Tennessee 2011 Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
groberts

New

Re: Tennessee 2011

Post by groberts » Thu Mar 31, 2011 10:56 am

wwhooper wrote:Parking is really terrible at UT.
Commuters can just park in the 11th street garage though, right?

wwhooper

New

Post by wwhooper » Thu Mar 31, 2011 11:17 am

groberts wrote:
There's definitely a commuter lot there and it's probably the closest one to the law school, but I don't park there so I can't really say whether or not it fills up during the day. It seems that UT always oversells parking passes, so finding a spot can be a crap shoot sometimes.

If you don't want to buy a parking pass, there is also a good amount of street parking in the Fort, although the spots close to campus grow scarce by mid-morning during the week.

ran12

Silver

Post by ran12 » Thu Mar 31, 2011 12:13 pm

wwhooper wrote:
groberts wrote:
There's definitely a commuter lot there and it's probably the closest one to the law school, but I don't park there so I can't really say whether or not it fills up during the day. It seems that UT always oversells parking passes, so finding a spot can be a crap shoot sometimes.

If you don't want to buy a parking pass, there is also a good amount of street parking in the Fort, although the spots close to campus grow scarce by mid-morning during the week.
When I visited, the law students told me that besides the commuter lot a couple blocks away there's another one about 4 blocks away and they never fully fill up.

hmmhaa77

New

Post by hmmhaa77 » Thu Mar 31, 2011 1:07 pm

You would want to park in the White Ave. Garage. It is right around the corner. The 11th street garage is further away, but it is huge so it is never really full.

mrwarre85

Silver

Post by mrwarre85 » Fri Apr 01, 2011 5:50 pm

Anyone at ASD today? Thoughts?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

mrwarre85

Silver

Post by mrwarre85 » Sat Apr 02, 2011 12:24 pm

CRICKETS. Ok well I'm still in town tonight and the SO and I would love to meet up with any prospective or current students and talk UT law. I was way late to the student forum yesterday because Tennessee is one state with two time-zones and I'm an idiot.

Thanks.

applicant135

New

Post by applicant135 » Sun Apr 03, 2011 1:31 pm

I was at the ASD on Friday. I thought that it went well (very similar to other schools that I have visited). Unless something changes in the next few weeks I will be at UTK this fall. The people seemed very friendly and all of the staff was very helpful. The building is incredible and will certainly accommodate the needs of any law student. I visited a lot of apartments and will likely live in west knoxville due to it being mich more quiet and safe. Hope that helps a little and look foward to meeting everyone in Knoxville this fall.

Spookyghost

Bronze

Post by Spookyghost » Mon Apr 04, 2011 9:16 pm

waitlisted today.

REALLY!?

mrwarre85

Silver

Post by mrwarre85 » Mon Apr 04, 2011 11:52 pm

Spookyghost wrote:waitlisted today.

REALLY!?
Man that is a bummer. I don't think UT wait lists many applicants though, so if you stick it out and continue showing interest I bet you have a good shot.

What are your other options?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Beastinthecourtroom

New

Post by Beastinthecourtroom » Tue Apr 05, 2011 11:38 am

mrwarre85 wrote:

REALLY!?
Man that is a bummer. I don't think UT wait lists many applicants though, so if you stick it out and continue showing interest I bet you have a good shot.

They have more on the waitlist this year than usual, from what I was told... Not to shit on anyone's parade or anything.

Spookyghost

Bronze

Post by Spookyghost » Tue Apr 05, 2011 7:25 pm

Beastinthecourtroom wrote:
mrwarre85 wrote:

REALLY!?

They have more on the waitlist this year than usual, from what I was told... Not to shit on anyone's parade or anything.
My waitlist letter says something that they project they would only need to admit about 28% of their applicants to fill their entering class and that they plan to use the waitlist "aggressively". At the moment I am not going to discuss my other options, but I have a few other choices - however, it wasn't until I was waitlisted that it became my first choice. Always want what you can't have, heh. The letter basically asked me to candidly consider this offer against other law school's offers - so I will be writing a detailed LOCI as soon as I get this Continued Interest form filled out.

I wasn't originally sold on Tennessee, as I am a resident and though I loved the campus when I lived in TN it's been 4 years and I thought that maybe I had imagined it to be better than it really was, but I visited again when I was at home a few weeks ago and I still love the campus (AND THE IN-STATE TUITION HELPS)

Anyway, hope to see you guys there, keeping my fingers crossed.

mrwarre85

Silver

Post by mrwarre85 » Tue Apr 05, 2011 9:01 pm

Spookyghost wrote:
mrwarre85 wrote:

REALLY!?

My waitlist letter says something that they project they would only need to admit about 28% of their applicants to fill their entering class and that they plan to use the waitlist "aggressively". At the moment I am not going to discuss my other options, but I have a few other choices - however, it wasn't until I was waitlisted that it became my first choice. Always want what you can't have, heh. The letter basically asked me to candidly consider this offer against other law school's offers - so I will be writing a detailed LOCI as soon as I get this Continued Interest form filled out.

I wasn't originally sold on Tennessee, as I am a resident and though I loved the campus when I lived in TN it's been 4 years and I thought that maybe I had imagined it to be better than it really was, but I visited again when I was at home a few weeks ago and I still love the campus (AND THE IN-STATE TUITION HELPS)

I'm rooting for you man.

toochthemooch

New

Post by toochthemooch » Tue Apr 05, 2011 9:12 pm

Spookyghost wrote:
mrwarre85 wrote:

REALLY!?

I'm rootin' for you too... but why'd you apply so late? i have fairly similar numbers but i applied back in october... which i think put me over the hump... or the fact that i'm from pennsylvania and not one person from PA goes there... either way... i bet applying earlier would have helped a lot

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Spookyghost

Bronze

Post by Spookyghost » Tue Apr 05, 2011 9:49 pm

toochthemooch wrote: I'm rootin' for you too... but why'd you apply so late? i have fairly similar numbers but i applied back in october... which i think put me over the hump... or the fact that i'm from pennsylvania and not one person from PA goes there... either way... i bet applying earlier would have helped a lot
It's complicated, and it's not very compelling. Tennessee was basically an afterthought, but I sort of had an epiphany that I wanted to go there when I was looking through old law-school related mail. I realized the deadline had already passed but they said they would still take my application - so I applied, and at the time it was not high on my list. But as time wore on the more I thought about it the more I wanted to go.

mrwarre85

Silver

Post by mrwarre85 » Thu Apr 07, 2011 1:53 pm

Anyone received a scholarship recently? I know a few people are withdrawing with money and I just wondered if anyone has picked up the spare cash..

I'm really needing some $.

Spookyghost

Bronze

Post by Spookyghost » Fri Apr 08, 2011 2:47 pm

Any idea how much of the waitlist has been utilized in the past years? I have my continued interest form + loci in, but I'd like an estimation as to how many others are on the WL, and what are the chances that a lot of people will be pulled after Seat Deposit deadlines on the 15th and early June.

Intraining

Bronze

Post by Intraining » Fri Apr 08, 2011 10:15 pm

TN resident here. Is UT still accepting applications? I'm trying to decide between FSU and Miami, and slowly having second guesses about leaving...

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Spookyghost

Bronze

Post by Spookyghost » Fri Apr 08, 2011 10:34 pm

Intraining wrote:TN resident here. Is UT still accepting applications? I'm trying to decide between FSU and Miami, and slowly having second guesses about leaving...
I would doubt it. Their priority deadline was 3/15 if memory serves, and they accepted applications a few days after because of Feb LSAT takers applying this cycle. It can't hurt to call and ask though.

Intraining

Bronze

Post by Intraining » Fri Apr 08, 2011 10:40 pm

Spookyghost wrote:
Intraining wrote:TN resident here. Is UT still accepting applications? I'm trying to decide between FSU and Miami, and slowly having second guesses about leaving...
I would doubt it. Their priority deadline was 3/15 if memory serves, and they accepted applications a few days after because of Feb LSAT takers applying this cycle. It can't hurt to call and ask though.

Well, thanks for that...there's a random five minutes of introspection. I can always come back.

Spookyghost

Bronze

Post by Spookyghost » Sat Apr 09, 2011 1:26 am

Intraining wrote:
Spookyghost wrote:

Well, thanks for that...there's a random five minutes of introspection. I can always come back.
For me, I am a TN resident but have been oos for 4 years, and then I realized I wanted to go back. I know what you're going through, in-state is hard to pass up.

mrwarre85

Silver

Post by mrwarre85 » Mon Apr 11, 2011 3:57 pm

Spookyghost wrote:
Intraining wrote:
Spookyghost wrote:

For me, I am a TN resident but have been oos for 4 years, and then I realized I wanted to go back. I know what you're going through, in-state is hard to pass up.

Ghost, you sent in your LOCI yet? I'm sure there will be waitlist movement after the deadline on the 15th, you need to get your name on the top of that list.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Intraining

Bronze

Post by Intraining » Mon Apr 11, 2011 5:08 pm

Thanks Ghost. BTW, you definitely have the best avatar on TLS.

Spookyghost

Bronze

Post by Spookyghost » Mon Apr 11, 2011 6:26 pm

mrwarre85 wrote:

Ghost, you sent in your LOCI yet? I'm sure there will be waitlist movement after the deadline on the 15th, you need to get your name on the top of that list.
Yes, letter was e-mailed late last week and they told me it was added to my file. Called today to make sure they got my continued interest form, (as I had a friend fax it because of easier access to a fax machine). All went through ok, so that's a good sign.
They recommended I write a letter to Dr. Britton as well, but I don't know if they knew I already submitted a LOCI. I don't want to border on obsessive. I want to make my presence known, but not thought of with a rolling of the eyes.

Also told me that this is the first year seat deposits were due so early (April 15), they said in the past it wasn't due until June and they hope that making it this early will give them a better idea of how many seats are going to be available in the class. That being said, the sd deadline is Friday, so I'm hoping to be pulled early next week, but if not, I'm in this for the long haul, so UT best prepare themselves. :roll:
Intraining wrote:Thanks Ghost. BTW, you definitely have the best avatar on TLS.
No arguments here.

toochthemooch

New

Post by toochthemooch » Tue Apr 12, 2011 7:21 pm

Is anyone going to the Nashville Reception on May 19th? For anyone who went to the Johnson City one, how do these work basically? Can you bring a guest or no? Any other information you'd like to give.

enida10

New

Post by enida10 » Wed Apr 20, 2011 1:37 pm

toochthemooch wrote:Is anyone going to the Nashville Reception on May 19th? For anyone who went to the Johnson City one, how do these work basically? Can you bring a guest or no? Any other information you'd like to give.
I went to the Johnson City alum thing. I'm sorry I missed the Chattanooga one, though! I live here! I just forgot to RSVP.

Anyway, it was super chill. Food was good and I brought a guest. They all thought he was going to law school and I was the arm candy, so that was fun to explain. Lol. Most people there were alums (there was one other guy that was a 0L), but the alums LOVE that you're just starting out at the law school. I used the experience to feel out the TN job market (a couple of the people there had graduated in recent years) and to network possible future employers. I met the Dean and a couple of the professors. All and all, a good experience. I missed the Chattanooga one, but I'll be there for the Nashville reception with any luck!

One quick question, mostly for old UT students/Knoxvillians. I know we were talking about parking before, but I'm bringing it up again. I posted this on the TN Class of 2014 site, but I'm thinking of buying a motorized bike/moped for law school. Is this a good way to get around the nightmare that is UT parking? Is it much easier to find a motorcycle space than a car space? And near the law school?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”