Tennessee 2011

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
Spookyghost

Re: Tennessee 2011

Postby Spookyghost » Wed Apr 20, 2011 4:28 pm

In off the waitlist. Got the call today.

toochthemooch

Postby toochthemooch » Wed Apr 20, 2011 5:27 pm

Spookyghost wrote:In off the waitlist. Got the call today.

Congrats man... that's awesome!

jaymaynard

Postby jaymaynard » Wed Apr 20, 2011 5:37 pm

Spookyghost wrote:In off the waitlist. Got the call today.

Congrats...jealous

Spookyghost

Postby Spookyghost » Wed Apr 20, 2011 6:17 pm

toochthemooch wrote:Congrats man... that's awesome!

jaymaynard wrote:
Congrats...jealous

Thank you both, and Jay, don't give up hope, I expect there to be a significant amount of movement over the next few months.

mrwarre85

Postby mrwarre85 » Wed Apr 20, 2011 7:53 pm

Spookyghost wrote:

jaymaynard wrote:
Congrats...jealous

Thank you both, and Jay, don't give up hope, I expect there to be a significant amount of movement over the next few months.

I honestly had a bad feeling about you getting in. I know that doesn't mean anything and I'm not sure why I said it.

I'm really happy for you.

Bud2003

Postby Bud2003 » Wed Apr 20, 2011 10:12 pm

Spookyghost wrote:

jaymaynard wrote:
Congrats...jealous

Congrats! They just got my waitlist materials today, so I'm going to be doing "the wait" for the next howeverlong.

Spookyghost

Postby Spookyghost » Thu Apr 21, 2011 12:41 am

mrwarre85 wrote:
Spookyghost wrote:

jaymaynard wrote:
Congrats...jealous

I honestly had a bad feeling about you getting in. I know that doesn't mean anything and I'm not sure why I said it.

A bad feeling as in, you didn't think I would get in, or a bad feeling as in, it is bad that I was going to get in?

Regardless, it's all insignificant now! Been a good day!

Spookyghost

Postby Spookyghost » Thu Apr 21, 2011 3:08 am

Bud2003 wrote:
Spookyghost wrote:

jaymaynard wrote:
Congrats...jealous

Congrats! They just got my waitlist materials today, so I'm going to be doing "the wait" for the next howeverlong.

Write a good LOCI! Karen Britton told me how important it is to them to offer people spots off the WL who are most likely to accept. That being said, I had anticipated a wait of at least another month, and was shocked to hear back so quickly. I do believe I heard the next big seat deposit date is June 1, but obviously there is movement in between seat deposits!

Based on this thread alone it is looking like Tennessee is going to have a killer entering class this fall - the people in this thread have been pretty awesome.

mrwarre85

Postby mrwarre85 » Thu Apr 21, 2011 12:55 pm

Spookyghost wrote:
mrwarre85 wrote:
Spookyghost wrote:

jaymaynard wrote:
Congrats...jealous

A bad feeling as in, you didn't think I would get in, or a bad feeling as in, it is bad that I was going to get in?

Regardless, it's all insignificant now! Been a good day!

Wow. It feels like that one time my dad didn't believe me when I said my that stepsisters were the ones who knocked the kool-aid over, and not me. Come on, Spookyghost, you can't think like that. Besides, I was supportive from day 1.

Spookyghost

Postby Spookyghost » Thu Apr 21, 2011 1:02 pm

mrwarre85 wrote:
Wow. It feels like that one time my dad didn't believe me when I said my that stepsisters were the ones who knocked the kool-aid over, and not me. Come on, Spookyghost, you can't think like that. Besides, I was supportive from day 1.

Haha I know you were, it was the phrasing that confused me. I feel a sense of internet bonding with you all 8).

mrwarre85

Postby mrwarre85 » Thu Apr 21, 2011 6:27 pm

Ok great, lets consider the whole episode squashed.

Any OOS admitted students on the board? When will you be moving to TN?

toochthemooch

Postby toochthemooch » Thu Apr 21, 2011 7:17 pm

mrwarre85 wrote:Ok great, lets consider the whole episode squashed.

OOS here... probably moving down to knoxville in beginning of august... maybe take a week to get adjusted before orientation... gotta go down and look at apartments sometime soon after i graduate in 2 weeks...

on that note... anyone have any strong recommendations on apartments? are people looking at getting roommates or living in a one br or studio?

Bud2003

Postby Bud2003 » Thu Apr 21, 2011 7:37 pm

I am OOS, grown up a Carolina Gamecock fan...but always had a weird fondness for the Vols though (can't explain it). Citadel grad and Masters degree from WVU...

I'll figure out the whole moving thing if UTK let's my behind in.

mrwarre85

Postby mrwarre85 » Thu Apr 21, 2011 7:59 pm

Bud2003 wrote:

I am OOS, grown up a Carolina Gamecock fan...but always had a weird fondness for the Vols though (can't explain it). Citadel grad and Masters degree from WVU...

I'll figure out the whole moving thing if UTK let's my behind in.

Hey man, good luck.

I'll be moving in early August and attending UTK in all likelihood. Thinking of living in graduate student housing right across from the law school. Will definitely be buying a house in Knoxville for the 2L year.

enida10

Postby enida10 » Thu Apr 21, 2011 8:26 pm

I've just come from 2 trips to knoxville looking for housing. I had about 15 apartments on my list, looked at 10 in Knoxville and just reserved my space in one yesterday.

Which place you pick all depends on what you're looking for. I was looking for safe, quiet and not too terribly far from campus. I anguished between one 3 blocks away from campus (16th place) and the one I'm staying at now (9 blocks), but I think the one I chose was ultimately the best for me (The Tower at Morgan Hill.) Living by myself for now, but open to a female grad student roommate.

What do you guys think?

Spookyghost

Postby Spookyghost » Thu Apr 21, 2011 8:44 pm

I'm gonna start hunting for an apartment at some point in May after I graduate undergrad and go back to TN. Might actually need a 2 bedroom because my brother (starting undergrad) might live with me.

I really like the Tower at Morgan Hill, I say it's well worth the ~800ish a month. Parking on campus can be a hassle which is I considered on campus housing, but having lived in an apartment by myself for 2 years I don't know if I want to go back to that setting just yet. ever.

ran12

Postby ran12 » Thu Apr 21, 2011 8:46 pm

enida10 wrote:I've just come from 2 trips to knoxville looking for housing. I had about 15 apartments on my list, looked at 10 in Knoxville and just reserved my space in one yesterday.

Which place you pick all depends on what you're looking for. I was looking for safe, quiet and not too terribly far from campus. I anguished between one 3 blocks away from campus (16th place) and the one I'm staying at now (9 blocks), but I think the one I chose was ultimately the best for me (The Tower at Morgan Hill.) Living by myself for now, but open to a female grad student roommate.

What do you guys think?

How is the Tower at Morgan Hill. Can't find any reviews on it. Do you think it's ideal for a law student and did you get the feeling it was mostly UG or grad students living there?

Spookyghost

Postby Spookyghost » Thu Apr 21, 2011 9:17 pm

ran12 wrote:
enida10 wrote:I've just come from 2 trips to knoxville looking for housing. I had about 15 apartments on my list, looked at 10 in Knoxville and just reserved my space in one yesterday.

What do you guys think?

How is the Tower at Morgan Hill. Can't find any reviews on it. Do you think it's ideal for a law student and did you get the feeling it was mostly UG or grad students living there?

I stopped by there when I was home for Christmas right before UTK's Christmas holidays and it seems to be more undergrads than grad students. But don't hold me to that. I thought the rooms were fantastic though,

mrwarre85

Postby mrwarre85 » Thu Apr 21, 2011 9:46 pm

Spookyghost wrote:
ran12 wrote:

What do you guys think?

I stopped by there when I was home for Christmas right before UTK's Christmas holidays and it seems to be more undergrads than grad students. But don't hold me to that. I thought the rooms were fantastic though,

If its quiet I wouldn't care if there were lots of undergrads. Perhaps there are grad student only floors? I would think they would try to use their space to accommodate all the different students. The location is good but I would probably still ride the bus to school. That probably says something negative about me, but oh well.

Spookyghost

Postby Spookyghost » Thu Apr 21, 2011 9:54 pm

mrwarre85 wrote:
Spookyghost wrote:
ran12 wrote:

What do you guys think?

If its quiet I wouldn't care if there were lots of undergrads. Perhaps there are grad student only floors? I would think they would try to use their space to accommodate all the different students. The location is good but I would probably still ride the bus to school. That probably says something negative about me, but oh well.

That you don't like to suffer the agonizing parking space roulette every day? Who can blame you?

jeeptiger09

Postby jeeptiger09 » Thu Apr 21, 2011 11:01 pm

There are a few law students that live at the Tower, probably 5 or 6 from my class that I know of. They all like it, the apartments are furnished and really nice. Their only complaint is that rent is a little high for a single, but the location is probably the reason for that.

enida10

Postby enida10 » Fri Apr 22, 2011 10:01 am

You probably can't find reviews because it just opened up last July. Brand spankin' new. You could very well be the 1st or 2nd person to live in your apt. Granite countertops, faux hardwood, it's really nice. (edit--oh and new stainless steel fridge, and gas stainless steel stovetop.)

It's 800ish, but everything is included--fully furnished (no tv), electricity, water, internet, cable. If you're cold, put the heat on blast and you don't have to worry about that bill next month. Paying only one check a month is a plus too. I agree, undergrads are prolly there, but when I visited, I saw 2 older buisness-type men sitting in the lobby. The landlady knew one of their names, so it made me think he was a resident. So hopefully, it's a mix. I'm under the impression the walls aren't paper thin, so if there is a little noise it could be drowned out by a tv or a loud fan. They have a study area on the 1st floor, a computer lab (with a printer that they supply the ink for, you only have to bring your own paper), a gym, an atm, and it's near a KAT bus stop.

Plus, if we all lived in the same building and got lucky on class roulette, it would be easier to study together. One of us is bound to have a quiet apt. With any luck, anyway.

I promise I don't work for this place; I was just really impressed. And kind of excited to be back to living on my own after a year with my parents @.@

toochthemooch

Postby toochthemooch » Fri Apr 22, 2011 11:25 am

enida10 wrote:
It's 800ish, but everything is included--fully furnished (no tv), electricity, water, internet, cable. If you're cold, put the heat on blast and you don't have to worry about that bill next month. Paying only one check a month is a plus too.

where did you see this? all i'm seeing is "Cable & internet included in rent"... both on their website and the knoxville apartment guide website

enida10

Postby enida10 » Fri Apr 22, 2011 11:39 am

Rent is $765 plus a flat utilites rate of $45. So I already had that figured into the rent by my calculations. So it ends up about $810.

It's in the brochure I got. And the contract I signed. It was UTK property before some guy from NY bought the building and renovated it. So, it has some sort of central water heating system that pumps water and warms the place with it.

I don't know the name of the type of system it is, but hey, can't beat $45 for electricity and water.

toochthemooch

Postby toochthemooch » Fri Apr 22, 2011 12:00 pm

enida10 wrote:Rent is $765 plus a flat utilites rate of $45. So I already had that figured into the rent by my calculations. So it ends up about $810.

It's in the brochure I got. And the contract I signed. It was UTK property before some guy from NY bought the building and renovated it. So, it has some sort of central water heating system that pumps water and warms the place with it.

I don't know the name of the type of system it is, but hey, can't beat $45 for electricity and water.

That's unreal... $810 per month fully furnished and within walking distance... sending in the lease app now haha

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”