby Yawgmoth » Wed Jun 08, 2011 4:48 pm

Bud2003 wrote:I'm still "patiently" waiting <runs to check e-mail, voicemail, and status checker> :cry:


That makes two of us.

Lord Randolph McDuff
Posts: 1587
Joined: Wed Jun 08, 2011 4:37 pm

Re: Tennessee 2011

Postby Lord Randolph McDuff » Wed Jun 08, 2011 5:01 pm

Was accepted to UT awhile back with a good financial package, but now am off the waitlist at a couple T-14's. I want to work in Tennessee, though, and I am having a hard time thinking about spending way more money to attend a school other than THE UNIVERSITY OF TENNESSEE for preparation for a job in Tennessee.

I know T-14 can open doors to biglaw, but I've always been a hands ya shake not grades ya make person. I feel like getting a job in a mid-sized TN town out of, for instance, Cornell, would be way harder than from UTK because I am not from TN and don't have many ties there. I feel like Nashville would be easier out of UTK than any other school save for Vandy.

Am I missing something or attributing too much to networking and not enough to "pedigree," or whatever that means?

All and any thoughts welcome.

mrwarre85
Posts: 685
Joined: Fri Feb 27, 2009 8:40 pm

Re: Tennessee 2011

Postby mrwarre85 » Wed Jun 08, 2011 5:50 pm

Lord Randolph McDuff wrote:Was accepted to UT awhile back with a good financial package, but now am off the waitlist at a couple T-14's. I want to work in Tennessee, though, and I am having a hard time thinking about spending way more money to attend a school other than THE UNIVERSITY OF TENNESSEE for preparation for a job in Tennessee.

I know T-14 can open doors to biglaw, but I've always been a hands ya shake not grades ya make person. I feel like getting a job in a mid-sized TN town out of, for instance, Cornell, would be way harder than from UTK because I am not from TN and don't have many ties there. I feel like Nashville would be easier out of UTK than any other school save for Vandy.

Am I missing something or attributing too much to networking and not enough to "pedigree," or whatever that means?

All and any thoughts welcome.



I just got in off the waitlist at another school, although it is not quite T-14, so I'm interested in this to a lesser extent as well. My instincts are kinda like yours-- maybe better to be in TN and enjoy the alumni loyalty than try to be the "oh I'm the outsider who was a better test taker than you were four years ago, dude." I've never met that guy but I'm pretty sure no one wants to be him.

User avatar
Spookyghost
Posts: 193
Joined: Sat Feb 12, 2011 10:28 pm

Re: Tennessee 2011

Postby Spookyghost » Wed Jun 08, 2011 7:43 pm

Lord Randolph McDuff wrote:Was accepted to UT awhile back with a good financial package, but now am off the waitlist at a couple T-14's. I want to work in Tennessee, though, and I am having a hard time thinking about spending way more money to attend a school other than THE UNIVERSITY OF TENNESSEE for preparation for a job in Tennessee.

I know T-14 can open doors to biglaw, but I've always been a hands ya shake not grades ya make person. I feel like getting a job in a mid-sized TN town out of, for instance, Cornell, would be way harder than from UTK because I am not from TN and don't have many ties there. I feel like Nashville would be easier out of UTK than any other school save for Vandy.

Am I missing something or attributing too much to networking and not enough to "pedigree," or whatever that means?

All and any thoughts welcome.


You want to work in Tennessee, were able to crack the T-14, and didn't apply to Vandy? While the heart of most people in TN is with the big orange, the academic prestige of Vanderbilt locks down a lot of TN lawfirm jobs better than UTK does. That being said, you finish near the top of the class at UT you'll probably have a lot of the same opportunities, but if you wanted to work in TN i find it odd you didnt apply to Vanderbilt, especially if you have the numbers to get into the t14.

ran12
Posts: 1003
Joined: Sun Oct 31, 2010 4:28 pm

Re: Tennessee 2011

Postby ran12 » Wed Jun 08, 2011 8:18 pm

Lord Randolph McDuff wrote:Was accepted to UT awhile back with a good financial package, but now am off the waitlist at a couple T-14's. I want to work in Tennessee, though, and I am having a hard time thinking about spending way more money to attend a school other than THE UNIVERSITY OF TENNESSEE for preparation for a job in Tennessee.

I know T-14 can open doors to biglaw, but I've always been a hands ya shake not grades ya make person. I feel like getting a job in a mid-sized TN town out of, for instance, Cornell, would be way harder than from UTK because I am not from TN and don't have many ties there. I feel like Nashville would be easier out of UTK than any other school save for Vandy.

Am I missing something or attributing too much to networking and not enough to "pedigree," or whatever that means?

All and any thoughts welcome.


Why exactly do you want to work in TN if you're not from TN? The T-14s will def open more doors and give you more flexibility but if TN is what you really want, UTK makes a lot of sense. If the T-14 is Duke for example though, I would def go to Duke over UTK even for TN.

User avatar
jeeptiger09
Posts: 323
Joined: Mon Oct 05, 2009 10:15 pm

Re: Tennessee 2011

Postby jeeptiger09 » Wed Jun 08, 2011 8:39 pm

Spookyghost wrote:While the heart of most people in TN is with the big orange, the academic prestige of Vanderbilt locks down a lot of TN lawfirm jobs better than UTK does.


I don't think this is true. Maybe with undergrad, but law is different. I might buy this statement for Nashville/Davidson County and surrounding areas, but elsewhere, no.

Lord Randolph McDuff wrote:Was accepted to UT awhile back with a good financial package, but now am off the waitlist at a couple T-14's. I want to work in Tennessee, though, and I am having a hard time thinking about spending way more money to attend a school other than THE UNIVERSITY OF TENNESSEE for preparation for a job in Tennessee.

I know T-14 can open doors to biglaw, but I've always been a hands ya shake not grades ya make person. I feel like getting a job in a mid-sized TN town out of, for instance, Cornell, would be way harder than from UTK because I am not from TN and don't have many ties there. I feel like Nashville would be easier out of UTK than any other school save for Vandy.

Am I missing something or attributing too much to networking and not enough to "pedigree," or whatever that means?

All and any thoughts welcome.


I think in Tennessee it's really hit or miss (talking small to mid-sized towns). Some people really like Vanderbilt, others hate it. If you're looking to stay in Tennessee and hope to possibly get to a bigger city (Nashville, Memphis, Chattanooga) and "fall back" on a small town, UT is far and away your best bet. Vandy is a terrific school, but the fact is just that many kids from VULS come from the northeast and go back.

As far as working post-grad in Tennessee without ties--well, that's going to be incredibly difficult. I wouldn't say impossible but highly unlikely. Basic logic: if a firm/company thinks there's a reasonable chance that you might leave within the first ___ years, they will likely not hire you. Having a demonstrated connection or going to school in that area/state obviously helps temper that concern. This logic is particularly prevalent in the south (as most markets are very insular) and Tennessee is not an exception.

Good luck with your decision, feel free to PM me with questions if you have them.

Lord Randolph McDuff
Posts: 1587
Joined: Wed Jun 08, 2011 4:37 pm

Re: Tennessee 2011

Postby Lord Randolph McDuff » Wed Jun 08, 2011 8:52 pm

Ghost- I didn't apply to Vandy because I hate Vandy and I thought if I applied and got in I might actually rationalize going there. In my family "being a Vanderbilt" was used when we thought someone was being a big pussy (pardon my language). I am more of a state school guy-- in my situation UTK makes more sense than Vandy. I don't really want to work for a 100+ lawyer firm and I don't think Vandy gives you an edge over UTK for smaller firms/DA's offices in all the various parts of TN. In fact, I would suspect the opposite is true, with more alumni support and no elitist stigma that might hurt you if you ever ran for office, etc.. Additionally, I thought either go big or go home and I didn't think Vandy was as cool as say Cornell or Columbia. Maybe that is just my own personal biases coming through but when I think Vandy I think rich and when I think Columbia I think smart and important. I know that is awful and incredibly short-sited, but hey, we're all human and we're all irrational at our cores.

Ran- I don't want to get into specifics about numbers/schools because I've heard these boards are monitored by the various employees of the different admissions office. That said, the other schools do not include Duke (although, my fiancee went to Duke for undergrad and I would never go there because then I couldn't tease her about being a huge "Vanderbilt" what with her silver spoon in her mouth and all that). The two schools are not in the South, and I have 1 and 1/2 more days to consider one offer and a week to consider the other.

I'm confused because only one year ago when I got my LSAT back I didn't know that I wanted to work in TN and I was excited about competing with uber smart people at some big fancy T-14. Now I see that as a huge splitter I can just barely get into them and I am not really eligible for scholarships (or, at any rate, I received none). I also realized that I didn't go to some uber smart undergrad and so there are probably plenty of intelligent and interesting individuals at state law schools like UTK.

There is also a girl involved who wants me to go to UTK. Or my fiancee. Whatever that sounds weird.

So, what do you think?

ran12
Posts: 1003
Joined: Sun Oct 31, 2010 4:28 pm

Re: Tennessee 2011

Postby ran12 » Wed Jun 08, 2011 8:59 pm

Based on what you've said, it makes sense to go to UTK. What's great about UTK is its location right next to congressional, senate, and DA offices. It'll be pretty easy to do an internship during the year and network. Both US senators from TN have UTK ties and so does the congressman who represents the district. Their offices would be a great way to build ties to the area. There's virtually no way you'll be able to get to TN from the T-14s you're in at. If TN is where you wanna be UTK is the best option.

mrwarre85
Posts: 685
Joined: Fri Feb 27, 2009 8:40 pm

Re: Tennessee 2011

Postby mrwarre85 » Thu Jun 09, 2011 2:58 pm

Lord Randolph McDuff wrote:Ghost- I didn't apply to Vandy because I hate Vandy and I thought if I applied and got in I might actually rationalize going there. In my family "being a Vanderbilt" was used when we thought someone was being a big pussy (pardon my language). I am more of a state school guy-- in my situation UTK makes more sense than Vandy. I don't really want to work for a 100+ lawyer firm and I don't think Vandy gives you an edge over UTK for smaller firms/DA's offices in all the various parts of TN. In fact, I would suspect the opposite is true, with more alumni support and no elitist stigma that might hurt you if you ever ran for office, etc.. Additionally, I thought either go big or go home and I didn't think Vandy was as cool as say Cornell or Columbia. Maybe that is just my own personal biases coming through but when I think Vandy I think rich and when I think Columbia I think smart and important. I know that is awful and incredibly short-sited, but hey, we're all human and we're all irrational at our cores.

Ran- I don't want to get into specifics about numbers/schools because I've heard these boards are monitored by the various employees of the different admissions office. That said, the other schools do not include Duke (although, my fiancee went to Duke for undergrad and I would never go there because then I couldn't tease her about being a huge "Vanderbilt" what with her silver spoon in her mouth and all that). The two schools are not in the South, and I have 1 and 1/2 more days to consider one offer and a week to consider the other.

I'm confused because only one year ago when I got my LSAT back I didn't know that I wanted to work in TN and I was excited about competing with uber smart people at some big fancy T-14. Now I see that as a huge splitter I can just barely get into them and I am not really eligible for scholarships (or, at any rate, I received none). I also realized that I didn't go to some uber smart undergrad and so there are probably plenty of intelligent and interesting individuals at state law schools like UTK.

There is also a girl involved who wants me to go to UTK. Or my fiancee. Whatever that sounds weird.

So, what do you think?


A lot of this makes sense and some of it seems strange, but I like you. My thought is that not going to T-14 will shut doors, while going to UTK will perhaps make it easier to accomplish a few things. I think you can overcome any elitist stigma, should one even exist in the firstplace, and do very well in rural areas in terms of voters of social points from Vandy. However, doors into academia, certain biglaw firms, and certain clerkships will be completely shut by choosing UTK over Vandy/Cornell. And yeah I guess I do lump Vandy in the same category as some of the the ivies, for example. Maybe not as cool but still in the area (however, I agree with your point that it is all up to ones personal views).

Lord Randolph McDuff wrote:There is also a girl involved who wants me to go to UTK.


Tell me how important this is? I feel as though this might be at the crux of the matter.

mrwarre85
Posts: 685
Joined: Fri Feb 27, 2009 8:40 pm

Re: Tennessee 2011

Postby mrwarre85 » Thu Jun 09, 2011 3:01 pm

ran12 wrote:What's great about UTK is its location right next to congressional, senate, and DA offices. It'll be pretty easy to do an internship during the year and network. Both US senators from TN have UTK ties and so does the congressman who represents the district. Their offices would be a great way to build ties to the area.


This would of course assume that you were a republican. The district Knoxville is located in is considered one of the safest "red" districts in the nation. Although, the two state reps closest to the center of down are both moderate democrats.

ran12
Posts: 1003
Joined: Sun Oct 31, 2010 4:28 pm

Re: Tennessee 2011

Postby ran12 » Thu Jun 09, 2011 3:29 pm

mrwarre85 wrote:
ran12 wrote:What's great about UTK is its location right next to congressional, senate, and DA offices. It'll be pretty easy to do an internship during the year and network. Both US senators from TN have UTK ties and so does the congressman who represents the district. Their offices would be a great way to build ties to the area.


This would of course assume that you were a republican. The district Knoxville is located in is considered one of the safest "red" districts in the nation. Although, the two state reps closest to the center of down are both moderate democrats.


Yea you're right. Besides the scholly, I was considering UTK b/c of the political opportunities as a Republican. I guess I just assumed he was Republican for no apparent reason.

mrwarre85
Posts: 685
Joined: Fri Feb 27, 2009 8:40 pm

Re: Tennessee 2011

Postby mrwarre85 » Thu Jun 09, 2011 3:38 pm

ran12 wrote:
mrwarre85 wrote:
ran12 wrote:What's great about UTK is its location right next to congressional, senate, and DA offices. It'll be pretty easy to do an internship during the year and network. Both US senators from TN have UTK ties and so does the congressman who represents the district. Their offices would be a great way to build ties to the area.


This would of course assume that you were a republican. The district Knoxville is located in is considered one of the safest "red" districts in the nation. Although, the two state reps closest to the center of down are both moderate democrats.


Yea you're right. Besides the scholly, I was considering UTK b/c of the political opportunities as a Republican. I guess I just assumed he was Republican for no apparent reason.


I just hope the politicians in Knox are the "we use our brains and believe its possible for reasonable people to disagree," Republicans. I'm coming from rural Oklahoma/Texas where everyone loves Sarah Palin and thinks the postal service is a very competitive private company.

Lord Randolph McDuff
Posts: 1587
Joined: Wed Jun 08, 2011 4:37 pm

Re: Tennessee 2011

Postby Lord Randolph McDuff » Thu Jun 09, 2011 11:29 pm

mrwarre85 wrote:
ran12 wrote:
mrwarre85 wrote:
ran12 wrote:What's great about UTK is its location right next to congressional, senate, and DA offices. It'll be pretty easy to do an internship during the year and network. Both US senators from TN have UTK ties and so does the congressman who represents the district. Their offices would be a great way to build ties to the area.


This would of course assume that you were a republican. The district Knoxville is located in is considered one of the safest "red" districts in the nation. Although, the two state reps closest to the center of down are both moderate democrats.


Yea you're right. Besides the scholly, I was considering UTK b/c of the political opportunities as a Republican. I guess I just assumed he was Republican for no apparent reason.


I just hope the politicians in Knox are the "we use our brains and believe its possible for reasonable people to disagree," Republicans. I'm coming from rural Oklahoma/Texas where everyone loves Sarah Palin and thinks the postal service is a very competitive private company.


Lol. Well I lean left usually so, theres that. Said no to one of the schools today.. Still confused on what do to about the other.

User avatar
Spookyghost
Posts: 193
Joined: Sat Feb 12, 2011 10:28 pm

Re: Tennessee 2011

Postby Spookyghost » Sat Jun 11, 2011 12:53 pm

Lord Randolph McDuff wrote:Ghost- I didn't apply to Vandy because I hate Vandy and I thought if I applied and got in I might actually rationalize going there. In my family "being a Vanderbilt" was used when we thought someone was being a big pussy (pardon my language). I am more of a state school guy-- in my situation UTK makes more sense than Vandy. I don't really want to work for a 100+ lawyer firm and I don't think Vandy gives you an edge over UTK for smaller firms/DA's offices in all the various parts of TN. In fact, I would suspect the opposite is true, with more alumni support and no elitist stigma that might hurt you if you ever ran for office, etc.. Additionally, I thought either go big or go home and I didn't think Vandy was as cool as say Cornell or Columbia. Maybe that is just my own personal biases coming through but when I think Vandy I think rich and when I think Columbia I think smart and important. I know that is awful and incredibly short-sited, but hey, we're all human and we're all irrational at our cores.


I'm sorry, I totally misjudged you. I have an irrational hatred of Duke and a rational hatred of Vanderbilt, so I know where you're coming from.

I always just assume that everyone on TLS are all elitists looking for a BigLaw job, it's a silly assumption but the people on this site can make you pretty jaded sometimes.

From reading all your posts in this thread it seems like you're pretty set on UTK. Especially now that I know you aren't looking for that big law firm, it seems like UTK would be the winning choice here.

User avatar
soullesswonder
Posts: 553
Joined: Sat Mar 21, 2009 11:36 pm

Re: Tennessee 2011

Postby soullesswonder » Sat Jun 18, 2011 10:45 pm

mrwarre85 wrote:
I just hope the politicians in Knox are the "we use our brains and believe its possible for reasonable people to disagree," Republicans. I'm coming from rural Oklahoma/Texas where everyone loves Sarah Palin and thinks the postal service is a very competitive private company.


The 2nd Congressional District of TN has been Republican for an unbroken stretch going back to 1859. That kind of one-party dominance does not breed reasonable people...trust me (former resident of neighboring congressional district).

mrwarre85
Posts: 685
Joined: Fri Feb 27, 2009 8:40 pm

Re: Tennessee 2011

Postby mrwarre85 » Sun Jun 19, 2011 2:42 pm

soullesswonder wrote:
mrwarre85 wrote:
I just hope the politicians in Knox are the "we use our brains and believe its possible for reasonable people to disagree," Republicans. I'm coming from rural Oklahoma/Texas where everyone loves Sarah Palin and thinks the postal service is a very competitive private company.


The 2nd Congressional District of TN has been Republican for an unbroken stretch going back to 1859. That kind of one-party dominance does not breed reasonable people...trust me (former resident of neighboring congressional district).


Yeah. Wouldn't want to live in an area of total dominance by either political party-- in a perfect world. I had heard that TN was known for an open minded, independent breed of politics, though? Anyone?

User avatar
enida10
Posts: 75
Joined: Mon Jan 03, 2011 10:20 am

Re: Tennessee 2011

Postby enida10 » Sun Jun 19, 2011 9:48 pm

Who told you that? I guess it depends where you look. In the rural area, you're more likely to find the very conservative. In the cities, you'll find some open minded folks, but we all pretty lean fairly conservative. Me? I'm a Chattanooga libertarian, so I vote for who I like.

mrwarre85
Posts: 685
Joined: Fri Feb 27, 2009 8:40 pm

Re: Tennessee 2011

Postby mrwarre85 » Mon Jun 20, 2011 12:59 am

enida10 wrote:Who told you that? I guess it depends where you look. In the rural area, you're more likely to find the very conservative. In the cities, you'll find some open minded folks, but we all pretty lean fairly conservative. Me? I'm a Chattanooga libertarian, so I vote for who I like.


I like conservatives and liberals, I just really like people who can come to a compromise and be respectful about it. I have lived in conservative territory my whole life though, and I'm not worried about Knox County.

willia44
Posts: 4
Joined: Tue May 31, 2011 7:53 pm

Re: Tennessee 2011

Postby willia44 » Wed Jun 29, 2011 8:59 pm

Any new wait list movement out there?

mrwarre85
Posts: 685
Joined: Fri Feb 27, 2009 8:40 pm

Re: Tennessee 2011

Postby mrwarre85 » Thu Jun 30, 2011 9:58 am

willia44 wrote:Any new wait list movement out there?



Well I'm about to withdraw so there is hope. Very sad about this even though I feel like it is the smart thing to do.

Really liked UT and Knoxville.

Good luck to the waitlisters.

User avatar
Bud2003
Posts: 25
Joined: Tue Sep 28, 2010 10:55 pm

Re: Tennessee 2011

Postby Bud2003 » Thu Jun 30, 2011 10:14 am

mrwarre85 wrote:
willia44 wrote:Any new wait list movement out there?



Well I'm about to withdraw so there is hope. Very sad about this even though I feel like it is the smart thing to do.

Really liked UT and Knoxville.

Good luck to the waitlisters.


Thanks for being considerate! Where did you decide to attend?

Who else on here (other than myself) is waiting on Tennessee?

User avatar
Yawgmoth
Posts: 6
Joined: Fri Mar 11, 2011 4:03 pm

Re: Tennessee 2011

Postby Yawgmoth » Fri Jul 01, 2011 6:37 am

Bud2003 wrote:Who else on here (other than myself) is waiting on Tennessee?


I'm still hoping to receive a phone call from Tennessee.

Beastinthecourtroom
Posts: 13
Joined: Fri Nov 05, 2010 10:55 am

Re: Tennessee 2011

Postby Beastinthecourtroom » Fri Jul 01, 2011 10:30 pm

Yawgmoth wrote:
Bud2003 wrote:Who else on here (other than myself) is waiting on Tennessee?


I'm still hoping to receive a phone call from Tennessee.


Anxiously.

User avatar
Bud2003
Posts: 25
Joined: Tue Sep 28, 2010 10:55 pm

Re: Tennessee 2011

Postby Bud2003 » Tue Jul 05, 2011 2:35 pm

Online checker says "A status update letter has been mailed". No phone call, no voice messages, and the status section is now blank...this can't be good. :cry: :( :cry:

Welp, if negative news is in-fact in transit, I guess I'll have to wait till 2012 to catch up with some of you. We'll see though.




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Baby Gaga, BACsop, lillawyer2 and 6 guests