Tennessee 2011

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
zrcm18

Re: Tennessee 2011

Postby zrcm18 » Fri Dec 17, 2010 9:37 pm

ran12 wrote:Just got the Law Scholar and Research Associate award which pays my tuition, insurance, and gives me a nice stipend to do research with faculty. Wasn't planning on going to Tenn since I'm from NY but this makes things interesting.

when did you apply? After this semester my GPA will be a 3.65, and I have a 160 LSAT...I would be thrilled if I got a research associate position. However, since I was not offered the position when I was accepted I guess that means I won't get it.....

ran12

Postby ran12 » Fri Dec 17, 2010 9:51 pm

zrcm18 wrote:
ran12 wrote:Just got the Law Scholar and Research Associate award which pays my tuition, insurance, and gives me a nice stipend to do research with faculty. Wasn't planning on going to Tenn since I'm from NY but this makes things interesting.

when did you apply? After this semester my GPA will be a 3.65, and I have a 160 LSAT...I would be thrilled if I got a research associate position. However, since I was not offered the position when I was accepted I guess that means I won't get it.....

I was accepted in Oct and got the award today.

ehh2109

Postby ehh2109 » Sun Dec 19, 2010 11:23 am

I got it by email Friday, too. I have to say, it's a pretty awesome offer.

brentonk

Postby brentonk » Mon Dec 20, 2010 4:08 pm

Accepted via phone call :)

bergg007

Postby bergg007 » Mon Dec 20, 2010 4:12 pm

Accepted by Phone call!!! (at last)

jwaters

Postby jwaters » Mon Dec 20, 2010 6:10 pm

bergg007 wrote:Accepted by Phone call!!! (at last)

congrats

jeeptiger09

Postby jeeptiger09 » Wed Dec 22, 2010 4:10 am

Hey all, congrats to all who have been accepted into Tennessee!

I'm a 1L at UT right now and I would be happy to answer any questions that you might have about the school/students/professors!

jwaters

Postby jwaters » Wed Dec 22, 2010 12:02 pm

jeeptiger09 wrote:Hey all, congrats to all who have been accepted into Tennessee!

I'm a 1L at UT right now and I would be happy to answer any questions that you might have about the school/students/professors!

What's your most and least favorite thing about UT?

jeeptiger09

Postby jeeptiger09 » Fri Dec 24, 2010 1:03 pm

My favorite thing about UT is probably the people, I have a great section and the people I have met from the other sections are really cool. I would say about 95% of the people here are great, there are a few exceptions (but there are these kinds of people [read: gunners] everywhere). Some of the gunners even come out and drink with the rest of us, so that might give you an idea that most people here are pretty down to earth. We also have a great facility, a gorgeous building with a nice library. I have a lot of other things I like about UT, but I'll leave it at that without rambling.

The thing I hate the most is probably something that is prevalent everywhere--law school is very much like high school. You're with the same group of people for almost every class, you have lockers, you bring your lunch in a brown bag, etc. It can get old, since 1Ls are always in the building, sometimes it feels like people are always in your shit. Like I said, it's probably like this everywhere, but it's definitely something that is noticeable.

Hope that helps. Keep the questions coming.

Thunder Jones

Postby Thunder Jones » Tue Dec 28, 2010 10:57 am

jeeptiger09 wrote:Hey all, congrats to all who have been accepted into Tennessee!

How would you describe the culture at UT Law? Relaxed, tense, drinking, sober, conservative, liberal? I'm glad to hear that the gunner culture isn't too strong.

groberts

Postby groberts » Tue Dec 28, 2010 11:05 am

Thanks for answering questions. From what you can tell thus far, what's the job market like out of UT Law?

jeeptiger09

Postby jeeptiger09 » Sat Jan 01, 2011 10:36 pm

The culture is really great, there are plenty of people from all walks of life in my class. We have a large variety of everyone, from those coming straight from undergrad to those who are married with kids. Not sure what the exact numbers are for age, but my guess is the average age of our class would be 23 or 24.

We are in the South so you're generallly going to get a more conservative feel, but there are a surprising amount of liberal people. I would hardly call it a liberal atmosphere, but there are definitely people from the left at the school, so you shouldn't be worried about being surrounded by southern baptists in the bible. And I think everyone is definitely respectful of each other.

I think you would be hard pressed to find a law school where things are "relaxed" by normal standards. Most people in law school are type-A, and that always makes for interesting interactions. Overall, I would say that UT is competitive but definitely not cutthroat. You'll find a lot of people who really want to succeed and spend a lot of time in the library, but you won't find anything like the Paper Chase (ripping pages out of books, etc.). Of course you will find gunners everywhere you go, but it's not a cool/popular/prevalent thing at UT.

As far as drinking, most people have a "work hard, play hard" attitude. SBA has a bar review (called Rump Court) every Thursday where many law students go out to a different bar every week and just relax. SBA also puts on a big halloween party in the fall and a Barrister's Ball in the spring. We also tailgate for football games in the fall and have a bowling league in the spring. On the flip side, I know plenty of people in my class that don't drink, and there's still plenty of stuff to do. Knoxville is a decent sized town and there is always something going on.

Regarding the job market, it's hard for me to give you a complete picture because I'm a 1L and we haven't done 1L OCI yet. But from what I have gathered, things aren't as bad as they are elsewhere. Tennessee is definitely the primary market for UT students, and I think there is a big advantage of having four good-sized cities (Memphis, Nashville, Knoxville and Chattanooga) in the state. The most popular destination is Nashville, but Knoxville is popular too. Being the state university of Tennessee, UT has a ton of connections to attorneys across the state. It also helps that a lot of Vanderbilt students head back to the Northeast after graduation. I can't say with authority that Nashville firms don't hire Vandy grads, but I have heard that they are hesitant to hire them (because Vandy grads will take jobs in Nashville and lateral out a few years later, something firms hate).

Students also look for jobs in Atlanta, Charlotte and DC (and other places, but those are the most popular). I would guess that the top 15-20% go for Big Law and the rest do other traditional routes (medium sized firms, clerkships, etc.). Just because of the economy, finding a paid 1L summer job is difficult, but there are a lot of opportunities with clerkships and public positions (US District Attorney's offices, etc.). Sorry I can't be of more help. If you have specific questions about jobs, I can definitely ask and get some answers for you.

groberts

Postby groberts » Sun Jan 02, 2011 9:28 am

jeeptiger09 wrote:Regarding the job market, it's hard for me to give you a complete picture because I'm a 1L and we haven't done 1L OCI yet. But from what I have gathered, things aren't as bad as they are elsewhere. Tennessee is definitely the primary market for UT students, and I think there is a big advantage of having four good-sized cities (Memphis, Nashville, Knoxville and Chattanooga) in the state. The most popular destination is Nashville, but Knoxville is popular too. Being the state university of Tennessee, UT has a ton of connections to attorneys across the state. It also helps that a lot of Vanderbilt students head back to the Northeast after graduation. I can't say with authority that Nashville firms don't hire Vandy grads, but I have heard that they are hesitant to hire them (because Vandy grads will take jobs in Nashville and lateral out a few years later, something firms hate).

Students also look for jobs in Atlanta, Charlotte and DC (and other places, but those are the most popular). I would guess that the top 15-20% go for Big Law and the rest do other traditional routes (medium sized firms, clerkships, etc.). Just because of the economy, finding a paid 1L summer job is difficult, but there are a lot of opportunities with clerkships and public positions (US District Attorney's offices, etc.). Sorry I can't be of more help. If you have specific questions about jobs, I can definitely ask and get some answers for you.

Awesome, thanks. I was wondering about what 1Ls do in the summer too so that's good info.

jwaters

Postby jwaters » Mon Jan 03, 2011 12:21 pm

Where do most of the law students live? Ive heard West Knoxville is quiet, peaceful, not full of undergrads, etc.

How do the journals work, are they all write-on?

How is the law building and other facilities?

Are most of your fellow students looking to get jobs in TN?

How much time do you (and other students) usually spend studying/reading on the weekends?

jeeptiger09

Postby jeeptiger09 » Mon Jan 03, 2011 10:17 pm

jwaters wrote:Where do most of the law students live? Ive heard West Knoxville is quiet, peaceful, not full of undergrads, etc.

Most people live out in West Knoxville. For those of you not familiar with the area, it's the nicest area of Knoxville, about 10 minutes from campus. People live everywhere from Kingston Pike to West Hills, so the commute can vary from 10 mins to 25. Traffic isn't awful, but during rush hours and gamedays, I-40 can be a pain in the ass.

Students also live in South Knoxville, downtown in Market Square, 4th and Gill and in the Fort. Living in South Knoxville will probably end after this year because they just closed the Henley Street Bridge (main bridge connecting downtown to South Knox) for two years to renovate. People that I know that live downtown and in Market square really like it, it's a great area, but rent is higher. On the bright side, you're close to a lot of restaurants and bars downtown and in Old City. Don't know too much about 4th and Gill, so I won't comment on that. Some people choose to live in the Fort (Fort Sanders, the area immediately around campus). This is nice because you can walk to class, but the Fort does have its sketchy areas, and parking can be a pain. Just depends on your preference.

One more note: parking around campus can be a pain in the ass. If you're not on campus before 9:30, good luck finding a spot or a meter anywhere. However, this probably won't be a problem because as a 1L you will likely have class at 8 or 9.

jwaters wrote:How do the journals work, are they all write-on?

Not exactly sure. I know Tennessee Law Review is completely write-on. You have a bluebook exam, then you have to do some kind of brief (all of this happens the summer after your 1L year), then they judge those and let you know if you made it. Sorry I can't be of more help, if I get more information about it, I will post it here.

The other journals, Tennessee Journal of Law and Policy and Tennessee Journal of Business Law, are also write-on. TJLP has a mandatory meeting and a bluebook exam. Not sure about Transactions, but I can get more info and get back to you. As you can tell, this stuff really comes into play at the end of your 1L year.

jwaters wrote:How is the law building and other facilities?

After visiting 10+ law schools, I can honestly say that Tennessee has a world-class facility. It used to be half of our current building, and I think they expanded in the late 90s. We have excellent classrooms and incredible technology. As a 1L, your main classes (Torts, Contracts, Criminal Law and Contracts) with your entire section will be in the larger classrooms on the 1st and 2nd floors. These classrooms are larger and equipped with lots of technology and comfortable rolly chairs. You'll also take Legal Process in a section of 15-20 students, usually in a smaller classroom on the 3rd floor. The professors are all housed on the other half of the building, and their offices are easily accessible. Our library is very nice. I don't know about the volumes/journals/reporters of other schools, but I imagine they are all similar wherever you go. We have like 300 individual study carrels and two large reading rooms with plenty of natural light (important if you spend a lot of time there).

UT's campus isn't the best and I blame that on the fact that it's more urban. But the law building has a great location, we're right on Cumberland (also known as the Strip), only three blocks away from all the campus bars and restaurants. We're also right across the street from the UC (student center), which includes a bowling alley in the basement, a bookstore and a large food court (Chick-Fil-A, Sbarro, Subway, more). We're also 3 blocks from Neyland Stadium and about a 10-15 minute walk from the TRECS (campus rec center).

jwaters wrote:Are most of your fellow students looking to get jobs in TN?

I would say yes, but I can't speak for everybody. I think the latest stats given to us by Career Services showed that between 60 and 75% stay in Tennessee. With two of the larger markets in the South in TN (Memphis and Nashville), that isn't that surprising.

jwaters wrote:How much time do you (and other students) usually spend studying/reading on the weekends?

It really depends. I used Sundays as my big day to get everything done, and I would usually put in anywhere from 4 to 10 hours, depending on how much I had to get done. Keep in mind this is because I usually did NOTHING on the other weekend days. By Friday, I was so mentally exhausted from the long week that I would take the afternoon off to go to the pool or go for a run. I'm also a huge college football junkie, so UT games and SEC football dominated my Saturdays. I would always get up on Sunday and head to the library.

Hope that helps, let me know if you all have other questions/comments.

jwaters

Postby jwaters » Mon Jan 03, 2011 11:40 pm

Thank you for the responses, they are very helpful. I have one last issue. I was looking at the first year curriculum, and most of the classes have two parts...as in Contracts I in the fall and Contracts II in the spring. But most of the other schools I have looked at only have maybe one or two of these year-long courses. Do you know why UT has so many? (Civ Pro, Contracts, Torts, and Legal Process all have two parts)

jeeptiger09

Postby jeeptiger09 » Tue Jan 04, 2011 6:23 pm

jwaters wrote:Thank you for the responses, they are very helpful. I have one last issue. I was looking at the first year curriculum, and most of the classes have two parts...as in Contracts I in the fall and Contracts II in the spring. But most of the other schools I have looked at only have maybe one or two of these year-long courses. Do you know why UT has so many? (Civ Pro, Contracts, Torts, and Legal Process all have two parts)

UT is actually pretty standard when it comes to the curriculum. I have found that they do a good job in giving everyone a base knowledge and letting students pick and choose upper level courses (and even offer two different tracks). I did some research on similar schools to see what their curriculum requirements are and found some info for you:

Tennessee Requirements (38 hours):
Contracts (6 hours), Criminal Law (3), Civil Procedure (6), Torts (6), Property (4), Process [Legal Research/Writing] (6), Con Law (4), Legal Profession (3), writing requirement

Kentucky Requirements (38 hours):
Contracts (6 hours), Criminal Law (3), Civil Procedure (6), Torts (4), Property (4), LRW (3), Con Law (3), Professional Responsibility (3), additional seminar writing requirement (3), Professional Skills requirement (3)

Vanderbilt Requirements (37 hours):
Contracts (4 hours), Criminal Law (3), Civil Procedure (4), Torts (4), Property (4), LRW (4), Con Law (3), Life of the Law (1), Regulatory State (4), Professional Responsibility (3), Professional Skills requirement (3), substantive research paper

Alabama Requirements (38 hours):
Contracts (5 hours), Criminal Law (4), Civil Procedure (4), Torts (4), Property (4), LRW (4), Con Law (4), Evidence (3), Legal Profession (3), Professional Skills requirement (3)

Georgia Requirements (34 hours):
Contracts (6 hours), Criminal Law (3), Civil Procedure (6), Torts (6), Property (6), LRW (4), Legal Profession (3)

It seems as though UT's requirements are pretty similar to most (especially UGA). UT puts a strong emphasis on Legal Research and Writing (which is a good thing, ask most employers), and they also do the Part I/Part II thing for convenience. I could not imagine Torts for 4 hours each week, and i'm glad I don't have to. I have no idea how Vandy cuts Contracts down to 4 hours, when almost everyone else is at 6. And for Bama/Vandy to keep Civ Pro at 4 is also crazy to me (sure, Civil Procedure isn't the most important thing, and probably the least practical thing you'll learn, but it's still really important to know jurisdiction/res/erie/FRCP and I can't imagine cramming that into one semester).

Hope that helps.

sammykeb

Postby sammykeb » Fri Jan 07, 2011 4:05 pm

In via phone call! (Status checker still says "Review" with date updated to today)

CmonSD

Postby CmonSD » Fri Jan 07, 2011 4:57 pm

Congrats!!! My status checker changed from Review 9/27 to Review 1/5. No phone call though : (

itsGrand

Postby itsGrand » Fri Jan 07, 2011 5:06 pm

Mine was also updated to yesterday's date, 1/6. No phone call as of yet however... ugh.

fiery_searcher

Postby fiery_searcher » Tue Jan 18, 2011 6:49 pm

Tag.

WB333

Postby WB333 » Wed Jan 19, 2011 1:02 pm

Does anyone know when scholarship info comes out?

Barbie

Postby Barbie » Wed Jan 19, 2011 1:03 pm

WB333 wrote:Does anyone know when scholarship info comes out?

+1

Moral_Midgetry

Postby Moral_Midgetry » Wed Jan 19, 2011 1:10 pm

tag

charlesxavier

Postby charlesxavier » Wed Jan 19, 2011 1:12 pm

WB333 wrote:Does anyone know when scholarship info comes out?

I looked back at last years thread a while ago and I believe it was around January 20th that people started reporting that they received a financial aid package.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”