Michigan 2011

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
wyst89

Re: Michigan 2011

Postby wyst89 » Mon Mar 21, 2011 12:33 pm

Any news today? Updates, letters?

ArchRoark

Postby ArchRoark » Mon Mar 21, 2011 5:54 pm

Sent in my LOCI last week. Heres to hoping I make it off the list 8)

ArthurDigbySellers

Postby ArthurDigbySellers » Mon Mar 21, 2011 10:18 pm

Missed the apparent wave of waitlists last Friday. Still hanging on for dear life...unless a rejection letter is inbound. Oh Michigan why do you torture me so?

SherlockHolmes

Postby SherlockHolmes » Mon Mar 21, 2011 10:37 pm

Sent in LOCI today. And now... more waiting 8)

Cade McNown

Postby Cade McNown » Mon Mar 21, 2011 10:49 pm

Rejection letter via snail mail dated 3/18. With highly tailored UofM app thought I had a shot despite slightly low numbers. Oh well, good luck to those still waiting.

For reference: Submitted 1/14, Complete 2/16, Decision 3/18. Status Checker still says "Complete" 3/21, and it also read "Decision" erroneously 2 weeks ago: I wouldn't trust that thing.

ArthurDigbySellers

Postby ArthurDigbySellers » Mon Mar 21, 2011 11:32 pm

Cade McNown wrote:Rejection letter via snail mail dated 3/18. With highly tailored UofM app thought I had a shot despite slightly low numbers. Oh well, good luck to those still waiting.

For reference: Submitted 1/14, Complete 2/16, Decision 3/18. Status Checker still says "Complete" 3/21, and it also read "Decision" erroneously 2 weeks ago: I wouldn't trust that thing.

Sorry to hear that. Now I won't be able to sleep--I won't be at my home address until Sunday...

splitmuch

Postby splitmuch » Tue Mar 22, 2011 7:20 pm

Snail Mail reject today. Splitter but heavy WE and community service, solid recommendations, and tailored app so I thought the holistic process might give me a shot.

Nope.

askyemcdonald

Postby askyemcdonald » Wed Mar 23, 2011 12:01 pm

Hello Michigan....you are my last school...so can I have a decision pretty please? :D

jrose5

Postby jrose5 » Wed Mar 23, 2011 3:29 pm

splitmuch wrote:Snail Mail reject today. Splitter but heavy WE and community service, solid recommendations, and tailored app so I thought the holistic process might give me a shot.

Nope.

Hey, sorry to hear. To be honest, this whole "holistic review" concept still confuses me. I got accepted into one school known to be holistic and flat out rejected from another school that claims to be holistic. Had either median or above median #s for both...

My opinion is that "holistic" really means the adcomms tend to be a little more subjective in their decision-making.

descartesb4thehorse

Postby descartesb4thehorse » Wed Mar 23, 2011 3:47 pm

jrose5 wrote:
splitmuch wrote:Snail Mail reject today. Splitter but heavy WE and community service, solid recommendations, and tailored app so I thought the holistic process might give me a shot.

Nope.

Hey, sorry to hear. To be honest, this whole "holistic review" concept still confuses me. I got accepted into one school known to be holistic and flat out rejected from another school that claims to be holistic. Had either median or above median #s for both...

My opinion is that "holistic" really means the adcomms tend to be a little more subjective in their decision-making.

It means they'll actually once-over your PS and resume before rejecting you. Unless "cured cancer" found itself a fancy bullet point on your resume.

sanetruth

Postby sanetruth » Wed Mar 23, 2011 4:05 pm

Nope.

did you ED? clearly you didn't get ED but they might have rolled you to RD and i'm trying to see what is happening to all the ED's who got rolled to RD.

I have to say, i hear a lot of good things about the application process at michigan, but the way they acccept a bunch of EDs and then roll 90% of them to RD is kind of strange, i don't know another school that rolls that many people over and it seems to screw a lot of people over.

anyways, if you weren't ED, when did you apply? your numbers seem to be pretty decent for michigan, there are people getting accepted with worse. best of luck.

antonin

Postby antonin » Wed Mar 23, 2011 4:10 pm

sanetruth wrote:

Nope.

did you ED? clearly you didn't get ED but they might have rolled you to RD and i'm trying to see what is happening to all the ED's who got rolled to RD.

I have to say, i hear a lot of good things about the application process at michigan, but the way they acccept a bunch of EDs and then roll 90% of them to RD is kind of strange, i don't know another school that rolls that many people over and it seems to screw a lot of people over.

anyways, if you weren't ED, when did you apply? your numbers seem to be pretty decent for michigan, there are people getting accepted with worse. best of luck.

I think most schools do that. With certainty I can tell you that Columbia did it this year. Not one ED rejection was heard on TLS from that school.

ArchRoark

Postby ArchRoark » Wed Mar 23, 2011 4:20 pm

sanetruth wrote:

Nope.

I was ED rolled over to RD then waitlisted then had my one-year deferral request denied. I am pretty sure the ED-->RD-->WL is just a soft rejection.

sanetruth

Postby sanetruth » Wed Mar 23, 2011 4:34 pm

antonin wrote:
sanetruth wrote:

Nope.

I think most schools do that. With certainty I can tell you that Columbia did it this year. Not one ED rejection was heard on TLS from that school.

It just seems as though EDing to Mich with decent numbers is less of a safe bet than at any other school (with decent numbers relative to those schools too). I've heard michigan specifically states they have an abnormally small ED class, but i'm just surprised based on this years statistics how few were even accepted out of the pool. As a percentage, I'd wager that its smaller than any other T14.

splitmuch

Postby splitmuch » Wed Mar 23, 2011 4:37 pm

sanetruth wrote:

Nope.

I did not. I currently have 0 T14 acceptances (and only 1 total-WUSTL) and was even WL by GW. I think that above 75 percentile is looked at all the same so the extra cushion of the 178 doesn't do much. I also applied late (early january but a recommender's delay meant I didn't go complete at places until early february).

whitman

Postby whitman » Wed Mar 23, 2011 5:21 pm

So absurd. Working on my 6th month now...

jrose5

Postby jrose5 » Wed Mar 23, 2011 5:22 pm

whitman wrote:So absurd. Working on my 6th month now...

Maybe a LOCI at this point? Or a Why Michigan? Can't hurt.

whitman

Postby whitman » Wed Mar 23, 2011 5:23 pm

jrose5 wrote:
whitman wrote:So absurd. Working on my 6th month now...

Maybe a LOCI at this point? Or a Why Michigan? Can't hurt.

Already done both, AND followed up a month ago with a brief email.

Zabini

Postby Zabini » Wed Mar 23, 2011 6:42 pm

omg, status checker just went to Decision!!!!!!

really excited, hope this is good news.

wolverine2014

Postby wolverine2014 » Wed Mar 23, 2011 7:53 pm

Zabini wrote:omg, status checker just went to Decision!!!!!!

Hate to take away from your excitement, but if you are able to log into the admitted students website you are in. Best of luck.

Zabini

Postby Zabini » Wed Mar 23, 2011 8:18 pm

wolverine2014 wrote:

Hate to take away from your excitement, but if you are able to log into the admitted students website you are in. Best of luck.

oh ffs. now i cant decide if I want to try or not.

edit: nah, roi waiting two weeks. Here goes nothing...

edit2: sigh, looks like I'm dinged. gl everybody else
Last edited by Zabini on Wed Mar 23, 2011 8:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

tea_drinker

Postby tea_drinker » Wed Mar 23, 2011 8:19 pm

p
Last edited by tea_drinker on Fri Jun 17, 2011 11:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

wolverine2014

Postby wolverine2014 » Wed Mar 23, 2011 11:00 pm

Zabini wrote:
wolverine2014 wrote:

oh ffs. now i cant decide if I want to try or not.

edit: nah, roi waiting two weeks. Here goes nothing...

edit2: sigh, looks like I'm dinged. gl everybody else

Sorry dude....best of luck with your cycle.

bafanahoy

Postby bafanahoy » Wed Mar 23, 2011 11:39 pm

sorry to hear about the rejections guys :(
hope this doesn't come off the wrong way, but for those recently rejected when were your complete dates?

ArthurDigbySellers

Postby ArthurDigbySellers » Thu Mar 24, 2011 12:26 am

Status went to decision. Since I received no email about WL, I assume this is either a ding or admit.

That said, I think my checker updated today. I'm afraid to check, frankly.

For Admits, do you get ASW access right away or have you guys not been able to log into ASW and then been able to a day or two later? I plan on checking, but when I check, I want it to be for sure, so I might wait a couple days if this is the case.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”