Tennessee 2011

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
burnerclassic
Posts: 12
Joined: Thu Nov 11, 2010 2:25 pm

Re: Tennessee 2011

Postby burnerclassic » Wed Mar 23, 2011 7:13 pm

Hi guys. Just wondering how many OOS students are seriously considering UTK? They are in my top two choices now, but even with 7k/year scholarship, at the end of three years I'm looking at around $132,000 of debt.

It's a really fine school, and everyone there has been great. I'm just a bit concerned about that price.

Thoughts?

User avatar
enida10
Posts: 75
Joined: Mon Jan 03, 2011 10:20 am

Re: Tennessee 2011

Postby enida10 » Wed Mar 23, 2011 7:30 pm

You can't become instate after a year or so?

jaymaynard
Posts: 118
Joined: Sun Feb 06, 2011 6:58 am

Re: Tennessee 2011

Postby jaymaynard » Wed Mar 23, 2011 7:59 pm

enida10 wrote:You can't become instate after a year or so?


I think Tennessee is much more strict than most states in giving OOSers residency after a year

mrwarre85
Posts: 685
Joined: Fri Feb 27, 2009 8:40 pm

Re: Tennessee 2011

Postby mrwarre85 » Wed Mar 23, 2011 9:22 pm

enida10 wrote:You can't become instate after a year or so?


I plan on only paying out-of-state for one year. I'm engaged and I'm making my fiancee transfer apple stores to knoxville so I can marry her in Tennessee and save 40 grand in tuition.

User avatar
Spookyghost
Posts: 193
Joined: Sat Feb 12, 2011 10:28 pm

Re: Tennessee 2011

Postby Spookyghost » Wed Mar 23, 2011 9:23 pm

mrwarre85 wrote:
enida10 wrote:You can't become instate after a year or so?


I plan on only paying out-of-state for one year. I'm engaged and I'm making my fiancee transfer apple stores to knoxville so I can marry her in Tennessee and save 40 grand in tuition.


Hell, that's genius.

I am a Tennessee resident who has been living out of Tennessee for school for the past 4 years and they gave me a runaround trying to tell me I wasn't a resident, so it really wouldn't surprise me if they're super strict with who they deem in-state.

mrwarre85
Posts: 685
Joined: Fri Feb 27, 2009 8:40 pm

Re: Tennessee 2011

Postby mrwarre85 » Wed Mar 23, 2011 9:53 pm

By the way anyone else get the admitted students email pertaining to employment earlier this week? Thought it was interesting that A. they were being transparent and B. they reported significantly worse numbers to prospective students than they had to (class of 2009 was just released by usnews and UT looked great, 2010 only shows 80% employed nine months out).

burnerclassic
Posts: 12
Joined: Thu Nov 11, 2010 2:25 pm

Re: Tennessee 2011

Postby burnerclassic » Wed Mar 23, 2011 9:58 pm

Spookyghost wrote:
mrwarre85 wrote:
enida10 wrote:You can't become instate after a year or so?


I plan on only paying out-of-state for one year. I'm engaged and I'm making my fiancee transfer apple stores to knoxville so I can marry her in Tennessee and save 40 grand in tuition.


Hell, that's genius.

I am a Tennessee resident who has been living out of Tennessee for school for the past 4 years and they gave me a runaround trying to tell me I wasn't a resident, so it really wouldn't surprise me if they're super strict with who they deem in-state.


mrwarre85, that is a fantastic plan. I hope that works out.

I have read and heard about the difficulty in establishing residency in the state of TN. As I understand it, simply getting a law degree in TN won't be enough. Basically, you either have to be married to a TN resident or have demonstrated employment/intent to work in the state as a 2L or have one lined up for your third year (something like that - not 100% sure on the details, if anyone knows them better please clarify).

Found this on their website as well: http://registrar.utk.edu/residency/resappeal.shtml

In any event (barring marriage and TN employment), I think I'll be looking at the OOS tuition for the full duration.

User avatar
enida10
Posts: 75
Joined: Mon Jan 03, 2011 10:20 am

Re: Tennessee 2011

Postby enida10 » Thu Mar 24, 2011 12:25 am

Anyone going to the Johnson City Alum reception tomorrow?

User avatar
jwaters
Posts: 224
Joined: Tue Jun 22, 2010 12:02 pm

Re: Tennessee 2011

Postby jwaters » Thu Mar 24, 2011 11:23 am

Withdrew today, good luck to everyone still waiting.

rdp08
Posts: 4
Joined: Tue Feb 01, 2011 2:40 pm

Re: Tennessee 2011

Postby rdp08 » Thu Mar 24, 2011 1:56 pm

deliriousxix wrote:Does anybody know if UT offers travel stipends for OOS accepted students? I looked through the thread and I don't see anybody talking about it.. I really wanna visit.


I asked and they responded that they don't.

I still plan on going to ASD though.

Deathcab
Posts: 22
Joined: Mon Feb 21, 2011 11:35 pm

Re: Tennessee 2011

Postby Deathcab » Thu Mar 24, 2011 4:53 pm

my date (finally) moved today from 2/18 to 3/24... status is still "Review"

hoping this isn't a bad thing...

User avatar
jeeptiger09
Posts: 323
Joined: Mon Oct 05, 2009 10:15 pm

Re: Tennessee 2011

Postby jeeptiger09 » Thu Mar 24, 2011 6:17 pm

It's possible to get in-state here, but difficult.

The best way is to get married to a Tennessee resident but seeing as how that isn't the easiest or most convenient thing in the world, here are some other suggestions:
-when you get here, change everything to TN (license, license plates [pain in the ass], auto policy, health insurance if possible)
-get involved, it shows you care about local community (through different bar associations, etc.)
-make sure that TN is your geographic presence when it comes to the job search
-offers of employment in state are key
-getting in-state for 3L is a lot easier than 2L (a summer offer 2L year shows a strong intention to stay in TN; 1L offers are harder to get and also don't necessarily show the same thing)
-the process isn't set in stone, it's very subjective, so you have to 'present your strongest case' to the board that makes the decision.

Hope that helps.

mrwarre85
Posts: 685
Joined: Fri Feb 27, 2009 8:40 pm

Re: Tennessee 2011

Postby mrwarre85 » Tue Mar 29, 2011 6:04 pm

jeeptiger09 wrote:It's possible to get in-state here, but difficult.

The best way is to get married to a Tennessee resident but seeing as how that isn't the easiest or most convenient thing in the world, here are some other suggestions:
-when you get here, change everything to TN (license, license plates [pain in the ass], auto policy, health insurance if possible)
-get involved, it shows you care about local community (through different bar associations, etc.)
-make sure that TN is your geographic presence when it comes to the job search
-offers of employment in state are key
-getting in-state for 3L is a lot easier than 2L (a summer offer 2L year shows a strong intention to stay in TN; 1L offers are harder to get and also don't necessarily show the same thing)
-the process isn't set in stone, it's very subjective, so you have to 'present your strongest case' to the board that makes the decision.

Hope that helps.


I better ask if the marriage thing will work FOR SURE. Also anyone going to ASD?

User avatar
enida10
Posts: 75
Joined: Mon Jan 03, 2011 10:20 am

Re: Tennessee 2011

Postby enida10 » Tue Mar 29, 2011 11:20 pm

I'll be there!

toochthemooch
Posts: 20
Joined: Thu Mar 10, 2011 2:49 pm

Re: Tennessee 2011

Postby toochthemooch » Tue Mar 29, 2011 11:37 pm

enida10 wrote:I'll be there!


+1

User avatar
Thunder Jones
Posts: 102
Joined: Wed Dec 23, 2009 12:06 pm

Re: Tennessee 2011

Postby Thunder Jones » Wed Mar 30, 2011 7:40 am

We've ASD this week and a seat deposit on the horizon. Anyone starting to think about moving? What areas are you guys looking at? It seems like West Knoxville is popular. I'm also looking at Fountain City (north of UT). Anyone else looking for a new home?

User avatar
enida10
Posts: 75
Joined: Mon Jan 03, 2011 10:20 am

Re: Tennessee 2011

Postby enida10 » Wed Mar 30, 2011 8:46 am

I'm looking at the downtown/Ft. Saunders area. Makes life easier to be able to walk few blocks to the law building. The challenge is finding some place quiet...

mrwarre85
Posts: 685
Joined: Fri Feb 27, 2009 8:40 pm

Re: Tennessee 2011

Postby mrwarre85 » Wed Mar 30, 2011 10:44 am

If all goes well I'll be looking for a roommate somewhere within walking distance to the school. I'll be a good guy to be in a lease with because I'm clean more importantly will spend a lot of time out of the house (my SO will have her own place).

toochthemooch
Posts: 20
Joined: Thu Mar 10, 2011 2:49 pm

Re: Tennessee 2011

Postby toochthemooch » Wed Mar 30, 2011 11:28 am

Anyone know anything or have any opinions about University Heights apartments?

User avatar
Spookyghost
Posts: 193
Joined: Sat Feb 12, 2011 10:28 pm

Re: Tennessee 2011

Postby Spookyghost » Wed Mar 30, 2011 12:26 pm

toochthemooch wrote:Anyone know anything or have any opinions about University Heights apartments?


Stay away. Theyre total crapholes. When I was younger I used to party there with friends who were undergrads. Have only heard horror stories about management and maintenance. They will attempt to charge you for anything and everything, refuse to help or take an inane amount of time doing so. There are also a ton of insect and car breakin problems.

The price is ok if you can handle roommates, but there really isn't much else going on. They are loud, dirty, and there are generally dozens of better places in knox unless you want to drink with a bunch of undergrads.

toochthemooch
Posts: 20
Joined: Thu Mar 10, 2011 2:49 pm

Re: Tennessee 2011

Postby toochthemooch » Wed Mar 30, 2011 12:30 pm

Spookyghost wrote:
toochthemooch wrote:Anyone know anything or have any opinions about University Heights apartments?


Stay away. Theyre total crapholes. When I was younger I used to party there with friends who were undergrads. Have only heard horror stories about management and maintenance. They will attempt to charge you for anything and everything, refuse to help or take an inane amount of time doing so. There are also a ton of insect and car breakin problems.

The price is ok if you can handle roommates, but there really isn't much else going on. They are loud, dirty, and there are generally dozens of better places in knox unless you want to drink with a bunch of undergrads.


I mean... Isn't the point of law school to have three years to frat harder than I did in undergrad?

ran12
Posts: 1003
Joined: Sun Oct 31, 2010 4:28 pm

Re: Tennessee 2011

Postby ran12 » Wed Mar 30, 2011 1:31 pm

toochthemooch wrote:
Spookyghost wrote:
toochthemooch wrote:Anyone know anything or have any opinions about University Heights apartments?


Stay away. Theyre total crapholes. When I was younger I used to party there with friends who were undergrads. Have only heard horror stories about management and maintenance. They will attempt to charge you for anything and everything, refuse to help or take an inane amount of time doing so. There are also a ton of insect and car breakin problems.

The price is ok if you can handle roommates, but there really isn't much else going on. They are loud, dirty, and there are generally dozens of better places in knox unless you want to drink with a bunch of undergrads.


I mean... Isn't the point of law school to have three years to frat harder than I did in undergrad?


Yea dude if you wanna chill and be a bro for the rest of your life with no job.

toochthemooch
Posts: 20
Joined: Thu Mar 10, 2011 2:49 pm

Re: Tennessee 2011

Postby toochthemooch » Wed Mar 30, 2011 2:14 pm

ran12 wrote:
toochthemooch wrote:
Spookyghost wrote:
toochthemooch wrote:Anyone know anything or have any opinions about University Heights apartments?


Stay away. Theyre total crapholes. When I was younger I used to party there with friends who were undergrads. Have only heard horror stories about management and maintenance. They will attempt to charge you for anything and everything, refuse to help or take an inane amount of time doing so. There are also a ton of insect and car breakin problems.

The price is ok if you can handle roommates, but there really isn't much else going on. They are loud, dirty, and there are generally dozens of better places in knox unless you want to drink with a bunch of undergrads.


I mean... Isn't the point of law school to have three years to frat harder than I did in undergrad?


Yea dude if you wanna chill and be a bro for the rest of your life with no job.


It was a joke......

hmmhaa77
Posts: 24
Joined: Sat Feb 19, 2011 3:51 pm

Re: Tennessee 2011

Postby hmmhaa77 » Thu Mar 31, 2011 9:55 am

First off, do not live at university heights. If you are going to be driving anyway you can do better. Second, if you are wanting somewhere quiet do not live in the fort sanders area. Yes it is very convenient and I have lived there for 3 years now, but I have also dealt with people outside of my window at night crying (girls) or throwing up (guys). Also had my car wrecked into while parked on the street. I just don't think it will be very conducive for the seriousness of law school and I will be living somewhere else next year, if I choose UT.

wwhooper
Posts: 8
Joined: Fri Dec 17, 2010 12:00 pm

Re: Tennessee 2011

Postby wwhooper » Thu Mar 31, 2011 10:43 am

I spent two years of UG in Ft. Sanders, and although they were probably the best two years of my life, I would not recommend living there to anyone seeking peace and quiet. My house was robbed twice, my car was hit while parked on the road multiple times, and dealing with homeless people looking for beer cans on my porch was a daily affair. The majority of the housing in the Fort is pretty horrible as well. And, as a previous poster mentioned, you will probably be within earshot of some undergrads getting shitty every night.

The convenience of the Fort is certainly nice though. Parking is really terrible at UT, so being able to walk to class makes the daily routine a lot less stressful. There are also a few nice apartments if you look hard enough: any of the Renaissance condos are nice, and you may be able to find a recently remodeled house/efficiency apartment that isn't bad. Plus being able to walk to the bars significantly reduces drunk transportation costs (and DUI risks).




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: amberb94, Anon.y.mousse., Long shot hero, studyingeveryday and 14 guests