Tennessee 2011 Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
bergg007

Bronze

Re: Tennessee 2011

Post by bergg007 » Thu Dec 02, 2010 5:04 pm

jwaters wrote:
bergg007 wrote:What're job prospects like for tennessee? My wife and I have been looking at a ton of schools and Knoxville seems like a sweet place to live, Low COA and COL, really good schools, and we like small towmns, and knoxville is pretty small, (she's from Dallas and I'm from CA so most things are small to us). But I don't know anything about in town/state job prospects I've received their job listing thing but it's not terribly helpful, can anyone fill me in?

P.S. I'm not set on Big or small law either seems fine. and My wife and i have both lives in small towns,(less than 5,000 people so knoxville will be fine with its pop. 173000, it's small but big enough.
I am not a student at UT, but I have lived here my entire life and spoken to many grads. Don't go to Tennessee unless you plan on staying there for a long time. However, if you do plan on staying and don't want Biglaw, UT is a good school to go to. It is 2nd in the state only to Vanderbilt, and many Vandy grads have no intentions of staying in Tenn. It has a strong alumni base, and grads get jobs in Knoxville, Chattanooga, Memphis, and of course Nashville. Tuition is also very cheap, even for OOS.
If we go there then we are planning on staying for the long haul, so you would say it's likely a good choice then?

jwaters

Bronze

Post by jwaters » Thu Dec 02, 2010 5:23 pm

bergg007 wrote:
jwaters wrote:
bergg007 wrote:What're job prospects like for tennessee? My wife and I have been looking at a ton of schools and Knoxville seems like a sweet place to live, Low COA and COL, really good schools, and we like small towmns, and knoxville is pretty small, (she's from Dallas and I'm from CA so most things are small to us). But I don't know anything about in town/state job prospects I've received their job listing thing but it's not terribly helpful, can anyone fill me in?

P.S. I'm not set on Big or small law either seems fine. and My wife and i have both lives in small towns,(less than 5,000 people so knoxville will be fine with its pop. 173000, it's small but big enough.
I am not a student at UT, but I have lived here my entire life and spoken to many grads. Don't go to Tennessee unless you plan on staying there for a long time. However, if you do plan on staying and don't want Biglaw, UT is a good school to go to. It is 2nd in the state only to Vanderbilt, and many Vandy grads have no intentions of staying in Tenn. It has a strong alumni base, and grads get jobs in Knoxville, Chattanooga, Memphis, and of course Nashville. Tuition is also very cheap, even for OOS.
If we go there then we are planning on staying for the long haul, so you would say it's likely a good choice then?
In my opinion, yes, especially if you get scholarships to help lower the debt burden. But again, I am not a student there (yet) and many TLSers would probably say no simply because it is T2.

bergg007

Bronze

Post by bergg007 » Thu Dec 02, 2010 5:53 pm

jwaters wrote:
bergg007 wrote:
jwaters wrote:

In my opinion, yes, especially if you get scholarships to help lower the debt burden. But again, I am not a student there (yet) and many TLSers would probably say no simply because it is T2.

By the same token though most tlsers only want to go big law and would never be happy in a place like Tennessee so... maybe there will be less competition. I think we'll get scholarships, but it is always hard to predict schollys for super splitters like me. i know it's easy to set up residency, so 13k a year for law school w/o scholarship sounds good on it's own.

thanks for the advice. I hope i get in, they requested some additional information from me like a week ago but the e-mail was lost in the mail. I really want to go there so hopefully it was just YP and now they'll accept me quickly. It would be exciting!!! Go Vols!

bergg007

Bronze

Post by bergg007 » Tue Dec 07, 2010 11:30 am

Thanks for applying letter just about gave me a heart attack

ehh2109

New

Post by ehh2109 » Tue Dec 07, 2010 3:30 pm

Last edited by ehh2109 on Mon Mar 05, 2012 7:11 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Wactawshus

New

Post by Wactawshus » Tue Dec 07, 2010 3:55 pm

bergg007 wrote:Thanks for applying letter just about gave me a heart attack
Seriously, me too

bergg007

Bronze

Post by bergg007 » Tue Dec 07, 2010 4:58 pm

Tennessee Just lives to torture me, they just sent me another innocuous e-mail about their holiday schedule. I keep opening my Inbox and seeing UTK thinking that this time it's for real. I'm never gonna get a decision am I?

jwaters

Bronze

Post by jwaters » Tue Dec 07, 2010 5:20 pm

Your acceptance will come via phone call and/or snail mail.....so there's no need to keep checking your email for messages from UT

Thunder Jones

Bronze

Post by Thunder Jones » Tue Dec 07, 2010 5:26 pm

Don't forget status checker. You can't check that thing maniacally enough. A change of date means something is afoot.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

ehh2109

New

Post by ehh2109 » Mon Dec 13, 2010 10:02 pm

Last edited by ehh2109 on Mon Mar 05, 2012 7:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jwaters

Bronze

Post by jwaters » Mon Dec 13, 2010 10:47 pm

ehh2109 wrote:Anyone know when log-in info for the Admitted Candidates site will come? I thought it would be in my acceptance letter but it wasn't.
Wish I knew as well. My whole acceptance from UT has kind of been underwhelming compared to Alabama. Bama sent me a ton of info about the school and Tuscaloosa, a copy of the law review and other misc. stuff, plus one of the adcoms has been emailing me about ASW. All I've gotten from Tennessee is the acceptance letter and the viewbook which I already have two copies of.

ehh2109

New

Post by ehh2109 » Tue Dec 14, 2010 10:39 am

Last edited by ehh2109 on Mon Mar 05, 2012 7:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bergg007

Bronze

Post by bergg007 » Tue Dec 14, 2010 12:25 pm

ehh2109 wrote:
jwaters wrote:
ehh2109 wrote:Anyone know when log-in info for the Admitted Candidates site will come? I thought it would be in my acceptance letter but it wasn't.
Wish I knew as well. My whole acceptance from UT has kind of been underwhelming compared to Alabama. Bama sent me a ton of info about the school and Tuscaloosa, a copy of the law review and other misc. stuff, plus one of the adcoms has been emailing me about ASW. All I've gotten from Tennessee is the acceptance letter and the viewbook which I already have two copies of.
You're still one up on me. They never sent me the viewbook...

you're all still up on me, the haven't accepted me yet...

I'm just sick of waiting, I thought I'd be in by now for sure. I figured My LSAT would make up for my GPA at least enough for Tennessee.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

deliriousxix

Bronze

Post by deliriousxix » Tue Dec 14, 2010 12:32 pm

bergg007 wrote:
ehh2109 wrote:
jwaters wrote:

I'm just sick of waiting, I thought I'd be in by now for sure. I figured My LSAT would make up for my GPA at least enough for Tennessee.
you shouldn't have a problem.. when did you submit? sometimes it takes a little bit longer with splitters.

mrwarre85

Silver

Post by mrwarre85 » Tue Dec 14, 2010 1:53 pm

bergg007 wrote:
ehh2109 wrote:
jwaters wrote:

Yeah splitters can be tricky. For instance, you have better numbers than me, but for UTK we have the exact same numbers (above one below one). Both of our numbers has the exact same effect on their medians next year, so unless they think one of us can't hack it in law school, they will choose which candidate they like the best.

bergg007

Bronze

Post by bergg007 » Thu Dec 16, 2010 8:49 pm

My bet is they'd pick the one who they think wants to go to Tennessee more, Mild YP. I don't know though, I think I'll get in but splitter cycles suck because they take for freaking ever. I just got my first acceptance yesterdy and i applied everywhere late oct. early nov.

deliriousxix

Bronze

Post by deliriousxix » Fri Dec 17, 2010 11:16 am

Has anybody seen any movement this week?? I've been UR since 12/2 and nada. Has anybody been UR for longer than that? I was reading this thread and it seems like the turn around has been pretty quick.. hopefully I'll find out something today!

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

ran12

Silver

Post by ran12 » Fri Dec 17, 2010 5:09 pm

Just got the Law Scholar and Research Associate award which pays my tuition, insurance, and gives me a nice stipend to do research with faculty. Wasn't planning on going to Tenn since I'm from NY but this makes things interesting.

jwaters

Bronze

Post by jwaters » Fri Dec 17, 2010 5:45 pm

ran12 wrote:Just got the Law Scholar and Research Associate award which pays my tuition, insurance, and gives me a nice stipend to do research with faculty. Wasn't planning on going to Tenn since I'm from NY but this makes things interesting.
Congrats. Were you notified by email? Also can you give your numbers if you dont mind?

ran12

Silver

Post by ran12 » Fri Dec 17, 2010 5:56 pm

jwaters wrote:
ran12 wrote:Just got the Law Scholar and Research Associate award which pays my tuition, insurance, and gives me a nice stipend to do research with faculty. Wasn't planning on going to Tenn since I'm from NY but this makes things interesting.
Congrats. Were you notified by email? Also can you give your numbers if you dont mind?
Yea it was email. 161 3.64

jwaters

Bronze

Post by jwaters » Fri Dec 17, 2010 5:59 pm

ran12 wrote:
jwaters wrote:
Yea it was email. 161 3.64
Cool. That's a nice offer. I would take it in a heartbeat but I'm a TN resident and want to stay here after law school.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Barbie

Gold

Post by Barbie » Fri Dec 17, 2010 6:10 pm

Did you have to apply for that seperately or was everyone automatically considered?

jwaters

Bronze

Post by jwaters » Fri Dec 17, 2010 6:24 pm

I'm pretty sure there was a box on the app you could check if you were interested in being considered.

Bill Cosby

Bronze

Post by Bill Cosby » Fri Dec 17, 2010 6:26 pm

Still trying to decide if I should apply.

jwaters

Bronze

Post by jwaters » Fri Dec 17, 2010 6:49 pm

If you didn't get a fee waiver the app is only $15, go for it!

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”